Let's Talk Tractors , Implements and Such

cabowabo

Nothing like crawling under a D6 on an oil field location with a few five gallon buckets to change the oil. If you are lucky you will get there before they get running and it won't be too hot. Or maybe the track hoe will dig a hole for the dozer so you will have a bit more room under there. This was my first summer in college.

13 hours ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

Nothing like crawling under a D6 on an oil field location with a few five gallon buckets to change the oil. If you are lucky you will get there before they get running and it won't be too hot. Or maybe the track hoe will dig a hole for the dozer so you will have a bit more room under there. This was my first summer in college.

We once had this mechanic (briefly) who tried to change the oil in a D5 literally as soon as it stopped moving. Dude did like ten laps around the machine screaming after the oil hit him.

10 hours ago, Spaulding Smails said:

@davidg call RDO Equipment in Irving.  They're the Deere dealer for the Dallas area.  They probably won't work on it, but they'll be a good source for a local mechanic who may take a look for you.

They 100% should work on it. If not I'd call Deere and raise hell.

On October 20, 2018 at 7:56 AM, G650 said:

We once had this mechanic (briefly) who tried to change the oil in a D5 literally as soon as it stopped moving. Dude did like ten laps around the machine screaming after the oil hit him.

They 100% should work on it. If not I'd call Deere and raise hell.

Good to know.  Had no idea if dealers had a cut-off on age of machine that they would work on or if they had the flexibility to decline work on older machines.

Grapple bucket is a life saver for Hurricane Michael clean up. We have hardwoods laid down everywhere at the deer lease. Running a 48hp Kubota. 4700 I think is the model number.

Two guys run saws and cut everything to about 8-10' then the tractor makes quick work of getting the pieces out to the road for FEMA pickup.

Our crew could do this routine for months at the deer lease and still have work to do. Here's the only Pic that I could dig out of my phone. This is us loading up a few years ago to put in food plots. 9c0cafd7d14a4dd55526a78c99370273.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

On 10/18/2018 at 9:51 PM, davidg said:

Seems like that would take more horsepower that the compact and small utility tractors that everyone has posted. I don't see a HP requirement on the mfr website

On 10/19/2018 at 7:12 AM, Lat22 said:

Yeah, I’m not sure our 58 hp tractor could drag that root plow. 

There is a limit on how big of a root it will cut depending on the size of the tractor, but 4 inch tree was no problem for our 35hp Massey 235. It pulls easily and doesn't have hardly any drag until you hit the root. Hit it in 2nd high range and keep on trucking. Wish I knew where that thing wandered off to.

On 11/1/2018 at 11:51 AM, davidg said:

OP,

Have you used that tractor saw yet?  I read a bit more and watched a few more videos and think that would be just the ticket for some additional clearing on our place where I don't want to bugger up the ground with a dozer.

I'll have to defer to my tractor partner/brother Cosimo de' Medici.  He's logged quite a bit of time whacking mesquites and other invasive vegetation.  I hope to log some time this weekend.

On 10/24/2018 at 7:49 PM, davidg said:

How deep would you cut? We have an old MF 230 that you had to run in low range 2nd gear to pull a single shank subsoiler about 18" deep. Seems like that would take more HP to pull that horizontal blade deep enough to kill the root

18 -24" or so. It wasn't very hard to pull because you weren't turning the soil like a plow. You only lower it for a few feet as you cross the tree and cut the root, then pick it back up. Keep your momentum up.

• 2 weeks later...

Brand new Kubota at the deer lease.

This grapple attachment is a pure game changer when it comes to moving downed trees. Conservative estimate: I saw this thing move 50 tons of hardwood out of logging roads this week. Still cleaning out roads following Hurricane Michael. Then, when we break-through to the food plots, it just starts disking them up.

Hard to even articulate how much this machine saves chainsaw chains and guys' backs. I am happy to run the saw or spread 10-10-10 / seed around it. (My buddies don't let me drive her). b3ac78a67a2de68515a6b032815bbd3f.jpg

• Like 5

Also this POS spreader from TS failed on us the second time out. Weld busted right where the tongue connects. Do not purchase.

