Gym Pet Peeves

Ldogg53

I look over yesterday and there is an older guy, probably in his late 60's / early 70s, and he's working out with one of those elastic resistance bands. Which is fine and all, except he's got one end of the band wrapped around the end of a curl bar that is still on the rack. So the resistance band is basically attached to the rack and stretched out into the middle of the workout area, blocking both the rack and the space where people are working out. With the other end of the resistance band, he's doing some sort of fly or golf swing looking exercise and there is next to zero tension on the band. And to top it off, while he was doing this "exercise", he was leaning up against a stack of platforms used for box jumps and reading the newspaper. 

Ruptured my Achilles last summer and that set back my leg strength significantly. It's been over 14 months and even though it's slowly growing, it's still a sad sight compared to my good leg. Any type of free weight lower body lifts have been a challenge and it's very frustrating.  

3 hours ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Quads are great.  Jeans rip all the time.  Good problem.  Still do 315 for good reps on bench.  No spotter.  But calves lag.  They’re not bad just disproportionate.  That’s one muscle that you can train to death and still lags due to genetics.  ‘Mixing it up’ has helped but they are what they are.  

8ql880mdpm511.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Do people really have to fart in the gym?

This morning a guy and a girl were at the squat rack (they seemed like boyfriend/girlfriend instead of trainer/trainee, but not sure), and the dude kept blowing gas right in the middle of his reps. The girl didn’t say anything, either because she’s too embarrassed or used to it. 

This morning a guy and a girl were at the squat rack (they seemed like boyfriend/girlfriend instead of trainer/trainee, but not sure), and the dude kept blowing gas right in the middle of his reps. The girl didn’t say anything, either because she’s too embarrassed or used to it. 

Sorry for partying.

On 8/28/2019 at 4:59 AM, South Austin said:

That preworkout will get you, man. What do you want me to do. I apologize for nothing.

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/28/2019 at 6:59 AM, South Austin said:

Why do you hate plain chicken and boiled eggs bro?

• Like 1

On 9/23/2019 at 5:54 AM, BladeRunnerRock said:

Anybody ever heard of Crunch Fitness? They are opening locations in Tyler/Longview. Hoping it takes away some traffic from my gym. They seem to be Planet Fitness ish.

i belong to the one in Waco...it's not even close to PF.  the only similarity is in the price, and that's only if you're buying the weightroom/cardio and use of locker room package (which is the level i've got).  if you want to do the HIIT and cardio classes, tanning beds, massage as well as work out at other Crunch gyms, you jump to $29/month.

at least here it's a legit gym with some serious people in it. 

last i checked there's no PF with 6 power clean stations...

22f962768d5050780d8c-xs.png

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Kyrie Eleison said:

i belong to the one in Waco...it's not even close to PF.  the only similarity is in the price, and that's only if you're buying the weightroom/cardio and use of locker room package (which is the level i've got).  if you want to do the HIIT and cardio classes, tanning beds, massage as well as work out at other Crunch gyms, you jump to $29/month.

at least here it's a legit gym with some serious people in it. 

last i checked there's no PF with 6 power clean stations...

22f962768d5050780d8c-xs.png

That's good news. Glad to see it's a real gym.

• 3 weeks later...
there’s a planet fitness a short distance from my house.  thinking about joining but am I to believe they have no barbells, no squat racks, no benches?  is it even a gym?
Mine has squat racks and dumbells. No barbells that I recall. Why not just stop by and see what they have

I'm pretty sure Planet Fitness centers are mostly franchised, so their equipment can vary from location to location.

I apprehensively switched to a Planet Fitness that just opened near my house.  I was hesitant because at my location, no, there's no free weight bench or squat.  I'm still happy with it.  I'm not joining a power lifting team or the NFL at my age, and the dozen or so smith machines (yeah yeah, hate away) are never all being used at once and are good enough for me. It's big, clean, and there's a ton of hot women there.  No ragrets.

14 hours ago, crash_davis said:

Planet fitness is pretty shitty.

