For all of yall complaining about the LHN:

GreenspointTexas

11 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

PlayStation Vue is going away Jan 30th, 2020

Repost:   So assuming you have ESPN access with your TV streaming service (DirectTVNow, SlingTV, YouTubeTVdoes anyone know if the ESPN App sign-in is  also available to watch LHN games ??

8 hours ago, Bill Lumbergh said:

Direct TV now has LHN on the service.  Sling and YouTube tv do not.
If it's not on your streaming service, logging on and streaming on the ESPN app will not work.  This is the first year I've had no cable during the season, I researched and tested all of these options.

Great info @Bill Lumbergh  

Edited by LTtxfan

I doubt the LHN is making any money for ESPN. At least half of the "commercials" aren't paid ads, but Earl grilling hot dogs or Ricky reading poetry. Those are fillers, not ads. Maybe the network survives in some fashion, but I can't see ESPN continuing to ride that pony. I'll miss it. It's my go-to when I'm bored. Watching us beat Arkansas 15-14 in 1969.for the hundredth time still doesn't get old.

• Like 3

I too used PSVue for my cable replacement. At the time, it was very cost competitive and had the best lineup. It was easy to use across a wide variety of devices.

The fact that it also had LHN was a major bonus.

Now, obviously I'll be shopping for the best of breed replacement. However, the ability to get the LHN won't be a determining factor. It's a great time filler, but not exactly useful for much. By tying it to a cable provider, options are greatly limited. Frankly, those "providers" are really lousy. Having LHN available with an ESPN+ subscription would likely entice me to keep it, or even available with Disney+.

Considering their cost challenges within ABC/Disney in particular and the broader trend on packaged TV in general, ESPN really needs to decide how much they want to support LHN. It either needs to be licensed to the broadest possible carrier set (and have pricing reduced commensurately), or let it die and fold the Texas content into the ESPN+ agreement that supports the rest of the Big 12.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Thiefery said:

This is why I haven't cut the cord yet..  I have verizon fios, and the ultimate package comes with LHN (only SD unfortunately). However I'm able to use my ESPN access (or it could be ESPN plus since I subscribe to that too) to stream LHN in HD on my PS4.  I'm still waiting for a service to have LHN, all sports packages and a decent channel lineup so I can cut the cord too. Seemed like I was going to get a la carte to death if I cut it

Agreed. I continue to pay $200 a month for DirecTV so that I can turn on the damn TV and not have to switch between 3 different streaming providers. Worth whatever savings I am forgoing as TV and live sports is by far and away my most important form of entertainment. What is bullshit is the ESPN+ garbage that they trotted out this year. Like Hulu, which I will NEVER pay for, I will not spend a dime on ESPN+. If I am paying all this money for ESPN on a traditional carrier, I should be able to watch ESPN+ for free.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

Agreed. I continue to pay $200 a month for DirecTV so that I can turn on the damn TV and not have to switch between 3 different streaming providers. Worth whatever savings I am forgoing as TV and live sports is by far and away my most important form of entertainment. What is bullshit is the ESPN+ garbage that they trotted out this year. Like Hulu, which I will NEVER pay for, I will not spend a dime on ESPN+. If I am paying all this money for ESPN on a traditional carrier, I should be able to watch ESPN+ for free.

I'm a boxing head so ESPN plus is a must.. and it's actually pretty nice tbh.  They have a huge archive of fights, and the shows are pretty well produced/directed.

As far as the LHN network.  I have a feeling that it will be featured strictly on ESPN plus along with the rest of the Big 12 in the near future.  There is a kickback jack's sports bar not too far from me, and I was surprised to see them showing a Hampton football game that was exclusively on ESPN plus.  If bars are showing games off an app, not a cable/satellite provided one.. then the Big12/LHN could be on to something quicker than the rest of the conferences.  Not sure how it all exactly works, but they should save money on whatever percentages providers take and be able to take all the advertising money with an app, no?

$60 a year sounds like a steal to have all your ESPN channels/content available through an app on your phone, smart TV or consoles, no?

42 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

I'm a boxing head so ESPN plus is a must.. and it's actually pretty nice tbh.  They have a huge archive of fights, and the shows are pretty well produced/directed.

As far as the LHN network.  I have a feeling that it will be featured strictly on ESPN plus along with the rest of the Big 12 in the near future.  There is a kickback jack's sports bar not too far from me, and I was surprised to see them showing a Hampton football game that was exclusively on ESPN plus.  If bars are showing games off an app, not a cable/satellite provided one.. then the Big12/LHN could be on to something quicker than the rest of the conferences.  Not sure how it all exactly works, but they should save money on whatever percentages providers take and be able to take all the advertising money with an app, no?

$60 a year sounds like a steal to have all your ESPN channels/content available through an app on your phone, smart TV or consoles, no?

The KState-Okie State game was the first football game on ESPN+ that I have ever wanted to watch. I understand the appeal for those into UFC and boxing but I am just into the big 3 sports and paying an additional $5 a month is annoying and where I draw the line like with Hulu. I found an illegal stream and will do the same in the future if I want to watch a game on ESPN+. I shouldn't have to do that to watch Big XII game with what I am paying to DirecTV. Another example of how stupid this conference can be.

