Row the damn boat

JimmyHoffa

If Minnesota could get their fanbase to care, I think they could take off quicker.  Get some more donor money flowing in, and build some investment in the program.  Minnesotans just don't give a shit about the Gophers.  It's always puzzled me.  If they could regularly draw crowds, I think it would help the recruiting as it's a beautiful campus with a beautiful stadium located (nearly) downtown in a big city.

3 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

If Minnesota could get their fanbase to care, I think they could take off quicker.  Get some more donor money flowing in, and build some investment in the program.  Minnesotans just don't give a shit about the Gophers.  It's always puzzled me.  If they could regularly draw crowds, I think it would help the recruiting as it's a beautiful campus with a beautiful stadium located (nearly) downtown in a big city.

Minnesota high school football sucks so it's not like they can just lock down the state and have the talent they need.  That means they have to convince some southerners to come up there and that's a tough sell.

14 hours ago, Not a cat said:

Minnesota high school football sucks so it's not like they can just lock down the state and have the talent they need.  That means they have to convince some southerners to come up there and that's a tough sell.

They could mine the Rust Belt.  Plenty of football talent there that's used to cold weather.

That's the biggest reason Campbell has been able to be competent at ISU.  Rather than try and convince kids from Texas to come north, he's convinced kids from Ohio and Michigan to come west.  Hell, in some regards Iowa and Minnesota (at least Minneapolis) have better weather than those places, because we don't get lake effect snow and all the gloom/cloudiness.

Minneapolis, despite 3 months of cold, is a really nice city with a lot to offer.  Minnesota could be a lot better than they are despite their location and lack of local talent.

Edited by Al_4_ISU

2 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

They could mine the Rust Belt.  Plenty of football talent there that's used to cold weather.

That's the biggest reason Campbell has been able to be competent at ISU.  Rather than try and convince kids from Texas to come north, he's convinced kids from Ohio and Michigan to come west.  Hell, in some regards Iowa and Minnesota (at least Minneapolis) have better weather than those places, because we don't get lake effect snow and all the gloom/cloudiness.

Minneapolis, despite 3 months of cold, is a really nice city with a lot to offer.  Minnesota could be a lot better than they are despite their location and lack of local talent.

I'm calling bullshit on three.

5 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

You also probably think 50 degrees is hot.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Nope.  You guys seem to not realize that not only do we get the joy of subzero days in the winter, we get 100 degree days in the summer too.  We just don't get them for weeks on end, or north of 105.

My scale is this:

90+ = hot

80-90 = warm

65-80 = perfect

50-65 = mild

32-50 = chilly

10-32 = cold

Anything below 10 = cold as fuck

Edited by Al_4_ISU

35 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Nope.  You guys seem to not realize that not only do we get the joy of subzero days in the winter, we get 100 degree days in the summer too.  We just don't get them for weeks on end, or north of 105.

My scale is this:

90+ = hot

80-90 = warm

65-80 = perfect

50-65 = mild

32-50 = chilly

10-32 = cold

By your definition, Minneapolis gets 3 months of cold as fuck and another 1-2 of cold.  Source- I live in this ice encrusted place.

26 minutes ago, Not a cat said:

By your definition, Minneapolis gets 3 months of cold as fuck and another 1-2 of cold.  Source- I live in this ice encrusted place.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minneapolis

Go to the weather section.  There are 3 months (December-February) where the average daily high is below 40 degrees.  By my definition of "cold", I was right on the money.  Your definition likely differs.

1 hour ago, Not a cat said:

I'm using lows, you're using highs.  I think that explains our disagreement.  I use highs when bitching about heat, lows when bitching about cold.  

Makes sense.

Yeah, I use highs because that occurs in the hours when one would generally be outside.  

If you use the high to low swing, Minneapolis has seen a 150 degree swing in recorded temp.  That's nuts.

On March 29, 2018 at 7:56 AM, Al_4_ISU said:

My scale is this:

90+ = hot

80-90 = warm

65-80 = perfect

50-65 = mild

32-50 = chilly

10-32 = cold

That's precisely my scale as well - we just rarely get "hot" or "cold" here, and never "cold as fuck."

It has been known to rain at times, however....

• 2 weeks later...

I think it will all come down to how much Demry Croft can develop as a passer. We all know he can run and scramble, but the offense was a little one-dimensional when the passing game was shut down. Can the Gopher offense get a little more of a play action or even a waggle passing game developed in camp? I know they brought in some hot new kid but my money is on Croft holding it down at least to start the new season.

On 3/29/2018 at 9:56 AM, Al_4_ISU said:

My scale is this:

90+ = hot

80-90 = warm

65-80 = perfect

50-65 = mild

32-50 = chilly

10-32 = cold

My scale is a bit simpler than this:

115 or more: (It's hot, and I won't be outside unless performing work duties or saving a family member from the wrath of Kahn)...

114 to 35: (It's just weather, so i just deal with it by either layering up, or stripping down & scaring all of the community cats & dogs)...

34 or less: (it's cold, and I won't be outside unless performing work duties or saving a family member from the wrath of Kahn)...

But it would be cool to see Minnesota return to levels of play never seen during the duration of my lifetime, was surprised to learn the Gophers have gridiron national championships...

I think it will all come down to how much Demry Croft can develop as a passer. We all know he can run and scramble, but the offense was a little one-dimensional when the passing game was shut down. Can the Gopher offense get a little more of a play action or even a waggle passing game developed in camp? I know they brought in some hot new kid but my money is on Croft holding it down at least to start the new season.

ummm... someone want to tell him?

18 minutes ago, JimmyHoffa said:

44K average out of 50K capacity with no sellouts. 

All while being the only D1 (let alone P5) school in their state and being located within a Top 15 largest metro area.

There aren't many schools whose stadium is smaller than their student body, but they make that list.

Edited by Al_4_ISU

On 4/15/2018 at 4:33 PM, trza-hawk said:

This is the whitest And1 video I've ever watched.... between teams that represent Wonderbread states.

• 2 weeks later...

I am counting two former Boat Rower recruits in the draft so far,

Chukwuma Okorofor turned down offers from lower tier Power 5 schools to stay close to home at Western, now he is going to the Steelers

Then Darius Phillips is going to Cincinnati.