#1 in the Big 12

Michael Knight

31 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Michigan probably jumps us as well. Georgia man not fall past us either because "quality SEC loss". #8 is my bet

yeah but Georgia didn't barely lose, they got destroyed.  Won't matter because teams will jump us anyways because Texas has a bye next week so it'll either be this weekend or next when they move up.  

Edited by Mdhorn

Stupid to be speculating about this but I think we’d be first team out of CFP if we win out. Georgia will get a second loss in SEC championship game and will be eliminated.  Ohio state will give Michigan their second loss and eliminate them. LSU will get a second loss to Alabama and eliminate them. Washington is out. That would leave Alabama, Clemson, ND, Ohio State then Texas. I don’t think Clemson or ND are actually very good but they have a very favorable schedule.

Again, stupid to speculate because I suspect We lose to tech in Lubbock.

Edited by Billy Pilgrim

17 minutes ago, Billy Pilgrim said:

Stupid to be speculating about this but I think we’d be first team out of CFP if we win out. Georgia will get a second loss in SEC championship game and will be eliminated.  Ohio state will give Michigan their second loss and eliminate them. LSU will get a second loss to Alabama and eliminate them. Washington is out. That would leave Alabama, Clemson, ND, Ohio State then Texas. I don’t think Clemson or ND are actually very good but they have a very favorable schedule.

Good call.

We fall to Tech, OSU, or WVU

21 minutes ago, Billy Pilgrim said:

Not that I think we win out, but I think only two teams or less will be undefeated by the end of the year. The ACC is weak, but Clemson has found ways to lose to far inferior teams in the past two years. I think Ohio St could go undefeated, but Michigan keeps looking better and better. Ohio St has been beating up on some bad to mediocre defenses all year, and it'll be interesting to see what they can do against a for sure top 5 unit in the Michigan defense. Bama should go undefeated, but Tiger Stadium at night is no joke, especially against a really good LSU team. Notre Dame will find a way to lose this year; they're already showing cracks in their o-line.

8 hours ago, Red Five said:

After getting a good look at WV tonight, I’d be surprised by anything other than a Texas OU CCG.

Also a CCG when every team has already played each other is moronic, and might cost one of those teams a playoff spot this year.

Is that a bad thing?

For Texas to have a shot at the playoffs, they need another win over a highly ranked team like ou at the end of the year. It’s hard to overcome the MD loss and all our good wins get tainted as the seasons goes on. If Texas beats ou to take their spot, I’m perfectly fine with that. I wouldn’t cry foul if they beat us and were left out either.

I don’t think either team has a legit shot at the playoffs, and both would get killed, but the CCG works in our favor this year. If we were undefeated, then I’d agree.

Trying to figure out what would be worse:  The Big 12 losing a chance at the playoffs because the only team with a shot loses the CCG or the CCG featuring two teams with multiple losses and no chance at the playoffs.
This conference doesn't make much sense to me, but it's starting to feel like a lot of upsets will happen just based on match ups.

To be honest Texas probably won’t make the playoffs without the CCG anyways. Maybe not OU either.

That Maryland loss will always be talked about no matter how early it was or how good they’ve played since.

With so many other teams in front of Texas’s even if some lose a game, it’ll take Texas/OU winning out and winning the CCG to really get into the playoffs imo.

5 hours ago, Billy Pilgrim said:

I can see all of that happening.   Pretty good take. That would put us in sugar bowl vs Georgia, assuming we won B12

Edited by jdhorn92

This team pretty good and has potential.  The team has some real talent at certain positions yet is severely lacking in execution and consistency.  To date, there has not been a four quarter, gun-to-gun domination of any opponent. 

I'm glad to have a good record.  The current #9 ranking is flattering but seems a little hollow; almost like pollsters are looking for good names with decent records.  A #9 or higher ranking is a heavy burden to carry, especially for an immature team like ours.  It will take every bit of effort, concentration and focus to win out. 

It would be a joy to watch it. 

