Let's Talk Tractors , Implements and Such

cabowabo

5 hours ago, Spaulding Smails said:

I use the heck out of the skeleton bucket on my skidsteer.  Perfect for separating rocks from fill, etc.  I think it would work great.  If you have a little dump trailer or something you can move around with a utility vehicle or truck, that seems like it would be a great setup.  Plus, you could move the manure to a different area to compost.  

Where are you located?  I bought mine from this guy.  Out in Marble Falls.  I've had it about three years and no issues.

https://idigtexas.com/product-category/skid-steer-attachments/rock-buckets/

Yes, I've ordered a skeleton bucket. Thanks for the feedback, Shag- err, assholes. 

• 1 month later...

Do Gators count? I've been kinda looking around for someone local to do some work on an old 4x2, mid 2000s. Always ran like a top, but it needs maintenance, I got a new dash and glove box for it, new seats, needs a new drive belt, the key won't shut off the engine because of a wiring issue somewhere (it's not the switch, I already replaced it), etc.. Finding the wire problem (probably from rats) is the one that is probably the biggest headache, but I don't really have the patience or aptitude to take on all that stuff. I would love to find somebody in the Bell County are to do it for a fair price, but they are hard to find.

• 1 month later...

Help me price this, please.

2017 New Holland Workmaster 33 + Woods RT 60.40 Tiller

• 116 hours
  • 33 HP
  • 25 PTO HP
  • 60" Loader
  • Hydrostatic transmission
  • Original owner. Never serviced
  • ~50 hours on tiller

Suggested sale price on tractor alone (via tractor buy net) is $19,500.  Asking $19,500 for both of them.

2 hours ago, ernest_t_bass said:

Help me price this, please.

2017 New Holland Workmaster 33 + Woods RT 60.40 Tiller

• 116 hours
  • 33 HP
  • 25 PTO HP
  • 60" Loader
  • Hydrostatic transmission
  • Original owner. Never serviced
  • ~50 hours on tiller

Suggested sale price on tractor alone (via tractor buy net) is $19,500.  Asking $19,500 for both of them.

https://www.tractorhouse.com/listings/farm-equipment/for-sale/list/category/1100/tractors/manufacturer/new-holland/model/workmaster-33

On 9/6/2020 at 3:59 PM, DougO said:

Do Gators count? I've been kinda looking around for someone local to do some work on an old 4x2, mid 2000s. Always ran like a top, but it needs maintenance, I got a new dash and glove box for it, new seats, needs a new drive belt, the key won't shut off the engine because of a wiring issue somewhere (it's not the switch, I already replaced it), etc.. Finding the wire problem (probably from rats) is the one that is probably the biggest headache, but I don't really have the patience or aptitude to take on all that stuff. I would love to find somebody in the Bell County are to do it for a fair price, but they are hard to find.

If you feel ambitious you could try reading this.

https://tractorpoint.com/forum/john-deere-gator/170780/1/gator-won-t-shut-off.html

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

If you feel ambitious you could try reading this.

https://tractorpoint.com/forum/john-deere-gator/170780/1/gator-won-t-shut-off.html

I have read that before, a few times, actually. Unfortunately, I have been unable to even track the wires in question due to the difficult layout and tight spaces. I'm gonna have to take a bunch of stuff apart.

1 hour ago, DougO said:

I have read that before, a few times, actually. Unfortunately, I have been unable to even track the wires in question due to the difficult layout and tight spaces. I'm gonna have to take a bunch of stuff apart.

Yeah I'm not familiar with Gator layouts at all.  I only looked it up, because I had the same issue on my diesel tractor with it not shutting off with the key - mine turned out to be the fuel shutoff solenoid, so I was curious if yours had one too.  But that was all I found.  Well that and the advice to unbolt, check and retighten all the ground wires to the engine block.

Edited by Judge Roybeanbag
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

Yeah I'm not familiar with Gator layouts at all.  I only looked it up, because I had the same issue on my diesel tractor with it not shutting off with the key - mine turned out to be the fuel shutoff solenoid, so I was curious if yours had one too.  But that was all I found.  Well that and the advice to unbolt, check and retighten all the ground wires to the engine block.

