2024 Solar Eclipse - never too early to get ready

Wally Fairway

54 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

so the perhaps the best idea to reserve a place to stay west of the center line and drive east the day of? I also figure that people will be lazy by going to a spot nearest to them. It might be good to go southwest. What's del rio like?

Moving east toward the center line will be WAY better than moving west. Most people will not plan ahead. Half of Austin will wake up that morning and try to drive to Llano or Fredericksburg or Lampasas. Half of San Antonio will wake up that morning and try to drive to Kerrville or Uvalde. And oh yeah, half of Houston will be doing the same thing.

Bernard

F645851F-7E12-4090-8BAF-117DC15A9163.jpeg

On 4/29/2022 at 11:41 PM, MrBig said:

Is there a major difference from 98% to 100%? What about 99 to 100%? Serious question here. My father in law is near China Grove in SA and I don’t want to hear his bitching for the rest of his life if it’s going to be a noticeable difference. 

On 4/30/2022 at 3:45 PM, MrBig said:

I’m in 99.999% totality. Right on the line for the totality border boundary. If I drove down to the community mailbox I would be in the 100% zone. Does it make a difference moving about 400 yards to see it? I know this question sounds so incredibly stupid but I’m preparing myself for all the stupid questions my family will be asking me because I mentioned this eclipse to them a decade ago and now they think I’m part of NASA. 

The difference between 99% and 100% is the difference between an amazing phenomenon and something you might not notice if you weren't otherwise aware of it.  The sun is very powerful.  If you get 98%, it will still be light out. 100% is darkness during the day, which is the real cool part.  You really do want to be in the path of totality.

During the Kansas one, I also recall seeing this red glow on the horizon 360 degrees as well.  Similar to a sunrise but not quite.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Jersey Man10 said:

My house is 2.8 miles from the blue line. Should I make the drive?

pretty sure the interactive link (on page 1---) you have once the thread refreshed in 2022 allows you to literally see what the totality number in your area is.

2.8 miles probably represents no more than about 3 seconds of totality being missed....  you will still get something like 4 mins 22 seconds of totality.   you are in a great spot, no need to leave.

hell you could probably rent an extra room in your house that day for $2000

In my case, I am in the red zone, but only just, so i get like 2 mins of totality.  I probably will consider renting a place west of the totality line, and then drive east to the middle avoiding the other 900 million people doing the same drive, but from Austin/SA/Temple/Waco and all parts east of 35

Edited by AUS-97HORN
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 4/30/2022 at 10:10 PM, Pato del Muerto said:

Riverton?

definitely in that area... I think I slept in the rental care in a park in Riverton (all hotels were booked) before heading out to search for a great vantage point the next morning... I randomly found a group of Italian eclipse chasers who were super cool camped on said plateau (they'd not missed a total eclipse in decades).

On 4/30/2022 at 3:45 PM, MrBig said:

I’m in 99.999% totality. Right on the line for the totality border boundary. If I drove down to the community mailbox I would be in the 100% zone. Does it make a difference moving about 400 yards to see it? I know this question sounds so incredibly stupid but I’m preparing myself for all the stupid questions my family will be asking me because I mentioned this eclipse to them a decade ago and now they think I’m part of NASA. 

Moving that 400 yds will give you a few seconds of totality, which wouldn't be enough for me.  It's better than the 99.9999% thing, which will be kind of a cool event but after it is over you'll be thinking what was the big deal...

This is a relatively long eclipse and probably the best one to visit Texas in our lifetimes.  IMHO you want to be somewhere towards the middle of the track to get the most time in totality.  You don't have to be right in the middle but you want to get 3 or more minutes to check it out.

Somewhere between a year and six months out, stock up on "eclipse sunglasses" or welders glass or whatever makes you feel safe.  If you buy too early, the material will degrade.  If you wait too late, glasses will sell out.   If you stick with the 99.99999% plan, you'll need eye protection to see anything.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

eclipse simulator by location: https://eclipse2024.org/eclipse-simulator/2024/index.html

Pick the place where you think you'll be and you can see what it's going to be like.  You have to use the time sliders on the sim to get to the good part.  Turn on the glare to get a more realistic picture of what you will see without eclipse glasses.  The glasses will cut out most of the glare.

It won't get as dark as the simulation shows, more of a twilight feel.  

Edited by Texas Jeff
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

• 9 months later...
On 4/29/2022 at 12:56 PM, Wulaw Horn said:

Looks like it's going to miss Houston.  Guess I will wait around for another crack it next decade.  

On a serious question- what's so cool about it?

Just over a year until the next total eclipse bump

Almost everyone I know that has been in a total eclipse says it is great - going into then out of darkness, and the temperature change, and a coolness factor. 
xkcd has chart to explain it

eclipse_review.png

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

I was on top of a bluff in the Sawtooth Mountains near Stanley, ID. It was one of the wildest things I've ever done. Somehow a man all the way from Japan found the same exact place, a few others too.

Everything gets eerie and quiet, the shadow races across the mountains and the valley. I'm sure it's highly weather dependent. You can make all of these plans and it be a rainy or overcast day.

I didn't attempt to photograph or record the event.

Mind_Blown_Panoramic.jpg

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, JohnnyRage said:

I was on top of a bluff in the Sawtooth Mountains near Stanley, ID. It was one of the wildest things I've ever done. Somehow a man all the way from Japan found the same exact place, a few others too.

Everything gets eerie and quiet, the shadow races across the mountains and the valley. I'm sure it's highly weather dependent. You can make all of these plans and it be a rainy or overcast day.

I didn't attempt to photograph or record the event.

