Let's bring back the map thread

bolverk

On 10/23/2018 at 3:22 AM, Rockwell Torrey said:

I think it is "Europe" formed by putting together the outline of countries from other parts of the world.   UK is New Zealand, Scandinavian countries are India and Sri Lanka, Western UK is Hawaii, North Africa is an upside down Eastern Asia (China, Korean Peninsula), Italy is Florida, Island in Central Med is Hispaniola (Dominican and Haiti), Denmark might be Greenland, and I can't figure out what Spain is.  Great lakes are obvious, but unclear on what they represent.  Black Sea might be the Baltic...not real sure.

Anyway, my $.02...that may all be BS, but sort of what I see. 

The Irish would like to have a word with you. Also, Corsica and Sardinia are in the Baltic, and Puerto Rico is just above Hispanola. And, yes, Denmark is puzzling.

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

https://www.texasmonthly.com/the-daily-post/as-if-you-needed-it-further-proof-that-houston-is-so-much-bigger-than-most-cities/

Does anyone have the map of Houston overlaying DFW that came out in the Chron about two years back.  It showed how Houston is as big as the entire metroplex.  Katy at 99 was aligned with where Ft Worth is located and our Downtowns being aligned.  

Edited by RollLeft

Apple TV has screen savers that pop up from time to time. Some of the scenes appear to be enhanced helicopter shots from above a city: Hong Kong, Dubai (marina or the street pictured above), NY, LA, etc.

a few times I catch myself staring at the screen saver, and then jumping on google maps to see if I can identify the exact spot. 

• Hook 'Em 1

53 minutes ago, RollLeft said:

https://www.texasmonthly.com/the-daily-post/as-if-you-needed-it-further-proof-that-houston-is-so-much-bigger-than-most-cities/

Does anyone have the map of Houston overlaying DFW that came out in the Chron about two years back.  It showed how Houston is as big as the entire metroplex.  Katy at 99 was aligned with where Ft Worth is located and our Downtowns being aligned.  

Houstonians will brag about this. Everyone else will throw up in their mouths just a little bit. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, NorthLoop said:

Houstonians will brag about this. Everyone else will throw up in their mouths just a little bit. 

As a Houstonian, I agree, but those same Texas think maps showing how huge Texas is are supercool. Personally I don't understand why we are so impressed by the size of jurisdictions. As a kid I thought it was incredibly cool but now it seems irrelevant. Why does it matter that we are bigger than Colorado or California and smaller than Alaska? And yeah those Houston's so huge maps are very dumb. It's not like the average Houstonian lives in Katy and works in Baytown. The fact the metro area is huge has almost no effect on anyone living in it.

One thing that's sort of interesting about it is that Houston is one of the only sports markets where its fans are localized to that market. The Astros are the exception and back in the Luv Ya Blue / Warren Moon Austin kind of once was a toss-up between Oilers and Cowboys but that's not true today. Even as the Cowboys have been pitiful for decades, the Texans have been just as bad or worse, and have at least been entertaining as a soap opera while doing so. The Texans are just bad and boring. 

The Spurs are an absolute bar to any Rockets inroads into the South Texas territory they should be able to dispute with the DFW teams in other sports but don't for whatever reason. Spur fandom is among the most fanatical in all pro sports. 

MLB / Vivid Seats

0*oBxwKFR4pSAHVgPe.png

NFL / Atlantic Monthly

original.png 

NBA/Twitter

click_image_to_exploremap96.thumb.1280.1

2 hours ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

that's interesting man.  never occurred to me to think about 2 way traffic there. i guess they have parallel sets of locks?

Yes, they did when I first visited there in 1952.

The Chicoms recently finished new sets of larger locks. ( they “run” the Canal now.... thanks Jimmy Carter /cr)

13 minutes ago, Parliament said:
2 hours ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:
that's interesting man.  never occurred to me to think about 2 way traffic there. i guess they have parallel sets of locks?

Yep, TWO sets of parallel locks. The old original set, and a new, bigger set opened in 2015 or so.

Beat me to it.

1 hour ago, Armybrat said:

Yes, they did when I first visited there in 1952.

The Chicoms recently finished new sets of larger locks. ( they “run” the Canal now.... thanks Jimmy Carter /cr)

When we finally do end up at war with them we won't be moving any naval assets from the Atlantic to the Pacific in time to be any help

• Haha 1

On 5/26/2020 at 8:12 PM, RDCanecutter said:

I read almost the entire aerial photography interpretation manual.  Truly amazing how well they used the technology.  You need an expert understanding of optics, photography, geometry and coordinate system transfers, and tons more.  Also, the photographers were typically also the belly gunners.  Fascinating.

1 hour ago, SquishMitten said:

Take off the grid lines, and that’s what it looks like for fish that are flat-oceaners

i bet there are a lot of flat oceaners.  i can't really figure out how a fish would think otherwise.  there is no place where you can go straight and end up back at the start.  going around Antarctica requires you to turn constantly, so it doesn't "feel" like you're going straight.  you don't realize you're circumnavigating the globe. unless they really got into astronomy, flat oceaner beliefs really wouldn't have any push back.

• Like 1