I had the cold start assist thing on my tractor that kept it from starting a few years back. A simple bypass did the trick. The googles and youtubes can be quite useful for that kind of thing.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Bought my Russian APC hauler last weekend,  gonna pick it up Friday.  It’s a 2009 Kubota M6040F 2wd.  55 pto hp and pre-Tier IV so no emission.  It has 2k hrs but looks in great shape.

Been wanting to get one for a while and things kinda came together in the last month.  Got a shredder to go along with it and gonna pick up a set of pallet forks on Friday too.  Got most of the other attachments I need already at the family place but will add a FEL third function and grapple later this year.  Gonna do a full engine/hydraulic oil/filter service first thing and start on a clean slate.

Also got word that out little JD 350c dozer might be finished getting the reverser repaired by Friday too.  Gonna be all kinds of dirt work done in the next couple of months.

• Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, davidg said:

Bought my Russian APC hauler last weekend,  gonna pick it up Friday.  It’s a 2009 Kubota M6040F 2wd.  55 pto hp and pre-Tier IV so no emission.  It has 2k hrs but looks in great shape.

Been wanting to get one for a while and things kinda came together in the last month.  Got a shredder to go along with it and gonna pick up a set of pallet forks on Friday too.  Got most of the other attachments I need already at the family place but will add a FEL third function and grapple later this year.  Gonna do a full engine/hydraulic oil/filter service first thing and start on a clean slate.

Also got word that out little JD 350c dozer might be finished getting the reverser repaired by Friday too.  Gonna be all kinds of dirt work done in the next couple of months.

I’m not sure if anything surprised me as much as the versatility of the set of pallet forks that I bought for my loader tractor. Talk about a back-saver. 

• Hook 'Em 1

22 hours ago, Kennythetiger said:

I’m not sure if anything surprised me as much as the versatility of the set of pallet forks that I bought for my loader tractor. Talk about a back-saver. 

100% this. 

One thing I like is that I can order freight shipments and not have to worry about scheduling a delivery time and asking for a truck with a lift etc etc.

As long as it's a normal size pallet, I can specific "dock pickup" then drive to the freight terminal in my pickup and when I get back to the farm I can just unload it with the pallet forks. A lot more convenient than wasting a whole day waiting for the delivery guy to finally show up. 

On 3/19/2022 at 11:58 AM, davidg said:

You need to get it the official patch

• Hook 'Em 1

• 3 weeks later...

The remaining 18 year old front tire on my Mahindra 3510 finally dry rotted enough to go flat, so this morning I had the pleasure of getting the lug nuts/bolts broken loose with a cheater pipe, then using a 12 ton bottle jack to lift it and block it up so I can put the new one on next week.  It’s a lot of weight to lift with the loader on it.  

Bump. Because it will matter to somebody soon.

If you had told me a year ago it would matter to me today, I’d have laughed. Now, 130 acres needing a fuckton of brush hogging later, and a 2011 kioti CK35 that is finally running again after being under repair for most of the last 8 months, here I am, supplicant to the throne of shaggy implement wisdom

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Big post with lots of pics inbound ...

So the day I got the tractor and mower dropped off at our place and I ran it for a little bit and the mower was vibrating like crazy.  Like shake the tractor and mower apart vibrate.  That's not good.

Tractor1.thumb.jpg.43bd572dc2c91d4cefb84ed3c34725b4.jpg

1707615886_mower.thumb.jpg.d168d2369347b9123bd39e4243a498c4.jpg

Couldn't really dig into it that day as I had some other things to take care of but was able to drop it on top of some wooden posts and crawl under it and check the blades and stump jumper.  Found the pan welds on the stump jumper were completely broken off and the yoke beat big holes were it was welded and it was way off center.  I also noted that one blade was higher than the other.  That seems to be a problem.

mower2.thumb.jpg.62897f434e45faaaee0dbc5496d5a2fa.jpg

I didn't have any tools to pull the stump jumper so I made plans to make it back up the next weekend to figure out what to do.  I priced a new stump jumper and talked to the dealer I bought it from and we agreed he would cover the cost if it was just a new pan.

