Row the damn boat

JimmyHoffa

https://collegefootball.ap.org/article/former-current-football-players-sue-university-minnesota

Nine former and current University of Minnesota football players who say their rights were violated in a sexual misconduct investigation are suing the school, alleging they're victims of racial and gender discrimination.

The federal lawsuit was filed Friday. It stems from the university's investigation into an alleged gang rape of a female student in 2016.

The lawsuit argues that the university turned the nine black players into scapegoats to appease federal authorities and deflect scrutiny over the school's handling of sexual harassment allegations against white men in the athletics department.

The plaintiffs' names aren't included in the lawsuit.

No criminal charges were filed in the 2016 investigation. Five students were expelled or suspended, while five others were cleared.

The university says it will vigorously defend its handling of the case.

https://collegefootball.ap.org/article/former-current-football-players-sue-university-minnesota
Nine former and current University of Minnesota football players who say their rights were violated in a sexual misconduct investigation are suing the school, alleging they're victims of racial and gender discrimination.
The federal lawsuit was filed Friday. It stems from the university's investigation into an alleged gang rape of a female student in 2016.
The lawsuit argues that the university turned the nine black players into scapegoats to appease federal authorities and deflect scrutiny over the school's handling of sexual harassment allegations against white men in the athletics department.
The plaintiffs' names aren't included in the lawsuit.
No criminal charges were filed in the 2016 investigation. Five students were expelled or suspended, while five others were cleared.
The university says it will vigorously defend its handling of the case.

Has nothing to do with Fleck. This lawsuit was expected, and stems from the debacle that brought him here in the first place.
  • Like 1

On 3/28/2018 at 10:37 PM, Parliament said:

This thread reminds me of why it's a PRIVILEGE to be a member of this board.

Regarding the "Gophers were never good at football," comment.  You, Sir, are WRONG. Minny has many NC's (from way back):

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minnesota_Golden_Gophers_football

Now wait just a minute. Are you implying that the minnesota golden gophers have more MNCs, both real and imagined, than the fighting texum bulldogs? Because that would clearly make this a blue blood program worthy of admission to the mighty SEC.

• 3 weeks later...
15 minutes ago, TtomTerrific said:

Minnesota Golden Gophers being more "tradition rich" as well as contemporarily successful at college football than dork fuck aggy is not news nor should it be surprising. 

They are the Flagship University in their State. 

I've always thought Minnesota should be at the level of Wisconsin in the B1G west division, as a program with far better in-state talent than both Iowa & Nebraska...

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
37 minutes ago, trza-hawk said:

Former Boat Rower and Fleck recruit Sam Beal ran a good forty and was taken by the NY Giants in the NFL Supplemental Draft, the Giants lose their 3rd round pick in the next draft by taking him. That makes three Boat Rowers taken in this draft.

Highlights of Sam Beal:

1 hour ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

True Freshman walk-on.

Three star from Florida (IMG Academy).  He's a walk-on, but did have offers from some power 5 schools.  They're were going to struggle with or without him, but it's not quite as bad as it sounds. 

Edited by TexasHooch

27 minutes ago, TexasHooch said:

Three star from Florida (IMG Academy).  He's a walk-on, but did have offers from some power 5 schools.  They're were going to struggle with or without him, but it's not quite as bad as it sounds. 

New drinking game. Every time an announcer brings up the fact that Baker Mayfield was a walk-on during a Minnesota game take a shot.  

• Haha 1

Ok this makes a hell of a lot more sense now-

Front-runner: Tanner Morgan

Contender: Zack Annexstad

Longshots: Jon Santaga, Samuel Pickerign

The situation: Minnesota is the unenviable situation of picking a starting quarterback despite not having one of the roster that has thrown a college pass. Morgan has emerged as the front-runner after following P.J. Fleck to Minnesota after initially being committed to Western Michigan. He spent last season redshirting and that experience may turn out to be quite valuable when a final decision is made during fall camp. Annexstad is a true freshman who enrolled early, but didn’t even have 1,000 yards passing in his senior high school season at IMG Academy. Gophers fans are hoping whoever wins this battle will be the starter for years to come.

Fuck, who in the Big10 isn’t currently involved in some type of abuse allegations/charges? How hard is it to tell the players you’re gone if you get involved in any of this, send a fucking message.

Schools who haven’t had good football programs in decades are fucking up. Just kick those guys off of the team. It isn’t like finishing 5th rather then 6th is a big deal? And they still get their cut of the pie regardless. Someone show some fucking class.

I was thinking of bringing it up on the thread on the old board, but I never got around to it.

