2018 - 2019 Dallas Mavericks: Throw Some D's

CBT

Well, if you're not going to land anyone you want, better to hold on to the money I guess than be like New York and pay role players like borderline all stars.

Keep some cap flexibility and try to make things happen in a trade once again.

10 hours ago, Post Oak said:

No one is doing that.

And you should care if they were out to eat when one of the most important days of the NBA year is kicking off.  

NO I shouldn't not when they weren't going to overpay players to come here(gladly), and no one was coming anyways.

I've said several times that the Mavs will NOT be a destination until they get good again. When they're a contender then they'll get FA's to come here...why would guys come here otherwise?

Y'all are crazy if you don't think they have other things in the works...a trade or an addition is coming, and WORST case scenario is they're still very flexible and will be able to pull off a KP like trade at the trade deadline again by taking on bad contracts to get good assets/players.

2 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

No one is coming here because we have no real chance to win right now. No top free agent is going to a team where the future is uncertain. And yes, KP is an uncertain. Until Luka and KP prove they can do it together, top free agents are not sniffing us. Danny Green and his agent used Dallas as leverage to get more money. We had a 0.00% chance to land Danny Green. And the fact our front office waited around and let Green dictate the action is fucking soft. He's a tier 3 player. Make him a reasonable offer, and give him and his camp 24-48 hours to decide and then  move on. Danny Green is 32. By the team we are where we think we will be, he will be a non factor. But it is sad that getting a 32 year old role player who is extremely streaky is seen as a win for this front office.

KP is still a big unknown. He has had serious injuries and he hasn't played in a very long time. And no, practice is nothing at all like real love game action. It's good him and Luka have been practicing since February but that doesn't mean much. Giving that kind of a deal is a big risk but it obviously had to be done seeing the trade they made for him and he hasn't even stepped on the court for us.

And another thing in play in my eyes (and others have touched on this) but some people blow off as false is the players we have might not be marketable to other stars around the league. NBA is a huge fraternity, It's becoming a buddy system where players want to go play with their friends. The players are now doing the recruiting more than the front office. Everyone is teaming up. Do we have any players who can get on the phone and call up a player and talk him to come here? I don't think we do. That went for Dirk as well. One of the most respected players in the league but he did his own thing off the court and really don't fraternize with the others. He couldn't call someone up and talk them into coming here. We will see if Luka and KP do that. Isn't Luka overseas right now? He isn't building those connections. That is the difference these days. The front offices have less influence than the players do. Lebron talked AD into waiving his trade clause and AD did it because the influence of Lebron. Danny Green ended up signing with Lebron and the Lakers for the reasons the Mavs can't offer right now.

I wish we had that star player who could influence players to come here in free agency. Our biggest acquisitions in this era have been the draft and trades. And while that is all well and good, at some point you need to be able to pluck away free agents to fill the roster out more than getting left over scraps or get that star player. We have no ability to do that and actually look like a laughing stock too often. Especially the Deandre ordeal. It's like players don't respect this front office at all. And we end up just getting those players well after we wanted (Deandre, Deron Williams).

Winning solves a lot so if Luka/KP can work and work well, maybe that tide can somehow turn. But I still think that won't be enough because if players around the league don't have any real connection with them off the court, they could shy away in the end.

God damn Vic hit it on the nail with this one. 

Mavs become contenders with KP showing he's still the Unicorn?  They'll draw people.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Drew said:

God damn Vic hit it on the nail with this one. 

Mavs become contenders with KP showing he's still the Unicorn?  They'll draw people.

I hope so. But Dirk was an all time great and that itself never attracted any stars. Dirk just didn't connect with the rest of the NBA on a personal life and buddy buddy. He would not be able to call up some players and tell them to come play. We had to use trades to get the likes of the final pieces we needed. I am trying to think of the last free agent we got that was fucking legit. Trades are perfectly fine but the players who come here don't have a choice. And free agents can be better because you sign them straight up without losing any assets (except maybe if you have to let someone walk due to making the salary cap work). 

