They Shall Not Grow Old - peter jackson documentary about the great war

futureman

Still need to see this, but will probably wait until I can stream it. WWI aviation is always something I enjoy reading about because it was so new and they were just figuring out how to kill each other with their new airplanes. Plus airships. And everything looks like something you could build yourself if you had the time or money.

The blimps and wing warping planes would be nice to see.

Today’s WWI trivia.  See the ship below?  It was laid down the same year the Titannic sank. It launched in 1913 and entered service in 1915. .  Raised a fair amount of submarines and other vessels, served through the Russian Revolution and both World Wars. .   It’s still in service with the Russian fleet. 
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russian_salvage_ship_Kommuna
800px-Kommuna_rescue_ship_2008_G2.jpg

This is fucking nuts that a ship built so long ago is still plying its trade. Insane.
  • Like 1

Forgive the ignorant olds question, but I've never messed around with podcasts (one of the few downsides of a short commute).  What's the best way to go about listening to that on an Android device, particularly downloadable?  The boys and I have a road trip coming up at spring break and that might be cool -- but we'll be going through some areas with crappy or no signal.

EDIT:
Never mind, just found it on Google Play.  It's just a bit cumbersome for an old idiot like me.

Edited by Damor
muledick

3 minutes ago, Damor said:

Forgive the ignorant olds question, but I've never messed around with podcasts (one of the few downsides of a short commute).  What's the best way to go about listening to that on an Android device, particularly downloadable?  The boys and I have a road trip coming up at spring break and that might be cool -- but we'll be going through some areas with crappy or no signal.

I'll only be partially of help, as I did notice you were concerned about some of the coverage areas.  I'm listening to the podcast straight off of YouTube.  Good thing is that there are no ads.  I'm 4 hours in and completely addicted.

This also may help.

https://www.wikihow.com/Listen-to-Podcasts-on-Android

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Damor said:

EDIT:
Never mind, just found it on Google Play.  It's just a bit cumbersome for an old idiot like me.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.bambuna.podcastaddict&hl=en_US

you can download any file offline to play on the phone.

• Like 1

On 2/10/2019 at 9:36 PM, atomheartbevo said:

Today’s WWI trivia.  See the ship below?  It was laid down the same year the Titannic sank. It launched in 1913 and entered service in 1915. .  Raised a fair amount of submarines and other vessels, served through the Russian Revolution and both World Wars. .   It’s still in service with the Russian fleet. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russian_salvage_ship_Kommuna

800px-Kommuna_rescue_ship_2008_G2.jpg

What's so interesting to me about this is that in Carlin's podcast a major theme is how during WWI tactics hadn't kept up with technology.  That's why there was so much senseless slaughter.

When I see this ship I think about the naval battles where the greatest navy in the world was cowed because of the thought of losing a single battleship to a lucky shot from a German torpedo would've been absolutely devastating to their psyche and war effort.

Nice find AHB

On 2/10/2019 at 10:02 PM, cabowabo said:

I went and saw this tonight with my 13 year old son and thought it was very meh. Sure, there was some really cool footage, but that was about it. I couldn’t understand half of what the narrators were saying during the movie. They didn’t play the really good music/score that was heard on the trailer. Seeing it at a movie theater added nothing to the experience. Was definitely not worth the $45 tab I spent to see it.  Should have just waited until it hit Netflix. 

Man I'm sorry to hear that.  

On 2/10/2019 at 7:57 AM, Knoxtnhorn said:

Dammit.  I'm going to neg some of y'all for making me start the Carlin podcast.  I can't stop listening, and I don't have the time.  It's on YouTube, btw.  It's amazing.  I was hooked within 2 mins.

That's where I am. I just finished Blueprint for Armageddon II. I can't stop listening. 

25 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

Carlin's voice is just a bit too dramatic for me.

He borders on melodrama at times, I'll grant.  And here and there are some minor historical inaccuracies when he wants to "enhance" the storytelling* where you need to take him with a critical mind (usually when he's at his most melodramatic).  He's at his best when discussing the broad contours of history and quoting primary sources and credible compilers (i.e., true historians).  Of course, he can't go back and fix those later either.  He's stuck with those inaccuracies.  He appears to be getting better at sourcing as he goes along, as there are no shortage of his own followers who point them out. 

*For example, the "Princip stopped into a store for a sandwich" story:  https://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/gavrilo-princips-sandwich-79480741/ and in the case of fields of bones at Stalingrad:  

You can't [see the fields of bones]; there are none. I love Dan, but I think this story was untrue and based on some urban legends and perhaps fake photos. There would've been some photos of a thing like that floating around on the internet. You can find some information here: https://history.stackexchange.com/questions/11679/are-the-bone-fields-of-the-stalingrad-encircled-battlefields-real

4 hours ago, Chad Fuck said:

He borders on melodrama at times, I'll grant.  And here and there are some minor historical inaccuracies when he wants to "enhance" the storytelling* where you need to take him with a critical mind (usually when he's at his most melodramatic).  He's at his best when discussing the broad contours of history and quoting primary sources and credible compilers (i.e., true historians).  Of course, he can't go back and fix those later either.  He's stuck with those inaccuracies.  He appears to be getting better at sourcing as he goes along, as there are no shortage of his own followers who point them out. 

*For example, the "Princip stopped into a store for a sandwich" story:  https://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/gavrilo-princips-sandwich-79480741/ and in the case of fields of bones at Stalingrad:  

The field of bones motif shows up too in King of Kings and the Mongols when he refers to the extermination of whole cities.

Whether it's true or not I don't know but it definitely adds color and I enjoy it.  

Started listening to Flash Point History and its not bad.  Currently working through a 3 part series on Atilla the Hun.

The guy is a better storyteller than most history podcasts I've come across.  Not too dry. Definitely no Carlin though. 

Next up Punic Wars then the Crusades.  It'll buy some time until the next HH.

What's so interesting to me about this is that in Carlin's podcast a major theme is how during WWI tactics hadn't kept up with technology.  That's why there was so much senseless slaughter.
When I see this ship I think about the naval battles where the greatest navy in the world was cowed because of the thought of losing a single battleship to a lucky shot from a German torpedo would've been absolutely devastating to their psyche and war effort.
Nice find AHB

That isn’t uncommon. Tanks in ww2 underwent some refining in use as well.

1 hour ago, Parliament said:

To one degree or another, it happens in EVERY war. Look at rifle development in the Civil War. Drones in the WoT.

Crazy thing is, we got a glimpse of WWI-style trench/siege warfare, as well as overall devastation of cities/large areas, in the American Civil War.  Not just Vicksburg either.  And there were plenty of European observers.   Those lessons got lost, or were more likely ignored.

There is a YouTube video somebody like Carlin did, showing photos from the Civil War and WWI side-by-side, and it was uncanny how much devastation there was between the two.