Portland

workswithseed

23 minutes ago, RockyMountainHighHorn said:

Thanks for the assistance I’ll dm for any questions. I’d anymore suggestions come up, lemme know. I’ll be in pdx tomorrow morning with the avatar so look for the avatar. Can’t miss that. Yes, she’s just the avatar. 

I'll make sure to find a women's bare ads out in Portland? I think I can do such a thing.

^^^yup, you seem like you should be coming to the wedding. Anyway, driving from pdx to our Airbnb it went from 82 to 90 to 81 to now 59 on the coast. Mom and GF=ohh no jackets.... me=sweet mother of Moses!! Lastly, this is my first time traveling as a sober “young adult” with my GF and older in age mother. All I have to say is.....how?

On 8/5/2019 at 5:54 PM, RockyMountainHighHorn said:

Boom boom throwing out rep here. To add, will have a couple of “off” days from the wedding. Have the girlfriend with me, any places/things to do say within an hour that’d be worth it that maybe has been said and highlighted again or hasn’t been said yet? Can you ride horses on a beach around there? Anything like ATV’s? Looking into the hiking that was discussed earlier. 

I don't recall seeing horses or atv's. You can rent fat tire bikes. Also you can have a campfire on the beach at night. The irish restaurant and the casual restaurant that's also a hardware store, both near Pelican Brewing, got thumbs up from me. 

Edited by Chopper

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/21/2019 at 6:55 PM, Chopper said:

Can anyone recommend a low-key Portland neighborhood to stay in for a week coming up in a couple of weeks? Someplace laid back with decent access to downtown and to the fwy heading south would be preferable.

Whichever neighborhood has hops growing on street poles, that one.

D43DB694-ECD5-4923-827D-6AD2D9C1C9A5

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Downtown Portland is deadish after 6m like other Western cities.  Have to go quite a few blocks north of city Hall to find signs of life. Still trusting your recs and will try Desculmhutes and 12th St Tavern.

Something from breakfast in some drive by diner.  Waitress and her regulars are talking about Texas and how "we're afraid of them.". Then some someone mentions Austin and the fear turned to condescension because it's a fake weird. 

so far my take on the locals is that they dress liberal but are very docile. I have not seen a police officer all day. Coming from Arizona that is very very weird.

9 minutes ago, notre dame joe said:

Downtown Portland is deadish after 6m like other Western cities.  Have to go quite a few blocks north of city Hall to find signs of life. Still trusting your recs and will try Desculmhutes and 12th St Tavern.

Something from breakfast in some drive by diner.  Waitress and her regulars are talking about Texas and how "we're afraid of them.". Then some someone mentions Austin and the fear turned to condescension because it's a fake weird. 

so far my take on the locals is that they dress liberal but are very docile. I have not seen a police officer all day. Coming from Arizona that is very very weird.

Deschutes is always busy - lot of out of towners there. Von Ebert down the street is solid too, little more of a local spot, 

Hit up Spyce after - $40 all nude private dances, or so I'm told. 

20 minutes ago, notre dame joe said:

I think I need to show up to that diner with my don't mess with Texas shirt, apparently.

On 9/5/2019 at 7:43 PM, workswithseed said:

I think I need to show up to that diner with my don't mess with Texas shirt, apparently.

It's the Cameo Cafe off of Sandy.  A classic diner with Korean fusion, by far the best food I've had this trip.

Von Ebert's was huge inside , designed for 200 person corporate events I hope.  The Hefe was a A-.  Also well repped is the Mt Hood Brewing at the stately Timberline Lodge.

The homeless problem is way overblown.  I've seen a dozen, not hundreds.  But the fugly tat problem cannot be overstated.  

1 hour ago, notre dame joe said:

It's the Cameo Cafe off of Sandy.  A classic diner with Korean fusion, by far the best food I've had this trip.

Von Ebert's was huge inside , designed for 200 person corporate events I hope.  The Hefe was a A-.  Also well repped is the Mt Hood Brewing at the stately Timberline Lodge.

The homeless problem is way overblown.  I've seen a dozen, not hundreds.  But the fugly tat problem cannot be overstated.  

Did you go by Voodoo? They're all over there.

19 hours ago, Larry Sellers said:

Headed to portland for work conference in October. Any steakhouse recs (not sure if the wife is in for the strip club one)?

We ate at one downtown a few years back.  Ringside.  It was good.

Edited by DDD Dad

8 hours ago, Larry Sellers said:

I’ll look into ringside. Is there anything worthwhile close to the convention center? Looks like most of the cool stuff is in the west side of the river

SE Portland is the hip part of town with a bunch of cool spots like Bollywood Theater, Pok Pok, Olympic Provisions, and a Pine Street Biscuits. Food trucks there are solid too. Even NE Portland on Alberta St is good

• Like 1

On 9/9/2019 at 8:46 PM, Larry Sellers said:

I’ll look into ringside. Is there anything worthwhile close to the convention center? Looks like most of the cool stuff is in the west side of the river

It's like all the corporate stuff is zoned on one side of the river and Mom&Pops are in the east.  I was in basically a residential zone in the east side, just how I like it. 

Here's my advice:

Mee-Sen Thai Eatery for ... thai eats.

Walk across the street to Nectar cannabis for ... souvenirs.

Then take an uber to your hotel and do not try to drive your rented Cadillac Escalade.

If the girl named "Rosemary" behind the desk at your hotel has a deepish voice to go with the scarf covering her adam's apple, just keep your clever comments to yourself and check into your room.  Portlanders won't understand your uninformed Texas humor.

That's all I got.

16 hours ago, notre dame joe said:

It's like all the corporate stuff is zoned on one side of the river and Mom&Pops are in the east.  I was in basically a residential zone in the east side, just how I like it. 

It’s nothing to do with zoning and everything to do with history and geography.  Portland historically was downtown and wealthy west of the Willamette and the poor and working class neighborhoods east of the river.   It makes sense as downtown is in a pocket surrounded by hills.  When Portland was founded it was just the place where larger ships couldn’t advance further up the Willamette while Oregon City at the falls and Fort Vancouver on the Columbia were the larger settlements.   I don’t think they anticipated that it would become the dominant settlement in the area or they’d probably picked the east side of the river to accommodate the growth.

• 3 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, Larry Sellers said:

Headed there next week. Got reservations for Ox. I saw Tasty n Sons was recommended but I only see Tasty n Alder and Tasty n Daughters, so I don’t know what that’s about. Tasty n Alder looked great but yelp acts like it’s a 1 hr wait most of the day. Anyone know if it’s worth the wait?

Tasty n Alder was probably our favorite meal in town. 

8 minutes ago, Larry Sellers said:

Also on Mutonomah falls, if we went on a Friday afternoon do I get a parking spot or not?

Friday PM should be fine for parking. 

If you have some time drive a few miles up the road to Cascade Locks and check out Bridge of the Gods and the waterfront park. Hood River is great too but a little further out.