Pocket knife, fixed blade, machete, tomohawk all encompassing thread

AnonymousInternetPoster

I used to have a Kershaw Cinder. Bought it for around $10, has a thumb stud for easy opening, small enough to be barely noticeable, and small enough to lose repeatedly. Seriously I’m always looking for it, but this time it may be gone for good.

Not particularly sharp, but it will open Amazon boxes like a boss.

I never knew how much I would use it (several times a day) and appreciate that you can open and close with one hand. 

9F910A47-8B12-4B48-9CDF-66D7C050A488.jpeg

17 hours ago, Bo said:

Yep, that’s it. Carbon fiber so even lighter than normal bugout it appears emoji1605.png

I have the same knife. I added a titanium backspacer to give it a little more weight in the handle, it's still light as shit but better balanced in the hand now. Also added a titanium MXG clip and a stainless steel Axis lock bar. The OEM lock bar is titanium and makes for a gritty action against the stainless blade. The stainless bar swap runs way smoother.

bugout1.jpg

bugout2.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Superhero said:

I used to have a Kershaw Cinder. Bought it for around $10, has a thumb stud for easy opening, small enough to be barely noticeable, and small enough to lose repeatedly. Seriously I’m always looking for it, but this time it may be gone for good.

I never knew how much I would use it (several times a day) and appreciate that you can open and close with one hand. 

Similarly, if you start carrying a small flashlight around you will end up using it more than a pocketknife. There are some incredibly bright flashlights these days that clip in your pocket and take up very little room.

• 5 weeks later...

I ended up getting the Pintail. I wish the Damascus version came with micarta. Anyways, many of their knives are nearly identical to the specs I want in a knife. Ideally, 3-3.25” blade, locking mechanism, deep carry clip and under $150.

This will likely not replace my special edition Kershaw Knockout as my daily, but it will get used.

After carrying the CKRT Piet pretty exclusively for a while, I brought the anti-tomahawk Swiss Army Cadet back into the rotation.

Got damn that is just a handy knife.  Slim, light, gets sharp af, easily (doesn't stay that way after hard use but so easy to bring back), and the small selection of extra tools is just a huge plus.

• Hook 'Em 1

Alright, so help me find a new EDC knife. Not that I really need one, but the one I have isn't my ideal knife. My ideal knife is basically the Benchmade 710 in D2 I lost years ago and is no longer made.

Benchmade-710.jpg

3.5 to four inch blade that isn't to heavy or thick and slims somewhat towards the tip, tip up carry option, axis style lock, available in D2 or some other tough steel, and with a handle that isn't clunky or anything. My EDC right now is a Rat 1 in D2 that is pretty handy, but not quite perfect (I would much prefer an axis style locking mechanism). The plus side is it isn't to expensive to replace, but that also means I will never lose it.

2 hours ago, Handcruser said:

91fda07a2903ac289d69a08dabbf5690.jpg

No axis lock, though . . . correct?  Not Actually said he was looking for an axis-style lock.  

Which Civivi is that -- the Elementum?  My latest knife is a Lumi, and I'm still trying to get accustomed to the flipper mechanism on that thing.  Wasn't too impressed with the sharpness out of the box, either, but that got remedied quickly on the Sharpmaker.  Build quality is very good, though.  

On 12/30/2021 at 7:42 AM, Superhero said:

Available on Amazon for under ten bucks.  https://www.amazon.com/Kershaw-1025X-Multifunction-Performance-Stonewashed/dp/B01BAJK7DE

No axis lock, though . . . correct?  Not Actually said he was looking for an axis-style lock.  

Which Civivi is that -- the Elementum?  My latest knife is a Lumi, and I'm still trying to get accustomed to the flipper mechanism on that thing.  Wasn't too impressed with the sharpness out of the box, either, but that got remedied quickly on the Sharpmaker.  Build quality is very good, though.  

Not sure. I just took a pic and didn’t mean to respond to that specific post.

14 hours ago, speed817 said:

I had noticed over the last few years that Boker was kind of upping it's game, especially with Asian-produced knives.

I went and looked at bladehq and there are some nice Bokers out there.  They seem to have taken a cue from Great Eastern and the like and come up with some pretty nice looking slipjoints with O1 steel and premiums scales and stuff (and prices to go with).

2 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

How about the Benchmade Barrage? I don’t think it comes in D2, but it looks like you need to concede some of your criteria.

