Gym Pet Peeves

Ldogg53

11 minutes ago, Tom said:

I hurt my right shoulder doing dumbell bench press like 2 years ago.  I've always done barbell, but one day the gym was too crowded and I couldn't get a spot so just decided to mix it up and do dumbbells.  My inexperienced ass went too heavy and way too deep (no bar to automatically stop me when I get to my chest) and I've had a screwed up rotator cuff ever since.  I completely laid off lifting for over a year and the pain went away, but it came right back when I started back up again earlier this year.

Any tips or suggestions on rehabbing it yourself?  I've heard nothing but horror stories about doctors wanting to prematurely operate on rotator cuffs and surgeries making things worse.

Stretch, ice, massage gun, inward/outward rotation with tube (see picture), deep tissue massage (NOT DeShawn Watson type), and as I mentioned above hammer strength equipment,  cables etc. Try incline dumbbell press with light weight and limited range of motion. Not sure your age but I want to avoid surgery no matter what and have been working around issues for years. Fact is as you get older you'll have a new normal every so often unless you roll the dice and have it cut on.

311FCwmC6XL._AC_SY1000_.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1

20 minutes ago, Dennis Taylor said:

Stretch, ice, massage gun, inward/outward rotation with tube (see picture), deep tissue massage (NOT DeShawn Watson type), and as I mentioned above hammer strength equipment,  cables etc. Try incline dumbbell press with light weight and limited range of motion. Not sure your age but I want to avoid surgery no matter what and have been working around issues for years. Fact is as you get older you'll have a new normal every so often unless you roll the dice and have it cut on.

Thanks.  I'm only in my late 30's but this has been really bugging me. I've always loved bench pressing just from a vanity standpoint.  It was one of the few big lifts that came pretty easy to me and I was always good at getting some decent numbers out of it, but it may be time to just quit flat benching altogether.  Some mornings just pushing myself up out of bed on that side feels like somebody is stabbing an ice pick into my shoulder.  Lat pulldown will kind of hurt too if I go too heavy.

Yet for whatever reason I can still do a ton of pushups and not really feel much pain, but any kind of dips are absolutely not happening at this point.

4 hours ago, Dennis Taylor said:

I'm 62. I tore my rotator cuff 6 years ago doing dips (too deep). I started lifting back in the 70's so I had a good 40 years of abuse to my shoulders and my only solution was surgery. I'm not sure it's an injury that repairs itself over time. Mine was pretty bad but the doctor told me if I didn't have surgery I would never have strength in that shoulder again. He also  said if I didn't change my workout, to expect the other one to go too. He told me whatever I do I should cut back on the weight and never bend my elbows past 90 degrees. Never hurts to see a doc. You can always say no to surgery.  

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Crapinon said:

I'm 62. I tore my rotator cuff 6 years ago doing dips (too deep). I started lifting back in the 70's so I had a good 40 years of abuse to my shoulders and my only solution was surgery. I'm not sure it's an injury that repairs itself over time. Mine was pretty bad but the doctor told me if I didn't have surgery I would never have strength in that shoulder again. He also  said if I didn't change my workout, to expect the other one to go too. He told me whatever I do I should cut back on the weight and never bend my elbows past 90 degrees. Never hurts to see a doc. You can always say no to surgery.  

Sure, always best to seek medical opinion as well. I had a tear (not a rupture)in my right bicep at the upper insertion about 5 years ago, did not get surgery. It was black and blue from my shoulder to my elbow for about a month and looked disgusting for awhile.  I was really afraid I made a mistake but it had rebounded pretty well. 

How did you respond to the surgery? How long did you rehab, what is your strength like etc?

Thanks 

42 minutes ago, Dennis Taylor said:

Sure, always best to seek medical opinion as well. I had a tear (not a rupture)in my right bicep at the upper insertion about 5 years ago, did not get surgery. It was black and blue from my shoulder to my elbow for about a month and looked disgusting for awhile.  I was really afraid I made a mistake but it had rebounded pretty well. 

How did you respond to the surgery? How long did you rehab, what is your strength like etc?

