Row the damn boat

JimmyHoffa

8 minutes ago, kopp0e said:

Hmm...
I wonder if there would be any interest of PJ Fleck, to coach at Texas Tech... I can see the coaches show now #Fleck@Tech...
(I think Minnesota could actually be a better destination job than that of Texas Tech, all things being equal)...
The Golden Gophers are a state flagship, the Red Raiders have access to elite talent, within the Lone Star State; so it is debatable...

It's tough to evaluate those jobs against each other.

Tech has much better fan support, and more in-state talent.  However, Lubbock is pretty isolated, and that in-state talent is far enough way that getting them in isn't a slam dunk.

Minneapolis is a fantastic city, but the University is a complete and total afterthought within that larger context.  Gopher football might be in the 6th place spot for Minnesota sports fans interests (Vikings>Wild>Twins>Wolves>Gophers hockey>Gophers football).

Facilities are fairly similar.  Both TCF Bank and Jones AT&T are nice stadiums that are either new or recently renovated.  

With Fleck having roots and recruiting background in the Upper Midwest vs the south Plains, I can't see why he'd move.  Tech seems like a lateral move from Minnesota, for the most part, but if things like fan support are really important to Fleck, he could do much better than Minnesota.  If he has a certain comfort level in a geographic area, he's where he should be.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

It's tough to evaluate those jobs against each other.

Tech has much better fan support, and more in-state talent.  However, Lubbock is pretty isolated, and that in-state talent is far enough way that getting them in isn't a slam dunk.

Minneapolis is a fantastic city, but the University is a complete and total afterthought within that larger context.  Gopher football might be in the 6th place spot for Minnesota sports fans interests (Vikings>Wild>Twins>Wolves>Gophers hockey>Gophers football).

Facilities are fairly similar.  Both TCF Bank and Jones AT&T are nice stadiums that are either new or recently renovated.  

With Fleck having roots and recruiting background in the Upper Midwest vs the south Plains, I can't see why he'd move.  Tech seems like a lateral move from Minnesota, for the most part, but if things like fan support are really important to Fleck, he could do much better than Minnesota.  If he has a certain comfort level in a geographic area, he's where he should be.

Since Fleck is divorced, proximity to his 3 kids is probably important too.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Sour grapes. Maybe country jer can get his guys jobs at southern Illinois.

That said... fleck is just annoying now that he coaches in MN. At western Michigan, I could enjoy his antics, traditions he made up, silly third down hand gestures and funny slogans. Now hes the over the top, needs to be seen and heard dad that you just want to punch in the face

So here we are after the second year of B1G football... all hes really done is beat a down wisconsin team. He got his ass kicked as an underdog vs winless nebraska which imo negates anything to do with the wisconsin win. And on sports talk radio during "golden minute with Pj" or whatever the hell they call it, i get to hear the same BS excerpts after every loss. "We weren't elite... we gotta be better.. we weren't prepared... we're young and need to grow from this loss "

2019 will be a make or break year for PJ. Is he a snake oil salesman or a program changer. The B1G west isn't exactly a gauntlet so if hes not contending with a favorable schedule(no michigan, michigan st or ohio st, penn st at home)... I wouldn't be surprised if his seat gets hot.

• Like 1

Just leave it alone, this is a bad look for Kill, who I assume is still a fan favorite in the area...

Fleck is doing a marvelous job at Minnesota... This sounds more along the lines of "sour grapes"...
He has the Gophers with a legit chance to win the west division of B1G this year, (or Nebraska), so if you can't say something nice...

48 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

That said... fleck is just annoying now that he coaches in MN. At western Michigan, I could enjoy his antics, traditions he made up, silly third down hand gestures and funny slogans. Now hes the over the top, needs to be seen and heard dad that you just want to punch in the face

So here we are after the second year of B1G football... all hes really done is beat a down wisconsin team. He got his ass kicked as an underdog vs winless nebraska which imo negates anything to do with the wisconsin win. And on sports talk radio during "golden minute with Pj" or whatever the hell they call it, i get to hear the same BS excerpts after every loss. "We weren't elite... we gotta be better.. we weren't prepared... we're young and need to grow from this loss "

2019 will be a make or break year for PJ. Is he a snake oil salesman or a program changer. The B1G west isn't exactly a gauntlet so if hes not contending with a favorable schedule(no michigan, michigan st or ohio st, penn st at home)... I wouldn't be surprised if his seat gets hot.

With the empty cupboard and gang rapes, Minny was a dumpster fire when Fleck rowed his boat into town.  I agree he's an odd fit, but he has them pointed in the right direction.

ETA

Kill sounds like a cockbag.

Edited by Parliament

2 hours ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Not every program is like Texas, where if you don't have your team competing for conference championships by year 3 you're on the hot seat.

Not every program is like Texas, where if you don't have your team competing for conference championships by year 3 you're on the hot seat.

I get that. Texas is a whole other level of crazy. But if we're talking results on the field and a very poor B1G record through 2 years, another year might get the wheels turning. Brewster, Kill( health reasons) , claeys(sticking up for players involved in sexual assault case) and now fleck have all been coaches this decade. Minnesota is by no means a powerhouse or attractive job. But fleck, imo, is starting to tread that all hat, no cattle line.

