Gym Pet Peeves

Ldogg53

13 hours ago, midtown said:

Currently in a planet fitness. Lifetime charging $100 got ridiculous. So far so good. It's douche bag free and surprisingly it has some talent. Clean and not crowded.

Most of the people at planet fitness are the ones that don't work out, but like to say that they have a gym membership. 

5 hours ago, Longboard Horn said:

Most of the people at planet fitness are the ones that don't work out, but like to say that they have a gym membership. 

This is Planet Fitness' business model and it works....$10-$30/month and they rarely go to the gym.  I'm just jealous that I don't own one.

17 hours ago, midtown said:

If anything it's a nice change of pace to get me back in the gym. They have everything I need at this point in my gym life.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6000 using Tapatalk

That's pretty much my line of thinking with Anytime Fitness. 

I worked out at Barksdale AFB recently and for a brief second, it had me wanting to join an actual gym again.

5 hours ago, BladeRunnerRock said:

That's pretty much my line of thinking with Anytime Fitness. 

Been going to Anytime on Guadalupe for about a year now.  Has everything I need in terms of free weights, machines, and cardio equipment, and is pretty much douche free.  Only downside is there's not as many hot chicks, although I get to the gym at 5am, which tends to thin out the herd overall.

The final straw at Lifetime wasn't really the price it was more that they are hell bent on turning into a crossfit gym.   The yoga pant skull cap wearing dudes in bright orange shoes and girls who were 100% only lifting to take pictures was more than I could handle.   Throw in what seemed like more and more equipment was down for repair.   I will miss not having to take a towel, and other amenities like the steam showers and pool facilities.  

On 5/18/2019 at 1:08 PM, midtown said:

Currently in a planet fitness. Lifetime charging $100 got ridiculous. So far so good. It's douche bag free and surprisingly it has some talent. Clean and not crowded.

Is it true they have no bench presses and free weights beyond 65lbs?

1 minute ago, 6th Street said:

Is it true they have no bench presses and free weights beyond 65lbs?

I didn't see weights that heavy but I didn't really look for them so its probably true based on the fact that the weight rack is rather small but there are dumbbells and benches to use to lift.     I used to lift in that range but with age and wear and tear on my shoulders I can't really lift that heavy anymore.    Which is fine because now exercise studies show you can get the exact same results with lighter weights than you can with heavy weights which is less stress on the body. 

5 hours ago, South Austin said:

Been going to Anytime on Guadalupe for about a year now.  Has everything I need in terms of free weights, machines, and cardio equipment, and is pretty much douche free.  Only downside is there's not as many hot chicks, although I get to the gym at 5am, which tends to thin out the herd overall.

What is the cost? Do they have any power racks?

7 hours ago, midtown said:

I didn't see weights that heavy but I didn't really look for them so its probably true based on the fact that the weight rack is rather small but there are dumbbells and benches to use to lift.     I used to lift in that range but with age and wear and tear on my shoulders I can't really lift that heavy anymore.    Which is fine because now exercise studies show you can get the exact same results with lighter weights than you can with heavy weights which is less stress on the body. 

Interesting. Do you plan on going for the free little Caesars pizza on first Tuesdays if every month?

1 hour ago, 6th Street said:

Interesting. Do you plan on going for the free little Caesars pizza on first Tuesdays if every month?

I don't understand this.  Is it a joke or a movie?

So your claim is that , for example,  doing dumbbell curls wth 10# will give someone the exact same results as 40#? 

It's not my claim its several studies that showed that as long as the person exhausts the muscles they will have the same result.   Maybe read up a little before you refute it since you clearly have no idea.

Edited by midtown
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, midtown said:

It's not my claim its several studies that showed that as long as the person exhausts the muscles they will have the same result.   Maybe read up a little before you refute it since you clearly have no idea.

So by that same postulate,  marathoners and sprinters would have the same results also?

3 hours ago, midtown said:

Post the studies please

the studies i've seen are that 1 set of 5 reps to failure (so, maxing out) results in the same strength gains as the standard 5x5 or 5x8.  not the same mass gain (more reps means bigger but not stronger), though.   

granted, that's as reported, so it's probably botched. 

10 hours ago, midtown said:

Planet Fitness has Pizza Mondays and bagel Tuesdays. No joke 

https://www.planetfitness.com/community/articles/real-story-behind-planet-fitness-pizza-monday

13 minutes ago, midtown said:

Some lazy ass mfrs in here.  It was on the first page of the googles

https://builtwithscience.com/light-weights-heavy-weights/

Did you read the article?

"To sum it all up, utilize the benefits of lifting heavy weights by lifting heavy in the low to moderate rep range on your compound lifts. Focus on getting stronger with these movements. Add in drop sets, reverse pyramid sets, and higher rep sets on accessory movements with light weights to induce more metabolic stress."

"Which is fine because now exercise studies show you can get the exact same results with lighter weights than you can with heavy weights which is less stress on the body"

one of those things is not like the other 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, midtown said:

Some lazy ass mfrs in here.  It was on the first page of the googles

https://builtwithscience.com/light-weights-heavy-weights/

To sum it all up, utilize the benefits of lifting heavy weights by lifting heavy in the low to moderate rep range on your compound lifts. Focus on getting stronger with these movements. Add in drop sets, reverse pyramid sets, and higher rep sets on accessory movements with light weights to induce more metabolic stress.

This is kinda what I do.  Higher weight, lower reps for compound exercises, which start my workout, followed by lower weight and higher reps for the support muscles (e.g., triceps after chest and shoulders, biceps after back).  But even with the compound exercises, I'm going more for the 8 rep range than 5-6. 

