ALCS: Astros vs. Red Sox

UTexasFight

1 hour ago, JimmyHoffa said:

Whoops-

Both lost 4 game to 1 in the ALCS/NLCS the year after winning the WS. 

I mean the end result was the same, but nobody in their right mind could say that the Astros had a "hangover."  They got beat by a better team in the end, but it had nothing to do with them being exhausted from the championship or taking the season lightly.  The only similarities between the Cubs 2017 season and the Astros 2018 is the end result.

Edited by Chuckie Finster

2 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

I mean the end result was the same, but nobody in their right mind could say that the Astros had a "hangover."  They got beat by a better team in the end, but it had nothing to do with them being exhausted from the championship or taking the season lightly.

I don't disagree at all, just an example of how hard it is to repeat. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chuckie Finster said:

I mean the end result was the same, but nobody in their right mind could say that the Astros had a "hangover."  They got beat by a better team in the end, but it had nothing to do with them being exhausted from the championship or taking the season lightly.  The only similarities between the Cubs 2017 season and the Astros 2018 is the end result.

Red Sox outspent the Astros in the offseason to close the gap created by the superior Astros front office/coaching staff. Plain as that.

14 minutes ago, wild_turkey said:

Your team was quite possibly cheating. We’re talking spygate MLB edition.

Let’s drop this whole fairness nonsense.

Exactly. A team that loses 4-1 should not be crying about the umps. Officiating in all sports suck. That's the nature of the game. Astros just didn't make the clutch plays they made all playoff last year. Last year, that Altuve HR is not called out. The game ending catch in game 4 drops in. They did everything right last year. This year was different in the ALCS. But talk of this being rigged for the east coast team is ludicrous. They beat an east coast team last year in the ALCS. Red Sox were just the better team this series. Not by a wide margin, though. 

1 minute ago, pacman said:

that's included in the link I provided.

is there not even a little bit of "fuck you" to the right field fans for not making sure they were out of the way and not interfering with betts?

Yeah, but no one read the links and the headline in the URL only tells a part of the story.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, pacman said:

is there not even a little bit of "fuck you" to the right field fans for not making sure they were out of the way and not interfering with betts?

I can't blame those fans. You have a potential HR ball coming right at you in the World Series. Human instinct takes over and you are going to try and catch it or at least protect yourself from getting hit. They didn't blatantly reach over like that kid in the Yankees/Orioles game from the 90s. But of course their names were released not long after that play happened by social media. I hope they don't turn on them like the Cubs fans did with Bartman. Neither really did anything wrong. But I get getting caught up in the heat of the moment.

1 minute ago, Vic Mackey said:

I can't blame those fans. You have a potential HR ball coming right at you in the World Series. Human instinct takes over and you are going to try and catch it or at least protect yourself from getting hit. They didn't blatantly reach over like that kid in the Yankees/Orioles game from the 90s. But of course their names were released not long after that play happened by social media. I hope they don't turn on them like the Cubs fans did with Bartman. Neither really did anything wrong. But I get getting caught up in the heat of the moment.

Honestly, I think most Houston fans have already gotten over the interference call.  There was a lot of griping during the game and in the 24 hours after, but it's already died down to nothing.  I follow all kinds of Astros related media and sites, and I don't know any of those guys names.  I've read them, but they didn't stick. 

Maybe it would be different if the team hadn't given up 8 runs that night.   

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TheFlagship said:

Gonna be interesting to see how Boston handles games in the NL parks. Could we see JD play some 1st base? Does Betts or Benintendi slide over to CF and JBJ sits?

JDM definitely won't play first base.  He'll play RF most likely, with Mookie sliding over to CF and Jackie Bradley Jr. - despite being the ALCS MVP - sitting on the bench versus lefties (if they face the Dodgers).

1 hour ago, Vic Mackey said:

Exactly. A team that loses 4-1 should not be crying about the umps. Officiating in all sports suck. That's the nature of the game. Astros just didn't make the clutch plays they made all playoff last year. Last year, that Altuve HR is not called out. The game ending catch in game 4 drops in. They did everything right last year. This year was different in the ALCS. But talk of this being rigged for the east coast team is ludicrous. They beat an east coast team last year in the ALCS. Red Sox were just the better team this series. Not by a wide margin, though. 

This, if it went 7 (or hell even 6) games I might accept the "umps screwed us" argument but not when you win one game out of 5. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pacman said:

Not from me.  They did the right thing in not letting Betts reach into the stands and take two runs away.  All of my fuck yous are reserved for Joe West blowing the call.

I don't hate the Astros near as much as some of you do....frankly when they were an NL team there wasn't anything to dislike about them.  That said I am amused by the fact that on TOS big dickslaps like Harsinfuck used to come around telling Rangers fans they were stupid asses for getting behind the idea  winnerness/clutchness whatever you want to call it of those teams from a few years back.  Now peruse this thread and the Astros thread.  There is so much "we just didn't come through with clutch hits", "we just didn't play big in the right moments and they did" blah blah blah.

OH SO NOW THAT SHIT MATTERS?  Before it was something being espoused by a bunch of no sabermetrics understanding dumb Arlington fucks.  

Edited by Surly Bevo
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

I don't hate the Astros near as much as some of you do....frankly when they were an NL team there wasn't anything to dislike about them.  That said I am amused by the fact that on TOS big dickslaps like Harsinfuck used to come around telling Rangers fans they were stupid asses for getting behind the idea  winnerness/clutchness whatever you want to call it of those teams from a few years back.  Now peruse this thread and the Astros thread.  There is so much "we just didn't come through with clutch hits", "we just didn't play big in the right moments and they did" blah blah blah.

OH SO NOW THAT SHIT MATTERS?  Before it was something being espoused by a bunch of no sabremetrics loving dumb Arlington fucks.  

636520902202800548-astros-trophy.jpg?wid

16 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

OH SO NOW THAT SHIT MATTERS?  Before it was something being espoused by a bunch of no sabermetrics understanding dumb Arlington fucks.  

The way the bandwagon filled up it was inevitable we would attract some idiots

• Like 1

i'm not sure what that post was about exactly, as i didn't read the harsin posts about clutchness.  i will say that there can be a such thing as clutch hits, and possibly even clutch players, but it's pretty impossible to measure and quantify that.  jbj and devers came up huge in the series, often with 2 outs and/or 2 strikes.  but that doesn't mean they ever will again.  betts didn't have a great offensive series, but he could still hit a walkoff to win the world series next week.  springer was god awful in the games leading up to g2 of the ws last year, and then homered 8x in the next 10 playoff games.  

my point is that you can't just gather a bunch of guys who have been clutch before and expect them to magically out-perform more talented teams.  4-7 games after 162 game season is always going to be too small of a sample size.

i think it's totally fair to say the astros and red sox were two great teams and pretty evenly matched, but boston made the plays and got the hits when it mattered this series, and the astros didn't.  that's how most baseball games and series are won and lost.  it's not my theory on why the astros lost, it's just what happened.  like i said, i don't know what harsin said about the rangers, but i don't think "getting hits at the right time to drive in runs" is something anyone would mock or call unimportant when it comes to winning baseball games.

19 hours ago, WBT said:

Not from me.  They did the right thing in not letting Betts reach into the stands and take two runs away.  All of my fuck yous are reserved for Joe West blowing the call.

Is there a definitive shot of the play from a side angle, showing betts in the stands? All I could see was the two fans, on the edge of the fence, clearly leaning/reaching forward.

• Haha 1