2018 NASCAR Thread

swTXSU

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

From the original TMZ article.

We're told France's blood alcohol level was more than TWICE the legal limit. Cops say during the stop, they found oxycodone pills during a search of his person. 

France was arrested and hauled to a nearby station where he was booked for DUI and criminal possession of a controlled substance in the 7th degree. France spent the night in jail and was released Monday morning after his arraignment. 

And sources tell us ... during the process, France was name-dropping all of the powerful people he knew and even mentioned his relationship with President Donald Trump. 

So does this mean NASCAR is going to suspend somebody from the truck series?

It's official.

https://www.nascar.com/news-media/2018/08/06/stupid-fucking-cops-cant-mind-their-own-business/

A yet-to-be-named NASCAR Camping World Truck Series executive will be indefinitely suspended from NASCAR after NASCAR was notified on August 6 that a NASCAR executive was arrested by police on New York's Long Island for possession of, and driving under the influence of, a perfectly legal substance that millions of God-fearing Americans use every day to relieve what ails them.

The unnamed executive was found to be in violation of Section 19 of the 2018 NASCAR rule book, which covers NASCAR's substance abuse policy.

This suspension comes just a week after NASCAR officials revealed a new logo for the 2019 NASCAR Gander Outdoors Truck Series to the dozens of Truck Series fans, and just as the 2018 Camping World Truck Series is 13 or 14, or maybe even 15 or 16, races into its season.

The unnamed executive will agree to participate in the Road to Recovery Program, and as a part of that program, he will have to personally call each and every one of the 29 fans of the NASCAR Camping World Truck Series and apologize to them.

The executive will issue the following statement after his name is pulled out of a authentic NASCAR Simpson helmet: "I was recently notified that I was arrested by Yankee cops up in New York for possessing a substance that many of our military vets have used in the recovery from wounds inflicted upon them by terrorists in the Middle East after America took her revenge for 9/11.  I do not believe it is right that these vets should have to worry about possibly being arrested by Northerner cops for the possession of medication that can help them recover from their war wounds. I want to assure everybody in the NASCAR community that if this error in judgement should happen again, or even on a frequent basis, I, or one of my colleagues, will personally contact and apologize to the dozens of fans of the Camping World Truck Series, or if it's in 2019, the Gander Outdoors Truck Series.  I am taking the steps that will be provided to me by NASCAR executives to participate in the Road to Recovery program.  I will say that I am sorry to all of the organizations that support and advertise with NASCAR.   I will not have upheld the behavior that is expected of me, but I will promise to you in the future, that I will do whatever I am told to do in order to make this right."

NASCAR stated that when it is determined who the executive is, there is a possibility that he will possibly be reinstated this season, but will be fined $75,000, or approximately 10% of his pay.  While on probation, he will still be allowed to watch Camping World Truck Series races from the official NASCAR executive suites, however he must vacate those suites when actual races are being held.

The executive will have most likely worked for NASCAR for at east 10 years, and will have attended at least 15-20 Camping World Truck Series races, and will most likely have met 5-10 drivers from that series.  A substitute executive will not be announced at a later date.

NASCAR Camping World Truck Series drivers and teams have also released a joint statement: "We fully support NASCAR's policy on substance abuse and we do not condone this type of behavior.  First and foremost, our entire organization wants to apologize to NASCAR, Mr. Brian France,  Gander Outdoors, our sponsors, our teammates, and our dozens of fans due to this policy violation.  God Bless America and God Bless Our Vets!"

21 minutes ago, wood said:

I wonder what effect, if any, this will have on any attempts to sell NASCAR.

None. Its problems run way deeper than France’s drug problems. 

My son is 5.  The perfect age to get into NASCAR. Unlike my dad, when I was around that age, I have no desire to haul him to a Cup race.   Local dirt tracks, Formula 1 in Austin, etc., sure.  

There are things that they could do to generate a lot of interest.   While many of the older fans have died off, I got into it just as it was really taking off in the late '80s/early '90s when you had awesome personalities and cars that still resembled something you could drive down the street.  My kid is the prime age to introduce to this

How did it go from 20 million people watching the Daytona 500 in 2006, to less than half that watching this year?

Their TV contract is up in 2025 I believe, and I'd imagine that if the ratings keep on dropping, they will be screwed when it comes time to make a new contract.