5 hours ago, George Clooney said:

Not that I think we win out, but I think only two teams or less will be undefeated by the end of the year. The ACC is weak, but Clemson has found ways to lose to far inferior teams in the past two years. I think Ohio St could go undefeated, but Michigan keeps looking better and better. Ohio St has been beating up on some bad to mediocre defenses all year, and it'll be interesting to see what they can do against a for sure top 5 unit in the Michigan defense. Bama should go undefeated, but Tiger Stadium at night is no joke, especially against a really good LSU team. Notre Dame will find a way to lose this year; they're already showing cracks in their o-line.

Notre Dame loses to at least one of: Northwestern, Syracuse, USC

Preferably they lose to Northwestern & Syracuse and then squeak by USC... and Bru McCoy decides to head to Austin.

11 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

Notre Dame loses to at least one of: Northwestern, Syracuse, USC

Preferably they lose to Northwestern & Syracuse and then squeak by USC... and Bru McCoy decides to head to Austin.

I forgot that ND still has to play USC who is starting to look a little more competent offensively 

1 hour ago, Spankytoes said:

Is that a bad thing?

For Texas to have a shot at the playoffs, they need another win over a highly ranked team like ou at the end of the year. It’s hard to overcome the MD loss and all our good wins get tainted as the seasons goes on. If Texas beats ou to take their spot, I’m perfectly fine with that. I wouldn’t cry foul if they beat us and were left out either.

I don’t think either team has a legit shot at the playoffs, and both would get killed, but the CCG works in our favor this year. If we were undefeated, then I’d agree.

For Texas, two things have to happen. 1) We have to win out. We have another dangerous 4-game stretch after the bye, and it only takes only one stumble now to eliminate us. 2) One of the spots has to come open. Currently, the best way for that to happen is a loss by either ND or Clemson. It could also happen if neither tOSU nor Michigan wins out. Of course, a one-loss Bama would preempt us for any opening.

In any case, our resume can’t get enough better or worse to change the calculus. It is more about who wins out among Texas, ND, Clemson, and Bama.

Edited by Magus Ossis
Or -> nor

I’m also in the camp of winning the Big 12 championship or anything beyond being amazing gravy at this point...especially based on my expectations coming into the season (& even more so as we walked out of that toilet of a stadium in Maryland). However, how great is it to once again at least be in the conversation nationally?

3f2b62a34a928e3a44fca8e06c39f424.jpg

9 hours ago, Thetexashammer said:

Do you know what solves this problem?

Our resume, if we win out, puts us in the playoffs. Wash is gone so PAC 12 eliminated, UGa loses to Bama so not two from the SEC. Notre Dame looks really vulnerable, one loss and they're done. Win out we are in the CCG. Then it's a coin toss to beat OU again.

But no doubt we have the resume. Nobody else will have played our schedule and beaten so many ranked teams.

If LSU wins out, they are in.  Likewise UGA, though less likely.  And if Bama loses only to LSU and misses CCG, look for them to make it again like last year.

1 hour ago, mdleast said:

I’m also in the camp of winning the Big 12 championship or anything beyond being amazing gravy at this point...especially based on my expectations coming into the season (& even more so as we walked out of that toilet of a stadium in Maryland). However, how great is it to once again at least be in the conversation nationally?

3f2b62a34a928e3a44fca8e06c39f424.jpg

It is indeed awesome to be in the conversation again.  I think everyone agrees that don’t feel like a top 5 or 8 team but it’s not like anyone else is making a better case for our spot. On a day when the top 10 shit the bed we just soiled ourselves a bit bit got the win. 

I expected a ceiling of 8-4, maybe 9-3 for this team.  Now 9-3 is about the floor.  I'd love to win the B12 but it's great just being where we are right now.  This team is actually fun to watch (for about 3 quarters per game, anyway).

I'm enjoying the season, and it's only going to get better.  

10 minutes ago, utee94 said:

I expected a ceiling of 8-4, maybe 9-3 for this team.  Now 9-3 is about the floor.  I'd love to win the B12 but it's great just being where we are right now.  This team is actually fun to watch (for about 3 quarters per game, anyway).

I think 8-4 is the floor if Sam's injury is serious.

Who do you think we lose to from here on out?

14 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Agree. Let’s hope that we clean a lot up during the bye week and we start to see this team play complete games. I think they are close.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Treefidy said:

If LSU wins out, they are in.  Likewise UGA, though less likely.  And if Bama loses only to LSU and misses CCG, look for them to make it again like last year.

