Let's Talk Tractors , Implements and Such

cabowabo

So my brothers and I (or is it me?) are taking delivery of our first tractor on Monday. It's a Kubota MX5800HST with a 7 foot rotary cutter. Also have a turbosaw standing by to fuck some shit up.

Anyone here a tractor fanatic? Any tips for new owners to keep us from breaking the tractor or losing an appendage? We're mainly gonna be mowing areas and taking down reasonably sized mesquite trees. I have watched a lot of YouTube videos that have been helpful (big shoutout to my boy Neil Messick at Messick's....a real helping hand with your land). Did the dealer orientation yesterday, and it seems like a retard like me can operate one of these.

Looking forward the some frank discussion here on tractors. Also, free to discuss other heavy equipment. Late.

d996680870afa86471d1efa832d9fe37.jpgd05b8dc73e7182010cdc616b19631314.jpg

• Like 2

Nice. What were your thoughts on selecting that model?

I've been window shopping a bit myself. I was thinking 5800 first but after looking a bit think I'd spend the extra money to move up to the M6060 or even the M7060.

I would get a FEL with 3rd function, 6' HD brush hog, and a grapple right off the bat. And shop for a used 12' batwing later on.

Also, who did you buy it from? I've got verbal quote from 3 different dealers and they have all been with $1500 on what I would want.

3 hours ago, cabowabo said:

So my brothers and I (or is it me?) are taking delivery of our first tractor on Monday. It's a Kubota MX5800HST with a 7 foot rotary cutter. Also have a turbosaw standing by to fuck some shit up.

Anyone here a tractor fanatic? Any tips for new owners to keep us from breaking the tractor or losing an appendage? We're mainly gonna be mowing areas and taking down reasonably sized mesquite trees. I have watched a lot of YouTube videos that have been helpful (big shoutout to my boy Neil Messick at Messick's....a real helping hand with your land). Did the dealer orientation yesterday, and it seems like a retard like me can operate one of these.

Looking forward the some frank discussion here on tractors. Also, free to discuss other heavy equipment. Late.

d996680870afa86471d1efa832d9fe37.jpgd05b8dc73e7182010cdc616b19631314.jpg

That's the Kubota I have, works great, after I had them work on it twice in the first year.

11 hours ago, thestud said:

I’ve had more trouble with the 2014 MX5200 than I’ve ever had with the 1979 JD 4440 that we bought from my granddad before he passed in 1996. When it runs it works great for what we bought it for, but it feels like it’s been in the shop more than it’s been working.

The 4440 is one of the best tractors ever built. They dont make em like that anymore.

6 hours ago, thestud said:

Yes it is. We overhauled the cab, replaced the AC system and upgraded the radio but other than that the only issue is the remotes leak a bit. It’s a damned beast and I plan on keeping it until the apocalypse. The Kubota is a hoss. I have no problem picking up two 1100lb round bales at a time and tooling around

Wow, that's pretty good for that size tractor. Do you have weights on the Kubota? or do you pick them up front and back?

Cabo, I’m sure you know this, but just in case not, if you cut mesquites with the saw, you’ll need to spray the stump with Remedy or something similar to kill the stump or it comes back as a pissed off bush.

I put in my food plots today with my get-r-dun all-in-one setup.

df4ef9807c565e7321735a5f4ddf8d6b.jpg

• Like 2

11 hours ago, 686 said:

Cabo, I’m sure you know this, but just in case not, if you cut mesquites with the saw, you’ll need to spray the stump with Remedy or something similar to kill the stump or it comes back as a pissed off bush.

I put in my food plots today with my get-r-dun all-in-one setup.

df4ef9807c565e7321735a5f4ddf8d6b.jpg

Yep.  You don't nuke the stumps it just makes it worse.  We have a couple of backpack sprayers that make it a little more manageable, but it's still as big PITA and a never-ending cycle.  

34 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Yep.  You don't nuke the stumps it just makes it worse.  We have a couple of backpack sprayers that make it a little more manageable, but it's still as big PITA and a never-ending cycle.  

Any brand rec's on a backpack sprayer that will survive remedy/diesel?    Been using a 2 gal hand sprayer and am tired of lugging that thing around.

