Row the damn boat

JimmyHoffa

33 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Oh yeah, he also won Paul Bunyan's Axe for the first time since Glen Mason was coaching the Gophers. 

Moo. 

In addition to bringing the Axe back, he also brought a fine herd of cattle. He's got the goods to back up the talk. 

30 minutes ago, 'stache said:

I find the platitudes annoying and "row the boat" is a dumbass catchphrase. But he is clearly a hell of a coach and I can at least respect that. 

I initially had the same feelings towards it that you do. Frankly, I'm surprised that the U agreed to buy the Row the Boat IP from Western. But it's clear that the players are buying it, and they're gering the job done. 

On 10/28/2019 at 3:18 PM, TexasHooch said:

When Fleck came to Minnesota, he brought on Robb Smith as DC. They were long time friends and coached together at one point at Rutgers.  After a strong start to the season, Minnesota started getting absolutely torched on defense,  allowing an average of 43.2 points per game in conference play, along with 507.7 yards per game!  The criticism was that Smith's scheme was just too complicated, and that his players were so confused with what they were supposed to do that their athleticism was wasted, leading to big play after big play. Sound familiar?  The difference is that Fleck sacked up and fired his DC after a particularly bad loss to Illinois,  installing his D-line coach as the interim (now permanent) DC, with the directive to simplify the defense and allow the athletes to be athletes.  The overall record before that move? 9-12. The record since?  11-1.

Great info -- forgot about Fleck firing his DC so quickly after poor results at Minnesota... Orlando's inability to adapt and simplify his defense to match his roster will be his downfall.

If an assistant is doing a crappy job, a good Head Coach should hold them accountable just like the players -- "Do yah hear that Mensa?"

Edited by LTtxfan

Can't speak for everyone but I certainly wasn't.  I actually think that much of the current local cynicism about Fleck has a lot to do with Brew's snake oil salesmanship- Now HE, is the personification of "All hat, no cattle" (as a head coach- he certainly has a roll as a position/recruiting coach).  In fact, the "Fat Pat" insult, if I recall, was in reference to a local columnist names Pat Reusse, who was an agitator at the time, and a full on troll now- particularly as it pertains to Fleck.  He often compares the two, though in my opinion that's a lazy take that takes 5 seconds to obliterate (even before Fleck's current run).

43 minutes ago, Clintonaldo said:

He strikes me as a poor man’s Butch Jones but I like Minnesota fans so I hope he isn’t. 

What did Jones ever really accomplish that he would already be a poor man's version of him? I mean the comparison is basically that they both coached at small schools in Michigan before moving on to bigger jobs but Jones never did anything of any real note. Fleck is only in year 2 or 3 at Minnesota and may already win 10 or more games which I don't think Jones ever did anywhere.

Just now, Surlybastard said:

What did Jones ever really accomplish that he would already be a poor man's version of him? I mean the comparison is basically that they both coached at small schools in Michigan before moving on to bigger jobs but Jones never did anything of any real note. Fleck is only in year 2 or 3 at Minnesota and may already win 10 or more games which I don't think Jones ever did anywhere.

The cheesiness is similar. Jones did have two 9 win seasons. 

55 minutes ago, Clintonaldo said:

He strikes me as a poor man’s Butch Jones but I like Minnesota fans so I hope he isn’t. 

He strikes me as a guy that’s gets real buy in from players and creates a culture of substance in his football program. Furthermore, it seems he develops players and puts them in positions to be the best they can be. 

The video reminds me that Coach Novak was/is PJ Fleck's biggest influence on his coaching. The young Fleck was a team leader on those crazy high ranked NIU teams and he would be chosen to talk to the media before or after the games like after their win over Alabama. Its crazy to think that they went 10-2 and didn't get into a bowl game after losing their division to Bowling Green, and only four games were televised on something other than pay per view.

Okay, its week 11 in College Football and Minnesota finally has a game where it can show some people some things and we can finally find out if they are really good or not. This is the battle for the Governor's Victory Bell, a battle of unbeaten teams ranked 5th and 13th in the country, for one of the most cherished prizes in all of College Football. Anyway, the game kicks off at 11 AM central on ABC and the early line has Penn State favored by 6.5

Anyway, one a serious note. Minnesota can win the division by beating the winner of the Wisconsin-Iowa game, or even get lucky and win the division while losing two or three of their final four. Its kinda like Fleck is playing with house money at this point in a successful season. He might even be hearing about how great the crew facilities are in Tallahassee or somewhere else.