That's really SEC biased. In other words it makes quite a bit of sense. However, and SEC team not named Bama has a loss, so 2 losses (to Bama in the SEC CCG) make it really unlikely they go. Allegedly.

Might come down to SEC, ND, B1G, and one of Texas or Clemson.

The really good news is we have to lose twice to be out of our CCG. Which could happen and wouldn't be surprising.

But to repeat, we have to win out. It really doesn't matter about the rest of them. I mean, what are the odds? 

Edited by Thetexashammer

I've already stated before WVU in November doesn't scare me and last night just reinforced it. I get the concerns of playing at tech but if they're playing that same QB from Thursday night, we'll be fine. Corn is playing good but it's not a Thursday night in Ames. It may be an uncomfortable win, especially if the whole "play to your competition" attitude is still there but at that point in the season, I don't see us losing at home. OSU doesn't scare me in the slightest. 

Of course, this is all predicated on Sam's health. The bye week couldn't have come at a better time. If Sam comes back healthy, I can see us cruising to Jerryworld. 

I used to try to rush through the season ahead of time, applying what-if scenarios here, and lamenting potential losses there.

As I've gotten older (and I'm definitely over 40 and therefore a man), I've worked to appreciate the games themselves, a lot more.  The same way I loved the games as a kid, and didn't ever worry about how it might affect the post-season.  For me at least, iIt's actually a lot more fun to follow a football team when you're only thinking about what's happening on the field of play, between the white lines, down after down.  Watching the successes (and failures) of each individual player.  Watching the group learn to operate as a team, learn to execute consistently, learn to trust one another-- those are the things I find most enjoyable now.

Well, that and watching Gary Johnson blow up a motherfucker.

Anyway, that's just my opinion.  But I dislike that the focus of college football has become more about conference revenue, and TV ratings, and relative conference strength, and who's going to make it into the playoffs.  I dislike the way the national focus has rendered it almost joyless for many people just to watch the game itself.  People lament a close win over Baylor, rather than enjoying the fact that for a second week in a row, the players denied the opposition what would have been a glorious comeback.

I'm watching the games themselves differently now, and honestly it's a lot more pleasant than the way ESPN and the mediots are trying to force us to consume the product they're attempting to sell.

Just my opinion, obviously.

Edited by utee94
  • Like 3

This is a very good call indeed, and Oregon isn’t winning out so there won’t be anyone from Pac12

2 minutes ago, Steamboat1874 said:

The toughest regular season game left in my opinion is Tech in Lubbock.

if Sam gets back we will not lose to ISU at home and I don't think we lose to WV here either.

Agree and okie st is very average though i am sure we will get their best shot

5 minutes ago, Sgt Hulk said:

I fixed it. It was supposed to be OSU. Fat fingered 

Oklahoma State is a mess right now. Getting blown out buy the second worst team in the conference yesterday is not exactly a sign that they will fair well against OU. 

3 hours ago, deadshank said:

This team pretty good and has potential.  The team has some real talent at certain positions yet is severely lacking in execution and consistency.  To date, there has not been a four quarter, gun-to-gun domination of any opponent. 

I'm glad to have a good record.  The current #9 ranking is flattering but seems a little hollow; almost like pollsters are looking for good names with decent records.  A #9 or higher ranking is a heavy burden to carry, especially for an immature team like ours.  It will take every bit of effort, concentration and focus to win out. 

It would be a joy to watch it. 

Have you seen the other teams?  There is no 2005 Texas out there

10 minutes ago, Steamboat1874 said:

if Sam gets back we will not lose to ISU at home and I don't think we lose to WV here either.

SHOW ME A LOSS

are you also considering blowU again on a neutral site?

11 minutes ago, Steamboat1874 said:

Don't get me wrong, Tech has a decent defense. Good to very good by the conference's standards. But that QB on Thursday is... not very good. 

ND and Michigan will lose at least one more each.

In the Big 12, WV will lose one or two more so I see us playing OU again in the champ.

Just saw where they showed Texas having the 2nd hardest strength of schedule and OU the 16th. They gave us 2% chance of making playoffs and OU 22% chance. While I know we won’t make it in, I don’t see how OU has a 20% better chance than us. No big12 making it this year.