2018-19 NBA Season Thread

BigOrange1

Holy shit that is about as in depth as I have ever seen. Good shit! 

Anyways, the final 4 will be GSW vs Houston in the West and Boston vs Toronto in the East. Golden St over Boston in 6. Luka for rookie of the year. KD for MVP. 

The outcome will be predictable like last year but it will be a fun ride to get there. A lot of juicy storylines, especially big time players like Kawhi and Lebron switching not only teams but conferences. 

Non-Warriors/LeBron shit I'm interested in watching unfold:

Gordon Heyward - had no idea until a couple of weeks ago that he had a setback over the summer.  Boston has the depth to bring him along slowly, but can he keep his spot in their "Best 5" end of game lineups?

The Phoenix Suns scoring a billion points, but still losing 50 games.

How good the Denver Nuggets can be if they can stay healthy for 10 minutes.

Where Marc Gasol ends up once Memphis realizes that he and Conley alone can't carry a playoff team anymore.

Pissed off CP3.

The powder keg in Minnesota.

Can Kawhi take the mantle as the best player in the East, or does Joel Embiid have something to say about that?

Dirk's swan song mentoring some real talent for a change.

Good shit.

Teams I'll be monitoring, other than the obvious:

Mavs - the infusion of young talent

Minnesota - not so much what happens on the court, but everything else

Indiana - the emergence of Myles Turner

Toronto - how will the Kawhi experiment go?

Milwaukee - new, offensive-minded coach with a talented squad. Can they shoot?

Miami - what's the end game?

Magic - really, just Bamba

Nuggets - Can Jokic get even better than he was to close the season?

Suns - lots of young talent here, but what will they do without a real PG?

Cs have stupid depth. I actually think a fully healthy cs team will be tougher than gs. That could be the most anticipated finals in a long long time

Adding tatum and brown grew so much last year alone... tatum is their mvp imo.

Their bench with scary terry, smart, morris and baynes is top 3 with already a top 3 starting 5 and a top 2 head coach

Cs have stupid depth. I actually think a fully healthy cs team will be tougher than gs. That could be the most anticipated finals in a long long time

Adding tatum and brown grew so much last year alone... tatum is their mvp imo.

Their bench with scary terry, smart, morris and baynes is top 3 with already a top 3 starting 5

I disagree. Celtics might have more depth but GSW have more starpower and have a switch they can flip that no one can match.

Curry's legs scare me.

Agreed on the switch. Your 11 pt lead can be a pt deficit in 3 minutes. Itd still be a finals for the ages

Oh it will definitely be more interesting than the last 2 Finals. Cavs were no match for the Warriors when Kd joined. Pre Kd they matched up well.

Warriors flipping the switch was game 6 and 7 against Houston. They turned an 18pt deficit in game 6 to like a 20 to 30pt win it seemed. And it happens so quickly. And there's not much you can do except hope you can match them on your end.

45 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

I hate being "that guy", overreacting to opening night, but Philly needs some damn shooting, and I don't think that running Redick off a hundred screens is going to be enough.

Yes they do. Would also help if Fultz ever fixes his shot. 

The C's have stockpiled just an obscene amount of talent with a really good mix of young guys and veterans. I think the depth matters less in the playoffs when the rotations get shorter, but they should come out of the East. The big question is always Kyrie's health. He hasn't been able to stay healthy going back to college. I don't think it will be enough to beat the Warriors in a 7 game series. Barring an injury to their big 4 and now with Cousins, I can't imagine them losing.

Top 4 in the East in order: BOS, TOR, MIL, PHI. The Sixers just seem like they are missing a piece. I know they need more shooters, but last year it just felt like all the parts didn't fit together and after an extremely limited sample size of one game, it still feels like that. They don't have the vets like Boston, and I think it shows up in critical moments. These kids are having to learn it all on their own and they've taken a lot of losses along the way. They have lots of growing up to do but that ceiling is pretty ridiculous. 

Other random fearless predictions:

Mike Bud is going to kill it in Milwaukee.

The Lakers are going to finish in 3rd in the West behind OKC and HOU.

Everybody is sucking off Utah and Denver, but I'm not buying yet.

Spurs miss the playoffs.

MVP: LBJ
DPOY: Draymond Green -- he's eligible for the supermax if he wins it. I would expect him to be extra-Draymondish this season, whatever that means.
ROY: Jaren Jackson Jr. - I thought he was the best player in summer league. If Conley and Gasol can stay healthy, Memphis is going to surprise some folks this year.
6th man: I think Boston ends up moving Jaylen Brown to the bench to balance out their rotations and he wins it.
West: GS over HOU
East: BOS over MIL
Finals: GS in 5 or 6. Same shit, different year.

2 hours ago, aggie08 said:

I hate being "that guy", overreacting to opening night, but Philly needs some damn shooting, and I don't think that running Redick off a hundred screens is going to be enough.

They were able to swing low cost deals for Ilyasova and Belinelli last year and that "fixed" them enough to get their doors blown off by half the Celtics.  Apparently, the Suns offered a pick for McConnell but the Sixers didn't want to give up his shooting.  Fultz has a ton of talent but frankly, he doesn't really mesh well with their team because Simmons can't shoot a lick either.  Because neither of them can shoot, the team is pretty limited to breakthrough to championship level until one of them learns to shoot.  I'm on record as saying they'll trade one.... probably Fultz.  The trade was a mistake to get him and they're compounding it by keeping him onboard with a team where he doesn't fit.  Perhaps..... they end up getting a great trade piece for him later though.  Sixers will still win a ton of games because Embiid and Simmons are fantastic talents.... They'll probably be able to get some cheap shooting mid-season but they need another top talent who can shoot IMO.

Yeah, "Fultz looks moderately competent on a foul line jumper!" doesn't do a lot for me if their aspirations are competing with Boston and Golden State. Can't help but wonder if they sneak into the Butler sweepstakes. Minny needs a point guard. Butler doesn't help a ton in the shooting department, but their defense would be so good with Simmons, Redick, Butler, Covington, and Embiid that it probably wouldn't matter.