One of the biggest days of Coach Novak's time at Northern Illinois was a big upset over Alabama in 2003, the game was remembered for the running back Michael Burner Turner having a day and the NIU defense really shutting down the Mike Shula offense. The Alabama team was ranked at the time, but their season fell down pretty quick and the rest of Shula's time at Bama is mostly forgotten.

But the game write ups still on the internet seem to quote the same obscure wide receiver for the Huskies:

P.J. FLECK (WR)

"This is a huge win for our players and for our team, but this is also just another win for our season, this is number three. This is just another feather in Coach Novak's hat."

(On NIU Rushing performance)
"We weren't that surprised. Our offensive line did a great job. We were on the field for a long time and we wore them down. I think that was the difference.

(On importance of victory)
"I think it surprised a lot of people in this stadium, but it didn't surprise the 100 guys in this room. A lot of people don't give us a lot of respect. So it's pretty much only those 100 guys and our fans who believed in us."

"https://rolltide.com/news/2003/9/21/Northern_Illinois_Defeats_No_21_Alabama_19_16.aspx

Northern Illinois has blocked 13 kicks in its past 16 games.

"I really don't think they respected us as much as they should
have," Huskies receiver P.J. Fleck said. "Sometimes the most
talented teams don't win football games, and I really think they're
more athletic.

"But it's the team."

http://www.espn.com/college-football/recap?gameId=232630333

• Like 1

On August 28, 2018 at 10:18 AM, ISUCyclones said:

https://gophersports.com/sb_output.aspx?form=1024

So uh, boat taking on water or what? Buy 3 red baron pizzas and get 2 free Gophers tickets. Couldn't even partner with an upscale frozen pizza to give away tickets?

What's wrong with Red Baron? They rock. And I've seen worse ticket giveaways. 

Remember this one? Have a Coke and a Michigan ticket:

https://www.sbnation.com/2014/9/22/6831037/michigan-will-give-you-2-free-tickets-for-2-cokes

Coincidentally that was for a game against Minnesota, a game the Gophers won 30-14. 

Taking on water? Cute pun but it's just Fleck's second year. He just signed the second best class in the B1G West. It was ranked first before Scott Frost was hired at Nebraska. Don't sell him short yet. If he wins, the fans will come. 

Funny how he seems to have a lot fewer fans since he made the move from WMU to a P5 school. It's not surprising that ISU fans are rooting against him. 

On 8/28/2018 at 9:38 AM, Al_4_ISU said:

I'd really love to play a home and home with them.  25,000 ISU fans in TCF Bank would be hilarious.

Iowa State would actually out seat many schools in the B1G west division, as Minnesota/ Illinois & Northwestern... There's value in them there 'Clones..!

6 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

https://www.sbnation.com/2014/9/22/6831037/michigan-will-give-you-2-free-tickets-for-2-cokes

Coincidentally that was for a game against Minnesota, a game the Gophers won 30-14. 

Taking on water? Cute pun but it's just Fleck's second year. He just signed the second best class in the B1G West. It was ranked first before Scott Frost was hired at Nebraska. Don't sell him short yet. If he wins, the fans will come. 

Funny how he seems to have a lot fewer fans since he made the move from WMU to a P5 school. It's not surprising that ISU fans are rooting against him. 

Rooting against Fleck?  Where are you getting that, and why would we have any interest in doing so?

I'm mocking Minnesota's joke of a fanbase.  I'd love to see Fleck mop the floor with Iowa and Nebraska every year.

7 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Yeah, I haven't interacted with a Minnesota fan in probably 10 years living on the east coast, so I really don't care one way or the other. I just think it's hilarious that the fans are so shitty they need to give away tickets with frozen pizza, no offense to row the boat. 

8 hours ago, kopp0e said:

Iowa State would actually out seat many schools in the B1G west division, as Minnesota/ Illinois & Northwestern... There's value in them there 'Clones..!

Our attendance would be about the midpoint of the Big 10, better than most of the ACC and Pac 12, and even respectable in the SEC (on par or ahead of the MIssissippi schools).

16 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

If the Gophers struggle to a 24-14, 17-6 type win and not a 55-10 type win tonight, we've got some big issues. The boat might need an engine. Interested to see how the true redshirt freshman does at QB. he looks like a 9th grader

Annexstad_Zach

Thought you were NDSU/UT?

1 hour ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Our attendance would be about the midpoint of the Big 10, better than most of the ACC and Pac 12, and even respectable in the SEC (on par or ahead of the MIssissippi schools).

If I had another posi+rep, you would get it, and I agree, Iowa State has some of the most underrated fans of all P5... #ExceptionalPeople...