On 10/30/2019 at 5:03 PM, George Clooney said:

Fleck will leave for a bigger job if he keeps Minnesota rolling. They're having trouble selling out probably their biggest game of this century. I don't care that he's from the midwest and has mostly stayed there; he'll leave UMN just like Mack left UNC.

I hear Austin is nice this time of year.....

Rumor is PJ is about to (or has today - depending on your source) sign an extension - due to soon to be open jobs (FSU, USC?, etc) and his buy out is "only" $5M so that won't be an issue for money programs.

Here is what the a Gopher writer has to say 
https://www.thedailygopher.com/2019/11/5/20949945/minnesota-gophers-football-coach-pj-flecks-contract-extension-buyout-terms

That is where we sit today. Essentially the University has extended Coach Fleck twice under essentially the same terms they agreed to when he was initially hired.

Well, now Fleck has his team with an 8-0 record and poised to give the fan base a season many have not seen in our lifetime. Big time helmet schools have either already fired their coach or are very likely to be doing so in the coming weeks.

PJ Fleck’s name will be mentioned and mentioned often. From these major programs like Florida State and expected to be USC, to more “regular” Power 5 schools who will view their program as a step up from Minnesota (South Carolina, Arkansas, Mississippi St, etc). On the one hand, these type of jobs open up every single year. There are helmet school openings (obvious upgrade jobs over Minnesota) and there are major conference program openings that may have some advantages.

This pending contract extension is less about fear about certain openings and more about doing what you have to do to retain the guy who seems to have your program going in the right direction. The Gopher program is guaranteed nothing and improvement will not be linear. But things are absolutely going in the right direction; on and off the field.

NCAA hammer is about to fall on the Gophers.

https://www.thedailygopher.com/2019/11/6/20951511/ncaa-launches-investigation-into-minnesotas-undefeated-record

As someone who hunted gophers as a kid in the 60s with a wagon full of water pails and a baseball bat, all for a stinking $.25 a tail, this pleases me. 

• Haha 1

On 11/5/2019 at 3:28 PM, GopherRock said:

If Herman doesn't achieve a conference championship and a playoff run in 2020 that $4.5 M will be chump change for the BMDs. Seriously though, If Fleck continues to impress and Herman continues to Mensa, CDC better take this approach with Fleck...

a9df40ac0d43fdbbd7484151586476e7fe72a2f3

2 hours ago, F250 said:

If Herman doesn't achieve a conference championship and a playoff run in 2020 that $4.5 M will be chump change for the BMDs. Seriously though, If Fleck continues to impress and Herman continues to Mensa, CDC better take this approach with Fleck...

a9df40ac0d43fdbbd7484151586476e7fe72a2f3

Stripper wife would be great running around Belmont, hanging out with Jody & Chris.

I'm not sure we're ready for the new traditions PJ would introduce.

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

NCAA hammer is about to fall on the Gophers.

https://www.thedailygopher.com/2019/11/6/20951511/ncaa-launches-investigation-into-minnesotas-undefeated-record

As someone who hunted gophers as a kid in the 60s with a wagon full of water pails and a baseball bat, all for a stinking $.25 a tail, this pleases me. 

"Nebraska vanished somewhere around 1998."  Don't tell Mullet.  

On 10/30/2019 at 5:03 PM, George Clooney said:

Fleck will leave for a bigger job if he keeps Minnesota rolling. They're having trouble selling out probably their biggest game of this century. I don't care that he's from the midwest and has mostly stayed there; he'll leave UMN just like Mack left UNC.

And it's a 50,000 seat stadium.  Smaller than their enrollment.

Minnesota has one of the shittiest P5 fanbases.

<Cue WhatTheBuck taking a shot at ISU/Campbell>

Edited by Al_4_ISU
  • Like 1

There are a bunch of universities and athletic departments that would not want Fleck branding “Row the Boat” everywhere. I think every school would be perfectly fine with him preaching it and having signs in the locker room, but there’s no way an AD like UT’s would even want that displayed in the stadium. The question is, would Fleck be fine with possibly lessening that mantra by its visibility being reduced? If he keeps winning, that will be his only roadblock to getting a blue blood job.

