Earl Campbell being Earl Campbell

Cairn Horn88

• 4 weeks later...

Several great quotes in here about Earl...

• Jim Brown said: "It's me 1st,  Earl 2nd, and then everybody else - -  y'all get in line!!!
  • After winning the 1978 Heisman, Barry Switzer said "Earl Campbell was the "Greatest Player who Ever Suited Up --  He's the Greatest Football player I've ever seen!!  Billy Sims is human, Campbell is not."
  •  A losing game coach in a high school game once said of Campbell, "I always thought Superman was white and wore an "S" , but now I know he's Black and wears number"20"

3 hours ago, Veerbone said:

Joe must be one pissed off mf’er to demand his name be removed all the way from the grave.   Nice spin job by the admin though.

Guide from YouTube comments:  This is from May of 1992.  The deposition was taken in St Louis.   The deponent is "Jack Garrett" who was at one time a research chemist at Monsanto's Texas City facility in the 1950's.   Monsanto (represented by Ed Carstarphen on the left), was being sued by some residents of Houston (represented by Joe "Hairpiece" Jamail on the right with the wagging finger) who alleged that Monsanto had harmed them by exposing them to dangerous chemicals.  This lawsuit may have been one regarding the Brio Superfund site.  "Tucker" was an attorney representing Ayrshire.  There is an Ayrshire a real estate development company in Houston, so I can only assume it's the same company, though I'm not sure of their role in this case.  It's probably got something to do with property values allegedly impacted by Monsanto.

Edited by nnm
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, nnm said:

Guide from YouTube comments:  This is from May of 1992.  The deposition was taken in St Louis.   The deponent is "Jack Garrett" who was at one time a research chemist at Monsanto's Texas City facility in the 1950's.   Monsanto (represented by Ed Carstarphen on the left), was being sued by some residents of Houston (represented by Joe "Hairpiece" Jamail on the right with the wagging finger) who alleged that Monsanto had harmed them by exposing them to dangerous chemicals.  This lawsuit may have been one regarding the Brio Superfund site.  "Tucker" was an attorney representing Ayrshire.  There is an Ayrshire a real estate development company in Houston, so I can only assume it's the same company, though I'm not sure of their role in this case.  It's probably got something to do with property values allegedly impacted by Monsanto.

and don't forget this little story as well.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, Dennis Taylor said:

Should be Campbell/ Williams/ Young/ McCoy Field if  Heisman voters had a clue

Yea I stopped caring about the Heisman the year Vince got shafted.  It was obvious to me then that awards are stupid.  VY was clearly the best player in the country that season hands down.  It made me smile when they offered it to him when Bush got it taken away after the sanctions and Vince just said "na ya'll can keep that."

• Like 2

12 hours ago, nnm said:

Love me some Joe Jamail. The attorney that represented me in my injury lawsuit reminds me of him.  After having to fly from San Antonio to Dallas several times during the mediation process my attorney finally lost his cool.  The defense attorneys were just playing games trying to wear us down and even despite telling us this last meeting was to make a fair offer and get it settled.  As it turned out it was just more of their games.  After much back and forth he finally lost it when the one attorney told me "you need to just shut up, quit your crying and whining and go back to work".

Holy shit, my attorney stood up so fast he rocked on side of the conference table up, and then slammed his first down on the table so hard it made paperwork and pens bounce.  All the while cursing them for all they were worth and making all kinds of physical threats. The longer it went, the wilder he got.  After about 45-60 seconds or so they all headed for the door...in a very big hurry.  We sat and discussed things for a while and could overhear their conversation in the hall although we could not make out what was being said.

After about 15 minutes the mediator stated that things needed to get going and went into the hallway to get them back in the room. After about a 5 minute wait the mediator came in and told us they wouldn't come back in but would agree to our final settlement demand.  I couldn't believe it, they were honestly afraid my attorney, all 6'5" Texas man wearing cowboy boots was going to kill them if they came back in the room.

After it was all said and done with I told him how impressive that was, like something off of television.  He said he screwed up, that if he had known they were that big of a bunch of pussies he'd have asked for a hell of a lot more.

Yes, I still send him a Christmas card every year and will until the day I die.

Edited by SHOOTER12
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 4

• 1 month later...

Two great quotes about Earl from Bum Phillips, answering reporters questions:

”Is Earl in a class by himself?”

” Well if he ain’t, it don’t take too damn long to call roll”

”Does it worry you that Earl is so slow to get up after being tackled?”

”Well, Earl’s slow gettin’ up but he’s pretty damn slow goin’ down too”

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Two great quotes about Earl from Bum Phillips, answering reporters questions:
”Is Earl in a class by himself?”
” Well if he ain’t, it don’t take too damn long to call roll”

”Does it worry you that Earl is so slow to get up after being tackled?”
”Well, Earl’s slow gettin’ up but he’s pretty damn slow goin’ down too”

A third one:

After Earl struggled finishing the “Rookie Mile Run” at the end of training camp, a reporter asked Bum if he was concerned. Bum replied: “Nope. When it’s 3rd and a mile, we won’t give him the ball.”
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Earl gets it.  Ricky gets it.  Not surprising. 

Texas ex Earl Campbell said Wednesday he was proud of “The Eyes of Texas” school song even though it wasn’t easy being a Black football player at UT in the 1970s.

“I’m proud of that song,” Campbell said Wednesday. “I think that there’s a lot of things that can be done other than (change) that song, in my opinion.

“I just believe that ‘The Eyes of Texas’ stands for something. And I think those young people going to the university, as they get older, they will understand. But I still believe there’s things to be done in this world other than (change) that song.”

Campbell and fellow Heisman Trophy winner Ricky Williams met with reporters via Zoom to discuss having their name added to Royal-Memorial Stadium. Since 1997, the grass was called Joe Jamail Field in honor of one of the school’s longtime donors and one of the law school’s most famous graduates.

Williams called changing the song an “interesting question, and we’re living in a very polarizing time where people are having strong opinions.

“I think anytime we move into a time of crisis like this, people’s opinions flare a little bit,” he said. “I think it’s important to understand our history and to understand where the song came from. But I think it’s more powerful to transform the meaning of the song and the definition of the song, rather than trying to erase our history like it never existed.”

https://www.hookem.com/story/20200909/im-proud-song-texas-heisman-winners-campbell-williams-support-eyes/

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Wally Pryor said:

Earl gets it.  Ricky gets it.  Not surprising. 

Texas ex Earl Campbell said Wednesday he was proud of “The Eyes of Texas” school song even though it wasn’t easy being a Black football player at UT in the 1970s.

“I’m proud of that song,” Campbell said Wednesday. “I think that there’s a lot of things that can be done other than (change) that song, in my opinion.

“I just believe that ‘The Eyes of Texas’ stands for something. And I think those young people going to the university, as they get older, they will understand. But I still believe there’s things to be done in this world other than (change) that song.”

Campbell and fellow Heisman Trophy winner Ricky Williams met with reporters via Zoom to discuss having their name added to Royal-Memorial Stadium. Since 1997, the grass was called Joe Jamail Field in honor of one of the school’s longtime donors and one of the law school’s most famous graduates.

Williams called changing the song an “interesting question, and we’re living in a very polarizing time where people are having strong opinions.

“I think anytime we move into a time of crisis like this, people’s opinions flare a little bit,” he said. “I think it’s important to understand our history and to understand where the song came from. But I think it’s more powerful to transform the meaning of the song and the definition of the song, rather than trying to erase our history like it never existed.”

https://www.hookem.com/story/20200909/im-proud-song-texas-heisman-winners-campbell-williams-support-eyes/

• Hook 'Em 1