Gym Pet Peeves

Ldogg53

32 minutes ago, Doze said:

In my opinion, anything that you can do for an hour and half is not stressful enough.  Some say that this practice is actual catabolic and not anabolic.........which is fine if you wanna look like a 5'10" Manute Bol.  I would favor some form of HIIT workout.

Get back to me when you’ve trained for and run a sub-4:00 marathon. Let me know if it’s stressful enough for you.  

Just now, nnm said:

Get back to me when you’ve trained for and run a sub-4:00 marathon. Let me know if it’s stressful enough for you.  

You train for marathons in a gym?  I'm talking about high stress rates like heavy deadlifts not workouts that REQUIRE you to do them forever because the stress rates are so low.   Knock yourself out if like long distance stuff.  I just have no desire to look like this guy.  Looks sickly to me.

spacer.png

16 hours ago, Doze said:

You train for marathons in a gym?  I'm talking about high stress rates like heavy deadlifts not workouts that REQUIRE you to do them forever because the stress rates are so low.   Knock yourself out if like long distance stuff.  I just have no desire to look like this guy.  Looks sickly to me.

spacer.png

That guy is running a sub 2:20 marathon, not a 4:00 marathon.  In fact you are actually both right.  Nobody who is training for a 4 hr marathon or even a 3 hr marathon is doing just long runs.  In fact, back in my heavy running days, I would rarely do even more than 30 miles in one week and no more than 7 miles in one workout.  However, about half of those miles were done on the track or hills doing interval work in an effort to get my one mile time under 5 minutes.  Once I was able to do that, I would occasionally train with my marathon friends and do a 15 or 20 mile run and even did a 25 mile run which I finished well under 3hrs.  All during this time I had a steady diet of push ups, various pull ups and core work and steadied out at about 168 lbs at 5'-11".  I never did an actual marathon for the sole reason that I would probably have taken my training seriously to get a really good time and that would have involved a lot more distance work which would have hurt my mile time or 5K times.

But I can assure you that all of the 200s and 400s I did to prepare me for long runs were extremely stressful and I never set foot in a gym for years on end.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, Llogg said:

I have a shitty garage gym that I'm back to using. Rings and suspension trainer, some resistance bands and smallish dumbbells are okay for upper body stuff, but legs are just hopeless.

Squat jumps, lunges, squat holds, calf raises.

I have 40# dumbbells and did a circuit workout at home that had me hobbled for days.   Deep squat (lower than 90* leg bend) with 2 40# dumbbells in rack position.  Yeah it works

Edited by Loco

49 minutes ago, Llogg said:

I have a shitty garage gym that I'm back to using. Rings and suspension trainer, some resistance bands and smallish dumbbells are okay for upper body stuff, but legs are just hopeless.

You can really destroy legs without much weight.  I'll post some shit later.  I used to load up the sled with a million 45's and actually come down past 90 degrees at least...but have gained a couple inches on each quad since I started the new stuff.  For now I'll leave you with goblet squats.  Grab a 40lb kettle ball and burn out a few sets with good form.  Start with no weight to perfect form.  

Yeah I know there are things I can do. The max load I can get for squats and lunges is around 100# (weighted best plus dumbbells). But it's just not the same. I'm also still affected by my spinal cord injury so balance is an issue as is impact level. So jumps are out. 

No clue how long this will last but I'm really not trying to invest $300+ into weights that I'll hopefully only be using temporarily. Searched online and weights were either prohibitively expensive or said 1-2 months for delivery. F that. So doing the kettlebell route. I know they're good just never got around to using them at the gym or home. Recs for good online vids or sites? Limited research says start with one, most men can start at 35lbs and just go from there, so going that route. Thanks in advance.

3 hours ago, PilotsError said:

Any of you follow Robert Frank on Instagram? He's been killing it since the gyms have closed down.

Today is Saturday, International Arm Day.......so yes. I've been following him there and twitter for awhile. A while back he was bouncing back and forth between platforms because he kept getting his accounts locked. He can be hilarious.

12 hours ago, achooloco said:

No clue how long this will last but I'm really not trying to invest $300+ into weights that I'll hopefully only be using temporarily. Searched online and weights were either prohibitively expensive or said 1-2 months for delivery. F that. So doing the kettlebell route. I know they're good just never got around to using them at the gym or home. Recs for good online vids or sites? Limited research says start with one, most men can start at 35lbs and just go from there, so going that route. Thanks in advance.

Onnit has a killer kettlebell home workout program that I can’t recommend highly enough. 

This is also a great video for the kettlebell swing, the foundational kettlebell exercise 

• Like 2

On 3/27/2020 at 10:23 AM, ChiTownDoc said:

You can really destroy legs without much weight.  I'll post some shit later.  I used to load up the sled with a million 45's and actually come down past 90 degrees at least...but have gained a couple inches on each quad since I started the new stuff.  For now I'll leave you with goblet squats.  Grab a 40lb kettle ball and burn out a few sets with good form.  Start with no weight to perfect form.  

