Earl Campbell being Earl Campbell

Cairn Horn88

• 1 month later...

That speed with that size was  something else. Although I have long suspected that a lot of guys chasing him weren't running as hard as they could because they wanted no part of what would happen once they caught up with him. Better to just give it a half hearted effort like that Dolphins guy in the clip above. 

• Hook 'Em 2

On 11/17/2023 at 4:07 PM, mwaadeeb said:

I wonder if anybody outside Texas knows to us (older guys, anyway) Earl is a lot like Willie. Folk hero. 

And he's a singer as well.  One time in my life I went to the Chili Cookoff at the Houston Rodeo and as we were wandering between tents we noticed someone was singing up on the stage for that area.  When we looked a little closer, it was Earl Fucking Campbell, big as life, singing away to country songs.  He was fully feeling the moment and giving it his all, and I realized, I'd watch that guy do anything because he's a bad ass motherfucker.  Hook 'em Earl!

• Hook 'Em 5

• 4 weeks later...

I saw this picture of Texas Longhorns legend Earl Campbell standing between former NBA stars Artis Gilmore and Kareem Abdul-Jabbar and the only appropriate response I could come up with was from Fluffy when he says….DAAAAYYYYAAAAMMMM!!!

image.png.9677514d4c9353dd57ee933227b7e065.png

Edited by Cairn Horn88
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 4
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

8 hours ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

I saw this picture of Texas Longhorns legend Earl Campbell standing between former NBA stars Artis Gilmore and Kareem Abdul-Jabbar and the only appropriate response I could come up with was from Fluffy when he says….DAAAAYYYYAAAAMMMM!!!

image.png.9677514d4c9353dd57ee933227b7e065.png

That’s super weird. Only time earl doesnt look like earl.

• Haha 1

On 11/20/2023 at 12:16 PM, mwaadeeb said:

When I was 10 I went to a game in the Dome and got there early and went down behind the end zone where they were warming up. Earl was catching passes and missed one (no surprise, ha) and it bounced up to me in the stands. I totally froze, holding the ball, looking at Earl, and he pretended not to know where the ball went and turned back to get another one. I wore that thing out playing street and golf-course ball my whole childhood. 

Now that's the definition of "cool story bro".

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 12/14/2023 at 11:29 AM, zeppo said:

A tip of the hat to Earl Campbell. This Sooner fan loved The Tyler Rose.

Arkansas fans did too….see the original post here if you want a great read about Earl!

On 1/21/2024 at 1:14 PM, GreenspointTexas said:

I always grab a pack to go with my brisket

I always grab a brisket to go with my pack.

• Haha 1

On 11/20/2023 at 1:23 PM, LTtxfan said:

It's hard to explain Earl's greatness unless you have seen it live -- he was one tough SOB with strength, power, acceleration, and speed.  No other RB like him.  

Greatest RB that I have ever seen... and an even better man !!!

Hook'em🤘

I lived in Jester West my freshman year and would always see Earl in the lobby. It was hard to believe an 18-19 year old kid could have that kind of muscle tone, especially his abs;  they didn't call it a six pack back then.

DKR & Bum got all the press, but Fred putting a 215 Lb Earl in the "I" was genius. My favorite Earl was the cat quick Earl, blocking a punt against Arkansas, and running like a spooked deer on a 24 yard TD scamper against OU in '77, on his way to the Heisman.  He always had the power, and the punishing stiff arm that knocked DB's off their feet.

Growing up in Austin in the late 60's, and watching Earl at Texas for 4 years; talk about setting an expectation.  Good times.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

On 1/21/2024 at 10:43 AM, jingtingler said:

Man makes a damn fine hot link too

I like them too, but I doubt that Earl has much to do with it anymore.  J Bar B Foods out of Waelder and Weimar crank out Earl Campbell and Cajun Hollar products, and lots of other private label sausages for places like HEB and Wal Mart.

https://www.jbfoods.com/brands

No offense to Ricky, but "The Tyler Rose" is still the greatest RB EVER in Longhorn Football history.
His rare combination of size, speed, power and athleticism has probably only been matched by Herschel and maybe Dickerson.....
Thanks Big Earl....

I am quoting this because Cairn said to go back and re read page 1.

Look, I love Earl. As much as anyone. He’s the reason I am a Longhorn as watching his senior year on TV (when we could) at 9/10 years old turned me into the die hard Longhorn that I still am today.

And while Earl probably had more raw talent, Rick Williams absolutely belongs right beside him on the stage of the baddest mothefucker Longhorns ever. He did it for 4 fucking years. 1,800 yards on a 4-7 team. Came back for a senior year when he certainly didn’t have to. 6,300 total rushing yards. Seventy fucking two rushing touchdown. A couple of those years having to split time in the back field. Wore the fuck out of aggy his whole career. And on and on and on. I will fight anyone that disagrees with this.

Ok, rant over. Now, back to our regularly scheduled Earl Campbell thread. Which I highly approve of.
  • Hook 'Em 2

• 2 months later...
On 1/22/2024 at 11:31 PM, DalTxHornFan said:

I like them too, but I doubt that Earl has much to do with it anymore.  J Bar B Foods out of Waelder and Weimar crank out Earl Campbell and Cajun Hollar products, and lots of other private label sausages for places like HEB and Wal Mart.

https://www.jbfoods.com/brands

That does not mean they aren't produced to his recipe and standards though. It really doesn't matter if he owns the factory or contracts it out. Note, I don't pretend to know the real score on this, but according to https://earlcampbellfoods.com/our-story/,

Anyone who knows smoked meats knows Earl Campbell. Since 1990, his sausage and hot links have been famous at family dinners, tailgate cookouts, and backyard BBQs. Each recipe includes Earl’s own blend of spices and quality meats that creates juicy, mouth-watering perfection.

Man makes a damn fine hot link too
Has he upped the quality of his regular smoked sausage? Granted it's been a few years, but I remember it not exactly being top quality, little greasy and bland. His hot links are pretty tasty though.

No disrespect to one of the goat's of football, just friendly, constructive criticism.