Gym Pet Peeves

Ldogg53

21 minutes ago, T’Boo Ted Marshall said:

Are most gyms requiring masks while working out?

No.  You can have it off while you are working out but you're supposed to wear it when moving around the gym.  Pretty sure its a state reg.   I dont cardio at the gym.  I only lift so I leave mine on the whole time.  ITs just easier

Edited by midtown
  • Like 1

On 2/14/2021 at 9:42 AM, Llogg said:

I'm with you on the people who feel above the rules. And my lol at PF was that they advertise the "judgment free zone" or something. And then there's this guy.

At my PF it says "Judgement Free Zone" in giant letters on the back wall.  That spelling is a gym pet peeve.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 3/26/2021 at 10:05 AM, PittsburghTiger said:

Why do people bring their phones, and use the ear-bud things to make calls, and talk really loudly so the rest of us can hear the one side of the conversation?

1.) they want the person on the phone to ask them what they are doing so they can say "working out".

2.) It's a gym. When you suck at doing gym-stuff, you do non-gym stuff.

7 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

I hit the 2 week mark last Saturday. Over the bad soreness and on to the good.

The bad soreness is REALLY bad.  I had to skip Friday just to make it through the weekend.  Back at HIIT tomorrow.  Hoping to get to the good soreness by next week.

14 minutes ago, DDD Dad said:

The bad soreness is REALLY bad.  I had to skip Friday just to make it through the weekend.  Back at HIIT tomorrow.  Hoping to get to the good soreness by next week.

Oh dude i was a snake for a week. Waking up multiple times during the night. You'll be through it by the middle of this week i should think.

45 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

You guys are back in the gym? 

back? been going since they opened back up a year ago. just have to work out with mask, although that requirement doesn't seem to be that strict. it's more just need a mask on to get through the door, however, if you are working out without one, no one says anything. that wasn't the case a year ago. 

me, i still try to mask as much as possible. i drop the mask every now and then to get a drink or when i need to catch a breath (leg days and cardio). have no issues if others don't mask. it is what it is now.

• Like 1

now, my LA Fitness on Anderson is about 66-75% full at 5-7pm of what it was pre-covid. off peak hours, it's about 1/2 full of "normal". mostly the women have stayed away. the fitness classes are about 10% of what they were. dudes still need to get their swole on. women found other ways of getting cardio done, or have just become fat. 

1 minute ago, 6th Street said:

Interesting to see so many back. I'm more worried about being around the usual degenerates that don't wipe down equipment etc. Will keep rolling with the home gym setup until the summer 

Last year, most everyone wiped down their stations after using it. You'd have your usual assholes who didn't but they are the same assholes who never re-racked their weights anyway. Selfish assholes are gonna selfish assholes, pandemic or not.

Now, it's about 25%, just spit balling. I wipe down the benches but not the weights. I'm an half asshole. 

Most women always wipe down their benches and weights. 

• Hook 'Em 1

My workouts usually are HIIT classes.  Last indoor session before last week was the Monday after St. Patrick's day in 2020.  For outdoor classes we had individual disinfectant spray bottles at each station and each person got a small cleaning towel to use and bring along from station to station.  Once indoor classes resumed everything was with masks.  HIIT with masks on is a bitch.  I've done two so far and it's really hard to get enough air.  Looking forward to herd immunity soon. 

I've been going to the OPEX gym in Round Rock. It's basically a private HIIT gym. Everyone has an individualized workout, and gyms are limited to only about 5 people at a time, so the coaches can walk from person to person and help everybody like a personal trainer. With a limited amount of people it's much easier to keep the equipment cleaned and to avoid others. 

Lulz. I got Karen’d this morning.

After heavy leg days I walk on the treadmill at about 2.5-3 to cool down for maybe 10 minutes.

I touch maybe 3 buttons and wipe them down after I’m done. As I’m waking off an older lady told me to wipe down the whole machine including the handles I don’t use. Told her I’d pass but if she wanted to do that she was welcome to.

• 2 months later...