I twisted my knee at work about 4 weeks ago. It didn’t cripple me or anything but it felt bruised for a day.  Since then, when I try to run or do leg work outs my knee burns. Kept me up all night about a week after I first hurt it. I did one set of body weight squats today, and it was immediately obvious I shouldn’t do anymore (the pain I’ve had the last few hours makes me glad I didn’t keep going) 

you’re a doctor. What the fuck is wrong with me and what do i do to fix it?

24 minutes ago, UT_OB1 said:

I twisted my knee at work about 4 weeks ago. It didn’t cripple me or anything but it felt bruised for a day.  Since then, when I try to run or do leg work outs my knee burns. Kept me up all night about a week after I first hurt it. I did one set of body weight squats today, and it was immediately obvious I shouldn’t do anymore (the pain I’ve had the last few hours makes me glad I didn’t keep going) 

you’re a doctor. What the fuck is wrong with me and what do i do to fix it?

Well first you can test for laxity.  Look online.  Not easy but you can do it yourself.  Any laxity means MRI for sure.  
No laxity and you’ll be ok resting it for 1-2 weeks at the least.  But at long as it hurts like that don’t try to work through it.  
Im assuming you’re under 40 so straight up OA is not the issue.  

I'm not a crossfitter, never been to one of their gyms... err. boxes 🙄

But they have a workout I do in hotel gyms all the time.  Been doing it in the garage here lately with the gym being closed.  The CFers call it The Murph, named after a SEAL who died and earned the CMOH in Afghanistan.

1.  One mile run

2.  Any combination of sets and reps, in any order you want, until it adds up to 100 pull-ups, 200 push-ups, 300 body weight squats.

3.  One mile run

I can't get to the 100 pull ups yet so I cut it in half.  I used to cut the whole thing in half to make it 50/100/150, but lately I'm good with the pushups and squats but stick to 50 pull ups total.  I start with sets of 5 pull ups, 10 push ups, 20 squats.  Zero rest in the beginning, a little rest toward the end.  10 sets of that finishes my pull ups, then I just keep doing 5 more sets of just the 10  pushups and  20 squats only until the squats hit 300, then 5 more sets of the push ups alone.   That's my method and if I end up coming up short on the pull ups I keep track of how short and add them in at the end.  It takes some thought or some form of keeping track, but that keeps my mind occupied.  

My own personal anti CF note:  Dead hang pull ups only.  I may be 47 years old, no longer at my peak fitness, with a long rap sheet of injuries, but that's no excuse to be a pussy with your kipping pull ups.  

On 3/28/2020 at 2:31 PM, BrazilHorn said:

Here is a good body weight WO for all the quarantine gym rats. 

Descending/Ascending ladder

Push-ups/Flutter kicks

20 PU, 1 Flutter Kick

19 PU, 2 Flutter Kicks

18/3, 17/4 etc etc

That's good.  One pyramid we used to do in the Marine Corps was:

1 pull up, 10 push ups, 20 flutterkicks

2 pull ups, 10 push ups, 20 flutterkicks

3/10/20, 

4/10/20

5/10/20.

Then 5 again and work your way back down to 1.

Up and back gets you 30 pull ups, 100 push ups, 200 flutterkicks.  Simple and quick.

Take it up to 6 and back if 30 isn't enough pull-ups for you.

Been using my home stash of weights for the last couple weeks for obvious reasons and realized i needed 2 more 10 pound plates for the adjustable dumbbells (had 6). Went to Academy and they were completely sold out of any type of plates, any size. this is worse than new years resolutionists packing gyms every January 

Yeah my wife needed some little girly dumbbells for her workouts. All weights completely sold out at Academy and the other athletic stores in the area are internet orders only. That NEVER happens in January. 

A couple of weeks ago I ordered a bunch of  shit - bench press, 7' bar, sets of 45, 35, 25, and 10 lb plates, and a pair of 35 lb dumbbells.

As it stands, all that's been delivered are the bench, the 35's, and the dumbbells. Pain in the ass - everything is backed up everywhere. So I've resorted to doing arms exclusively w those 35 lb dumbells

I have stockpiled a decent setup over the years, a cheap Weider power rack, a set (45s, 35s, 25s, 10s) of bumper plates (for the kids to do power and hang cleans for football) a nice adjustable bench given to me by a friend. then a neighbor gave me a 7' bar and set of iron plates when their kid enlisted in the military. And I got a cheap trap bar from a school that was getting an upgraded weight room. My son can get in his full program done in the garage ...I've added a pair of adjustable dumbbells and more smaller plates and I'm glad I kept it all now!

A couple of weeks ago I ordered a bunch of  shit - bench press, 7' bar, sets of 45, 35, 25, and 10 lb plates, and a pair of 35 lb dumbbells.
As it stands, all that's been delivered are the bench, the 35's, and the dumbbells. Pain in the ass - everything is backed up everywhere. So I've resorted to doing arms exclusively w those 35 lb dumbells

You’re gonna look like the Sitch if you’re not careful.

On 4/10/2020 at 3:56 PM, 66BUFF said:

Hard to believe he played college basketball

19 hours ago, Parliament said:

Tall guy with a big frame. Lotsa calories and just live in the gym. I think Bjornson was a BB player as well?

yeah and maybe a couple other factors involved to make these transformations

spacer.png

spacer.png