2018 - 2019 Dallas Mavericks: Throw Some D's

CBT

2 hours ago, CBT said:

You shut up. I’ll cry about it being rigged as long as I want. Once again, Dallas has NEVER moved up in the draft. That’s like, statically impossible...and stuff.

That draft lottery is the most blatantly rigged thing I've ever seen in the NBA. The Pels are being dicked around by a star player with no recourse while the whole league tampers trying to sway him. So of course the league compensates them with a number 1 pick. It's such blatant bullshit.

8 hours ago, threesheets said:

Went just fine. Now we can all shut the fuck up about that pick.

I'd give another first (make it three) for Luka in hindsight  

Agreed with this. It also allows us to use our pick next year as a sweetener for any potential deals we'd like to make this year. I think with KP and Luka our draft picks aren't going to be nearly as important. 

9 hours ago, threesheets said:

Went just fine. Now we can all shut the fuck up about that pick.

I'd give another first (make it three) for Luka in hindsight  

Exactly. This trade is now complete. Move on. We got the player we wanted and probably the best player in the entire draft. I'd rather have Luka than Trae Young plus that 10th pick in this draft.

18 minutes ago, LurkingHorn said:

Agreed with this. It also allows us to use our pick next year as a sweetener for any potential deals we'd like to make this year. I think with KP and Luka our draft picks aren't going to be nearly as important. 

I don't think we can use our draft pick next year in a trade scenario to be honest.  NBA has rules about how consecutive years' picks not being dealt.  That's the reason the Porzingis trade includes the 2021 and 2023 picks.  Had we gotten top 4 last night, 2020 would've gone to ATL and 2022/2024 would go to NYK.  

• Like 1

So both teams in the 3 way tie ended up with 1 and 2.  Is there really any doubt that if we win that tie breaker (or just lost another game) it would have flipped and balls still wouldn't have bounced our way. I don't think actually 'rigged' (anymore at least) but would love to see the breakdown of the odds Mavs that the Mavs have NEVER caught a lottery break in lotto history. It's just absurd at this point.

1 hour ago, Trey3216 said:

I don't think we can use our draft pick next year in a trade scenario to be honest.  NBA has rules about how consecutive years' picks not being dealt.  That's the reason the Porzingis trade includes the 2021 and 2023 picks.  Had we gotten top 4 last night, 2020 would've gone to ATL and 2022/2024 would go to NYK.  

Didn't realize that. I knew we were giving up the Knicks pick 2 years after the ATL one was sent but didn't realize that was the reason. 

13 hours ago, conVINCEd said:

He’ll be the runner-up.  Luka will be the MVP.

He'll be 2nd Runner Up, Luka will be runner up, because KD will win it as he gets the Mavs back to at least the conference finals and possibly bring the Larry O back to Dallas.  

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

SPEAK IT INTO EXISTENCE!!!

And Dirk decides after KD signs that he's going to spend Oct-Jan rehabbing/training to come back for the stretch run and playoffs.  Rides out with a 2nd trophy.  So let it be written

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

who do you guys want in the draft?  i've been holding out hope the other luka goes unnoticed but at this point that doesn't look like it's going to happen.  the atlantic did a write up on 3 C targets in our range today and the center from maryland, bruno fernando, is the most intriguing.  i've never watched him play though so i don't have an opinion past that.

A few of my thoughts on the upcoming free agency.

I don't really want Kemba and I think he stays in Charlotte. Lots of rumors/reports of the Mavs being highly interested.

Now that Julius Randle has opted out, I would love to sign him. Depending on the matchup, he could guard a 4 or 5. Good rebounder and only 24.

Patrick Beverly is another frequent name brought up for the Mavs. I like the defense he would bring but the price needs to be low. If we sign a decent 3 & D SF, then Beverly is a goof fit. If DFS is the starting SF, he and Beverly limit the scoring opportunities.

I think we sit on the big trade exception until January/trade deadline. See how Luka and KP are working then try to acquire a good complimentary player.

59 minutes ago, RexWilson said:

A few of my thoughts on the upcoming free agency.

I don't really want Kemba and I think he stays in Charlotte. Lots of rumors/reports of the Mavs being highly interested.

Now that Julius Randle has opted out, I would love to sign him. Depending on the matchup, he could guard a 4 or 5. Good rebounder and only 24.

Patrick Beverly is another frequent name brought up for the Mavs. I like the defense he would bring but the price needs to be low. If we sign a decent 3 & D SF, then Beverly is a goof fit. If DFS is the starting SF, he and Beverly limit the scoring opportunities.

I think we sit on the big trade exception until January/trade deadline. See how Luka and KP are working then try to acquire a good complimentary player.

I agree with most of this.  I don't think Kemba turns down the max if CHA offers.  

I'd love Randle too.

I have to remind myself that this won't be a perfect team in November but will be a better and more talented team.  Even that doesn't guarantee that they make the playoffs.

I'd like to hold on to 37 and would be interested in moving up if the price is right.   

Still a lot of holes.

Put me in the camp that wants Kemba. We need someone that can bring the ball up and initiate plays so Luka doesnt always have to.

A lineup of

Kemba

Luka

3 point shooting wing

Powell

KP

wouldn't be that great defensively but would be a nightmare to defend

Why not both?

Russell will help Luka as a playmaker and shooter, but lacks defensively.  Beverly is a defensive monster and can hit the 3, but isn't a playmaker.  And isn't the healthiest guy.  Both would be cool.

Still need a monster rebounder though.

Mavs don't have to get a 3rd Super Star this offseason, just get better.  They need Shooters, Defense, and Rebounding mainly.  Get 2 or 3 guys that fill those voids, and they'll make some noise next year.