The Missy Elliott repeated rap tune EVERY dead-ball break during a game has reached the Baby Shark level of blood boiling... It's unfortunate, she's not bad, but LHN has done a great job conditioning a break something response every time I hear her now.  The lack of content/creativity/motivation/whatever at LHN has turned poor Missy into a pariah to the ears. 

Can we send Lowell with that Missy song to someplace like UTEP, Lamar University or Sul Ross to be their Dave South?

10 minutes ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

The KState-Okie State game was the first football game on ESPN+ that I have ever wanted to watch. I understand the appeal for those into UFC and boxing but I am just into the big 3 sports and paying an additional $5 a month is annoying and where I draw the line like with Hulu. I found an illegal stream and will do the same in the future if I want to watch a game on ESPN+. I shouldn't have to do that to watch Big XII game with what I am paying to DirecTV. Another example of how stupid this conference can be.

I get that, but you really aren't missing much if it comes down to one game a week, normally not a huge one in the Big 12.  I'm hoping that the next step is a way where the apps have a built in DVR quality feature so you can flip between games without a huge pause for loading and be able to pick up where you left off. 

Isn't the $60/year just for espn+ ? I haven't dug into it too much but I thought espn+ subscription just got espn+ content and not all of espn?

My bitch about streaming is that I like switching over at commercials and halftimes to check in on other games. It's been a huge PITA in my limited streaming expierence doing that....
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, JMFP said:

Isn't the $60/year just for espn+ ? I haven't dug into it too much but I thought espn+ subscription just got espn+ content and not all of espn?

My bitch about streaming is that I like switching over at commercials and halftimes to check in on other games. It's been a huge PITA in my limited streaming expierence doing that....

you are correct, I was just thinking ESPN plus.  I'm hoping down the rd, the Disney App will include ESPN/ESPN plus.  I too have similar frustrations with going back n forth using streaming services.  However as of now.. I have cable so I can jump back and forth.. and if something else is on, streaming only (like the canelo fight on DAZN this coming sat) I just hit my aux button and have it already streaming through my ps4 console.  DAZN is great since it lets you pause, rewind, or FFWD

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VinyVango said:

The Missy Elliott repeated rap tune EVERY dead-ball break during a game has reached the Baby Shark level of blood boiling... It's unfortunate, she's not bad, but LHN has done a great job conditioning a break something response every time I hear her now.  The lack of content/creativity/motivation/whatever at LHN has turned poor Missy into a pariah to the ears. 

It's very clear that LHN is a content wasteland. No advertisers want to buy ads, there's no talent left on LHN to produce new shows, and UT (major) athletics are ass. And the production quality for live broadcasts has hit new lows each week. I'm ready to be done with LHN, it was fun to piss aggy off, but goddamn what a shitshow.

3 minutes ago, Captainant said:

It's very clear that LHN is a content wasteland. No advertisers want to buy ads, there's no talent left on LHN to produce new shows, and UT (major) athletics are ass. And the production quality for live broadcasts has hit new lows each week. I'm ready to be done with LHN, it was fun to piss aggy off, but goddamn what a shitshow.

They need to let the RTF get more content on there, get some campus activities on there, and use it to showcase different talents.  What is the hold-up for putting high school sports on there as well? If reality TV shows are a thing still, then let the RTF create one on campus.   Have a sorority shower cam or something.  

38 minutes ago, Nivek said:

They need to let the RTF get more content on there, get some campus activities on there, and use it to showcase different talents.  What is the hold-up for putting high school sports on there as well? If reality TV shows are a thing still, then let the RTF create one on campus.   Have a sorority shower cam or something.  

Wasn't the issue with high school sports related to NCAA rules (for what they are worth) or something like that?  

Also I think the UIL is pretty much tied to the hips with Fox Sports SW with alot of the high school coverage and have been for years now. The only high school football you see on ESPN from Texas when they show games are pretty much at the beginning of the season and on Thursday nights.  Which is another thing the UIL discourages without permission is broadcasting of regular season Friday night games.   My local high school had to move a game to Thursday night last year in order for one of the TV stations to do a broadcast. 

8 hours ago, BornOrange1955 said:

I doubt the LHN is making any money for ESPN. At least half of the "commercials" aren't paid ads, but Earl grilling hot dogs or Ricky reading poetry. Those are fillers, not ads. Maybe the network survives in some fashion, but I can't see ESPN continuing to ride that pony. I'll miss it. It's my go-to when I'm bored. Watching us beat Arkansas 15-14 in 1969.for the hundredth time still doesn't get old.

That's what makes "due to time considerations, we'll move along further in the action" during baseball replays so fucking ridiculous.  Then it cuts to the guy who invented gatorade being a longhorn legend.

Unless the LHN people just need practice butchering up content...

1 hour ago, B00M said:

I've always kinda hated PSVue, but I really love seeing Texas baseball home games on LHN.  

How is the AT&T TV NOW? Looks like the Xtra package ($75/mo) has LHN. 

I carried PSVue for LHN only (Texas baseball only)  Would use it some for NFL Red Zone during the season.

Do we know that us folks who don't live near Austin can use AT&T TV Now to get LHN?   It says that it's a regional sports channel.