1. Implements are never as easy to attach as the videos say they are. 

2. Use grease on the PTO shaft when connecting stuff to it, makes it easy to get off later. 

3. Learn where your nearest hydraulic repair shop is, they will be a lifesaver when you need to replace hydraulic fittings & hoses. 

4. Be smart but don’t worry about damaging them. Tractors are tools & are made to get dinged. 

6. If you’ve a shade or top, make sure you look out for low limbs...

14 minutes ago, davidg said:

Any brand rec's on a backpack sprayer that will survive remedy/diesel?    Been using a 2 gal hand sprayer and am tired of lugging that thing around.

Oh, man.  Sorry.  No, it's been so long I don't remember.  Tractor Supply in Coleman.  That's all I got.  

I can say the best "plan", if you want to call it that is to prioritize and execute.  We've been systematically attacking small pockets of mesquite one trip at a time.  There are some many pockets of growth that it can seem like you're trying to boil the ocean.  So instead, we just pick out a single acre or 1/2 acre and that's it.  Or the dam around a stock tank.  No more, no less. 

We used chain saws for years and a group of friends (or solo...which sucks).  One would cut, then we'd have a guy or two with s-shaped meat hooks tied to a big piece of rope.  Hook a branch and they're dragging the cut trees off while another sprays the base.  

Edited by BabaYaga

I bought an L4701 back in August and had a hell of a time at first with hydraulic leaks in the rear remotes that I had added. It ended up going back to the dealer twice for about a week each time, but the problem finally seems to have been resolved. 

That said, the machine is great and I love all the work I can do with my new toys. 6 foot cutter is great, as is the grapple. I use the forks a lot, too. 

Have a PTO woodchipper on order and it can't get here soon enough so I can start dealing with all of the brush piles I've been building. 

JMG%20New%20TRactor.JPG

• Like 3

Damn, this thread makes me miss my tractor.

I bought a 1960 Ford 35hp tractor from the family we bought our place from.  It had been totally, immaculately taken care of, repainted to show room condition and was a beast for it's size.  This was the only propane powered tractor I had ever owned and that thing would run forever on a tank.   Cleanest burning engine I've ever owned.  Sometimes I felt foolish changing the oil due to the fact that even at scheduled  service intervals, the oil was still perfectly clean.

28 minutes ago, SHOOTER12 said:

Damn, this thread makes me miss my tractor.

I bought a 1960 Ford 35hp tractor from the family we bought our place from.  It had been totally, immaculately taken care of, repainted to show room condition and was a beast for it's size.  This was the only propane powered tractor I had ever owned and that thing would run forever on a tank.   Cleanest burning engine I've ever owned.  Sometimes I felt foolish changing the oil due to the fact that even at scheduled  service intervals, the oil was still perfectly clean.

I actually still have a 1972 Ford 3200.

• Like 1

Took delivery of the new toy just as the cold front was coming in.  I did have a chance to deploy the brush hog and take out some mesquite bushes before the rains came.  Pretty damn fun....maybe the most fun you can have with your pants on.  And yeah, we're gonna have to hit it with diesel and remedy at some point (not fun).

Edited by cabowabo
  • Like 2

32 minutes ago, cabowabo said:

Took delivery of the new toy just as the cold front was coming in.  I did have a chance to deploy the brush hog and take out some mesquite bushes before the rains came.  Pretty damn fun....maybe the most fun you can have with your pants on.  And yeah, we're gonna have to hit it with diesel and remedy at some point (not fun).

Any larger Mesquite bushes that can be put into chunks you can ship to me bro.

Or if it ain't too far hell I'll come and get it. Love my Mesquite smoke Q

7 minutes ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

We've got a late 60's Ford 3000 that still gets occasional use.

Indestructible. Mine actually runs full time, mostly as a broom tractor, but some bush hogging as well. Also have an early 90s Massey Ferguson, but that thing is a piece of shit. Not even sure what model.

Had a Ford 3000 as well but gave it to one of our guys as a retirement present about 15 years ago.

If our primary concern was tractor work we would definitely have some new stuff. I keep threatening to get our landscape gang a new tractor,  maybe next year. The guy I have that heads it came up under the guy who we gave the old Ford to years ago actually. 

