YETI Cancels IPO

3 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

i watch a lot hunting and fishing shows, many on youtube. whether by coincidence or paid sponsorship by yeti, most of those shows have yeti coolers in the boats or in the back of the trucks.

I can't imagine what could possibly be their motivation for having that great on their boats.  

I do know a lot of hunters use YETI, probably because pack-in, pack-out in country hunting is rare these days.  It's usually drive right up to the blind, drop the YETI down and settle in.  I've literally never seen a YETI more than 100 yards from a motorized vehicle.  Again, I'm just jealous of their business model and I enjoy their at-home tumblers and coffee mugs.  

1 minute ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

We take our knockoff every time we go camping not having to constantly buy ice is nice. Right now it is covered in dried blood because it had a couple does quartered in it.

this is why i don't get the yeti hate. 

at the end of the day, they transformed and improved how we hold ice on trips to the beach or to the lease. that's a huge net positive in my book.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

i watch a lot hunting and fishing shows, many on youtube. whether by coincidence or paid sponsorship by yeti, most of those shows have yeti coolers in the boats or in the back of the trucks.

Same here.  They pay "brand ambassadors" to pimp their gear.  And, they have purposefully steered towards people that they feel embody more than just being an outdoorsman.  If you watch their YouTube videos, they seek out people like JT Van Zandt for reasons far beyond just being a good fisherman.  

One can argue the value of the product or the success of the marketing strategy, but they have stuck with their philosophy of being more than just a cooler.  

1 minute ago, Lobo said:

I can't imagine what could possibly be their motivation for having that great on their boats.  

I do know a lot of hunters use YETI, probably because pack-in, pack-out in country hunting is rare these days.  It's usually drive right up to the blind, drop the YETI down and settle in.  I've literally never seen a YETI more than 100 yards from a motorized vehicle.  Again, I'm just jealous of their business model and I enjoy their at-home tumblers and coffee mugs.  

my understanding of the original yeti cooler idea/use case was a cooler which you could put on the front of poling skiffs which would also act as an elevated casting/sighting platform for fly fisherman. if you think about it that way and owned a poling skiff, it makes a ton of sense. i used mine for that very purpose when i had my skiff.

That would be a good idea.  I've only fly-fished a handful of times in my life and never in Texas.  I'm sure they're all over the place in Jackson Hole.  

It's just hard for me to believe that old joke from childhood about the igloo cooler, "It keeps hot shit hot, and cold shit cold...but how does it know?" inspired a billion-dollar company.  Kudos.  I'm trying to figure out how to make that much money from some of the other horribly racist jokes I've heard here in Texas.

16 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

my understanding of the original yeti cooler idea/use case was a cooler which you could put on the front of poling skiffs which would also act as an elevated casting/sighting platform for fly fisherman. if you think about it that way and owned a poling skiff, it makes a ton of sense. i used mine for that very purpose when i had my skiff.

That's why I bought one back in 2006.  Kept in the back of my tunnel hole boat to store drinks and to stand on while fishing.

29 minutes ago, Lobo said:

You're right about curating, and quite successfully, a lifestyle brand.  But I have never heard of anyone, including myself, who sees/thinks "YETI" and associates it with the outdoors.  I mean yeah, the coolers are typically found outside of the walls of buildings.  But is not an outdoorsman/sportsman brand, IMO.  Fishing trips, backwoods camping, hiking, etc...these are not places I see Yeti products.  Tying up on the Highland Lakes, yes---YETI all the way.  But I never, ever see their product in the real outdoors.  Probably because it weighs so fucking much.  But as you said, more power to 'em...nobody ever went broke underestimating the taste of the American Land Rover driver. 

as per usual, you don't have a fucking clue what you're talking about.  it's really remarkable how consistently wrong (and not funny) your takes are on pretty much every subject upon which you opine.  their website has the below quote on their 'our story' page.  90% of their 'ambassadors' are hunting or fishing guides or some other kind of outdoor person.  every hunting / fishing guide in Texas is dripping with yeti shit (maybe diluted some now due to knockoffs) and it's a staple for all the frat boy / fake redneck / fly fishing types that fall into the patagonia millionaire category that these companies are targeting.  at least you don't name drop on the UT stuff as much as you used to.  but you're still a fucking beating and your next funny post will be your first.     

