Gym Pet Peeves

Ldogg53

On 6/3/2020 at 7:08 PM, Quagmire said:

Don’t get the mask people at gyms. If
You are that scared you probably shouldn’t be at the gym in the first place touching everything

Talked to the new manager at my gym yesterday. He gets calls daily from folks asking to freeze their account for another month or refund them for June. They are scared to come in.

On 6/3/2020 at 2:53 PM, Fondren & Main said:

Well, at least all the constant wiping down will keep us all from getting staph.  Fucking gyms should’ve been doing that any way.  Gym no longer smells like a micro lab now.

That's good to hear--up until the Monday before everything closed, I was one of the few that wiped down after using every machine/bench (and nothing crazy, but definitely did it). For 2 days, it was pretty funny to see everyone else doing it. Haven't had the opportunity to check post-reopening (24s still closed, not sure Planet is worth the trip just yet), but will be interested to see if anything has changed....

On 6/3/2020 at 12:42 PM, Dennis Taylor said:

I guess my gym polices itself, and if someone does any of that shit they will hear it from a member. if they are new (and there are lots of them RN)  it will be polite. typically it's a pretty tight ship- dumbbells racked in order, plates racked by size, bars stripped etc.     

That's a fucking badass gym.  I go pretty far out of my way to workout there when I'm on business in Houston.  Definitely jealous I have nothing similar in my immediate area. 

• Like 1

They shuttered the downtown Dallas location last year I think then the mockingbird location was sunk just now. That leaves a new one in Kessler area and another one on forest/75... which will result in the loss of my membership. Totally pulled out of the affluent/active/young (not humblebrag) area of Dallas.

That mockingbird gym took up almost half of a 2nd floor and the entirety of the 3rd floor of a shopping center, had been there 15 yrs probably.

48 minutes ago, bluto said:

They shuttered the downtown Dallas location last year I think then the mockingbird location was sunk just now. That leaves a new one in Kessler area and another one on forest/75... which will result in the loss of my membership. Totally pulled out of the affluent/active/young (not humblebrag) area of Dallas.

That mockingbird gym took up almost half of a 2nd floor and the entirety of the 3rd floor of a shopping center, had been there 15 yrs probably.

I guess they can expand the escape room now.  should be badass with the extra space.

On 6/15/2020 at 5:52 PM, gyroprotagonist said:

I guess they can expand the escape room now.  should be badass with the extra space.

I think they should open up a CBD super store in the space, kill off the other two CBD stores on the first floor. that whole building is a trip though.... a cleaners and a separate tailor, two cbd shops, a tanning salon, massage parlor, smoothie king then a realtor and escape room on 2nd floor. all that crap stuff in an area where vacant residential lots are ~$400k min.  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 6/16/2020 at 2:15 PM, Pancho said:

Hmmm

dude bro at the gym keeps alternating between tech and aggy gear. And a former arkie player keeps wearing nothing but hog shit everyday. 

I need a new gym.

Who smells worse, the guy covered in hog shit or the tech/aggy mashup?  

Oh and the gym has been great.  Less crowded and a decent amount of quality ass.  I have less peeves.  I need to hit a planet fitness to properly post in here. 

So y'all mask up for lifting? Skip the aerobic/running/bike machines?  NYC still closed but not sure I'll go back since I have kettlebells arriving in a week or so and been running outside since March. Who knows what I'll do when it gets cold but I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.

So y'all mask up for lifting? Skip the aerobic/running/bike machines?  NYC still closed but not sure I'll go back since I have kettlebells arriving in a week or so and been running outside since March. Who knows what I'll do when it gets cold but I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.

Sack up and put some warm clothes on, Nancy.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Parliament said:

Sack up and put some warm clothes on, Nancy.

You run outside when windchill is in the single digits or when it stays below freezing for weeks at a time? Congrats, I can't do that.

Edited by achooloco

50 minutes ago, achooloco said:

You run outside when windchill is in the single digits or when it stays below freezing for weeks at a time? Congrats, I can't do that.

Absolutely. I worked for a Norwegian company for 12 years and was over there very frequently. There are great ways to stay running in the cold, even on the ice. It’s gotta get down to about 15 below before I will stop. It feels a hell of a lot better to run in zero degree weather than anything April-October in Houston. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Chewbacca said:
10 hours ago, achooloco said:

You need to toughen up. Fuck, 32 degrees is not cold.