Luka and KP are foreign players and as of now, they don't have connections with the fraternity of the NBA. Not saying we need it to be successful but it helps. They got rosters together to make it work with Dirk but we almost had to catch lightning in a bottle to win it all. You can't count on that. We should have won more than one title with Dirk.

Obviously Luka and KP will do what they want in their free time but it would be really cool if they could build relationships with some of the players around the league. Gone are the days of the front offices doing all the selling. It's like pairing up for school projects growing up. Everyone wants to pair with their friends and people they connect with. Not necessarily who is the smartest and best.

But at the same time, we could be seeing the completely stacked teams (like the Heat and Warriors) slowly go away. Kawhi going to the other :LA team was a good thing for this league. It now seems to be about duos than having a monster roster of superstars with no real depth. Which bodes well for us if Luka/KP can be what we hope.

I am finally looking forward to the NBA season as a whole (always look forward to Mavs, that's a given). It is about as wide open as we have seen in a long time. This decade, you get pretty much pencil someone in the Finals with very little doubt. Hell for 4 years, it was a great bet to just pick Cavs/Warriors. That got boring as shit. I have no clue who comes out of each conference right now. And that is something the NBA desperately needed. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Dropout said:

If the players don’t want to come they don’t want to come. DG just the latest example. Dallas isn’t a destination. It is what it is. They will fill the holes on the roster another way.

The sky isn’t falling Mavs fans. We have the future on the roster. After we traded away the starting lineup a rookie Euro was keeping the Mavs in every game by himself. KP is here this season. I will not be the one to underestimate how great a Luka/KP pairing could potentially be. I agree KP was the priority and that is what never never could be messed up. He hasn’t played a game here and owed the Mavs nothing.

Mavs had an old goat a couple years ago. The FO has worked a miracle since then IMO.

If that's the case then you don't design your strategy for asset allocation around building up massive cap space.  You take the draft seriously and accumulate talent by actually having young tradable pieces on your roster that will appeal to other teams.   

Edited by Catdaddyhorn

3 hours ago, AngryDragon said:

Skin thinks Iggy and Dragic are both possible additions but he was also confident we(Mavs fans) would be very satisfied with the summer. Even both would be a serious underwhelming summer.

I'm indifferent to this but i feel like Dragic has a better chance of staying healthy.  And if they take on one of these contracts Miami or Memphis needs to attach a pick.  

Fish said they should send 2 2s to Memphis for Iguodala.  Fuck that noise.  

Honestly i'd rather just keep the space and see what happens.

13 minutes ago, Post Oak said:

I'm indifferent to this but i feel like Dragic has a better chance of staying healthy.  And if they take on one of these contracts Miami or Memphis needs to attach a pick.  

Fish said they should send 2 2s to Memphis for Iguodala.  Fuck that noise.  

Honestly i'd rather just keep the space and see what happens.

Okie still has to dump a ton of salary. I'm at the point now where I'm praying we can get Gallo from them at a 23 mill 1 year rental. Also seems likely since it fits Donnie's fetish. Gallo Luka and Zinger would be fun to watch.

F it. Lets get Gallo and Goran and just try to field an all euro starting 5.

Edited by AngryDragon

9 hours ago, CBT said:

Roby and Reaves looked really good tonight. I don't know if Dallas has a spot for Macon, but the guy is an NBA player, 100%.

They're probably the two best athletes in the Org.  I think Roby is an NBA player but probably just not this year.  Who knows maybe if they don't sign Delon Wright he gets the roster spot.

Reeves is a really good defender.  He probably just needs to play a lot in the d league

Am I crazy to think that Adams would be a great fit? Yea, he's overpaid, but he's only got two years left. If OKC is in tear it down mode and Dallas has the space to absorb his contract...