YETI REPRESENTS THE YARDSTICK BY WHICH ALL OTHER OUTDOOR PRODUCTS ARE MEASURED.

Flip Pallot, Angler and YETI Fishing Ambassador

• Like 1

Is this because I fucked your wife on top of the Tundra 350?  

Calm down Barbara, this is just a board to crack wise.  They give products away to people who will "endorse" them.  Nothing wrong with that, just nothing terribly original.  I'll get you some more stickers and a small cooler for your truck in case you get lost on the access road and need provisions.  

I like your angry, bolded YETI font reply by the way.  You're my first call when I get into trouble in the woods and need a Patagonia-festooned cub scout dropout.  

36 minutes ago, Lobo said:

That would be a good idea.  I've only fly-fished a handful of times in my life and never in Texas.  I'm sure they're all over the place in Jackson Hole.  

It's just hard for me to believe that old joke from childhood about the igloo cooler, "It keeps hot shit hot, and cold shit cold...but how does it know?" inspired a billion-dollar company.  Kudos.  I'm trying to figure out how to make that much money from some of the other horribly racist jokes I've heard here in Texas.

i always heard that one as an aggy joke

I think at one point in time there was a need in the cooler market for something better, at least for some extreme outdoorsy types.  Yeti filled that need, and their marketing took it to another level.  It is what it is.  People buy stupid expensive shit that goes beyond their needs all the time.  The only thing I find bizarre is society latching onto a cooler as a status symbol.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

I think at one point in time there was a need in the cooler market for something better, at least for some extreme outdoorsy types.  Yeti filled that need, and their marketing took it to another level.  It is what it is.  People buy stupid expensive shit that goes beyond their needs all the time.  The only thing I find bizarre is society latching onto a cooler as a status symbol.

That cooler was only designed/marketed as a status symbol.   There wasn't a gap in the market for fiberglass coolers or coolers that could keep ice.  An old Coleman Steel belted cooler will keep ice longer.   We used to boat out to the bahamas back in the day and keep ice for a long weekend.  Didn't need a Yeti for that. Having several smaller coolers and some organization is much better than 1 mega cooler.    I've kept frozen fish from Baja, driven 3 hours through BCS, checked it on a plane, flew home, cooler got lost and I picked it up the next day and the top layer of fish was still frozen solid.  That was a cheapo blue & white Coleman cooler with the seams duct taped.

Yeti is a functional accessory for the "sportsman" who wants to look like "The sportsman"  - "I have a $100k flats boat...  I'm not putting a $70 cooler on that thing... Buffy did you pick up my fishing shirt from the dry cleaner's?"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Loco said:

That cooler was only designed/marketed as a status symbol.   There wasn't a gap in the market for fiberglass coolers or coolers that could keep ice.  An old Coleman Steel belted cooler will keep ice longer.

You know that this has been tested many times, right? The yeti and similar coolers will hold ice probably twice as long.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Steel Shank said:

If you freeze empty gallon milk jugs full of water, then use a hatchet to chop up the frozen jug and add the ice to your cooler (along with a bag of ice), you find it keeps your stuff cold a long time. No stickers, though.

I fill a 5 gallon painters jug with water and keep in my deep freezer.  Put it in my cheap Coleman extreme on wheels.  The yetis stay in my garage.  

3 hours ago, Lobo said:

You're right about curating, and quite successfully, a lifestyle brand.  But I have never heard of anyone, including myself, who sees/thinks "YETI" and associates it with the outdoors.  I mean yeah, the coolers are typically found outside of the walls of buildings.  But is not an outdoorsman/sportsman brand, IMO.  Fishing trips, backwoods camping, hiking, etc...these are not places I see Yeti products.  Tying up on the Highland Lakes, yes---YETI all the way.  But I never, ever see their product in the real outdoors.  Probably because it weighs so fucking much.  But as you said, more power to 'em...nobody ever went broke underestimating the taste of the American Land Rover driver. 

Wut?

I was at a team penning event in Del Mar CA recently.  Charity deal, with a big entry fee.  Bunch of Rancho Santa Fe millionaire cowboy types.

I was in the trailer lot, and every fucking truck/trailer rig had a yeti either in the back of the truck or in the immediate tailgating area.  Which was OK by me, because I drank a lot of free cold beer given to me by various folks.

CSB: I've attended this event for several years.  Q. Jammer and wife were the "Grand Marshals" for 3 or 4 of those years. 