GroundWork Tow-Behind Spreader with Rain Cover, 200 lb. Capacity at Tractor Supply Co.
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/groundwork-tow-behind-spreader-wrain-cover-200-lb-capacity

• 1 month later...

Looking to plant a little food plot (2-3 AC.) for dove hunting this year south of Austin. Never planted anything more than a few tomatoes and jalapeños in my home garden.  Thinking of trying Sesame as the deer might not eat much of it. Have a tractor and plow, but no real seeder, any way I can get things seeded without some kind of seeder/drill/whatever? Any help is appreciated.

Put a bunch of kids in the back of your pickup.  Give them each $5 and buy them all pizza for throwing the seed out as you drive around the food plot.

I wouldn't recommend buying a seeder just for this plot.  See if you can rent/borrow one from a friend, or contact your local USDA conservation office.  Ours has a small drill that it rents very cheaply.

• Like 1

Along the same lines, I've considered tilling up part of my pasture and starting fresh.  It has a lot of weeds in it, and I'd like to start over with thick grass and alfalfa.  Is it necessary to plant these with a planter, or would a grass seed spreader work fine?

Size is about 1-1.5 acre.

Edited by ernest_t_bass

5 hours ago, Kennythetiger said:

Put a bunch of kids in the back of your pickup.  Give them each $5 and buy them all pizza for throwing the seed out as you drive around the food plot.

I wouldn't recommend buying a seeder just for this plot.  See if you can rent/borrow one from a friend, or contact your local USDA conservation office.  Ours has a small drill that it rents very cheaply.

My friends dad drank alot, as in never without an Old Milwaukee in his hand.  When I was about 12, I went to their deer lease and help spread seed for a food plot by hand over about  half an acre.  Ikey was pretty well lit by the time we were  done spreading the seed and we rode in the back of his El Camino while he did donuts to cover up the seed.   I can hear the sound of  a mildly hotrodded Chevy 350 resonating through glasspacks and Ikey hollering out  "One of you boys hand Ikey another beer"  like it was yesterday. 

• Like 7

On 1/3/2019 at 1:50 PM, ernest_t_bass said:

Along the same lines, I've considered tilling up part of my pasture and starting fresh.  It has a lot of weeds in it, and I'd like to start over with thick grass and alfalfa.  Is it necessary to plant these with a planter, or would a grass seed spreader work fine?

Size is about 1-1.5 acre.

Would be better if you could disc it first to break up the ground a little bit. I'm going to be planting some clover next week on my 16 acres and the first thing I'm going to do is drag my disc harrow around.  

Ultimately it depends on what you mean by "planter". A seed drill would definitely work but those are expensive, especially just for one pasture. 

But I think just spreading seeds without doing anything to the ground won't work as well as you'd like, especially if it's already covered with vegetation. 

On 1/3/2019 at 7:59 AM, fluff said:

Looking to plant a little food plot (2-3 AC.) for dove hunting this year south of Austin. Never planted anything more than a few tomatoes and jalapeños in my home garden.  Thinking of trying Sesame as the deer might not eat much of it. Have a tractor and plow, but no real seeder, any way I can get things seeded without some kind of seeder/drill/whatever? Any help is appreciated.

for that little bit of area you can definitely just disc it real good. I would make sure you mow what ever grass you have as low as possible then disc several times. get you a big spreader from atwoods if you dont have one already.  i would do all this when you know rain is coming. i would mix in some fertilizer in it like triple 13 or whatever.

39500151_10217368109137237_8058198399301

39468321_10217368106657175_8768249578156

39507337_10217368108337217_6001933281073

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I have 40 acres that needs to be cleaned up. Lots of downed limbs, trees, etc that I want to clear. 

As of now I am thinking of getting a BX42 for my Kubota, but I am just repeating what I have read. I would like to hear from someone who has used this or similar attachments and can share their experience. Especially the safety side.