I was more impressed his team's effort losing at ohio st by like 10 and keeping it close over their wisconsin win

17 hours ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

I get that. Texas is a whole other level of crazy. But if we're talking results on the field and a very poor B1G record through 2 years, another year might get the wheels turning. Brewster, Kill( health reasons) , claeys(sticking up for players involved in sexual assault case) and now fleck have all been coaches this decade. Minnesota is by no means a powerhouse or attractive job. But fleck, imo, is starting to tread that all hat, no cattle line.

I was more impressed his team's effort losing at ohio st by like 10 and keeping it close over their wisconsin win

We’re talking about football in Minnesota. Let’s be honest, their football program is tier 2. Minnesota is known for hockey and wrestling, 2 sports that they absolutely excel in. 

Edited by Longboard Horn

• 6 months later...
Fools! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders. The most famous is 'Never get involved in a land war in Asia,' but only slightly less well known is this: 'Never schedule a Dakota State school for an easy FCS win!'

Don't play cards with any guy named after a city

Regarding fleck.... he's not cut out for big time college football. His teams havent shown any progression. They looked like 6 wins in a schedule with no Michigan, Ohio state and home vs Penn state.

Tough games at Iowa northwestern and Purdue. That's it

9 hours ago, ztejas said:

Fools! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders. The most famous is 'Never get involved in a land war in Asia,' but only slightly less well known is this: 'Never schedule a Dakota State school for an easy FCS win!'

Our AD fucking loves scheduling FCS schools from northern plains states.  We've had the luxury of NDSU, SDSU, USD, and (on a far too consistent basis) Northern Iowa.

I would rather see us pay extra money to schedule a Sun Belt school that is objectively shittier than these teams, at least plays in the FBS division, and doesn't bring 5,000 fans to their biggest game of the season.

Edited by Al_4_ISU

1 hour ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Our AD fucking loves scheduling FCS schools from northern plains states.  We've had the luxury of NDSU, SDSU, USD, and (on a far too consistent basis) Northern Iowa.

I would rather see us pay extra money to schedule a Sun Belt school that is objectively shittier than these teams, at least plays in the FBS division, and doesn't bring 5,000 fans to their biggest game of the season.

Joel Maturi (Minnesota AD in the early 2000s) also loved booking the Dakota schools. Between us, I think we bankrolled the transitions of all the Dakota schools to 1-AA.

Like you, I don't ever want to see any of the Dakota schools on our schedule ever again. I remember the first game vs.. NDSU in 2006 at the Humpty Dump. There was so much green and gold that it felt like Lambeau Field. 

As for the game last night, it lacked any aesthetic niceties, but a win is a win. 

8 minutes ago, GopherRock said:

Joel Maturi (Minnesota AD in the early 2000s) also loved booking the Dakota schools. Between us, I think we bankrolled the transitions of all the Dakota schools to 1-AA.

Like you, I don't ever want to see any of the Dakota schools on our schedule ever again. I remember the first game vs.. NDSU in 2006 at the Humpty Dump. There was so much green and gold that it felt like Lambeau Field. 

As for the game last night, it lacked any aesthetic niceties, but a win is a win. 

You guys have that weird dynamic of tons of Minnesotans actually going to school in the Dakotas, right?

I think we have that deal with South Dakota, and I know a lot of Iowans who went to SDSU.

7 minutes ago, GopherRock said:

And Chris Farley's HS football coach and inspiration for Matt Foley, motivational speaker.

39 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

You guys have that weird dynamic of tons of Minnesotans actually going to school in the Dakotas, right?

I think we have that deal with South Dakota, and I know a lot of Iowans who went to SDSU.

That is correct. Mostly from western Minnesota, though. Being afraid of the big city is a real thing in areas that are a long ways from the Twin Cities. 

12 minutes ago, GopherRock said:

That is correct. Mostly from western Minnesota, though. Being afraid of the big city is a real thing in areas that are a long ways from the Twin Cities. 

And not being able to get into UM.  See also, Superhawks from the Western (Chicago) Suburbs.

15 minutes ago, GopherRock said:

I still think that would definitely inflate the fan presence of the Dakota schools.

Although NDSU and SDSU always sell their allotment in Ames.  Those fuckers travel well.

Ames is ridiculously easy to get to. Its probably the second closest fbs school to most dakota school fans after MN. Nebraska 3rd. Next yr NDSU resumes their fbs terror at Oregon. Thatll be a freaking test for the team and for fan travel..it isnt a day drive to iowa city ames Manhattan Minneapolis etc.

Not sure if I'm going

Lolol. I live in moorhead and deal with small town folk every day. You should head out to target field area tomorrow if you really want to see the pearl clutchers.

But downtown Minneapolis establishments are set to make soooooo much money tonight and tomorrow.

10 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Ames is ridiculously easy to get to. Its probably the second closest fbs school to most dakota school fans after MN. Nebraska 3rd. Next yr NDSU resumes their fbs terror at Oregon. Thatll be a freaking test for the team and for fan travel..it isnt a day drive to iowa city ames Manhattan Minneapolis etc.

Not sure if I'm going

Do it!  My sister went to UO...Eugene is great and Autzen is pretty cool.

• 3 weeks later...