2017-18 Spurs Thread: Probably no buckets for Kawhi

Radical Larry

49 minutes ago, Kermit said:

He’s still under contract until 2019. Dude ain’t going anywhere without the Spurs being highly compensated.

So it's either, Kawhi holds out this year, signs the super max and returns to spurs or Kawhi holds out this year, signs the super max and spurs get lots of pieces?  I'm OK with those two scenarios.  

I never even watch of a minute of the playoffs once the Spurs are out.  My wife is a Rockets fan, so I have to act like I am cheering for them.  It actually wouldn't be bad to see them knock off the Warriors in the WCF only to see them lose in the Finals.  And even if they do end up winning, I would rather them win it than GS. I fucking hate that team.

Fuck that. Then you have Lebron winning again. Toronto will choke per usual. Houston is the far less evil of the 3, IMO.

13 hours ago, F250 said:

Michelle Beadle called into an SA ESPN radio show today and discussed the Woj story. The conversation became pretty grim really fast. She kept emphasizing how weird the whole situation is and that Kawhi's behavior looks like he doesn't plan on staying. I had to pull my truck over on the side of the road to cry for a few minutes because it she was pointing out what has been running through the back of my mind.

I have the optimistic and pessimistic view on the situation, and each one makes about equal sense to me:

1. Kawhi is focused on the money and the new contract extension rn, which I don't like, because it's such a far cry from how our stars of the past have acted as members of the Spurs organization, and I also feel it tells us a bit about how great he will truly strive to be now that he's already reached Top 5 in NBA status.

2. Kawhi is introverted and as an opinion I read on PtR stated, maybe he is still learning how to be a leader (which he was only starting to come into last year), and still doesn't know how to be vocal to his teammates about this type of situation. He's never been in it before, but it would explain the passive-aggressive shit coming from Tony and Manu's apparent frustration. Danny and Pop and some others (BP) have stated that everyone is on the same page, and I'd like to believe that, maybe the old guys are just extra frustrated because their swan song is being wasted.

Either way, best case scenario is we re-sign him, retool the roster to not have 3 guards that are 6'2" or shorter and shit defenders, and hopefully next year we read more headlines about Dejounte other than "Dejounte can REBOUND OMG" and he actually develops into someone who can facilitate an offense. IMHO, I came into the season and especially into 2018 very hesitant about Dejounte as a starter, and I don't think he's improved all that much since being inserted into the starting role, he still has a half-reliable floater, and is very inconsistent as a shooter. He hustles, is long, and gets rebounds, but that's the same as when we started the season.

3 hours ago, SW Horn said:

Fuck that. Then you have Lebron winning again. Toronto will choke per usual. Houston is the far less evil of the 3, IMO.

If SA doesn't win, I'm hoping the Sixers, Raptors or Blazers do.   

Edited by Gut Wagon
Can't arrange my thoughts today....

The Kawhi situation looks grimmer with each and every passing week. Manu and Tony haven't exactly supported Kawhi recently and those guys are the veteran leaders of the team so they're likely not just speaking for themselves but the team as a whole. LMA seemed all but destined to leave at one point, but this season he's been the glue holding a fractured team together so whatever is going on with Kawhi can be salvaged.

18 minutes ago, Chad said:

The Kawhi situation looks grimmer with each and every passing week. Manu and Tony haven't exactly supported Kawhi recently and those guys are the veteran leaders of the team so they're likely not just speaking for themselves but the team as a whole. LMA seemed all but destined to leave at one point, but this season he's been the glue holding a fractured team together so whatever is going on with Kawhi can be salvaged.

If he leaves, there will be a reckoning in the media where anonymous sources lay his shit bare. Or un-anonymous in the case of Tony Parker.

3 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Whaddaya know? We hit from outside and win a game against a playoff team.

Nice all-around effort from DJM tonight. Still don't think he's much of a distributor/facilitator, but more performances like that and he'll convince me.

