Blowing some of your kid's inheritance....DIY Tiny Home/Love Shack

BillyGoatHill

So I recently discovered @Bones3421 topic of his redoing a schoolbus into a tiny home. I didn't want to derail his thread but when I posted about his project, I mentioned ours that we did last year. There has been some interest about what we did and as long as I can continue to post some pics (I have the oldz), I figured I would start this. It is still a bit of an ongoing project, but it is usable now.

IMG-2976.jpgIMG-2987.jpgIMG-4390.jpgIMG-4389.jpg

• Like 4

The structure was found on Craigslist. A guy out of Kerrville had done 3-4 of these prior to the one that we bought from him ( he did one more then moved back to Ohio or Indiana, where he was from).  New 2x4 framed walls with 2x6 floor joists underneath. I used Craigslist as it was easy to get ideas and also see what frames/shells were going for and he was priced similar. We really liked that he used old barnwood for the exterior and rustic tin for the roof as this was the look that we were going for. While I could have built the frame myself, it was easier to start with something already built. He set up delivery which was basically his cost for the move....

• Like 1

Though we haven't covered the front deck/porch yet, kind of wanted to copy the look from Luckenbach. Lots of clear space in our back yard so it was pretty easy to unload the building onto cinder blocks and get a crude level. Those would be replaced by running long joists underneath from front to back (floor joists run side/side). It was then pretty easy to level and shim using 8 ton car jacks just starting from the front and moving to the back. Wife wasn't too happy with me doing this by myself and her being gone, but it went pretty quick.  If doing again, I would just build and level the foundation for a deck and slide the building onto it. Also, could have done it lower but I wanted enough room underneath to easily move around with the plumbing. I knew I would later do a deck with rock to close that in.

IMG-4116.jpgIMG-2596.jpgIMG-2600.jpgIMG-2986.jpgIMG-3664.jpgIMG-3764.jpg

We vacation using AirBnb and VRBO quite a bit and took notes from different places. Quite a few seem to have less than flattering or overly small bathrooms.

While trying to not go too big and take up usable space for the kitchenette or main room, I wanted it comfortable for the in-laws. They are all ex-football players with one playing in the NFL for a few years. If possible, we also wanted room for a king bed.....

Watched quite a few episodes of Tiny House shows for ideas and looked online for some specs/measurements for small bathrooms that still provided for a full size shower and sink. Taking from the Tiny House shows, the bathroom door would be a sliding barn door style. Framing below was for the bathroom. Stained glass window needed moving over so as to not wind up in the way for the wall between bath/kitchenette and I found a glass block window for bathroom on CL for $50. That was framed in prior to the move.

IMG-2987.jpgIMG-3038.jpg

• Like 1

That cabin is really cool.  What kind of substrate is under the boards? Just foam board and a vapor barrier?  Anything to keep moisture from behind the barnwood boards?

1 hour ago, G650 said:

Crazy your mother in law played football.

You're assuming one of his in-laws is female.

Keeping rustic, we were able to use most of the windows. Only put in one new casement window in the kitchen area.  Someone was throwing out some old double hung windows and those were salvaged and used by turning onto their sides and framed. I wanted to move the green glass bottle window to the shower but dropped it while removing. Wife didn't like that idea anyway, so it worked out. Wiring outlets (with help) and placement of lighting was done so we could get to insulation and then sheet rocking.

IMG-2988.jpgIMG-3567.jpgIMG-2989.jpgIMG-2990.jpgIMG-2891.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

I’ve been toying with the idea of building an out building in the range of 12x15 that could be used as a home office but also function as a shed if we sell the property.  So wide open with open trusses for storage and a barn style door, but insulated and sheet rocked and electrified and with windows. 

Not sure where to start though. 

1 hour ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I’ve been toying with the idea of building an out building in the range of 12x15 that could be used as a home office but also function as a shed if we sell the property.  So wide open with open trusses for storage and a barn style door, but insulated and sheet rocked and electrified and with windows. 

Not sure where to start though. 

Well, sounds like you have the idea.....this one is 12x22.