2018 - 2019 Dallas Mavericks: Throw Some D's

CBT

Interesting news about Boogie...he changed reps today to Jeff Schwartz who's super chummy with the Mavs. In the end it probably doesn't much though.

Kawhi also likely re-signing with Toronto so Green is likely gone. 

Nothing turning out the way the Mavs hoped for FA so it's the norm for us.

Edited by AngryDragon

3 hours ago, AngryDragon said:

Interesting news about Boogie...he changed reps today to Jeff Schwartz who's super chummy with the Mavs. In the end it probably doesn't much though.

Kawhi also likely re-signing with Toronto so Green is likely gone. 

Nothing turning out the way the Mavs hoped for FA so it's the norm for us.

I guess now we’re down to the Morris twin.

Can one of you guys help me out with what Dallas supposedly did wrong on day 1?  Or maybe lay out a blueprint of how you would have done it differently?  I'm honestly curious.

You can't hold a gun to someone's head and make them sign a free agent deal.  And despite what some people apparently think happened, I don't believe Mark and Donnie were recreating the lobby scene in Jerry Maguire and partying with KP while all the talent was upstairs signing deals with other teams.

• Like 2

It's all perception about being able to sign a big fish.  We've never done it, and we had one of the largest cap rooms to work with, with a young and cheaper(er)'ish' core.  I like the moves so far.  If we get any 3 and d worth a shit starter I'll call it a full success.

• Like 2

I just don't know who we missed on (that was a big fish) that would have been a good fit here.  Beverley a big fish now? I wanted him btw.

Wish they'd signed Vucevic. I could have celebrated getting another bad ass and laughed at people bitching about it at the same time. 

Edited by threesheets

I feel ya. But think about it- there are several "thank god" in hindsight instances where we didn't win the bid that contribute to everyone's frustration.

Deron Williams, Dwight Howard, Carmelo, Whiteside? Missing on those guys contributes to the overall notion that the Mavs suck in free agency, but at the same time we're glad we whiffed. Conley is the only miss I can think of ( that they actually had a realistic shot at) that would have been a good signing (for the money) in hindsight. Him and Lebron I mean 😁

I get that they don't deserve credit for lucking out and not landing guys that end up being busts. But I have no problem with them not throwing silly money at marginal players just to do something. 

• Like 2

I'll take a shot.

They totally fucked the first day by

1. Going out to dinner with KP that night. Do it later.  You've been gearing up for FA since you shed those contracts.  They should've been in a war room somewhere working the phones.  Go to dinner later.

2.  They seemed to think that FA would be a little slower.  False.  If you find a guy you like. Give him an offer and tell him he's got 30 minutes to decide.  If they pass so be it.

3.  I never understood the Olynyk thing and it's indefensible if they were gonna take on that contract without getting a 1.  Or Dragic without getting a 1.  That's just fucking stupid.

4.  They said all offseason they need to get longer and more athletic on the wing.  Where's that?  Now we're waiting on Danny Green?  I have a feeling i know how that's gonna work out.

5.  It seems like everyone was tampering before FA except the Mavs and Knicks.  Talk to agents. Find out what guys want.  

Fuckin KD announced an hour before the "start" of FA.  

I can understand missing out on guys but the process seemed fucky to me.

Edited by Post Oak
  • Like 3

Disagree with most of that.  I was concerned with them overpaying for players and eating up the cap...they avoided that while at he same time adding pieces that can help them now.  They get Green and it's a very successful offseason, and they won't be done.  I bet regardless of what happens with him they'll have a trade/move lined up to improve the team.

People are still sleeping on how important it was to get KP locked up.  I don't give a shit if they were at dinner with him while other deals were getting signed.  HE was the focal point of this offseason.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Post Oak said:

1. Going out to dinner with KP that night. Do it later.  You've been gearing up for FA since you shed those contracts.  They should've been in a war room somewhere working the phones.  Go to dinner later.

Wasn't this "reported" by a dude that works at Dickey's? 

• Like 1

Yeah KP is priority #1. If they identified green as their #2 then I'm ok with what they did. We got boban. We got seth. We resigned Dwight, JJ, and maxi. This has been a good offseason. It'll be a really good offseason if we get green.

• Like 1

Summer league game vs BNK tonight. For some dumb reason, the Nets have Allen playing. He's a man out there.  Cameron Payne an interesting addition on Dallas' roster. You can tell he's older than most. I like what I've seen from Roby and Reaves so far.

5 hours ago, Dr Fear said:

Soooooo, Dwight Howard?

If he had chosen the Mavs initially I think he would have had a completely different career. Dirk would have had no issues letting DHo be the man and would have had an organization that would have treated him well.

• Like 1

Mavs front office fucked up again.

they really haven’t accomplished anything significant this offseason. All they’ve done is bring back their guys. Every single player signed has had ties to the team (even curry) except for the big from philly who will play 15 mins or less a game. They demonstrated that they have no plan, no creativity, and can’t sell their damn team to anyone. 

I would love nothing more than to see a new GM. We can’t keep striking out literally every summer.

Edited by Voldemort86

Mavs front office fucked up again.

they really haven’t accomplished anything significant this offseason. All they’ve done is bring back their guys. Every single player signed has had ties to the team (even curry) except for the big from philly who will play 15 mins or less a game. They demonstrated that they have no plan, no creativity, and can’t sell their damn team to anyone. 

