Gym Pet Peeves

Ldogg53

9 hours ago, crash_davis said:

they are great for people who want to lift too heavy weights with really bad form. the constriction on range of motion for your body is great for injuring joints, tendons and muscles.  

whoever smith is, fuck you for being an asshat.

Hey cool, crash read some clickbait articles on the internet that said "Smith Machine so dangerous.  What about my balancing muscles?!?!!" and has been running with it.

My gym pet peeve is people who think you can't get bigger and stronger with progressive overload through any type of resistance training and think you have to free weight squat to build legs.  If only somebody had told Dorian Yates he had to squat to build any muscle, he wouldn't have been laughed out of Mr. Olympia competitions for his chicken legs. 

8 hours ago, Tom said:

My gym pet peeve is people who think you can't get bigger and stronger with progressive overload through any type of resistance training and think you have to free weight squat to build legs.  If only somebody had told Dorian Yates he had to squat to build any muscle, he wouldn't have been laughed out of Mr. Olympia competitions for his chicken legs. 

Lunges, bro.

13 minutes ago, BladeRunnerRock said:

internet meme comes to life. I was the only one in the gym, until newbie guy walks in followed by the "personal trainer".

In a matter of 50 minutes, he and his trainee combined for at least 125 "bros".  I really need to invest in some headphones. 

Bro, I found the perfect headphones for you on Amazon.

51fEVwIfeJL._SX569_.jpg

• Like 2

On 11/1/2019 at 3:59 PM, BladeRunnerRock said:

internet meme comes to life. I was the only one in the gym, until newbie guy walks in followed by the "personal trainer".

In a matter of 50 minutes, he and his trainee combined for at least 125 "bros".  I really need to invest in some headphones. 

you need to settle down and have a brotein shake. 

On 10/25/2019 at 9:46 PM, Tom said:

Hey cool, crash read some clickbait articles on the internet that said "Smith Machine so dangerous.  What about my balancing muscles?!?!!" and has been running with it.

So the lesson here is take a bunch of steroids if you want muscle growth.

1 hour ago, Parliament said:
4 hours ago, HenryJames said:
Can I do Smith machine lunges at Planet Fitness?

So long as you don't grunt.

Not sure if serious or if that's supposed to be another dig at Planet Fitness, but yes. 

No worries.  Feel free to keep the grunting at the local Gold's and 24H Fitness.  Half of the things mentioned as pet peeves in this thread, including but not limited to grunting and attention seekers, is actually enforced at PF and they get shit on for it.  Can't win I guess.

Edited by Tom

• 1 month later...
8 hours ago, BladeRunnerRock said:

Wednesday I got to witness concentration curls in the squat rack. The least surprising part of that was it was an aggy.

Which brings me to this observation.  I can always tell who the aggys are at the gym.  Without fail, they will wear some sort of aggy gear every time they workout.

Other annoyances, the guys that slam the plates together, at an ear shattering level, when they rack the bench press, squat rack, etc...It's like they have to announce to the gym that they are "loading up" the bar with 45's bro. 

Also, people that don't have a enough gym etiquette to walk-in and observe for just a minute to see what is being used by whom.  Sometimes, someone will walk in the door and make a beeline for a piece of equipment that I am using, and I have walked a few feet away for a second, to grab a towel, get a drink etc... I don't want to feel like I have to stand guard over it between sets.

On 12/20/2019 at 1:29 PM, sunset87 said:

Also, people that don't have a enough gym etiquette to walk-in and observe for just a minute to see what is being used by whom.  Sometimes, someone will walk in the door and make a beeline for a piece of equipment that I am using, and I have walked a few feet away for a second, to grab a towel, get a drink etc... I don't want to feel like I have to stand guard over it between sets.

That's fair. But there are some dudes who take ten minutes to complete three sets and feel the need to walk all around the gym between their sets, so it isn't clear if they're done with the machine. I wait until I'm done using a machine before I go for water or whatever so that I'm not holding up other people who may want to use it.  

1 hour ago, Zombie said:

That's fair. But there are some dudes who take ten minutes to complete three sets and feel the need to walk all around the gym between their sets, so it isn't clear if they're done with the machine. I wait until I'm done using a machine before I go for water or whatever so that I'm not holding up other people who may want to use it.  

If I’m doing heavy bench it will take 12-15 min to get my 6 sets done (2 warm up).  I don’t mind others working in... But be working around the same weight or ask someone else.  Peeling off more than a plate is kind of where it crosses the line for me.  

Already getting in a bitchy mood before the new year crush hits.  Get off my lawn.  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've seen an uptick in the lunch crowd. It's been better since the holidays ended, will probably get better once the college kids all go back to school and it will be back to normal around Feb.1. Pulling into the parking lot, I think "oh crap this is going to be a nightmare", but notice that all of the cardio equipment has someone on it and the rest of the gym is okay.

The early morning weekend crowd has definitely thinned out as far as people who lift.

• 3 weeks later...

Damn, went to wrong place to ask this question. 

I would love to bike outside but don't have a bike and the kid that goes to the gym with me will need to stay home alone if I went on my own.

Waiting for the bike to reset after an hour is not a 3 second kind of delay. Have to wait about a minute or two for it to fully turn off because it needs to make sure it's not stopping for a break or other reason. 

Yes. Weights are there too and would like to use them on days where I'm not biking for an hour and half. 

9 hours ago, Butch Had Not said:

Damn, went to wrong place to ask this question. 

I would love to bike outside but don't have a bike and the kid that goes to the gym with me will need to stay home alone if I went on my own.

Waiting for the bike to reset after an hour is not a 3 second kind of delay. Have to wait about a minute or two for it to fully turn off because it needs to make sure it's not stopping for a break or other reason. 

Yes. Weights are there too and would like to use them on days where I'm not biking for an hour and half. 

In my opinion, anything that you can do for an hour and half is not stressful enough.  Some say that this practice is actual catabolic and not anabolic.........which is fine if you wanna look like a 5'10" Manute Bol.  I would favor some form of HIIT workout.

• Like 1