On 7/6/2019 at 11:31 AM, Vic Mackey said:

And another thing in play in my eyes (and others have touched on this) but some people blow off as false is the players we have might not be marketable to other stars around the league. NBA is a huge fraternity, It's becoming a buddy system where players want to go play with their friends. The players are now doing the recruiting more than the front office. Everyone is teaming up. Do we have any players who can get on the phone and call up a player and talk him to come here? I don't think we do. That went for Dirk as well. One of the most respected players in the league but he did his own thing off the court and really don't fraternize with the others. He couldn't call someone up and talk them into coming here. We will see if Luka and KP do that. Isn't Luka overseas right now? He isn't building those connections. That is the difference these days. The front offices have less influence than the players do. Lebron talked AD into waiving his trade clause and AD did it because the influence of Lebron. Danny Green ended up signing with Lebron and the Lakers for the reasons the Mavs can't offer right now.

I wish we had that star player who could influence players to come here in free agency. Our biggest acquisitions in this era have been the draft and trades. And while that is all well and good, at some point you need to be able to pluck away free agents to fill the roster out more than getting left over scraps or get that star player. We have no ability to do that and actually look like a laughing stock too often. Especially the Deandre ordeal. It's like players don't respect this front office at all. And we end up just getting those players well after we wanted (Deandre, Deron Williams).

Winning solves a lot so if Luka/KP can work and work well, maybe that tide can somehow turn. But I still think that won't be enough because if players around the league don't have any real connection with them off the court, they could shy away in the end.

It is somewhat of a chicken and egg thing, but I think you have to consider the market itself as much as you do the players.  You need at least one recruiting star to come here, but Dallas is neither a fashionable city in which to live, nor a traditionally attractive franchise with a rich history, at least not for the average NBA superstar.  Star players want to go to a big market or hip location (LA, CHI, NY), traditional power (LAL, BOS), hometown (CLE, LAC), or to a place where they can team up with other stars or friends and win immediately.  Dallas does not check any of those boxes for anyone. 

Some franchises have been able to overcome this by having a top tier front office and great coaching (SA), but that doesn't just happen.  Even having a super fan billionaire owner who spoils his players hasn't helped, and some may argue that it has even hurt.  Still, Dallas has been good enough to win one title, and be competitive in several other years without being able to land a single big time free agent (aside from re-signing Dirk).  That is pretty amazing for a front office that gets so little respect.  You have to give them some credit for getting Dirk here in the first place, and for surrounding him with enough pieces to get the one title.  Contrary to popular belief, it did not happen in spite of ownership and the front office. 

Can they make it happen again?  We will see, but if so, it will have to be by getting players who don't give a shit about a city's or franchise's inherent appeal.  If that means focusing more on European players, so be it.  Maybe the Mavs know exactly who they are, and their strategies reflect that.     

6 hours ago, idigTexas said:

It is somewhat of a chicken and egg thing, but I think you have to consider the market itself as much as you do the players.  You need at least one recruiting star to come here, but Dallas is neither a fashionable city in which to live, nor a traditionally attractive franchise with a rich history, at least not for the average NBA superstar.  Star players want to go to a big market or hip location (LA, CHI, NY), traditional power (LAL, BOS), hometown (CLE, LAC), or to a place where they can team up with other stars or friends and win immediately.  Dallas does not check any of those boxes for anyone. 

Some franchises have been able to overcome this by having a top tier front office and great coaching (SA), but that doesn't just happen.  Even having a super fan billionaire owner who spoils his players hasn't helped, and some may argue that it has even hurt.  Still, Dallas has been good enough to win one title, and be competitive in several other years without being able to land a single big time free agent (aside from re-signing Dirk).  That is pretty amazing for a front office that gets so little respect.  You have to give them some credit for getting Dirk here in the first place, and for surrounding him with enough pieces to get the one title.  Contrary to popular belief, it did not happen in spite of ownership and the front office. 

Can they make it happen again?  We will see, but if so, it will have to be by getting players who don't give a shit about a city's or franchise's inherent appeal.  If that means focusing more on European players, so be it.  Maybe the Mavs know exactly who they are, and their strategies reflect that.     

For some reason Houston has been consistently able to attract free agents over the past 20 years or so. 

18 hours ago, RexWilson said:

So

Starters

Wright, Curry, Luka, KP, Powell?