I have not watched a full race in years (nor have I attended one in years), so some of this may not be relevant/current, but if I were running the show, I'd start with:

1. Go back to just running the races - ditch the stage racing.  NASCAR grew substantially without all of the crazy points shenanigans.
  2. Cut the ticket prices, clean up some of the ridiculous prices for stuff at the track, and do something about the drunks. 
  3. Completely bar Cup drivers from Xfinity/Camping World.  The 2018 changes were very welcome, but just completely bar them. If Xfinity/Camping World can't survive without those drivers, then merge Xfinity/Camping World.w
  4. Get the cars even closer to showroom models.  Generation 6 was a very welcome change.  If those fancy Europeans can take cars that look like they drove off the showroom floor and make them do insane jumps during rally races, I'm fairly certain we can get cars to look even closer to their manufactured counterparts.  At least NASCAR recognized their fuckup and things greatly improved.  Gen 6 maybe the best we can hope for though, given the safety standards NASCAR has.
  5. Cut back on the sponsor fellatio during the race, and especially in the post-race interviews/victory lane speeches.
  6. Bring back IROC (if I have to explain this I will, but I think it helped NASCAR)
  7. Clean up the broadcasts to focus more on the racing.  This is just a gut feeling, and I haven't watched a race start-to-finish in years, but way too many fucking ads, and too many gimmicks.  More ads = more chances I'mc hangin the channel and possibly not coming back.
  8. Finally, and I think this is just as important as anything else, if not more, go with one broadcast network and, find a better team of announcers.  Can science give us clones of Ned, Bob, and Benny?

Granted, this was when I was watching in my younger years, but this was probably my favorite announcing crew as a whole:

A North Carolina jury found former NASCAR driver Greg Biffle guilty of invasion of privacy of his then-wife Nicole by installing cameras in their bedroom and bathroom, according to a WSOC-TV report. The television station reported the jury awarded her $1 and will meet next week to determine any punitive damages. According to court filings, Biffle had said the reason for the cameras was because he believed the maids were stealing from him. By way of the cameras, Biffle, according to court filings, discovered his wife was having an alleged affair with her tennis instructor, whom Biffle has sued alleging alienation of affection.

On 8/13/2018 at 6:17 PM, Gil Bang said:

A North Carolina jury found former NASCAR driver Greg Biffle guilty of invasion of privacy of his then-wife Nicole by installing cameras in their bedroom and bathroom, according to a WSOC-TV report. The television station reported the jury awarded her $1 and will meet next week to determine any punitive damages. According to court filings, Biffle had said the reason for the cameras was because he believed the maids were stealing from him. By way of the cameras, Biffle, according to court filings, discovered his wife was having an alleged affair with her tennis instructor, whom Biffle has sued alleging alienation of affection.

Greg has biffled this whole thing. 

On 8/12/2018 at 10:29 PM, atomheartbevo said:

Brad Keselowski and Kyle Busch each have 6 wins this season. Kevin Harvick has 7.

Hmmmm..wonder why the ratings are in the shitter.

Wrong. 

Harvick has 7, KyBu has 6, Truex has 4.