Mind_Blown_Panoramic.jpg

Oh shit. So I had been planning on coming back to Texas and heading to Dripping Springs (my folk’s house) to watch this. But just over a year ago we picked up a mountain house in Waterford, Vermont and they are also in the path of totality!

Given this information I do have some things to consider now …

9 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

Oh shit. So I had been planning on coming back to Texas and heading to Dripping Springs (my folk’s house) to watch this. But just over a year ago we picked up a mountain house in Waterford, Vermont and they are also in the path of totality!

Is the key under the mat?

1 hour ago, Captain Ron said:

Humblebrag strong to very strong.

• 1 month later...

shit, thanks for thread bump.  I need to book a campsite out in the hill country (I've been rather impressed with the LCRA parks when we can't get State Park spots-drought notwithstanding).    worst case we just day trip it but I think staying the night before would be cool and they can skip school on Monday, and head back home that evening.  

There's also part of me that wants to stand on my roof and stare right at the fucking thing with no eye protection whatsoever like a fucking boss.  But yeah, maintaining vision with the kids will probably be the call of the day.  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

Got a reservation for a campsite near the center of the path this morning. Took a lot of waiting and refreshing, but finally made it through to the confirmation page. Still waiting on a confirmation email, so hopefully it is good.

Not at a state park right?  To my knowledge, they only open up reservations 5 months out.

So I called the park, and got confirmation that my reservations did go through, so I'll post up here. Petit Jean State Park in Arkansas is one of the best parks in the state and almost dead center of the path. They take reservations one year out. You can make a reservation now for starting Thursday night the week before the eclipse and modify it later to drop Thursday or Friday night off of your reservation if you decide not to make a whole weekend out of it. Good luck, y'all. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Been looking forward to this eclipse for years now, ever since happening to see a map with the path on NASA's website at some point.

Looks like we'll get about 2 minutes of totality at the school where I work. Could be fun being with all the kids on the football field for that. Hopefully we get a clear day.

Even though we weren't on the path of totality for the last one, I still thought it was really cool. Our school had bought eclipse glasses for everyone, though it was the week before school started so just faculty and their kids mainly.

A friend of mine has a lakehouse and boat in Kingsland. That would be a pretty sweet place to view it from, close to the center of the path.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, UTexasFight said:

I’m too lazy to go back and look.

is anywhere in the path all the same?

or better to be closer to the blue line for longer totality?

The best place to be is where the clouds aren't.  One little teeny cloud can turn you into an old man shaking your fist at clouds.  It's hard to control this factor unless you are mobile ... but I'm going to check the weather a few days before and aim for clear skies.

You don't have to be exactly on the blue line.  The amount of totality drops off just slightly as you move away from the blue line, for miles.  It drops really fast as you get to the edge of the shadow.  You want to be kind of in the middle, but you don't have to obsess about being right on the blue line.

I'm concerned that the hill country folks will do little planning for the exodus after, and we'll have an epic traffic jam once it's over.  So either plan to stay or plan to be stuck in traffic on the way back.

• Hook 'Em 2

I noticed rando friends contacting me about Air BnBs and my comment was, uh, I don't know... I'm going to walk to the community park.  People have crazy hard-ons for this, I guess.  Last time there was an eclipse, Harvey hit shortly afterwards so hold your nutsacks.

$5,000.00.  

https://www.smithsonianjourneys.org/tours/solar-eclipse-austin-texas-hill/itinerary/

Lol Laughing GIF

On a side note, this is cool...

https://eclipse2024.org/eclipse_cities/blog-posts/what-will-the-2024-total-solar-eclipse-look-like-from-austin.html

Edited by texasdago

Pretty lucky with our ranch being in the 100% zone for almost 4 1/2 minutes. Won't have to fuck around with crowds and traffic, which will be nice since my mother sent me the Lampasas newspaper from over the weekend. They're preparing for 100,000 people in town for the event, population of ~25K. It will be a shitshow of epic proportions. If it's a wet spring and there's no fire risk, we may decide to open up the property for camping and double the ranches profit for the year!

• Like 1

Pretty lucky with our ranch being in the 100% zone for almost 4 1/2 minutes. Won't have to fuck around with crowds and traffic, which will be nice since my mother sent me the Lampasas newspaper from over the weekend. They're preparing for 100,000 people in town for the event, population of ~25K. It will be a shitshow of epic proportions. If it's a wet spring and there's no fire risk, we may decide to open up the property for camping and double the ranches profit for the year!

Lampasas actually has around 8k people. County has around 25k.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

mainstream media is starting to heat up coverage

https://www.cnn.com/travel/solar-eclipse-2024-trip-planning-scn/index.html

April is unlikely to yield the kind of weather that most US viewers enjoyed for the 2017 eclipse in August. The best bet, climate-wise, isn’t in the United States at all.

Mexico, where the eclipse track reaches landfall near Mazatlán on the Pacific Coast, offers the best odds of favorable weather, according to Jay Anderson, a retired meteorologist with Canada’s weather service and an amateur astronomer who created the website Eclipsophile.com.

• 3 months later...
On 4/30/2022 at 2:15 PM, Pato del Muerto said:

Will you bump this late next year for me?

Certainly will

On 4/29/2022 at 3:41 PM, Hate said:

That’s damn near perfect for me. That line is maybe 1000 feet from being directly over the lake house with nearly 4 1/2 minutes of total eclipse. I can’t wait.

Change of plans - I think we should plan on going on Hate's place;
- Lake house, check
- Totality of Solar  eclipse, check
- Surly party, check

thanks for askin'

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1