Pet Sematary

satyanash

10 minutes ago, rage-a-holic said:

I guess you missed it the first time it was on the big screen

pet-sematary-movie-poster-1989-101073026

Well shit. I remembered it as a TV serial for some reason.

Anyway it wasn't great, especially given the fantastic source material it had to work with.

Hopefully this remake will be far better.

Edited by satyanash

I really enjoy the first one.  Fred Gwynne as Jud Crandall was fantastic.  Also Church and Gage were well cast.

I have read the book about four times over the span of about 30 years.  Like most King works, it has a different impact depending on when you read it.  Most recently, I saw it as a discourse on grief.

Edited by TwiceHorn

29 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

I really enjoy the first one.  Fred Gwynne as Jud Crandall was fantastic.  Also Church and Gage were well cast.

I have read the book about four times over the span of about 30 years.  Like most King works, it has a different impact depending on when you read it.  Most recently, I saw it as a discourse on grief.

You thought the cat was well cast?  That just sounds funny

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I am guessing this one will be better acted.  Outside of Gwynne I wasn't impressed with the original.  I like Jason Clarke, but Lithgow will fall well short of Fred Gwynne as Jud.  Gwynne's voice saying "sometimes dead is better" still gives me the heebee jeebees.  He pretty much made that movie which kind of has a TV movie vibe to it.

4 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

The original wasn't bad, really.  Very true to the book, didn't add a bunch of over-the-top BS.  It does have an 80s horror schlock vibe to it that they kind of all do from that era.

Well, the woman who directed it, Mary Lambert, had a background that included directing quite a few music videos for some big name acts. 

Edited by Deej
  • Like 1

Agree and disagree with TwiceHorn.

The book is one of my favorites of Stephen King, and you might have guessed that I'm a huge King fanboy if you were on the previous Shaggy thread about the author.  I've also read it over various periods of my life--in middle school, in law school, and as a father--and it hits me differently each time.  I'm probably due for another read. 

I wasn't a fan of the movie.  It came out when I was in high school and thought it was very meh.  Outside of Fred Gwynne, I didn't care for any of the other actors.  For some reason the scenes with Rachel's sister Zelda freaked me the fuck out, but other than that the movie was nowhere near as frightening as the book.

I thought the recent film adaptation of IT was outstanding, and I hope the quality of this version of Pet Sematary is in the same ballpark.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, South Austin said:

Agree and disagree with TwiceHorn.

The book is one of my favorites of Stephen King, and you might have guessed that I'm a huge King fanboy if you were on the previous Shaggy thread about the author.  I've also read it over various periods of my life--in middle school, in law school, and as a father--and it hits me differently each time.  I'm probably due for another read. 

I wasn't a fan of the movie.  It came out when I was in high school and thought it was very meh.  Outside of Fred Gwynne, I didn't care for any of the other actors.  For some reason the scenes with Rachel's sister Zelda freaked me the fuck out, but other than that the movie was nowhere near as frightening as the book.

I thought the recent film adaptation of IT was outstanding, and I hope the quality of this version of Pet Sematary is in the same ballpark.

To me, the scariest parts of the book were the treks beyond the Sematary, over the deadfall.  Kind of hard to capture that on film, but they definitely got short shrift in the first one.  We shall see how this does.

In my mind, all King movies kind of sucked until serious directors got involved with Stand By Me and Shawshank and Green Mile (I'm not going to count The Shining).  But a lot of them hold up better than you would think. 

13 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

In my mind, all King movies kind of sucked until serious directors got involved with Stand By Me and Shawshank and Green Mile (I'm not going to count The Shining).  But a lot of them hold up better than you would think. 

Many of them did suck, but I thought The Dead Zone with Christopher Walken was excellent, and it still holds up.

32 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Carrie says hi. So does Creepshow.

41 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

To me, the scariest parts of the book were the treks beyond the Sematary, over the deadfall.  Kind of hard to capture that on film, but they definitely got short shrift in the first one.  We shall see how this does.

Isn't there supposed to be a wendigo or some sort of monstrous entity living beyond the deadfall that makes the protagonist's hair turn white? IIRC the book never describes it and he never gets more than a fleeting glimpse of it, but it's implied that the creature was what turned the ground sour. 

I hope the movie also doesn't show a full-on CGI glory shot of the monster. Just have it appear as small glimpses. 

5 hours ago, satyanash said:

Isn't there supposed to be a wendigo or some sort of monstrous entity living beyond the deadfall that makes the protagonist's hair turn white? IIRC the book never describes it and he never gets more than a fleeting glimpse of it, but it's implied that the creature was what turned the ground sour. 

I hope the movie also doesn't show a full-on CGI glory shot of the monster. Just have it appear as small glimpses. 

This would fall in line with the theory that the overarching supernatural evil entity in most of King’s stories is It himself. 

Edited by SubliminalHorn

• 3 months later...

2nd trailer came out a few days ago. Only watch it if you want the entire movie ruined for you (hint: it's gonna have at least one giant difference from the book), or if you want to destroy any excitement you have for this film. 

Spoiler

Edited by Helobious

17 hours ago, Helobious said:

2nd trailer came out a few days ago. Only watch it if you want the entire movie ruined for you (hint: it's gonna have at least one giant difference from the book), or if you want to destroy any excitement you have for this film. 

Hide contents

Fantastic. So A) they add a twist, only to spoil it in the trailer and B) the twist doesn't make sense anyway.

Who the hell is the idiot producer at Paramount who keeps deciding to give away the entire plot in trailers?

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...