That or the Benchmade Crooked River may be the closest I can find. The Crooked River is a beautiful knife, but I don't want to spend almost $300 for an EDC. I do have a Rukus around somewhere. It's a bit on the big end, but if I make a new set of slimmer scales for it and tap the handle for a new pocket clip that is actually sturdy enough for it it may do the job.

Found the Rukus

0zEUP27B_o.jpg

It was in the door slot of the van from when we went on our month long camping/road trip. At some point it got gum on it and who knows what else. I'm gonna send it in for lifesharp service and see if they clean it up real well and then make some new scales and stuff for it. It's a bit of a knoife, but it carries surprisingly well.

19 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Are the "super steels" not as tough as D2?  Kinda thought that was the whole point of super steels.

D2 isn't a true stainless.  For an EDC knife, not sure you'd see much of a difference between the two in every day application?  Both are going to be tough on grinders and hold their edge quite well.  If I was going camping or used the knife in bush-craft or survival situations, I'd go for the highest quality I could afford.  

https://knifesteelnerds.com/2021/10/19/knife-steels-rated-by-a-metallurgist-toughness-edge-retention-and-corrosion-resistance/

D2 is fine because its cheap and easily sharpened, that's its niche.  But there are better options.  As far as corrosion, unless you are literally on the water, just taking 30 seconds to oil your knife after you used it on anything remotely acidic will keep it from rusting.

Edited by Hozz
  • Hook 'Em 1

23 hours ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

My EDC gets beat up a bit at work, D2 seems to be a bit tougher for the type of stuff I do. It doesn't look like there is anything in D2 that meets my other criteria, though.

I suppose some of the super steels are tempered harder than D2, which may make them brittle.  But then again, that's D2's advantage over non-super-steels:  the carbides it forms make it abrasion-resistant without having to make the entire blade hard and brittle.

I have some background in metallurgy, but haven't really dug into what precisely makes the super steels super.

On 2/11/2022 at 2:43 PM, TwiceHorn said:

Are the "super steels" not as tough as D2?  Kinda thought that was the whole point of super steels.

I dunno I like fancy things but I have chipped 2 of my powder-steel knives (s90 and s110) over the last few years. But thin grinds and regarded uses may have been a factor (steel balls, glass hammers and whatnot).

Because of hard usage I always liked carbon blades (but also easy sharpening), so D2 is a huge upgrade from a corrosion perspective. I personally would be indifferent between D2 and, say, S30 although objectively the latter is probably better in most measures. All that said lately I have been abusing a Spyderco in H1, which is an ultra-stainless steel (which I don't really care about except hot summer days I rust my back-pocket Carbon blades) with some downsides but it is nearly unbreakable.

Was gonna upload a few pics (have a shot of a chipped s110 blade) but I can't login there so I'll come back later.

23 hours ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

My EDC gets beat up a bit at work, D2 seems to be a bit tougher for the type of stuff I do. It doesn't look like there is anything in D2 that meets my other criteria, though.

SIAP I don't like 940s because my fat fingers can't open them but they are very popular and look similar to that knife you posted upthread. Cabela's has a D2 version (940-1601:

But yeah, $250 for this seems a bit high. But don't let that stop you (swayze, probably)!

https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/benchmade-osborne-940-1601-folding-knife

spacer.png

Edited by GringoSalado
940, 942, whatever it takes

45 minutes ago, GringoSalado said:

I dunno I like fancy things but I have chipped 2 of my powder-steel knives (s90 and s110) over the last few years. But thin grinds and regarded uses may have been a factor (steel balls, glass hammers and whatnot).

I somehow broke off the tiniest little bit of the tip on a Benchmade Arcane (s90) popping off the back of a plastic car key fob while replacing the battery.  Maddening.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Knives are for cutting. Not prying. But you knew that and I also probably would have done the same thing.

Yeah.  I am generally not hard on my knives and I would hesitate to even call this prying, although technically sure it was.  If I didn't have the knife on me I would have used a flat head or even a butter knife.  As I was doing it, I was worried about the key fob plastic getting damaged, not the knife blade.  

Yeah.  I am generally not hard on my knives and I would hesitate to even call this prying, although technically sure it was.  If I didn't have the knife on me I would have used a flat head or even a butter knife.  As I was doing it, I was worried about the key fob plastic getting damaged, not the knife blade.  

The irony right? I do have a Gerber pry bar multi tool on my keychain that has come in handy more than a few times.