Bench

Main Rotation: Brunson, THJ, DFS, Maxi, Boban

Limited minutes: Broekhoff, Jackson, JJ

I see it as Brunson, THJ, Luka, KP, Powell/Maxi

6th: Curry

Wright, DFS, Maxi/Powell getting most of the other minutes. We'll likely have 8-9 guys in the rotation 

4 hours ago, BallamaticBevo said:

The Wright deal basically took us out of contention for Dragic or Iggy. Watch us sign another useless 15 mpg Euro that will help us sell merch in Lithuania 

We can still do it if we send them Lee and probably a few 2nd rounders. Either way the Mavs will masquerade this pile of dung Plan Z as Plan A. I remember when this ownership and FO were doing things so radically different. Ironically, they are in the same position they were when Mark first bought the team. Back then, they were all about talent acquisition. 

So
Starters
Wright, Curry, Luka, KP, Powell?
Bench
Main Rotation: Brunson, THJ, DFS, Maxi, Boban
Limited minutes: Broekhoff, Jackson, JJ
I see it as Brunson, THJ, Luka, KP, Powell/Maxi
6th: Curry
Wright, DFS, Maxi/Powell getting most of the other minutes. We'll likely have 8-9 guys in the rotation 
I think Jackson starts. Curry is his backup.

I'm fascinated to see what as is waiting on with their cap space.  I'd say it's obviously involving Russ and Miami to some extent.  What would they get?  Maybe take back Winslow or someone from OKC like Ferguson.

Hopefully this goes down quickly

Dallas is at 14 right now if they don't move anyone. Probably best for both Roby and Reaves to get some burn in the G League, at least at first. 

1    J.J. Barea
2    Jalen Brunson
3    Justin Jackson
4    Seth Curry
5    Luka Doncic
6    Dorian Finney-Smith
7    Tim Hardaway Jr.
8    Maxi Kleber
9    Courtney Lee
10    Boban Marjanovic
11    Kristaps Porzingis
12    Dwight Powell
13    Delon Wright
14    Ryan Broekhoff

Edited by CBT

20 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

The still have part of the trade exception...

The Mavericks' sign-and-trade Sunday for Delon Wright (three years, $29 million) will be absorbed into the $21.3 million trade exception created by Dallas moving Harrison Barnes last February.

The leftover balance, reportedly $11.8 million, can carry over into the season and be available should the Mavericks target another trade.

https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/dallas-mavericks/mavericks/2019/07/10/re-signing-maxi-kleber-means-mavericks-search-roster-additions

• Like 1

In case Cuban was wondering what GM Rex Wilson would do

If OKC doesnt want to keep Paul and are going complete rebuild the numbers work worth this trade according to the trade machine:

OKC: receives Dragic & Olynyk from Heat and Lee from Mavs.

Miami: receives Paul OKC

Dallas: receives Adams from OKC

OKC doesnt deal with the long term Paul contract, sheds an insane amount of salary after the 2019 season, could ask Miami to remove protections from the picks already given up, could ask for more picks.

Miami gets a "star player" to go with Butler.

Dallas gets a quality starting center who is only 25 and helps reduce the failed free agency perception.

Some draft picks might be needed to sweeten the deal for one team but the dollars work.

Here to pump sunshine. I can’t fucking wait for this season. Luka and KP will dominate w a strong supporting cast bc Carlisle. I know he will be ready to go. It’s been a long time since the man has had a chance to win. Just give him a shot.

https://www.sbnation.com/platform/amp/2019/7/15/20677426/dorktown-mavericks-spurs-2014-rick-carlisle?__twitter_impression=true

• Like 6

On 7/15/2019 at 10:34 PM, Dropout said:

Here to pump sunshine. I can’t fucking wait for this season. Luka and KP will dominate w a strong supporting cast bc Carlisle. I know he will be ready to go. It’s been a long time since the man has had a chance to win. Just give him a shot.

https://www.sbnation.com/platform/amp/2019/7/15/20677426/dorktown-mavericks-spurs-2014-rick-carlisle?__twitter_impression=true

full titties right there 

• Like 1