I talked to a buddy who had to replace a sj on one of his mowers and he gave me some suggestions and loaned me a pulling tool that uses a jack to pull the yoke off of the gearbox spline shaft.  I used the forks to pick up the mower and flip it up against a tree, then strapped it to keep it from falling on me. Oh, hey, that's the little JD350C dozer that's been forever getting fixed.  Works like champ now, just got to replace a bunch of rotted hydraulic hoses.

mower3.thumb.jpg.e23a27f385bbffb0be07158e6114d789.jpg

20V Dewalt grinder and a cutoff wheel made quick work of the pan removal

mower4.thumb.jpg.98ae254b5edab34e79804714546c18ee.jpg

I read a bunch about the pan yoke getting stuck and taking lots of pressure, heat and a good sledgehammer.  20T jack made it easy and the thing popped right off.

mower5.thumb.jpg.e21ed7520f5fde76d5b0dc217ccb5e43.jpg

Not supposed to do this I believe.    Hmm, new gearbox is $1k and new shaft and gear is $800.  Gonna have to try a different approach.

ezgif.com-gif-maker.gif.7c4b1dc7bf8e6f3ffcaeb3f2afb6b847.gif

Put the wobbly POS on the trailer and took it back to the dealer and swapped it for a different unit.   Stepped up to a 3" capacity cutter in a little rougher shape but works great.

mower6.thumb.jpg.427c19b1cd62aa616e16e589cbb3ba99.jpg

That's it for this edition of davidg's tractor chronicles but let see next time if he gets completely soaked in hydraulic fluid after forgetting to tighten one of 14 hoses he's replacing on a small dozer.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, davidg said:

mower6.thumb.jpg.427c19b1cd62aa616e16e589cbb3ba99.jpg

That's it for this edition of davidg's tractor chronicles but let see next time if he gets completely soaked in hydraulic fluid after forgetting to tighten one of 14 hoses he's replacing on a small dozer.

Speaking of jacks - my brush hog was bent in like that on one side from when I let someone borrow it he wedged it against a stump or something.  Last time I used it, one blade was occasionally hitting the inside and sparking.  So I'm going to flip it on its side like you did, then with the jack and a piece of 4x4 bend it back out again, don't be wanting no sparks.   

Also I need to change the gear oil, so I bought a little transfer pump that I can use for other stuff (differentials etc) so I can get the old milky watery stuff out of there and put in new.

53 minutes ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

Speaking of jacks - my brush hog was bent in like that on one side from when I let someone borrow it he wedged it against a stump or something.  Last time I used it, one blade was occasionally hitting the inside and sparking.  So I'm going to flip it on its side like you did, then with the jack and a piece of 4x4 bend it back out again, don't be wanting no sparks.   

Don't know what would be the be way to straighten that out.  If you use a jack, you have to make sure the bent side goes back out  and you are not pushing the currently straight side out.  I might try something like that but I will chain the mower to the dozer blade to keep the straight side from moving.  Mine doesn't rub or anything so I'm gonna leave it like it is for a while and fight some other battles.

6 minutes ago, davidg said:

Don't know what would be the be way to straighten that out.  If you use a jack, you have to make sure the bent side goes back out  and you are not pushing the currently straight side out.  I might try something like that but I will chain the mower to the dozer blade to keep the straight side from moving.  Mine doesn't rub or anything so I'm gonna leave it like it is for a while and fight some other battles.

Put a strong longer board like a 2x6 on the side you don’t want bent, then a connector like a 4x4 then the jack point to the center of the point you do want bent, or add a small cut piece of wood on that end, works like a reverse hydraulic press.  I’ve straightened culvert pipes out, but never a brush hog, so... 

Since I'm late to this thread, another junk tip.  The rear PTO seal on my rig had worn out and was leaking, I bought a new one for a pittance.  Read up all on how about how to remove the old one and what "sealant" and stuff to use on the new one, but goddamn, when I went to put the new one in it kept popping out on the edge where I wasn't putting pressure.  My son, who was probably 16 or so at the time, said "dad, get this piece of 2" pvc over here, slip it over the spline, put a piece of wood on the end and tap it with a rubber hammer" actually he only said the first few words but damned if it didn't work.  Tapped it in perfectly.

