Gym Pet Peeves

Ldogg53

This fucking cable chest press machine at my gym. The plates stick together so that if you do anything less than the full stack (and I don't do anything close to the full stack) a quarter into your first rep you suddenly drop ten pounds and make a loud ass noise. The plate where the pin is set stays up but the one below it drops off. Every fucking time.

1 hour ago, Llogg said:

This fucking cable chest press machine at my gym. The plates stick together so that if you do anything less than the full stack (and I don't do anything close to the full stack) a quarter into your first rep you suddenly drop ten pounds and make a loud ass noise. The plate where the pin is set stays up but the one below it drops off. Every fucking time.

That called a drop set bro...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Llogg said:

You sound weak bro...

• 2 weeks later...

Monday, I had finished with flat bench dumbbell benching, then regular flat bench. I wanted to go over to the bench pressing machine and do some reps, a guy is on his phone, sitting on the bench press machine.

Today, after my four miles on the treadmill I wanted to go right over to the leg press machine and do an extended set, but there is a guy sitting on the machine, not pressing, rather he was texting.

For fuck's sake, for two hours leave your phone at home.

34 minutes ago, PittsburghTiger said:

Monday, I had finished with flat bench dumbbell benching, then regular flat bench. I wanted to go over to the bench pressing machine and do some reps, a guy is on his phone, sitting on the bench press machine.

Today, after my four miles on the treadmill I wanted to go right over to the leg press machine and do an extended set, but there is a guy sitting on the machine, not pressing, rather he was texting.

You can actually text (or check Surly) during a workout and still not be a douchebag if you let someone else work in with you.

54 minutes ago, PittsburghTiger said:

mix in some incline bro...

Machines are the Devil. He did you a favor.

32 minutes ago, Dennis Taylor said:

hammer strength machine dips- yes. if i could show you a pic of what i did to my bicep insertion 3 years ago, you would lose your lunch. so actual weighted dips- hell no.     

You do enough arm curls in the mirror, bruh, and things like that don't happen.

3 hours ago, Dennis Taylor said:

mix in some incline bro...

My left shoulder can’t take that. Nor can it take decline.

3 hours ago, Parliament said:
4 hours ago, PittsburghTiger said:

Read more  

Machines are the Devil. He did you a favor.

I like doing the leg press machine right after getting off the treadmill.  I do a nice set of 100, no stopping. The seated bench machine is nice because I can do a few sets after doing free weights.  Kind of cool down sets with no cheating 

29 minutes ago, Dennis Taylor said:

try incline dumbbell press or hammer strength incline, should be easier on the shoulders than barbell incline 

23 minutes ago, lateshow said:

This ^

I don’t have a fully formed trapezius muscle on my left side. I’ve also torn both rotators, both in 2010, and I know what my shoulders can do/take.

It’s a constant battle to not overwhelm the left shoulder.

The left was torn when I sneezed, while benching. The right was torn a month later as I was hiking/climbing through rocks in Georgia.

Although, I appreciate the advice.

At times I do incline bench on the Smith Machine, I believe that is what it is called. It gives me some stability in that the left side can’t wander.

Edited by PittsburghTiger

4 minutes ago, PittsburghTiger said:

I don’t have a fully formed trapezius muscle on my left side. I’ve also torn both rotators, both in 2010, and I know what my shoulders can do/take.

The left was torn when I sneezed, while benching. The right was torn a month later as I was hiking/climbing through rocks in Georgia.

At times I do incline bench on the Smith Machine, I believe that is what it is called. It gives me some stability in that the left side can’t wander.

gotcha- that sounds like it sucks  

5 minutes ago, PittsburghTiger said:

maybe god is telling you to stop working out.

12 minutes ago, Dennis Taylor said:

gotcha- that sounds like it sucks  

Eh, it’s not so bad. I just have to be mindful 

12 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

maybe god is telling you to stop working out.

No, the opposite is true. It feels better when I lift, and don’t overwhelm it. It’s a fine line. I got my bench back up to 200, not bad for an old bastard of 52

• 2 weeks later...

One of my pet peeves: when someone grunts and yells while lifting and doesn't stop until everyone is looking at them. 

Guy was doing that last night at the gym I go to. Then while me and a few other guys are curling over by the dumbbell racks, he takes off his shirt and starts flexing and posing in the mirror. I'm like, "hey, you are aware of the posing room over there right?" *points to posing room by the bathrooms.

11 hours ago, PittsburghTiger said:

It's not a Pet Peeve, but I find it funny when people only do upper body. They have chicken legs, and a ripped upper torso. 

And now I go to the gym.

My chicken legs are a byproduct of genetics. I work them out harder than anything, and they get stronger, but they don’t grow. Or at least my calves don’t grow. They show more muscle definition, but they are extremely disproportionate to the rest of my body.

My chicken legs are a byproduct of genetics. I work them out harder than anything, and they get stronger, but they don’t grow. Or at least my calves don’t grow. They show more muscle definition, but they are extremely disproportionate to the rest of my body.
Mix it up with reps, weights and rest intervals. Ie, try lower weights and higher reps.

"Genetics" is an excuse used by fat women and skinny men.

30 minutes ago, Parliament said:

Mix it up with reps, weights and rest intervals. Ie, try lower weights and higher reps.

"Genetics" is an excuse used by fat women and skinny men.

So you don’t think genetics can play a huge factor in the size of your legs? I’m not talking about anything upper body or abs, but specifically the size of your legs. I know so many people that don’t work out who look like they have a fucking grapefruit stuck in their calves. I track my macros, calories, etc. Every other part of my body has grown significantly since I started working out in college. I push my legs harder than any other part of my body, if for no other reason, because I’m a little self conscious. They just don’t grow. 

And I definitely mix it up with weight, reps, and rest intervals, like I would with any other part of my body. That almost goes without saying, IMO.

15 hours ago, youdunnf'dup said:

So you don’t think genetics can play a huge factor in the size of your legs? I’m not talking about anything upper body or abs, but specifically the size of your legs. I know so many people that don’t work out who look like they have a fucking grapefruit stuck in their calves. I track my macros, calories, etc. Every other part of my body has grown significantly since I started working out in college. I push my legs harder than any other part of my body, if for no other reason, because I’m a little self conscious. They just don’t grow. 

And I definitely mix it up with weight, reps, and rest intervals, like I would with any other part of my body. That almost goes without saying, IMO.

Quads are great.  Jeans rip all the time.  Good problem.  Still do 315 for good reps on bench.  No spotter.  But calves lag.  They’re not bad just disproportionate.  That’s one muscle that you can train to death and still lags due to genetics.  ‘Mixing it up’ has helped but they are what they are.  

• Like 2