2018 - 2019 Dallas Mavericks: Throw Some D's

CBT

6 hours ago, LurkingHorn said:

Taking away his first game which was a dud, Luka has scored 26, 19, and 21. I'm not sure what more one is looking for as far as consistency goes. 

Yeah's he fine especially for his age and four games into his career.  He right now needs to just focus on being up to par mentally on the speed of the game because his skill level is already high.  He could take a little better care of the ball and slightly better shot selection at times, but these are very small nitpicks for so early in the season.  Dallas should be happy so far I think.

Edited by UTDD

14 hours ago, UTDD said:

Yeah's he fine especially for his age and four games into his career.  He right now needs to just focus on being up to par mentally on the speed of the game because his skill level is already high.  He could take a little better care of the ball and slightly better shot selection at times, but these are very small nitpicks for so early in the season.  Dallas should be happy so far I think.

I remember reading stats progression articles about Giannis during his first and second year, everyone would comment he's a nobody.  They basically showed him having historical growth at all aspects of the position stat wise.  If I can dig one up I'll post it, they were always a great great read.

Matthews shooting logs this season by game:

4-10, 0-4 from 3pt

7-19, 4-11 from 3pt

6-15, 4-11 from 3pt

9-21, 5-14 from 3pt

9-15, 3-8 from 3pt

5-17, 2-4 from 3pt

3-10, 0-4 from 3pt

For the season, 40.2 % from the floor and 33.9% from 3pt. He has the 2nd most FGAs this season for the team, only 2 attempts behind Luka. He's also getting torched by whoever he's guarding on a nightly basis. It's time for more DFS. 

It's also worth noting that 3 of our top 5 shot takers are shooting 40% or below.

Luka: 15.6 FGA @ 45.9%

DSJ: 15.5 FGA @ 45.2%

Wes: 15.3 FGA @ 40.2%

Barnes: 14.7 FGA @ 36.4%

Barea: 9 FGA @ 28.6%

Barnes I can understand having a slow start so I'm willing to wait 2 or 3 more games for him to get his legs back. On one hand this is encouraging seeing the young guys both being very effective, but it's also depressing seeing the veterans hurting us on a nightly basis. 

1 hour ago, LurkingHorn said:

Matthews shooting logs this season by game:

4-10, 0-4 from 3pt

7-19, 4-11 from 3pt

6-15, 4-11 from 3pt

9-21, 5-14 from 3pt

9-15, 3-8 from 3pt

5-17, 2-4 from 3pt

3-10, 0-4 from 3pt

For the season, 40.2 % from the floor and 33.9% from 3pt. He has the 2nd most FGAs this season for the team, only 2 attempts behind Luka. He's also getting torched by whoever he's guarding on a nightly basis. It's time for more DFS. 

+1 on giving DFS more run.  I could (sort of) live with Wes taking a few too many 3’s if we was a positive on D, but DeRozan was doing anything he wanted against Weslast night.  DFS at least has more length to contest jump shots.

Wes is Rick's guy.  For worse. I don't blame him for getting cooked by DeRozan last night.  DeRozan is elite.  Especially inside the 3pt line. 

I wish they would've run somebody at him or given DFS a shot. 

I think this whole Wes thing is something we are gonna have to live with all year.

19 hours ago, CBT said:

God I love Rick so much.

Wes should only be taking uncontested 3's.  That's it.  Not sure why the hate on Barnes, he's a very good player and coming back from injury.  If he sticks around to help Luka and DSJ grow, we'll be better for it.

4 hours ago, Drew said:

God I love Rick so much.

Wes should only be taking uncontested 3's.  That's it.  Not sure why the hate on Barnes, he's a very good player and coming back from injury.  If he sticks around to help Luka and DSJ grow, we'll be better for it.

they have to find a way to limit Wes' minutes.   If Barnes doesn't play at a high level this season we are in big trouble.

Barnes is a good, 2-way, professional basketball player.  If he’s your best player, you’re fucked.  If he’s your second best player, you’re still fucked, but without the high lottery pick.  If he’s your 3rd best player, you might have a decent team.  If you have 3 or more guys better than him, you might have something resembling a pretty good team.

We 2 have young guys who should be better than Barnes relatively quickly if they already aren’t, and a center who is playing very, very well right now.  There is nothing wrong with Harrison Barnes being your 4th best player.

• Like 1

Well we weren't ever really even a playoff contender, at least not seriously, depending on a rookie and a 2nd year player. Plus with injuries to start the year.

Barnes will get better, he's coming off injury.  I've always thought as a very fringe 2nd, or sure fire 3rd scorer he'd be a good player for us.  Hopefully with DAJ/DSJ/Luka he will be.

Agree about Mathews.

Edited by Drew

24 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

Barnes is a good, 2-way, professional basketball player.  If he’s your best player, you’re fucked.  If he’s your second best player, you’re still fucked, but without the high lottery pick.  If he’s your 3rd best player, you might have a decent team.  If you have 3 or more guys better than him, you might have something resembling a pretty good team.

We 2 have young guys who should be better than Barnes relatively quickly if they already aren’t, and a center who is playing very, very well right now.  There is nothing wrong with Harrison Barnes being your 4th best player.

Exactly we eventually want Barnes to be the Michael Finley of Luka & DSJ's burgeoning stardom.  

I get what you are saying, but just to be clear- Mike Finley was way, way better than Harrison Barnes. Finley was a borderline elite player who could take over games at times but was unselfish and mature enough to help develop Nash and Dirk at the expense of his own stats during the prime of his career for the good of the team.

4 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

I get what you are saying, but just to be clear- Mike Finley was way, way better than Harrison Barnes. Finley was a borderline elite player who could take over games at times but was unselfish and mature enough to help develop Nash and Dirk at the expense of his own stats during the prime of his career for the good of the team.

Finley was a better scorer but,  and I like Finley so I’ll be kind here, he was a below average defender on a team whose two other best players were below average defenders.  Barnes is a nice 2-way player.  Once the kids get a little experience, if he can give you 15 & 6 and credibly guard the opponent’s best wing player, that is a better winning strategy than plugging a guy in who can get you 5 more points a game and is a liability on defense.

I don't bet much on the NBA as it's too volatile from game to game. But can someone help explain why we are a 7.5pt dog to the Lakers tonight? On the road or not, that seems like something the Mavs can easily cover. Hell I expect to win straight up tonight. Then again, Vegas isn't what they are for setting easy money lines.

5 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

I don't bet much on the NBA as it's too volatile from game to game. But can someone help explain why we are a 7.5pt dog to the Lakers tonight? On the road or not, that seems like something the Mavs can easily cover. Hell I expect to win straight up tonight. Then again, Vegas isn't what they are for setting easy money lines.

'Cuz we have LeBron  and we're gonna rule the world!!!  Well, hopefully someday.

9 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

Well, looks like my over 234 bet may have a better moat 

In this case, the second unit is responsible for getting us back in the game, but I have to say the rotations confuse me.

Why do we play the 2nd unit for 10 straight minutes?  It seems so excessive.  Every time the starters come back in the 2nd quarter, they look rusty.  Every game.  Why do we not stagger minutes at all?

Carlisle's great, but this doesn't make sense to me.