Also, I get the feeling Penn State handily beats them. I just see a calmness and confidence in Franklin like I did with Brian Kelly last year. That being said, there’s no way Penn State beats Ohio State this year. They won’t be able to score enough because Ohio State is easily capable of taking at least one of Hamler/Freiermuth out of the game.

On 11/7/2019 at 10:38 AM, Al_4_ISU said:

And it's a 50,000 seat stadium.  Smaller than their enrollment.

Minnesota has one of the shittiest P5 fanbases.

<Cue WhatTheBuck taking a shot at ISU/Campbell>

U of M fans love the Gophers, but they also love the Wild, Wolves, and Vikings. Iowa State fans need only choose between the Cyclones and the meat raffle at the American Legion.

• Like 1

That's not very nice.

Ehh. He’s right in that the Twin Cities present far more entertainment options, but it’s pretty obvious that Minnesotans decided along time ago that college sports were not a priority, at all. They are very passionate about their pro teams.

I don’t think it’s the existence of pro sports that drives their indifference to college sports. I think it’s more about not “lowering” themselves to the level of their neighbors.

Minnesotan hubris could impress a Texan

Ehh. He’s right in that the Twin Cities present far more entertainment options, but it’s pretty obvious that Minnesotans decided along time ago that college sports were not a priority, at all. They are very passionate about their pro teams.

I don’t think it’s the existence of pro sports that drives their indifference to college sports. I think it’s more about not “lowering” themselves to the level of their neighbors.

Minnesotan hubris could impress a Texan
I was just having a little fun...

This is all absolutely correct, except the last bit. Minnesotans have no hubris at all. Anything that resembles it is simply an overcompensated insecurity.
  • Like 1

I was just having a little fun...

This is all absolutely correct, except the last bit. Minnesotans have no hubris at all. Anything that resembles it is simply an overcompensated insecurity.

I’ve always thought (or at least taught) that they’re basically the same as thing (hubris/insecurity).

8 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Why does Wisconsin support both pro and college?

I think that the fan indifference at Minnesota was due to their sharing a Pro Stadium for all those years. The experience didn't create the loyal college fan that an on campus stadium like they have now would have. It is going to time and winning for that to happen.  It really makes a difference as an alum to be able to run around in your old stomping grounds before or after the game as opposed to the experience of a pro stadium that is all business. Imagine if we had every home game at Jerry World, that would suck.

I think that the fan indifference at Minnesota was due to their sharing a Pro Stadium for all those years. The experience didn't create the loyal college fan that an on campus stadium like they have now would have. It is going to time and winning for that to happen.  It really makes a difference as an alum to be able to run around in your old stomping grounds before or after the game as opposed to the experience of a pro stadium that is all business. Imagine if we had every home game at Jerry World, that would suck.

This definitely didn’t help. I attended a couple Iowa/Minnesota games in the Dome and it was a horrible atmosphere. The one TCF Bank I’ve been to (oddly enough, their last sell out - TCU ‘15) was a lot better.

At the end of the day, you have generations of Minnesotans who have grown up in a culture that actively demotes college sports in comparison to pro, and it’s not really in their DNA to put their hearts and souls info the Gophs. Twin Cities sports media are almost hostile towards them too, which can’t help.

2 hours ago, burntorangebongos said:

Agreed...and sharing a city.  I wonder if it's that simple?  Would UM athletics be more popular and perform better if they were in Mankato or St. Cloud?

11 minutes ago, SnowAggy said:

Agreed...and sharing a city.  I wonder if it's that simple?  Would UM athletics be more popular and perform better if they were in Mankato or St. Cloud?

No, going out after the game in a city like Minneapolis is a plus. It is here in Austin. It is that you have to train a whole fanbase to come to campus and enjoy the game and culture that is unique to your campus and fanbase. They really don't have traditions built around having a home stadium so that has to get amplified now that they do. They should copy some of what CDC is doing here to build that up. Culture is important and traditions that grow up around being a long time fan. But most important is winning, that raises everyone's spirit and gets them to want to party and enjoy the hell out of the experience. Irritation at parking or traffic really gets minimized with a win when you are blasting your fight song and yelling at the loser fans that they suck. The true joys of the college gameday experience. 

Seriously, the Gophers have a fine opportunity to seize the day with the team and Fleck bringing in the Ws. This should go a long way towards building a solid foundation to a great gameday experience.