He’s probably never going to be the facilitator Pop hopes he’ll be, but damn it if he isn’t one of the best defenders in the league at his position already. Kid works his ass off.

Hell, if the Kawhi situation somehow turns out OK for us, DJM doesn't need to be the primary distributor. If he can just develop a consistent J and outside shot, he'll be a force on both ends.

Manu and TP didn't have much of a shot when they were young, but they became effective enough that defenders couldn't just sag well inside the arc (OK, Manu more so than TP, of course, but you get the point).

9 hours ago, Kermit said:

He’s probably never going to be the facilitator Pop hopes he’ll be, but damn it if he isn’t one of the best defenders in the league at his position already. Kid works his ass off.

Should be fine.  Its not like TP was a great distributor either.  Assuming we keep kawhi, much of the offense will run through him and LA.  

22 hours ago, Gut Wagon said:

That’s a great win. I know OKC isn’t some juggernaut, but after the way this week started, we really needed a W. I’ve come around to the idea that LMA needs to stay...which absolutely wasn’t my take last summer. 

Ginobili loves him. That's all I need to know regarding his Spursiness. 

Ran into this guy this morning.  A new Tiff's Treats opened up near my house, and my wife's co-worker was doing a charity thing there for kids with cancer (https://www.strongerthandipg.org/ if you're interested).  About 10am, George pulled up in a F150.  I have to say, the line for cookies was a lot longer than the line for George.  But he was super friendly, shook everyone's hand, gave them an autographed picture, and posed for pictures. 

My wife and I are not in the picture.

YESU8WM.jpg

Jimmy Butler is going to make it back before Kawhi. Gordon Hayward will make it back before Kawhi. Embiid will make it back before Kawhi. Although somebody on Reddit posted Kawhi’s earnings if the Spurs super max him and I’m pretty sure based on those numbers that he’ll stay. I mean, $50 million a season?

https://mobile.twitter.com/BobbyMarks42/status/980151828326354946

Edited by Kermit

24 minutes ago, Kermit said:

Jimmy Butler is going to make it back before Kawhi. Gordon Hayward will make it back before Kawhi. Embiid will make it back before Kawhi. Although somebody on Reddit posted Kawhi’s earnings if the Spurs super max him and I’m pretty sure based on those numbers that he’ll stay. I mean, $50 million a season?

https://mobile.twitter.com/BobbyMarks42/status/980151828326354946

This won't go over well her, but frankly, I'm not sure I would want to sign almost anyone to a super max deal under these circumstances.  I would want to see him healthy and producing before I invest that type of money.  The super max may end up being a terrible idea as it was installed during salary cap velocity which was unsustainable. 

This won't go over well her, but frankly, I'm not sure I would want to sign almost anyone to a super max deal under these circumstances.  I would want to see him healthy and producing before I invest that type of money.  The super max may end up being a terrible idea as it was installed during salary cap velocity which was unsustainable. 

Agree 100%. The question then becomes how does Kawhi respond to that? Understanding, or pissed and ready to walk when the current deal expires. That’s the game of chicken that awaits the Spurs.

10 minutes ago, Amos Moses said:

Agree 100%. The question then becomes how does Kawhi respond to that? Understanding, or pissed and ready to walk when the current deal expires. That’s the game of chicken that awaits the Spurs.

They’re super fucked if they tie up half of their salary cap in a player who either can’t or won’t play. They’re sort of fucked if they blow it up, at least for a couple of seasons. I’m to the point now where I’m sick of the bullshit. It’s gone on long enough. Just say he’s out and end the charade. I wish someone would act like a grown up.

Not sure if there’s any hope of winning today, but maybe. Rockets certainly slept through nearly all of their Phoenix game, so I guess anything’s possible. Then again, I doubt they want to lose to SA in a featured game today, even with owning HCA a given. Maybe we get red hot and they’re cold...resulting in a coin flip outcome. Seems optimistic, but hey.