I don't get the hate or shitty comments.   In 20 years I've belonged to tons of different gyms in Houston, NYC, and SA.  24hour, Golds, the Y, NYSC, Equinox, Lifetime, and Planet Fitness to name a few   Like Tom said.  It's big and its clean.  It has what 90% of the exercising public needs unless you need lots of free weights or you're a man that wears yoga pants, and a skull cap to work out and you enjoy high fiving other men at the gym.     Unless you are a body builder most people don't need to spend more than 30-40 mins in the gym per session.

Edited by midtown

16 hours ago, Tom said:

I'm pretty sure Planet Fitness centers are mostly franchised, so their equipment can vary from location to location.

I apprehensively switched to a Planet Fitness that just opened near my house.  I was hesitant because at my location, no, there's no free weight bench or squat.  I'm still happy with it.  I'm not joining a power lifting team or the NFL at my age, and the dozen or so smith machines (yeah yeah, hate away) are never all being used at once and are good enough for me. It's big, clean, and there's a ton of hot women there.  No ragrets.

how many of these 'hot' women does it take to get to a ton? 

3 hours ago, crash_davis said:

not to go all bro but i didn't realize dudes go to the gym and NOT lift free weights, other than cardio days.

so yea, if weights isn't your thing, then PF is perfect.  if you want to lift weights, then not so much. me, i'd rather have a gym which offered both.

ymmv.

How much you bench?

not to go all bro but i didn't realize dudes go to the gym and NOT lift free weights, other than cardio days.
so yea, if weights isn't your thing, then PF is perfect.  if you want to lift weights, then not so much. me, i'd rather have a gym which offered both.
ymmv.
You must have missed the part about the fact that there are free weights.. But at 48 with a beat up body a few dumbells and machine weights are all I and a lot of people need. I realize there are advantages of free weights but let's not pretend that you can't get stronger without free weights.

I'll be over here icing my shoulder and knee and taking my gerritol now

On 10/22/2019 at 7:19 AM, midtown said:

I don't get the hate or shitty comments.   In 20 years I've belonged to tons of different gyms in Houston, NYC, and SA.  24hour, Golds, the Y, NYSC, Equinox, Lifetime, and Planet Fitness to name a few   Like Tom said.  It's big and its clean.  It has what 90% of the exercising public needs unless you need lots of free weights or you're a man that wears yoga pants, and a skull cap to work out and you enjoy high fiving other men at the gym.     Unless you are a body builder most people don't need to spend more than 30-40 mins in the gym per session.

I will have to walk back some of my implied criticism of PF and chalk it up to following the crowd and memes when it comes to equipment.

I went online and did a virtual tour of the one closest to me. There were at least 5 power racks and what appeared to be 2 sets (of each lb) of dumbbells with another 7 or 8 adjustable benches in that area. It's not convenient to where I live and is across town from where I work so there is still no chance I switch, but lack of equipment is not an issue.

Smith machines are awesome.  When I need to warm up my muscles before lifting, I attach bands to the smith machine to go through some quick exercises.  Not really sure if they have another purpose.  Wait... that's not fair... sometimes you can try to get the bar out of the way and use them for pullups if the pullup bar is in use.

7 minutes ago, texasdago said:

Smith machines are awesome.  When I need to warm up my muscles before lifting, I attach bands to the smith machine to go through some quick exercises.  Not really sure if they have another purpose.  Wait... that's not fair... sometimes you can try to get the bar out of the way and use them for pullups if the pullup bar is in use.

they are great for people who want to lift too heavy weights with really bad form. the constriction on range of motion for your body is great for injuring joints, tendons and muscles.  

whoever smith is, fuck you for being an asshat.

Edited by crash_davis
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, texasdago said:

1 hour ago, crash_davis said:

they are great for people who want to lift too heavy weights with really bad form. the constriction on range of motion for your body is great for injuring joints, tendons and muscles.  

whoever smith is, fuck you for being an asshat.

When my bicep tendons are really sore, I found that draping my arm over the smith machine bar and rolling around on it a bit really helps loosen it up so I can lift. Hurts like shit while I'm doing it but is effective 

4 minutes ago, Dennis Taylor said:

When my bicep tendons are really sore, I found that draping my arm over the smith machine bar and rolling around on it a bit really helps loosen it up so I can lift. Hurts like shit while I'm doing it but is effective 

damn.  that's 3 use cases.  maybe smith was a visionary.

• Like 2