9 hours ago, nnm said:

Absolutely. I worked for a Norwegian company for 12 years and was over there very frequently. There are great ways to stay running in the cold, even on the ice. It’s gotta get down to about 15 below before I will stop. It feels a hell of a lot better to run in zero degree weather than anything April-October in Houston. 

Y’all are some billy bad asses! To be fair, 32 would be warmer to what I was describing.

But honestly, what’s the clothing procedure? Running outside for exercise is new to me so for now it’s just shorts, tshirt and staying away from people. And when it’s really cold, walking the pup more than a half hour just seemed to suck (Besides i had the gym so why bother).  do you use gloves, ear covers, long sleeve and long johns under shorts? Or prefer the same summer gear?

• Fuck You 1

Layers.  More when it's especially cold.  Less when it's not so bad.

Wool socks under your regular shoes.

Good gloves.  No matter how warm your core is, your hands get cold.

Neck gaiter.  It'll change your live.

Basically, pick the clothes you'd wear if it was 15 degrees warmer than it is, and you aren't running.  That's a good start.  You'll be amazed by how easy it all is, knowing your numbers won't be as good as they are in the Summer.

15 hours ago, achooloco said:

Gyms in Arizona open back up tomorrow morning, and I’ve decided that I’m going with a mask and avoiding the locker room. We have to reserve a spot and if I’m not mistaken, the gym will only be letting 30 people in at a time. Luckily I can go in the middle of the day and I don’t have to fight for a spot in peak hrs, but yeah that’s the plan starting tomorrow. 

9 hours ago, Parliament said:

Layers.  More when it's especially cold.  Less when it's not so bad.

Wool socks under your regular shoes.

Good gloves.  No matter how warm your core is, your hands get cold.

Neck gaiter.  It'll change your live.

Basically, pick the clothes you'd wear if it was 15 degrees warmer than it is, and you aren't running.  That's a good start.  You'll be amazed by how easy it all is, knowing your numbers won't be as good as they are in the Summer.

Gloves are absolutely the right answer. And do NOT overdress. You don’t dress for the first mile. After the first mile, your body is so warm, a light jacket is sufficient for anything above freezing. I’ll even take that off and tie it around my waist unless it’s below 32. After that, @Parliament is right, it’s all about layers. Thin, modern tech materials, in layers. I wear shorts until it’s below 32, then I’ll wear light running tights. Even in the coldest weather (down to about -10f), I won’t need anything more than light running tights and regular socks and shoes.

The real variable is precipitation. I love to run in a warm rain, but a cold sleet is miserable. That’s no bueno. I can handle a sleet/snow with a light head covering skull cap (not thick like a ski cap, but a single layer liner type thing) until 32f, but if it’s sleeting after that, I’m staying inside. Snow is another matter. I can handle snow.  That’s nice, actually. 

Edited by nnm

13 hours ago, youdunnf'dup said:

Gyms in Arizona open back up tomorrow morning, and I’ve decided that I’m going with a mask and avoiding the locker room. We have to reserve a spot and if I’m not mistaken, the gym will only be letting 30 people in at a time. Luckily I can go in the middle of the day and I don’t have to fight for a spot in peak hrs, but yeah that’s the plan starting tomorrow. 

You might want to check on that before you go, on Thursday Ducey extended the gym closure indefinitely. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/ktar.com/story/3427706/arizona-releases-draft-of-requirements-for-gyms-to-reopen-but-no-date/amp/

On 7/26/2020 at 7:06 AM, achooloco said:

Y’all are some billy bad asses! To be fair, 32 would be warmer to what I was describing.

But honestly, what’s the clothing procedure? Running outside for exercise is new to me so for now it’s just shorts, tshirt and staying away from people. And when it’s really cold, walking the pup more than a half hour just seemed to suck (Besides i had the gym so why bother).  do you use gloves, ear covers, long sleeve and long johns under shorts? Or prefer the same summer gear?

I hate running.  But I do ski.  Gloves and a hat are key when it gets cold.

• Hook 'Em 1

So i realize the only reason I’m saying this is because I’m frustrated, but why can restaurants and barber shops be open, but gyms can’t. What’s the problem with making people reserve an hr of workout time online, closely monitoring what capacity you’re at, forcing everyone to wear a mask, etc? When people are sitting down at restaurants to eat, they take off their mask and eat. The restrooms are open to the public. How is any of that “safer” than a gym? I don’t know, it seems like you should give some of these places a chance to try to run their business and if they can’t meet whatever protocol is put in place, shut em down again. But give them a chance. 

