Let's bring back the map thread

bolverk

There for a while, it was one of my favorite threads on TOS. If you find a cool map, post it here. To get things started, I'll post this article with an interactive map showing every building in America.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2018/10/12/us/map-of-every-building-in-the-united-states.html

(Friendly reminder: NYTimes has a limit for the number of views allowed a month. To avoid it, right-click the link above and open in incognito mode.)

• Like 4

1 hour ago, bolverk said:

There for a while, it was one of my favorite threads on TOS. If you find a cool map, post it here. To get things started, I'll post this article with an interactive map showing every building in America.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2018/10/12/us/map-of-every-building-in-the-united-states.html

(Friendly reminder: NYTimes has a limit for the number of views allowed a month. To avoid it, right-click the link above and open in incognito mode.)

Awesome, comparing the urban sprawl of NY and LA to the rest of the country are pretty mid blowing if you take the map out far enough. 

One of my Pennsylvania coworkers was bitching about how far it was from Erie, PA to Philly. 425 miles or so...  From the NW corner to SE corner of Pennsylvania.

I started laughing and told him I drive 530 miles to go see dear ole Mom. I then pointed out that there is 130 more miles of Texas to our east and  I could drive 3 hours past Lubbock to the north and still be in Texas.  Folks in those rinky dink states have no idea...

5 hours ago, bolverk said:

Absolutely fascinating series of satellite photos showing seven square miles of different points on earth. Here's a preview:

main_900.jpg?1539719824

https://www.theatlantic.com/photo/2018/10/seven-square-miles/573169/

This is great. I've kayaked to Upsala glacier. Awesome to see it from space and compare 7 sm to manhattan or DC. 

14 hours ago, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

dr3uss298qt11.jpg

I think it is "Europe" formed by putting together the outline of countries from other parts of the world.   UK is New Zealand, Scandinavian countries are India and Sri Lanka, Western UK is Hawaii, North Africa is an upside down Eastern Asia (China, Korean Peninsula), Italy is Florida, Island in Central Med is Hispaniola (Dominican and Haiti), Denmark might be Greenland, and I can't figure out what Spain is.  Great lakes are obvious, but unclear on what they represent.  Black Sea might be the Baltic...not real sure.

Anyway, my $.02...that may all be BS, but sort of what I see. 

1 minute ago, Rockwell Torrey said:

I think it is "Europe" formed by putting together the outline of countries from other parts of the world.   UK is New Zealand, Scandinavian countries are India and Sri Lanka, Western UK is Hawaii, North Africa is an upside down Eastern Asia (China, Korean Peninsula), Italy is Florida, Island in Central Med is Hispaniola (Dominican and Haiti), Denmark might be Greenland, and I can't figure out what Spain is.  Great lakes are obvious, but unclear on what they represent.  Black Sea might be the Baltic...not real sure.

North Africa could be Antarctica, walking back the East Asia claim on that one.

3 hours ago, Rockwell Torrey said:

Well done.  I don’t know what Denmark is though.  Don’t think Greenland.  

On ‎10‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 3:12 PM, Hate said:

So you "help" them by getting them an upside down map?  

Send me your address - you seem like you could use some perspective

On ‎10‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 3:40 PM, Samson's Wig said:

Get that Australian propaganda outta here!

Interesting comment about an Africa centric map

18 hours ago, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

WTF - why is Michigan in Eastern Europe?