Thanks 

When I went to see the doctor after my surgery I ask him how long rehab would take. He told me 3-4 months and I told him I would finish it 3 weeks. He laughed and said "good luck". And he was right. it took every bit of 4 months. I had to sleep in a recliner for 4 weeks because it hurt like hell to lay flat in a bed. I had no strength in the shoulder for a couple of months, I was lucky to get my arm above my head. I probably got back about 60-70% of my strength. I could probably do more but I don't have anything to prove to myself anymore and don't want to risk screwing it up again or injuring the other shoulder. I was developing arthritis in both shoulders too, so that could play a part.  The biggest thing I lost was flexibility. I can't extended my arm completely straight in the air anymore. I have tried to stretch it back for years and it just ain't happening. The doctor told me he just wanted it to be close to where it was before and I guess it is. I wouldn't want to go through it again and that's why I've transitioned into "old man" weight lifting with a lot of circuit training. Not trying to get big anymore, just trying to stay in some kind of decent shape. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

On 10/29/2021 at 11:39 AM, Tom said:

I hurt my right shoulder doing dumbell bench press like 2 years ago.  I've always done barbell, but one day the gym was too crowded and I couldn't get a spot so just decided to mix it up and do dumbbells.  My inexperienced ass went too heavy and way too deep (no bar to automatically stop me when I get to my chest) and I've had a screwed up rotator cuff ever since.  I completely laid off lifting for over a year and the pain went away, but it came right back when I started back up again earlier this year.

Any tips or suggestions on rehabbing it yourself?  I've heard nothing but horror stories about doctors wanting to prematurely operate on rotator cuffs and surgeries making things worse.

I did a lot of straight arm/shoulder raises with first five pounds and then 10 pounds. Just standing flat footed and raising my arm, while it is straight, to just about parallel with the shoulders. I didn't go above, first because I can't and second because it's not good. You could also do the same exercise, but with your arms to the side, and lift them straight up, to parallel, not above.

The classic one for a rotator is to have your arm and at 90-degree angle, with the elbow held tight to the body and your hand in front of you with a light weight, say five pounds, and rotate your arm out. All while keeping the elbow tucked into your body. 

I missed almost two years of lifting. My left shoulder is not good, and it never will be, but I can still lift. I really do like dumbbell presses. I generally only go as high as 70 pounds anymore, since I am old. But you can get a good workout with 45 pounds in each hand.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I avoid barbell presses like the plague... my shoulder is not happy doing them.  Really like dumbbell presses as I can get relatively heavy on them (up to 80 lbs on top set without a spotter) without getting hurt.  I only weigh a buck fifty so that's a good weight for me.  For warm-ups, I use those rubber tube band things to gradually warm up my muscles.  Makes a big difference.  Never start cold.

5 hours ago, PittsburghTiger said:

I did a lot of straight arm/shoulder raises with first five pounds and then 10 pounds. Just standing flat footed and raising my arm, while it is straight, to just about parallel with the shoulders. I didn't go above, first because I can't and second because it's not good. You could also do the same exercise, but with your arms to the side, and lift them straight up, to parallel, not above.

The classic one for a rotator is to have your arm and at 90-degree angle, with the elbow held tight to the body and your hand in front of you with a light weight, say five pounds, and rotate your arm out. All while keeping the elbow tucked into your body. 

I missed almost two years of lifting. My left shoulder is not good, and it never will be, but I can still lift. I really do like dumbbell presses. I generally only go as high as 70 pounds anymore, since I am old. But you can get a good workout with 45 pounds in each hand.

Only thing I would say about that is even if it's only 5 lbs the downward force is bad for that area, especially if it's already compromised. The tube like I posted above allows you to work purely on the internal and external rotation....not a Dr or therapist, just my experience 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 10/29/2021 at 12:27 PM, Tom said:

Thanks.  I'm only in my late 30's but this has been really bugging me. I've always loved bench pressing just from a vanity standpoint.  It was one of the few big lifts that came pretty easy to me and I was always good at getting some decent numbers out of it, but it may be time to just quit flat benching altogether.  Some mornings just pushing myself up out of bed on that side feels like somebody is stabbing an ice pick into my shoulder.  Lat pulldown will kind of hurt too if I go too heavy.

