Gym Pet Peeves

Ldogg53

39 minutes ago, Pancho Negro said:

Seems the popular thing to do now is walk around the gym with no shoes on. 

I can (maybe) understand and give a pass to those who do squats with no shoes on, but let's keep the no shoes thing at the squat rack. 

I can't even give them a pass for that.  If you are aware enough to know that you shouldn't be squatting heavy in tennis shoes, you are aware enough to buy some lifting shoes.

• 2 weeks later...

Attention Olds, if you are going to share a swimming lane with me then get the fuck over to your side. Better yet, use a lane with one of the other Olds who basically just float around like a dead whale instead of going to the open pool area, I'm actually trying to swim.

Edited by GSU&UT
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, GSU&UT said:

Attention Olds, if you are going to share a swimming lane with me then get the fuck over to your side. Better yet, use a lane with one of the other Olds who basically just float around like a dead whale instead of going to the open pool area, I'm actually trying to swim.

img_12991.jpg

• Like 4

On 3/28/2018 at 11:12 AM, Llogg said:

Curious what the consensus is on this. I track my workouts on my phone so I'm better sets I've got it out. I have it set to give an alarm after a minute between sets. Is that too long to be sitting there "jacking around on my phone"?

Just decided to read this thread, sorry for the old quote - I have a 2:30 timer on mine. Is that too long?

On 8/9/2018 at 1:03 PM, Gene Parmesan said:

While it's not necessarily a pet peeve I do get a chuckle at the folks reading a book on a stationary bike.  If you are that bored maybe get off the bike and do something else, or crank up the intensity.

I dunno, I weights then the bike for half an hour after. I have a HR monitor, so I just make sure I'm in the range I want then I catch up on newspaper or whatever while I  bike. 

24 minutes ago, TexOx said:

I swear to Christ there’s a guy who has never done an actual, full, complete rep of any exercise ever. 

Is this the same guy that spends 30 minutes loading 720lb on the leg press machine and then proceeds to does 3"  squats?

On ‎9‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 7:21 PM, GSU&UT said:

If I may digress ... does not warrant a new thread ...

What is the protocol here? I have starting adding swimming into the mix, but was not sure if protocol was one lane / swimmer or sharing was copacetic. Thanks in advance. #tryingreallyhardtonotbetheguythatendsuponthisthread

4 hours ago, Kyle said:

If I may digress ... does not warrant a new thread ...

What is the protocol here? I have starting adding swimming into the mix, but was not sure if protocol was one lane / swimmer or sharing was copacetic. Thanks in advance. #tryingreallyhardtonotbetheguythatendsuponthisthread

You should be expected to share if all lanes have at least one person, but no more than two should be using a lane imo. I always stick to a side, never do circle swim.

The problem I have is that we use the pool at a JCC since they have drop-in daycare for our daughter and therefore 80% of the swimmers are over 70 and just basically float in the water in the middle of the lane instead of trying to swim on their side. There is an open swimming area and a lane for physical therapy where you're not expected to swim laps, but somehow these old guys always choose my lane to float around in.

Edited by GSU&UT

12 hours ago, High Plains Drifter said:

Depends on the pool, but often there are a couple of dedicated circle swimming lanes.

That seems so chaotic to me unless you're swimming with someone who is just as in/out of shape as you are. I don't want to have to swim at a different pace.

18 hours ago, Kyle said:

Agree with the above with one caveat.   If you are eons faster or slower then you should share with someone of equal quality.  If someone comes to share my lane and they are clearly not a very good swimmer and are going to float I will kindly tell them that I'd would be best if they waited or picked someone else because I'm doing a lot of stroke and race pace sets.  Most people recognize this and I seldom get asked to split.

Edited by midtown

2 minutes ago, luke duke said:

Is circumcision a requirement to swim. Asking for a friend.

Possibly, I get to see every single old dude's junk in the locker room since they all seemingly have bets to see who can be fully naked the longest. I'll try to see if we have any that are wearing hoods.

On 10/4/2018 at 10:02 AM, midtown said:

There is no reason to circle unless you are working out with a team where every lane has more than two people and everyone is at a similar pace.  Constantly lapping someone is a pain in the ass

Flip turning is easier. You can fit more into a lane. If everyone pays attention and doesn't act like a self-centered asshole or a retard, passing is easy. And yes, lanes should be segregated by ability or speed.

• 1 month later...

So this morning I walk up to a squat rack, adjacent another rack. No one is on the other rack ATM. I proceed to start putting one 45 per side, there are no 45s one of my rack side next to other rack. However there is one on the floor and 2 on the rack and 135 on the barbell. I proceed to pickup the one plate on the ground and a dude comes flying from 50 ft away, “Put that Back, I need that!”  I ask about the other two 45 on the rack, and he’s “I Need those too”. They aren’t on the bar, just on the rack. So I point to another rack 20 ft away and i say “do u need those too?”  Then I get “you don’t have to be a smart ass”. 

I move on and finish a whole workout and the guy is sitting there with all the weight on the squat bar just visiting  he walks away, visits some more  it wasn’t till after I’d showered and was leaving he moves to leg press  solid hour with 8 plates just admiring  he has two knee braces and squat belt too  

28 minutes ago, 4thgenhorn said:

“Put that Back, I need that!”

That's when you just keep putting the weights on the bar and tell him he can have them when you're done.  I'm done with that crap. You don't get to "save" three benches and five dumbbell sets in any gym but your own.  And it's usually some piss ant wanna be. Most of the serious lifters know gym etiquette. 

• 1 month later...

This thread died but we have January on the horizon. These are not peeves but things that make me chuckle/smirk: 

Orgasm guy. If you are lifting heavy, by all means let out a grunt or 2. If it sounds like you are about to ejac, people are going to laugh.

Hoodie on/hoodie up. It's just funny. 

Talking to your girl via bluetooth as you do dumbbell curls. Why bother.

The gym being packed on Monday and empty on Friday will never get old. College bros home between semesters does.

On 11/12/2018 at 1:16 PM, Newdoc said:

That's when you just keep putting the weights on the bar and tell him he can have them when you're done.  I'm done with that crap. You don't get to "save" three benches and five dumbbell sets in any gym but your own.  And it's usually some piss ant wanna be. Most of the serious lifters know gym etiquette. 

This is the correct answer. 

I usually follow up with "oh, so you're taking up multiple spots around the gym which is preventing others from working out?"

"Well Pancho, I'm doing a superset [or some other dumbass workout they got on bodybuilding.com]"

"oh cool, well there's no one here right now and you're way over there doing other stuff, so I'm going to keep working out here because NO ONE is working out here.  When I'm done, then you can have it."