18 hours ago, crash_davis said:

this is why i don't get the yeti hate. 

at the end of the day, they transformed and improved how we hold ice on trips to the beach or to the lease. that's a huge net positive in my book.

This is certainly true. They created the segment and I agree it was needed.

18 hours ago, crash_davis said:

I remember growing up we had igloo coolers. On one of our sailboats, the cooler was used as a step to get down below as well as its intended purpose of cooling beer. We had igloo's for years and aside from replacing the latches every couple of years, they lasted very well. Fast forward to the late 90's and their quality had declined measurably. We ended up having to replace coolers frequently because the lid would crack from 200 lb people stepping up and down on top of them. If you stuck with the marine line, they were slightly better.  But the ice retention and durability left a lot to be desired. 

I am glad yeti came along and I get the early adopters, but all these years later it is absurd to me to pay the premium. I completely get it though.

20 hours ago, HOOKEM4 said:

No they created a market segment.  Glamour coolers.

Frigid Rigid (and I am sure there are others) was building these types of coolers in the 80's.  They are also MUCH higher quality and also more expensive.  Strange you don't see their stickers on pretty pickup trucks. Branding?

20 hours ago, HOOKEM4 said:

I remember growing up we had igloo coolers. On one of our sailboats, the cooler was used as a step to get down below as well as its intended purpose of cooling beer. We had igloo's for years and aside from replacing the latches every couple of years, they lasted very well. Fast forward to the late 90's and their quality had declined measurably. We ended up having to replace coolers frequently because the lid would crack from 200 lb people stepping up and down on top of them. If you stuck with the marine line, they were slightly better.  But the ice retention and durability left a lot to be desired. 

I am glad yeti came along and I get the early adopters, but all these years later it is absurd to me to pay the premium. I completely get it though.

Igloo didn’t keep up with Americans being 25% heavier over the years. They rested on their 1970 laurels when a fat guy was 190.

Frigid Rigid (and I am sure there are others) was building these types of coolers in the 80's.  They are also MUCH higher quality and also more expensive.  Strange you don't see their stickers on pretty pickup trucks. Branding?

Never heard of them. Like most people probably.

The good thing about Yeti for tailgating is when lazy stupid fucks inevitably decide to sit on the cooler, they won't fuck up the lid. 

I have never understood when people decide that's a good place to sit. Bonus points to the ones who get annoyed when they're asked to stand up every fifteen seconds. 

5 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Igloo didn’t keep up with Americans being 25% heavier over the years. They rested on their 1970 laurels when a fat guy was 190.

On 11/14/2019 at 9:28 AM, HOOKEM4 said:

Also due to the family selling out to PE.  PE comes in and the first thing they do is cut costs and quality goes down.  

2 hours ago, Bateshorn said:

I got a Yeti catalogue in the mail yesterday.  While I'm a pure mark for overpriced outdoor gear (they probably got me off of Orvis' mailing list), I'm not there core demographic.  At all. 

But that Yeti sticker will look so good on your back window next to the Salt Life sticker

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Loco said:

Where would one buy a frigid rigid cooler 15-20 years ago?  I am not under the impression that Yeti invented the rugged cooler, but I would say that if rugged coolers already existed and where only available in a limited capacity to the public that would be a market gap that Yeti capitalized on.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

Where would one buy a frigid rigid cooler 15-20 years ago?  I am not under the impression that Yeti invented the rugged cooler, but I would say that if rugged coolers already existed and where only available in a limited capacity to the public that would be a market gap that Yeti capitalized on.

I know you could have bought one in Florida.   With the long haul fishing trips to the out islands keeping ICE was big deal.  And in the bahamas, ice WAS expensive (and just barely frozen) if you could get it.   Tons of boats had either a coffin box or large fiberglass cooler and used block or dry ice. Those coolers were built in the US for serious sportsman.  Yeti (to their credit) put fancy colors and fancy marketing/distribution to play and sold the shit out of color coordinated Rotomolded coolers built in the Philippines or IIRC Thailand.   Where I think most of their stuff is still made.

It was a smart move.  I just chuckle when I see fishing/hunting bros with their imported glamour coolers.   If I was paying $500 for a Yeti...  I'd pay $700 for a fiberglass cooler built in the us that will last as long as your boat will.