Kez has 0.

~~~~~

Kasey Kahne and Elliott Sadler both hanging it up at the end of the season. Sadler always seemed snakebit, and Kahne always seemed like the most boring person on the planet, even when standing near Paul Menard. 

Wow. Lot of new shit came to light when I was off the grid on a cruise ship. I just watched the last 30 laps at Bristol (a race I used to absolutely clear my schedule for) and I could barely listen to Burton and Junior’s high pitched nasally voices. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Watched a bit of qualifying at the Charlotte "Roval". Me likey. I don't like the fact they tricked up Charlotte instead of going to a legit road course like COTA, but at least its a road course. What I really want to see is NASCAR add a rally race to the schedule.

• 1 month later...

I didn't even watch the TMS race, but apparently Harvick won then failed post-race inspection.

CHARLOTTE, N.C. (AP) — Kevin Harvick's bid for a second NASCAR title suffered a massive setback when he was stripped of his berth in the championship race after series inspectors found his winning car from Texas Motor Speedway had been deliberately altered to give him a performance advantage.

NASCAR said Wednesday night it believes Harvick's spoiler was intentionally offset to the right to give the Ford an aerodynamic advantage when he drove through the corners at Texas. NASCAR can't prove if Stewart-Haas Racing made its own spoiler or altered one from its manufacturer, but senior vice president of competition Scott Miller said the penalty is the same in either case.

The illegal spoiler was not found until the No. 4 Ford received a thorough inspection at NASCAR's Research and Development Center when it was returned to North Carolina after Sunday's race. An inspector at Texas thought the spoiler looked off, but Miller said it had to be removed from the car. Once that happened, it was "100 percent, as black and white as it gets," Miller said.

Spoilers will be checked at Phoenix this weekend, Miller said, and NASCAR will likely ramp up its penalties next year.

"We need to change the culture to where we don't have to play this cat and mouse game with the teams," Miller said. "It's getting borderline ridiculous."

The whopping penalty negated the automatic berth Harvick earned into NASCAR's version of a final four. In addition to losing his spot in next weekend's finale at Homestead-Miami Speedway, Harvick must also close out the final two races of the season without crew chief Rodney Childers and car chief Robert Smith. Both were suspended for two races. Childers also was fined $75,000.

Harvick was docked 40 driver points, and Stewart-Haas Racing was docked 40 owner points as well. Harvick enters this weekend's race at Phoenix fourth among the remaining eight playoff drivers, three points above the cutline. Should there be a tie for the final transfer spot, Harvick would not be eligible to use the Texas victory in the tiebreaking procedure.

Greg Zipadelli, vice president of competition at SHR, said the team will not appeal the penalties. Tony Gibson will be Harvick's interim crew chief and Nick DeFazio will be interim car chief.

11 minutes ago, RPM said:

I didn't even watch the TMS race, but apparently Harvick won then failed post-race inspection.

CHARLOTTE, N.C. (AP) — Kevin Harvick's bid for a second NASCAR title suffered a massive setback when he was stripped of his berth in the championship race after series inspectors found his winning car from Texas Motor Speedway had been deliberately altered to give him a performance advantage.

NASCAR said Wednesday night it believes Harvick's spoiler was intentionally offset to the right to give the Ford an aerodynamic advantage when he drove through the corners at Texas. NASCAR can't prove if Stewart-Haas Racing made its own spoiler or altered one from its manufacturer, but senior vice president of competition Scott Miller said the penalty is the same in either case.

The illegal spoiler was not found until the No. 4 Ford received a thorough inspection at NASCAR's Research and Development Center when it was returned to North Carolina after Sunday's race. An inspector at Texas thought the spoiler looked off, but Miller said it had to be removed from the car. Once that happened, it was "100 percent, as black and white as it gets," Miller said.

Spoilers will be checked at Phoenix this weekend, Miller said, and NASCAR will likely ramp up its penalties next year.

"We need to change the culture to where we don't have to play this cat and mouse game with the teams," Miller said. "It's getting borderline ridiculous."

The whopping penalty negated the automatic berth Harvick earned into NASCAR's version of a final four. In addition to losing his spot in next weekend's finale at Homestead-Miami Speedway, Harvick must also close out the final two races of the season without crew chief Rodney Childers and car chief Robert Smith. Both were suspended for two races. Childers also was fined $75,000.

Harvick was docked 40 driver points, and Stewart-Haas Racing was docked 40 owner points as well. Harvick enters this weekend's race at Phoenix fourth among the remaining eight playoff drivers, three points above the cutline. Should there be a tie for the final transfer spot, Harvick would not be eligible to use the Texas victory in the tiebreaking procedure.

Greg Zipadelli, vice president of competition at SHR, said the team will not appeal the penalties. Tony Gibson will be Harvick's interim crew chief and Nick DeFazio will be interim car chief.

I was there, he was dominant and this explains it, his car was dominant through the corners. Car stuck to the line and didn't lose any speed through the corners. Since the repave at Texas it seemed like whoever the leader was would pull away with the clean air but Harvick was running the leader down all day when he wasn't leading.

This is the second time this season he has been handed an L1 penalty by Nascar yet he can still win the championship, getting pretty ridiculous. Every team tries to push the limits to find speed as they should, that is racing and I believe Nascar needs to lighten up on the regulations but it is pretty damning that SHR didn't appeal. Pretty much admitting they knew what they were doing and just hoped they wouldn't get caught.

The whole sport is suffering because there are just way too many rules and gimmicks to try and keep up with. Sad to see.

Edited by Texas25

As long as there has been racing, there has been cheating for an advantage. That said, if you're caught red handed you should be DQ'd. How's it going to look if by some miracle Harvick wins the championship? You just officially moved NASCAR from a competition to an exhibition like wrestling. But honestly, it's been one unofficially for years.

Yeah, they need to start disqualifying drivers for the playoffs when they blatantly step over the line.

The aerodynamics of the gen6 car are horrible which make the 1.5 mile tracks hard to watch unless it's Homestead or Kansas where there are multiple grooves and because the cars are basically glued to the track with little draft its hard to watch Daytona and Talladega.

If NASCAR is dead set on having a "playoff" they need to go back to "The Chase" format. Take the top 12 drivers (16 is to much, Chris Buescher, Austin Dillion, Ricky Stenhouse Jr. have no business being in the playoff) after 26 races. Then the guy of those 12 with the most points after 10 races is the champion. Do away with playoff points, just more drummed up gimmicks by NASCAR. If they want to put an emphasis on winning then they need to adopt a points system similar to F1, not winning a race automatically qualifies you for the playoff. NASCAR's thinking just seems to be ass backward on a lot of things and they tend make decisions on opposite ends of the spectrum rather than in the middle. There shouldn't be a system where guys like Buescher can win a rain shortened race and make the playoff, or somebody like Allmendinger can win a road course and qualify.

NASCAR is trying to create a game 7 in a sport that isn't fundamentally set up to have that kind of system because of how many things that can go wrong in any given race that are out of your control. The sport is still saveable but if they don't start listening to the people that actually have solutions like Tony Stewart and others who were around when the sport was buzzing and are still involved with the sport, it doesn't look good.

If they were to simply go back to the old system, driver with the most points at the end of 36 races is your champion, I think a considerable amount of fans would start to trickle back. In the old system the driver with the best average finish almost always won the championship which is the way it should be. In 2016 Harvick finished the season with an average finish of 9.9 (best that year) and yet he finished 8th in the standings lol, just absurd.

• 1 month later...