8 hours ago, Kennythetiger said:

That little bulldozer looks bad ass. 

I'm sure it's handy as hell out in the sticks, but, as construction equipment goes, it sucks.   We had one when I worked for a grading outfit.  That thing doesn't have enough power to pull a soft dick out of a can of Crisco.  We used it for grooming slopes, and it worked ok for that.  

I was never a fan of Deere stuff for earthmoving.   

But yeah, I bet it's really handy to have for ranch work. 

• Haha 1

On 4/10/2022 at 9:09 PM, Judge Roybeanbag said:

If I were stuck in the field and/or didn’t have a jack I’d do that, but safety first especially if I’m by myself.  

I mean, you lift it up with the loader, block the front end, and then lower the pressure off the loader so it is completely resting on the blocks. Nothing particularly dangerous about that.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

I mean, you lift it up with the loader, block the front end, and then lower the pressure off the loader so it is completely resting on the blocks. Nothing particularly dangerous about that.

Safer than using a bottle jack IMHO.  

I'm sure it's handy as hell out in the sticks, but, as construction equipment goes, it sucks.   We had one when I worked for a grading outfit.  That thing doesn't have enough power to pull a soft dick out of a can of Crisco.  We used it for grooming slopes, and it worked ok for that.  
I was never a fan of Deere stuff for earthmoving.   
But yeah, I bet it's really handy to have for ranch work. 

Yeah the aren’t real powerful, only about 40 hp. My dad bought this one in 87 or 88 with about 800 or so hrs on it and but 600 hrs on it cutting in some soon to be canals along our shallow shoreline of a large lake that was impounded in 1989. He used it around our place on and on a bit for the next 10 years or so until the reverser went out on it. It sat for probably 15 years until I finally found someone that agreed to work on it for me. Paid probably 50% of its worth getting the repairs done but it’s a really tight machine with not many hours on the engine or undercarriage. I’m looking forward to pushing a bunch of cedar we have growing up in some areas.

A bunch of the JD 350s were used for small scale logging and for fire fighting up north. Small size was easy to move around in the woods. I wish this one was set up for a winch but it doesn’t have all the right controls for it.

Here’s my 88yo dad on it last year when I dragged it out in the open where I could winch it up on the trailer.

A41822-C3-2052-4-B30-842-B-63835-C93-D3-CD.jpg
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

Yep, I'd much rather do that than jack it up with a bottle jack or any other type of jack.

You might be right, in this case though I had the battery out of the tractor so couldn't even start it.  Even so my thinking was I only needed to block up one side and it's going to be sitting for a week before I get back out there to put the new tire on and stick the battery back in.  

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

the beer you could drink 

Hard to drink beer and control blade with right hand and then steering, reverser with left hand and clutch/brakes with feet.  I feel like a drummer playing some of Frank Zappa’s stuff.  Hands all over the place.

Spent last weekend changing out the hydraulic hoses.  Somehow got one an inch too short and had to get a couple of fittings to stretch the hose.  Cleaned out the hydraulic tank real good and put new filters on it.  Spilled old hydraulic oil all over the place as expected when pouring up into a drum.   Next trip up I’ll drain the fuel tank and flush it, change fuel filters, and change the engine oil and filter.  Except for greasing the idler wheels and track idlers and adjusting track tension that will have a full service on the dozer.  Just in time to be hot as hell when trying to use it to push some brush.

Had some cows come by on Friday while ai was taking a break and had my dad supervising on Saturday.

7E4C4DEA-1F26-4001-8F27-BD28A4FEE2A0.jpeg

C201260B-5BA3-4C9C-895C-47115ACB1302.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Since we don't have a bulldozers, excavators and such thread I will keep repositing pictures here whenever it strikes my fancy. Plus I bought a Kubota last week to replace a Massey that some drunk totalled so I have pondered tractors lately.

I thought maybe I should offer the guy who started the thread about digging a hole a hand.

IMG-20220503-144519126-HDR.jpg

IMG-20220503-144354261.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1