Yet for whatever reason I can still do a ton of pushups and not really feel much pain, but any kind of dips are absolutely not happening at this point.

4 hours ago, Dennis Taylor said:

Only thing I would say about that is even if it's only 5 lbs the downward force is bad for that area, especially if it's already compromised. The tube like I posted above allows you to work purely on the internal and external rotation....not a Dr or therapist, just my experience 

https://www.resurgens.com/news/rotator-cuff-tear-exercises

My dad, who was a physician, and I tailored my rehab ourselves. My shoulder architecture is really messed up due to a bit of a birth defect so what works for me is not always what works for others. I have had left shoulder pain my entire life, and always will. But when I lift, other than soreness, I feel much much better.

• Like 1

Came across something I've never seen before.

Guy doing incline/barbell.  I was going to do flat bench press.  His stuff was on the empty flat bench...ask if he's using the bench, he says no and moves his stuff to the empty preacher curl.

It's like he wouldn't set his bag on the ground.  Like why would you move your stuff to an empty spot, giving the impression to folks that it's in use?

Fucking weirdo.

On 11/3/2021 at 4:10 PM, pearlandhorn said:

I just recently started stopping at 90 degrees for my elbows on dumbbell presses and holy shit, my shoulders feel so much better.  I’ve never had any issues with my shoulders (33 years old) but want to take care of them as best as possible. 

DB floor press is awesome for this. Gives a physicaL stopping point so you don’t accidentally over extend. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

This roid rapist stood by the fly for 10 minutes trying to get this LSU guy's number. I asked him politely if he was finished, he said no and then spent another 10 minutes flirting ... and then after a love connection fail started his 10-minute lift-text workout.

28E1C26E-6363-4E68-B825-2966C52A72F6.jpeg

Edited by Harrison Bergeron
  • Rage+1 1

On 10/29/2021 at 10:39 AM, Tom said:

Do NOT do surgery if you can avoid it. Shoulder surgery is the absolute WOAT. I’ve had lots of broken bones, stitches, etc. from various sports injuries and other mishaps over the years. Shoulder pain, particularly after surgery is the worst of it. 
Get yourself referred to some PT. You can probably strengthen the muscle around it. 

• Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, UT_OB1 said:

@pearlandhorn

@PittsburghTiger

I’m have trouble visualizing which way you mean on the 90 degree elbow thing. And is to help your elbows or shoulders?  

For me I mean, your arm just naturally at your side with the elbow against your body.

Your lower arm/forearm out/parallel to the ground so your arm is at a 90-degree angle. Then rotate your arm out, and back, while keeping your elbow against your body.

Shoulder.

Edited by PittsburghTiger
  • Hook 'Em 2

On 1/20/2022 at 11:22 PM, Harrison Bergeron said:

This roid rapist stood by the fly for 10 minutes trying to get this LSU guy's number. I asked him politely if he was finished, he said no and then spent another 10 minutes flirting ... and then after a love connection fail started his 10-minute lift-text workout.

Why the fuck do people go to the gym to talk!?!  🤬

• Hook 'Em 1

On 1/20/2022 at 10:22 PM, Harrison Bergeron said:

stop being so nice and demand he get the fuck out of the way!

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, MontereyMXmuthafucka said:

stop being so nice and demand he get the fuck out of the way!

No shit. At some point I’ll say, “I’m just going to work in with you.” It’s a good way to see how confrontational these bros really are. Most people who are passive-aggressive dicks will back down if you assert yourself.

• Hook 'Em 1

17 hours ago, UT_OB1 said:

@pearlandhorn

@PittsburghTiger

I’m have trouble visualizing which way you mean on the 90 degree elbow thing. And is to help your elbows or shoulders?  

5 hours ago, PittsburghTiger said:

For me I mean, your arm just naturally at your side with the elbow against your body.

Your lower arm/forearm out/parallel to the ground so your arm is at a 90-degree angle. Then rotate your arm out, and back, while keeping your elbow against your body.

Shoulder.

This.

On 11/3/2021 at 11:28 AM, Dennis Taylor said:

You can overcome this by lying on your side and doing the same motion.