The whole “let me do bodybuilding poses in the mirror” shit is getting way old.

So is the “let me purposely pull up my shorts I’m hopes the whole gym looks at my quads.” As he’s walking around he just keeps pulling them up. They go right back down after walking a few more steps and he pulls them back up again. 

Christ.

• 1 month later...
43 minutes ago, PittsburghTiger said:

I would like to see my gym do some instruction so that all the Silver Sneaker folks who come in and don't use any kind of form that will lead to injury because they are trying too much weight. I cringe watching them. That's why I try to get there by 6:30 in the morning, before the crowd.

What does Silver Sneaker mean?

9 hours ago, PittsburghTiger said:

The senior citizens.  They get a gym membership paid by insurance.  The program is called Silver Sneakers

Shouldn't the program be called "Nike Monarch" or "New Balance 624"?

monarch.jpg

• 1 month later...
On 3/29/2021 at 1:05 PM, DDD Dad said:

My workouts usually are HIIT classes.  Last indoor session before last week was the Monday after St. Patrick's day in 2020.  For outdoor classes we had individual disinfectant spray bottles at each station and each person got a small cleaning towel to use and bring along from station to station.  Once indoor classes resumed everything was with masks.  HIIT with masks on is a bitch.  I've done two so far and it's really hard to get enough air.  Looking forward to herd immunity soon. 

Ahh. What it was to be naive and have some faith in fellow Americans. A mere 5 months ago, at that. I'm back to wearing a mask. 

Came here to rage about the phone thing. I'm seeing this more and more. I see @PittsburghTiger beat me to it. What the fuck is this shit? You need to have a conversation while you're in the middle of a set??

• Like 1

Not a pet peeve, just a humble boast here. I was feeling pretty good at the gym so I figured why not try benching a bit heavy and I got 250 pounds up, six times, with not any trouble. Not too bad for an old (55) guy. I generally don't do that very often.

I actually prefer the flat bench dumbbell presses, one arm at a time, and I am doing well with 70-pounds in each hand. It feels good.

Edited by PittsburghTiger
  • Hook 'Em 3

17 hours ago, PittsburghTiger said:

Not a pet peeve, just a humble boast here. I was feeling pretty good at the gym so I figured why not try benching a bit heavy and I got 250 pounds up, six times, with not any trouble. Not too bad for an old (55) guy. I generally don't do that very often.

TPHqbZL.gif

• Haha 1

On 9/7/2021 at 9:24 PM, PittsburghTiger said:

I actually prefer the flat bench dumbbell presses, one arm at a time, and I am doing well with 70-pounds in each hand. It feels good.

I partially tore my pec in February. Still afraid of the weight. Not sure if I’m feeling good or bad pain.  

Flat barbell bench press is no bueno for the whole shoulder/bicep tendon area...there are plenty of other movements that are more effective and less risky. I've finally gotten to where I won't do it under any circumstances. Hammer Strength machines, dumbbells,  cables, various push-up varieties,  and even 

Spoiler

Smith Machine- gasp!

as a teen/ early 20s , didn't know any better and benched 2 if not 3 times a week heavy as possible a good bit of the time. Backed it down to once a week until early 30s and got pretty damn strong but got to where I was in constant pain. 

• 1 month later...
On 9/9/2021 at 9:39 AM, PittsburghTiger said:

Injuries are not fun. In late 2010 I partially tore both rotators. It took me two years to rehab them myself and another year to really feel good again.

I hurt my right shoulder doing dumbell bench press like 2 years ago.  I've always done barbell, but one day the gym was too crowded and I couldn't get a spot so just decided to mix it up and do dumbbells.  My inexperienced ass went too heavy and way too deep (no bar to automatically stop me when I get to my chest) and I've had a screwed up rotator cuff ever since.  I completely laid off lifting for over a year and the pain went away, but it came right back when I started back up again earlier this year.

Any tips or suggestions on rehabbing it yourself?  I've heard nothing but horror stories about doctors wanting to prematurely operate on rotator cuffs and surgeries making things worse.