So i realize the only reason I’m saying this is because I’m frustrated, but why can restaurants and barber shops be open, but gyms can’t. What’s the problem with making people reserve an hr of workout time online, closely monitoring what capacity you’re at, forcing everyone to wear a mask, etc? When people are sitting down at restaurants to eat, they take off their mask and eat. The restrooms are open to the public. How is any of that “safer” than a gym? I don’t know, it seems like you should give some of these places a chance to try to run their business and if they can’t meet whatever protocol is put in place, shut em down again. But give them a chance. 
You're spewing more respiratory droplets when exercising. Gyms shouldn't be open right now.

However, I agree that it's silly to allow indoor dining to continue. It's like going to the gym for your mouth.
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, gmr548 said:

You're spewing more respiratory droplets when exercising. Gyms shouldn't be open right now.

However, I agree that it's silly to allow indoor dining to continue. It's like going to the gym for your mouth.

I guess that’s my larger point. If you’re going to close gyms, maybe just close everything but the essentials again. We’re about to put teachers back in classrooms of 15-25 snotty nose kids lol. But we can’t keep gyms open at a minimum capacity? If you’re really trying to fix the problem, fix the fucking problem. Don’t try and save face by saying “we’re doing everything we can and listening to all of the experts. See, here’s proof. We closed LA fitness”

Edited by youdunnf'dup
  • Hook 'Em 1

I go both ways on the gym thing. You can get all kindsa exercise outside and as important as fitness it, it doesn't rank with schooling for the children. Slowing the spread is all about reducing the whole "basket" of exposure events, and if closing gyms can help keep schools open, that makes sense.

That said, I hit the gym 3 times a week and you'll pull the dumbbell from my cold, dead hand.

Planet fitness is going to require masks 100% of the time starting Saturday.   The only time I went half the people were simply carrying their mask from one station to the next because the Texas law says you don't have to wear one while you are on a piece of equipment so I stopped going. 

2 hours ago, youdunnf'dup said:

I guess that’s my larger point. If you’re going to close gyms, maybe just close everything but the essentials again. We’re about to put teachers back in classrooms of 15-25 snotty nose kids lol. But we can’t keep gyms open at a minimum capacity? If you’re really trying to fix the problem, fix the fucking problem. Don’t try and save face by saying “we’re doing everything we can and listening to all of the experts. See, here’s proof. We closed LA fitness”

I agree with this 100%. If the govt had said in March, "Everybody stay home for the next 20 days. We will send trucks to your house with food once a week. If you leave your home you will be shot on sight." This whole thing would have been over. Instead we have all this half ass bullshit that inconveniences everyone while doing fuck all to solve the problem.

Edited by Llogg
wear your masks
  • Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

The only thing that really bothers me is inconsiderate a holes.

One I came across recently...guy using multiple benches/machines. and kind of just doing his own circuit training.  Not only that he had a ton of fucking weight on the bench...and just left it when he was done.  I want so say it was like 275. And his form was incredibly bad/dangerous

So to you, mister circuit-trainer-in-a-crowded-gym-with-too-much-weight-and-your-poor-form...I hope you forever have back issues.

It's that time of the year when the crowded parking lot gives you a moment of dread, but then you see they are mostly on the treadmills/ellipticals.

Hoodie guy, with the hood up randomly faced the mirror and "hulked out" (the most muscular pose). I'm not exactly sure what he was expecting to see. His face? The gym will always have interesting characters.

On 1/22/2021 at 5:50 AM, BladeRunnerRock said:

It's that time of the year when the crowded parking lot gives you a moment of dread, but then you see they are mostly on the treadmills/ellipticals.

Hoodie guy, with the hood up randomly faced the mirror and "hulked out" (the most muscular pose). I'm not exactly sure what he was expecting to see. His face? The gym will always have interesting characters.

2cb3afcf6658cc7e2688abe6c98d5231.jpg

On 1/22/2021 at 5:50 AM, BladeRunnerRock said:

38 minutes ago, gyroprotagonist said:

2cb3afcf6658cc7e2688abe6c98d5231.jpg

arnie_01.gif

• 3 weeks later...

I don't think that's a PF.  I go to one and there would be more purpe and there are no "coaches" that Ive seen.   I turned some jerk in who wasnt wearing a mask at all.  Not because I was that concerned about getting rona but because I hate people who think the rules don't apply to them.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1