• Hook 'Em 1

My building has a workout room - just basic stuff treadmills, ellipticals, some machines and free weights. Its usually empty until this time of year of course. New guy starts coming in and doing 30 secs of everthing, including some wicked kick boxing moves on hanging heavy bag- all while wearing jeans and a long sleeve shirt. Far be it from me to be critical, I'm old and just trying to do basic stuff a few times a week  - but this guy is under my skin and the jeans wearing is killing me. So after I keep encountering the guy, I think maybe he cant help wearing jeans, maybe he doesnt have shorts. So I put an extra pair of shorts in my bag and sure enought the guy is working out in his jeans the next day. When he's walking out, I offer him the shorts and he accepts, so I think the problem is solved. Nope, all three days I see him last week he's still wearing jeans. I can't take it.

2 hours ago, marriedup said:

My building has a workout room - just basic stuff treadmills, ellipticals, some machines and free weights. Its usually empty until this time of year of course. New guy starts coming in and doing 30 secs of everthing, including some wicked kick boxing moves on hanging heavy bag- all while wearing jeans and a long sleeve shirt. Far be it from me to be critical, I'm old and just trying to do basic stuff a few times a week  - but this guy is under my skin and the jeans wearing is killing me. So after I keep encountering the guy, I think maybe he cant help wearing jeans, maybe he doesnt have shorts. So I put an extra pair of shorts in my bag and sure enought the guy is working out in his jeans the next day. When he's walking out, I offer him the shorts and he accepts, so I think the problem is solved. Nope, all three days I see him last week he's still wearing jeans. I can't take it.

Next time give him $50 to buy a pair of shorts.

18 hours ago, marriedup said:

I'll tell you what... there's been more than one time when I didn't have much time to work out and I walked in the gym wearing jeans giving no Fs.  I'd rather get something in wearing jeans than nothing wearing jeans.  That said, I wouldn't doing wearing a long shirt.  I'm not a psycho.

Have not visited this thread in some time.  This may be too late for some, but I cannot recommend Dr. Robert Graham in Austin enough for any of your shoulder issues.   I had a torn labrum and the first ortho I visited said 'you don't need surgery here is a cortisone shot.'  Felt better, not great for a week.  Went to Dr. Graham's office--he did not push surgery.  He instead gave recommended PT for a certain amount of time and then up to me.

I would up doing the surgery and then PT.  Absolute game changer in my life.  Could throw a baseball with my kid again with no pain.  Could put on a shirt again with both arms.  All kinds of things.  When he went in he found not just a torn labrum, but other things to 'clean up.'  Over two years later and shoulder is still doing good.  I make sure to always have light weight shoulder movements (side laterals, front raises, e.t.c.) and consider them like flossing.  Never heavy, no showing off.  All worth it, imo.

I won't lie, rehab was one of the most painful things I have ever done.  Just the PT doing simple stretches would have me nearly crying.  But in the long run was so, so worth it.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Thanks to everyone who previously replied with shoulder advice.  

Never saw a doctor but after 3 years of pain whenever I'd lift, my shoulder feels almost perfect again.  (Knock on wood).

This is just personal anecdote/self-experimentation so take it with a grain of salt, but I feel like face pulls on the cable machine with the rope attachment really accelerated my healing more than anything.  I had never done this exercise much in the past, but I started doing high rep (100 reps broken into x amount of sets), low weight face pulls every other workout and almost immediately my shoulder started feeling less tight and sore when I'd wake up every morning.  After a month or so of this, it's felt mostly fine.  I no longer have pain doing other exercises like chest presses, lateral raises, cable flies, lat pulldowns where my shoulder was bothering me before.  I think I'm safely assuming now I didn't have any real damage or tears but maybe just a muscle imbalance and inflamation that was causing the pain.  I'm still treading carefully and avoiding heavy push exercises, but so far so good.

Edit: I should clarify I also mixed in some extended fasting, since I've heard this helps with inflammation.  So I have been doing some 36-72 hr rolling water fasts periodically, which may have also helped.  Not sure what helped more or if it was just time and me finally taking it easy on the heavy pushing exercises, but something worked.

Edited by Tom
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Tom said:

Never saw a doctor but after 3 years of pain whenever I'd lift, my shoulder feels almost perfect again.  (Knock on wood).