But as I said, it's mostly just used as a broom, with some Bush hog thrown in. Even now we use the self propelled sweepers you can tow behind a pickup, so the tractors are becoming obsolete. And skid steers do everything else.

12 minutes ago, Errestaurants said:

Those old rigs were heavy too. Didnt need 4wd. Just get into low gear.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

When my grandfather bought it he had a belly pan made out of probably half inch steel plate added to it along with a heavy bumper to help keep the front end down. So it's definitely a heavy beast.

• Like 1

We’re using an Air Tractor for most of the mesquite but we can’t do that until next spring at the earliest. We’ll use the Turbo Saw for senderos and other brush sculpting.

10 hours ago, Errestaurants said:

Always neat to see all the different colors. Blue, orange, green and red. What made you guys choose the manufacture you ended up going with? Price? Legacy? Dealer?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

For me, price.  I have the 33 HP Workmaster + loader, and was able to get it for $19,500 at 0% for 60 mos.  Deere, Kubota, Mahindra all came out around $22,000ish for their 25 HP models.  Massey was cheaper on the sticker for their 25 HP model, but their financing was terrible, and put the tractor right back up to $22,000 with the rest of them.  Mahindra had the best lift capacity, front and back.  But the work master has been pretty good for everything I've needed it for so far.  We'll see how she does in the frigid NW Ohio temps this winter.

• Like 2

I have a quick hitch but it tended to be a big PITA in its own right, and half of my implements wouldn't work with it, so I quit using it. Basically I was taking the QH on and off just as often as the other stuff. 

It's still annoying to have to climb on and off several times to inch the wheels forward to line up the holes, but I'm getting better at it.

• Like 1

For spraying the mesquites, if you have an ATV you should spring for one of these. Necessity in my opinion. Also great for spraying fence lines.
26812101_2000x2000.jpg
https://www.amazon.com/NorthStar-ATV-Broadcast-Spot-Sprayer/dp/B008YE3UOW

That’s what we use; works great to drive around spraying prickly pear, and if you’re burning brush, load the sprayer up with plain water and it works well to put out any stray grass fires.
  • Like 1

You guys using Remedy need to get a mesquite root cutter. We used to have one but it disappeared around the time my Dad died. It's a 3-point attachment with 2 arms and a cutting edge. Goes 2 - 3 ft deep and cuts the tap root. Tree dead and does not spread. No chemicals needed.

grubber.jpg

11 hours ago, ernest_t_bass said:

This thread needs more talk.  

I'm not an every day farmer, so I don't use the tractor as much as I want.  But I take advantage of any use I can get, be it hauling, moving, landscaping, tilling.  Tilled up our paddock today, just to get the machine out.

Launch/recover your boat...

130_3059.jpg

Speaking of dozers,  anyone got source for an equipment mechanic that has experience working on a JD 350C dozer?    

This is my dads old dozer, a 1977 350C, 6 way blade, with 1350 hrs that has sat 10 years with engine periodically run. Last time dozer ran, dozer stopped moving in F and would only move with reverser in R.   Engine starts and runs good, hyd system is good except for a few hoses, has new sprockets and pins and bushings. Rest of U/C looks good and no cracks in frame or supports. Could use a little paint and new seat but mechanically in pretty good shape.

I started messing with it recently and it looks like one of the reverser clutches has seized up.    Its a great little machine for brush clearing and light dirt work and I would like to get it back up running.  Its about an hour south of Dallas.

JD350C.jpg

Just now, davidg said:

Speaking of dozers,  anyone got source for an equipment mechanic that has experience working on a JD 350C dozer?    

This is my dads old dozer, a 1977 350C, 6 way blade, with 1350 hrs that has sat 10 years with engine periodically run. Last time dozer ran, dozer stopped moving in F and would only move with reverser in R.   Engine starts and runs good, hyd system is good except for a few hoses, has new sprockets and pins and bushings. Rest of U/C looks good and no cracks in frame or supports. Could use a little paint and new seat but mechanically in pretty good shape.

I started messing with it recently and it looks like one of the reverser clutches has seized up.    Its a great little machine for brush clearing and light dirt work and I would like to get it back up running.  Its about an hour south of Dallas.

JD350C.jpg

I've got three mechanics on staff, but unfortunately they are here in Virginia.