And at 44, I'm not trying to get huge.  I've found that going heavy in the 5 or less rep range can compromise my form, and at my age, form is everything.  Like Lester Burnham said in American Beauty:

Lester Burnham : I figured you guys might be able to give me some pointers. I need to shape up. Fast.

Jim Olmeyer : Are you just looking to lose weight, or do you want increased strength and flexibility as well?

Lester Burnham : I want to look good naked!

Edited by South Austin

11 hours ago, midtown said:

How come me no look like Arnold Schwarzenegger and Bruce Lees love child then?

Oh yeah, freaking old as dirt..nmd 

22 minutes ago, Quagmire said:

Every time I’m at the gym I have a dream that one of the hot chicks gets done working out then asks for my help in the shower.

It’s gonna happen one day, I know it

Quagmire: So she plops down right on the shower floor and she looks up at me and says 'I think I'm in the mood.'

midtown: She said that? What did you say?

Quagmire: I didn't have to say anything.

Dennis Taylor: Whatcha do?

Quagmire: What do you think I did?

Dennis Taylor: I think you got the hell out of there, ran home, and wacked off.

midtown: [makes a wacking off noise with his cheek] 

South Austin: I disagree.

[to Quagmire] 

South Austin: Did you have your bike there?

Quagmire: Yeah.

South Austin: I think you jumped on your bike, peddled home, and wacked off!

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, South Austin said:

Quagmire: So she plops down right on the shower floor and she looks up at me and says 'I think I'm in the mood.'

midtown: She said that? What did you say?

Quagmire: I didn't have to say anything.

Dennis Taylor: Whatcha do?

Quagmire: What do you think I did?

Dennis Taylor: I think you got the hell out of there, ran home, and wacked off.

midtown: [makes a wacking off noise with his cheek] 

South Austin: I disagree.

[to Quagmire] 

South Austin: Did you have your bike there?

Quagmire: Yeah.

South Austin: I think you jumped on your bike, peddled home, and wacked off!

The only people I know that record themselves working out are women, who constantly post it on instagram. I get it. You deadlift. Sincerely, that's very great. But you don't need to remind everyone of it once a week. 

Speaking of deadlifting, there's a guy who is in "not very good shape" at the Oak Hill YMCA who was trying to deadlift 345lbs on Monday with a totally bent back. He tried to get it up once but quit when the bar got just below his knee cap. He eventually did a 2 rep set but I thought he was gonna blow out his back and we were gonna have to call an amberlamps. I don't think the dude knows what he's doing. What would have been the right move there? Tell him he's gonna blow his fucking back out if he doesn't lighten the weight? Or just let him be a dumbass and hurt himself?  

1 minute ago, irishtexan said:

What would have been the right move there? Tell him he's gonna blow his fucking back out if he doesn't lighten the weight? Or just let him be a dumbass and hurt himself?  

I see people with shitty form all the time, and I just let them be shitty.  Usually it's younger guys who compromise form for heavy weights, and instead of looking impressive, they look like fucksticks trying to swing their whole body to perform half-reps. 

Regarding video, I've never had that request, but a couple weeks ago a woman walked up to me in the middle of a workout and asked me to take photographs of her from the front, sides and back.  I'm sure it was part of before/after photos to track her progress, but my personality type thinks its odd to ask a random stranger to take pictures of you in the middle of a gym. 

1 minute ago, South Austin said:

I see people with shitty form all the time, and I just let them be shitty.  Usually it's younger guys who compromise form for heavy weights, and instead of looking impressive, they look like fucksticks trying to swing their whole body to perform half-reps. 

Regarding video, I've never had that request, but a couple weeks ago a woman walked up to me in the middle of a workout and asked me to take photographs of her from the front, sides and back.  I'm sure it was part of before/after photos to track her progress, but my personality type thinks its odd to ask a random stranger to take pictures of you in the middle of a gym. 

Yeah. I've never even considered correcting someone else's shitty form before because, like you said, it's usually skinny teenagers doing curls swinging a 60lb bar up with their hips. Who cares? But this dude was in imminent danger of seriously hurting himself. 

Gym people are weird. 

11 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

What would have been the right move there? Tell him he's gonna blow his fucking back out if he doesn't lighten the weight? Or just let him be a dumbass and hurt himself?  

Tell him in a totally non-judgemental way you're worried for him, and offer to help.  If he accepts it, cool.  If he does not, make sure he's there when he inevitably hurts himself.  So you can make fun.

Even in that situation, I probably wouldn't step in, unless I actually saw something like weights about to fall on somebody.  But if someone is about to fuck up their back because of horrible form doing squats or deadlifts, I mind my own business.  I don't fee like that makes me an asshole, but I've been occasionally wrong on that topic.

36 minutes ago, South Austin said:

Even in that situation, I probably wouldn't step in, unless I actually saw something like weights about to fall on somebody.  But if someone is about to fuck up their back because of horrible form doing squats or deadlifts, I mind my own business.  I don't fee like that makes me an asshole, but I've been occasionally wrong on that topic.

Agreed. The only exception I'd offer is if its a younger person who looks clueless. A while ago there was this kid who was around 16 or so squatting way too much for him and I went over to help so he wouldn't snap in half. Outside of that...if the person is old enough to realize whats going on...fuck'em

Yeah, if I see someone having bad form or doing something incorrectly, I just keep to myself unless they ask.

I've had to "save" a few high schoolers lately on bench and incline as they are lifting way too much for them.  They weigh 115lbs and think they can bench 185.