All that said...  I believe in marginal return.  The difference in performance between a plastic big box coleman "Marine" and Yeti is almost non existent over a weekend. (As mentioned above) I use old milk jugs filled and frozen.  Put 2 in your cooler,  cold drinks, food,  and 20lbs of ice, if it will fit, and you are set.  That includes kids who "window shop" and leaving the cooler sitting out under the rocket launcher all day and night in the Keys.  And when the jugs start to melt you have ICE COLD water...so good on a hot day.

Now If I was running out to Ft Jefferson or Cay Sal Bank for 3-4 days, then the extra $200 would move me from Yeti/Engle to Frigid Rigid or a custom Coffinbox.  The only downside to the Fiberglass coolers is that they are Heavier than the Yeti so if you're moving it around a lot that might make a difference.   Oh and don't stub your toe on them, they will not move.

Currently I have 2 128 "marine" coolers and a little shitty hand held one to take drinks to the beach.   Every 10 years or so I buy a new one on sale and donate the old one to one of the kid's teams.

Edited by Loco

I wanted a new cooler and did some research and came up with this one from Cabela's

https://www.cabelas.com/product/home/polar-cap-coolers-tumblers-and-accessories/pc/105625080/c/1080657180/cabelas-polar-cap-equalizer-cooler/2233322.uts?slotId=4

IMO, it's as good as a Yeti and cheaper.  I don't do much with it aside from pull beers out of it on gamedays but I like knowing its bear safe and made in the USA.  I use re-usable ice packs in it and it will keep drinks cold for a week in my living room or kitchen.

On 11/15/2019 at 7:53 AM, Loco said:

yup, and that's what Yeti did so well.  Their marketing is top notch.

frigid-rigid-fog-cooler.jpg

Yup, I remember my cousin had a Frigid Rigid on his skiff in 1999 or 2000. When I bought my Hell's Bay in 2003, I bought a 45 qt Icy Tek and mounted it like a coffin box. I still use the Icy Tek today. It's not as finely finished as a Yeti (Icy Tek is made in Thailand and was originally built for the commercial fishing market) but it keeps ice as long or longer and I can leave it in the boat in a motel parking lot overnight and no one will steal it. I'm thinking about restoring the gelcoat on the boat next year, and I may downsize to a 20qt Yeti mounted like a center seat (boat is a side console) since I don't keep many fish anymore and I'd like to save some weight and move the CG of the skiff back a little bit. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/13/2019 at 3:04 PM, Spaulding Smails said:

people like JT Van Zandt for reasons far beyond just being a good fisherman.

I’m convinced that guy will live 25 years longer than me. Dude just seems so damn chill. 

On 11/13/2019 at 4:17 PM, Loco said:

"I have a $100k flats boat...  I'm not putting a $70 cooler on that thing.

Which is the correct take. They are better at holding ice, even if marginally, and they don’t fall apart is someone steps on it. Took igloo from the 90’s till a few years ago to build hinges that lasted >3 months. Old school checkered top were solid tho. 

On 11/15/2019 at 7:44 AM, Jkwellborn said:

Never heard of them. Like most people probably.

Frigid Rigid are well known high end coolers.  Shitloads of fisherman use them and they can be found on many a high end boat. 

On 11/15/2019 at 1:06 PM, Gene Parmesan said:

Where would one buy a frigid rigid cooler 15-20 years ago?

FTU had them. 

On 11/16/2019 at 10:15 AM, Pescado_Rojo said:

I'm thinking about restoring the gelcoat on the boat next year

Please update on boat thread.  

I enjoy the yetis I’ve won and have been given.  Not sure I’d buy one but can see why they are popular. Very sturdy.   I quit using them to bleed out deer because they stay too cold.  

11 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

i can feel the burning ire of the anti yeti folks. maybe they just need some ice.

yeti rambler after a fire. link cause of sound.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Wellthatsucks/comments/e9h1i1/my_friends_truck_exploded_today_at_least_his_yeti/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x

Were his stickers OK?

I bought one of the original Hoppers at a charity auction 5 years ago and the zipper failed on me a few months ago.  I submitted a request on their website for a replacement and even though I couldn't remember the date of purchase, didn't buy from an authorized seller and was well past the two year warranty, they sent me an email back the next day with four different items I could chose from to replace it.  I ended up going with a Flip and it showed up a few days after I sent mine into them.  Pretty dang good customer service.

F the haters.