2018 - 2019 Dallas Mavericks: Throw Some D's

CBT

JFC... every damn yr the Mavs seem like they wing the draft and FA unless a euro is involved. They just look completely incompetent. You would blow 19 mil of your cap space on Dragic without getting anything back and do the same for a redundant Olnyk? Donnie seems like a lazy GM.

Donnie Nelson must have the personality of a tree stump. Pretty much nobody is on the Mavericks out of their own free will. Keep in mind that the mavs actually traded for doncic and porzingis.

Except the just retired transcendent future HOFer and one of the most respected and well liked players in NBA history who twice took less money to stay in Dallas.

And the guy who literally just today signed a Max deal without ever stepping foot on the court in a Mavericks jersey.

And the entire 2011 team who won the only ring in team history.

13 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

Except the just retired transcendent future HOFer and one of the most respected and well liked players in NBA history who twice took less money to stay in Dallas.

And the guy who literally just today signed a Max deal without ever stepping foot on the court in a Mavericks jersey.

And the entire 2011 team who won the only ring in team history.

Dirk was drafted and had a good relationship with Cuban to fall back on every time.

porzingis was acquired by trade. The Mavericks had months to work on him. Signing today was a foregone conclusion.

the mavs front office just doesn’t seem to have the ability to cold call a player, make a good pitch, and convince him to join up. It’s baffling because most other teams in the league don’t have this problem.

Dragic is a good move. Good player with only one year in his contract. If the team isn't getting it done you can trade his expiring contact to a team desperate for cap space. Having flexibility in another year or two will be big entering the prime of the Luka-KP partnership.

Then it got weird

My issue with the Dragic trade is that they took on a 33 year old with 19mil on the books to help two other teams get better and didn't get any sweetener.  So in a vacuum Dragic will help but he would destroy their cap space and they didn't receive any incentive to do so.

No shit Philly and Miami wants Dallas to help facilitate the trade.  I'm sure they were laughing to themselves.

And then we found out they wanted Olynk and Jones.  I mean I can kinda see Jones because they want bouncy wings and he fits that mold but he's not the type of player you make a move on in the first 3 hours of FA.

I don't understand Olynk at all.  We have a better version in KP.  Maxi is a better defender plus they re up DP.

I am perplexed and more than anything afraid.  However I can't wait until Cuban comes out acting so smug because he's so smart and we're all so dumb.

Also I'm not sure who or what is left.

8 minutes ago, LurkingHorn said:

Maybe I'm missing something. Why were we not all over Beverly at 3/$40 million? He was the best realistic fit of anyone going into FA but we prioritized a freaking salary dump scenario from Miami over getting Beverly? This has been beyond pathetic. 

They were too busy cleaning up the Mia/Phi mess to call him

I remember hearing that we are among the list of teams getting a meeting with Kawhi and it seems like that Longshot is making the Mavs think they should hold off on any moves.  Which sounds a lot like Deron Williams and Dwight Howard all over again.  With even less promise.

23 minutes ago, fellside said:

I remember hearing that we are among the list of teams getting a meeting with Kawhi and it seems like that Longshot is making the Mavs think they should hold off on any moves.  Which sounds a lot like Deron Williams and Dwight Howard all over again.  With even less promise.

or maybe it's worse and we're not holding out for longshot... rather we're holding out for longshot's decision so that longshot's sidekick, mr green, can take us to the cleaners for 4 years and 50+ million instead of going back to toronto.

51 minutes ago, fellside said:

Where you hear that from?

It's the Lakers, Clippers and Raptors. Previously there were some stories that threw the Knicks out there. From what I can tell, our main concern regarding Kawhi right now is his connection to Danny Green.

16 minutes ago, D_Goose said:

Where you hear that from?

It's the Lakers, Clippers and Raptors. Previously there were some stories that threw the Knicks out there. From what I can tell, our main concern regarding Kawhi right now is his connection to Danny Green.

https://clutchpoints.com/mavs-news-report-dallas-expecting-to-get-meeting-with-kawhi-leonard/

9 hours ago, Voldemort86 said:

Donnie Nelson must have the personality of a tree stump. Pretty much nobody is on the Mavericks out of their own free will. Keep in mind that the mavs actually traded for doncic and porzingis.

It's Cuban. 

Fuck me we suck at this. If they were really partying with KP fire them all including Cubes. Chandler Parsons part deux. holy fuck nuts. 

At this point we are all in on fucking Danny Green and we have to wait on Board Man to leave for that to even happen. The only other seemingly salvageable options will include a half broke Boogie, Kanter who might be assassinated at any point, and Willie Cauley Stein who legally changed his middle name to Trill. fmmffl

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, threesheets said:

Giggle. Only in Dallas could adding Luka Doncic and Krystaps Porzingis in consecutive years bring out the armchair GM/pitchfork mob.

I mean to some extent, yes, but a ton of cap space and appear to have otherwise struck out on everyone we were purportedly targeting.   I don't think anyone had hopes we would land another big fish, but missing out on targets is disappointing.

7 minutes ago, Skipper said:

I mean to some extent, yes, but a ton of cap space and appear to have otherwise struck out on everyone we were purportedly targeting.   I don't think anyone had hopes we would land another big fish, but missing out on targets is disappointing.

Agree. It's like after we got two young studs we quit trying to build around them. Silly not to get in on the frenzy because obviously players are wanting to get in and get theirs before it drys up. We've seen it the past 2 or 3 years now. Yet we go plan "powder dry" and get left holding our powdered dick in our hands

IMO, Cuban didn't do himself any favors in his estimate of US college players v. Europeans and their development.  the constant disparaging of the refs(while certainly warranted) also didn't help.  Dirk was just that good.  dude was allowed to be mugged for his entire career except for the last few years of course when he didn't have the ability to force the defender to guard him normally.   he never really got the "star" calls he deserved. 

Its interesting because the word has always been that Cuban takes real good care of his players.  maybe it changes if KP and Doncic make some real noise together.  maybe we will just try to be an all star Euro squad?