I would love nothing more than to see a new GM. We can’t keep striking out literally every summer.

Don't mind lucking into not doing shit but we always look lost when FA starts

15 hours ago, Drew said:

Disagree with most of that.  I was concerned with them overpaying for players and eating up the cap...they avoided that while at he same time adding pieces that can help them now.  They get Green and it's a very successful offseason, and they won't be done.  I bet regardless of what happens with him they'll have a trade/move lined up to improve the team.

People are still sleeping on how important it was to get KP locked up.  I don't give a shit if they were at dinner with him while other deals were getting signed.  HE was the focal point of this offseason.

No one is doing that.

And you should care if they were out to eat when one of the most important days of the NBA year is kicking off.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Post Oak said:

No one is doing that.

And you should care if they were out to eat when one of the most important days of the NBA year is kicking off.  

I still can't believe this happened. Donnie needs to suck Dirk's dick on command every time they see each other. Our front office is mediocre as fuck with only Dirk and a dumbass Atlanta front office to save them from being an absolute joke.

2 hours ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

I still can't believe this happened. Donnie needs to suck Dirk's dick on command every time they see each other. Our front office is mediocre as fuck with only Dirk and a dumbass Atlanta front office to save them from being an absolute joke.

Actually Atlanta made a decent deal. Trae Young was second in rookie of year voting and they got an additional first rounder out of it.

If the players don’t want to come they don’t want to come. DG just the latest example. Dallas isn’t a destination. It is what it is. They will fill the holes on the roster another way.

The sky isn’t falling Mavs fans. We have the future on the roster. After we traded away the starting lineup a rookie Euro was keeping the Mavs in every game by himself. KP is here this season. I will not be the one to underestimate how great a Luka/KP pairing could potentially be. I agree KP was the priority and that is what never never could be messed up. He hasn’t played a game here and owed the Mavs nothing.

Mavs had an old goat a couple years ago. The FO has worked a miracle since then IMO.

• Like 1

Boogie on a one year deal has the most upside. Yes he is not as good as before his injury but the man has talent. Over pay for 1 year if necessary.

If he leaves next summer oh well. If he is a bad teammate waive him because no long term financial impact. If he regains his form and he is not likely to resign, trade him at the deadline.

At this point cap space is only useful if you want to overpay short term deals or take back bad contracts.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Dropout said:

If the players don’t want to come they don’t want to come. DG just the latest example. Dallas isn’t a destination. It is what it is. They will fill the holes on the roster another way.

The sky isn’t falling Mavs fans. We have the future on the roster. After we traded away the starting lineup a rookie Euro was keeping the Mavs in every game by himself. KP is here this season. I will not be the one to underestimate how great a Luka/KP pairing could potentially be. I agree KP was the priority and that is what never never could be messed up. He hasn’t played a game here and owed the Mavs nothing.

Mavs had an old goat a couple years ago. The FO has worked a miracle since then IMO.

No one is coming here because we have no real chance to win right now. No top free agent is going to a team where the future is uncertain. And yes, KP is an uncertain. Until Luka and KP prove they can do it together, top free agents are not sniffing us. Danny Green and his agent used Dallas as leverage to get more money. We had a 0.00% chance to land Danny Green. And the fact our front office waited around and let Green dictate the action is fucking soft. He's a tier 3 player. Make him a reasonable offer, and give him and his camp 24-48 hours to decide and then  move on. Danny Green is 32. By the team we are where we think we will be, he will be a non factor. But it is sad that getting a 32 year old role player who is extremely streaky is seen as a win for this front office.

KP is still a big unknown. He has had serious injuries and he hasn't played in a very long time. And no, practice is nothing at all like real love game action. It's good him and Luka have been practicing since February but that doesn't mean much. Giving that kind of a deal is a big risk but it obviously had to be done seeing the trade they made for him and he hasn't even stepped on the court for us.

And another thing in play in my eyes (and others have touched on this) but some people blow off as false is the players we have might not be marketable to other stars around the league. NBA is a huge fraternity, It's becoming a buddy system where players want to go play with their friends. The players are now doing the recruiting more than the front office. Everyone is teaming up. Do we have any players who can get on the phone and call up a player and talk him to come here? I don't think we do. That went for Dirk as well. One of the most respected players in the league but he did his own thing off the court and really don't fraternize with the others. He couldn't call someone up and talk them into coming here. We will see if Luka and KP do that. Isn't Luka overseas right now? He isn't building those connections. That is the difference these days. The front offices have less influence than the players do. Lebron talked AD into waiving his trade clause and AD did it because the influence of Lebron. Danny Green ended up signing with Lebron and the Lakers for the reasons the Mavs can't offer right now.

I wish we had that star player who could influence players to come here in free agency. Our biggest acquisitions in this era have been the draft and trades. And while that is all well and good, at some point you need to be able to pluck away free agents to fill the roster out more than getting left over scraps or get that star player. We have no ability to do that and actually look like a laughing stock too often. Especially the Deandre ordeal. It's like players don't respect this front office at all. And we end up just getting those players well after we wanted (Deandre, Deron Williams).

Winning solves a lot so if Luka/KP can work and work well, maybe that tide can somehow turn. But I still think that won't be enough because if players around the league don't have any real connection with them off the court, they could shy away in the end.

• Like 3