This is just personal anecdote/self-experimentation so take it with a grain of salt, but I feel like face pulls on the cable machine with the rope attachment really accelerated my healing more than anything.  I had never done this exercise much in the past, but I started doing high rep (100 reps broken into x amount of sets), low weight face pulls every other workout and almost immediately my shoulder started feeling less tight and sore when I'd wake up every morning.  After a month or so of this, it's felt mostly fine.  I no longer have pain doing other exercises like chest presses, lateral raises, cable flies, lat pulldowns where my shoulder was bothering me before.  I think I'm safely assuming now I didn't have any real damage or tears but maybe just a muscle imbalance and inflamation that was causing the pain.  I'm still treading carefully and avoiding heavy push exercises, but so far so good.

Edit: I should clarify I also mixed in some extended fasting, since I've heard this helps with inflammation.  So I have been doing some 36-72 hr rolling water fasts periodically, which may have also helped.  Not sure what helped more or if it was just time and me finally taking it easy on the heavy pushing exercises, but something worked.

Glad you're doing better chuck norris approved GIF

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Tom said:

Submit the success story to athlean x on YouTube. Dude loves him some face pulls, but it really is the best fitness/workout channel I’ve found…. Besides the old ESPN chicks in spandex and nekkid yoga. 

• Hook 'Em 1

21 hours ago, bluto said:

Submit the success story to athlean x on YouTube. Dude loves him some face pulls, but it really is the best fitness/workout channel I’ve found…. Besides the old ESPN chicks in spandex and nekkid yoga. 

Ha, Athlean X is one of the few fitness guys I like to follow on Youtube.  Been watching him off and on for years.  I find Jeff's videos really informative, and he really breaks stuff down and explains the "why" in everything he pushes.

I also really like Eugene Teo and Ryan Humiston. Those are probably my three main Youtube fitness follows.

On 3/3/2022 at 5:31 PM, bluto said:

I think I'm safely assuming now I didn't have any real damage or tears but maybe just a muscle imbalance and inflamation that was causing the pain.  I'm still treading carefully and avoiding heavy push exercises, but so far so good

had that happen to me.  muscles were not keeping the joint tight enough and causing impingement/inflammation.  ortho Rx'd PT and the nice PT person set a good regimen of low impact weight and isometric/resistance band stuff that did the trick for me.

Tried it again later for what turned out to be a bone spur and it did not help at all.  had to get surgery to get the spur ground down.  waaay less downtime/pain than shoulder surgery to fix ligament/rotator damage.  

13 hours ago, gyroprotagonist said:

had that happen to me.  muscles were not keeping the joint tight enough and causing impingement/inflammation.  ortho Rx'd PT and the nice PT person set a good regimen of low impact weight and isometric/resistance band stuff that did the trick for me.

Tried it again later for what turned out to be a bone spur and it did not help at all.  had to get surgery to get the spur ground down.  waaay less downtime/pain than shoulder surgery to fix ligament/rotator damage.  

@gyroprotagonist talk to me about the bone spur grinding procedure. I have one in my elbow and I just can't get the inflammation/pain to a manageable point. I've taken two breaks from lifting since December and it doesn't ease up even a little. 

On 1/24/2022 at 11:23 AM, marriedup said:

it's the fact that I gave him shorts - and he's still wearing jeans. I thought I solved the problem, but now I'm irritated he took my shorts and still isnt wearing them!

This guy sounds awesome. 

On 11/3/2021 at 2:10 PM, texasdago said:

I avoid barbell presses like the plague... my shoulder is not happy doing them.  Really like dumbbell presses as I can get relatively heavy on them (up to 80 lbs on top set without a spotter) without getting hurt.  I only weigh a buck fifty so that's a good weight for me.  For warm-ups, I use those rubber tube band things to gradually warm up my muscles.  Makes a big difference.  Never start cold.

I have made a change in my workouts for 2022. I have stopped doing anything heavy on barbell benching. I just do 25s, or 35s, on each side and I do close grip benching. I do some heavier stuff on the machines as I have no reason anymore to bench over 200 pounds. I was just getting too sore. I am also stopping at 50s for when I do flat bench dumbbells. I still feel it but, without the pain.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...