Row the damn boat

JimmyHoffa

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

PJ Fleck inks new 7yr contract through 2029

DOUG SAMUELS         20 HOURS AGO

PJ Fleck has signed a new contract that aims to keep him with the Gophers through 2029.  The contract amounts to a new seven-year deal. No financial terms have been disclosed.

Fleck recently wrapped up his sixth season at Minnesota, and holds a 43-27 record with the program.  Those 43 wins are good for fifth in school history, and his winning percentage is third best among the nearly dozen Gophers coaches that have been there at least 45 games.

Fleck shared the following statement in the school's release:

"This is all about cultural sustainability. We have talked about that from day one, and this new contract is a commitment to continuing to change our best academically, athletically, socially and spiritually. It is also a commitment to our elite staff and our tremendous fans. During the last six years, we have been able to do some amazing things at Minnesota, some of which have not been accomplished in more than 115 years. It is a tremendous honor to lead this football program, and our goal is to compete for championships every year. We are so grateful to the Board of Regents, President Joan Gabel, Mark Coyle and our staff for allowing us to do so. Heather and I and our family love living here and we are excited to continue on this journey with the entire state of Minnesota." 

Fleck and the Gophers put together an 8-4 season this fall, marking their third straight season of at least 8-wins.

• 7 months later...

This guy seems like he's fun.

Spoiler

Over the last month, Front Office Sports interviewed several former players and staff members about Fleck’s six seasons as the Gophers’ head coach. They described an environment fraught with intimidation and toxicity and referenced the “Fleck Bank” — a system that allowed players with enough “coins” to get away with positive drug tests, and other violations of team rules. 

The Fleck Bank tracked community service — including visiting patients at the University of Minnesota Medical Center with Fleck — and was a way to keep tabs on players’ studying habits, multiple former players said. Two former players said those who provided information on other players were given Fleck Bank credits.

Just now, LTtxfan said:

Yeah if I recall, ctj made fun of pj fleck a lot... 😋

Some of the 2nd marriage wedding pics were cringy...

-1bc2b6e1fa040bef.JPG

R.dd353b4e08aac6253c004c24083780b7?rik=V

Screenshot_20230726-142359_kindlephoto-3267942.png.82dec128757192bb25f735d4d0b4a5d6.png

Ca-6g69VAAAXQD9.jpg

I make fun of a lot of people in sports.

I've read the stuff regarding this burgeoning "controversy" and if Minnesota does anything but ignore it all, they deserve what they get when his departure leads to that program plunging back into the nether regions of the sport. Newsflash: Ex-players that didn't get as much PT or got pushed out of a program will usually have an axe to grind with the HC.

Successful coaches are usually egotists who have processes for managing their rosters, whether up or out for players, as well as keeping tabs on them. His approach seems ridiculous, but I'm not reading anything that causes outrage. 

I don't like the guy, but I respect his results as a coach and this shit looks like more cancel culture manufacturing than anything. I reserve the right to change my mind if more comes out that tangibly shows the guy as dangerous versus just a cringeworthy douche. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

This is the third time the same guy has pushed this story as breaking news. If there was anything to it, the MSP media (which easily has the worst college sports media coverage in the Big Ten and has already flushed out at least 2 massive scandal in the U of M athletic department) would have pounced on it. 

• 1 month later...