Texas hasn't had a kickoff return TD in 6 years

Helobious

If you're into useless trivia, the last one was by none other than DJ Monroe against OK State in 2012

Given the precarious future of the play in the sport of football, I'd really like to see UT get at least one more in before they're done away with. And that's all I really have to say about that I guess. 

4 minutes ago, Helobious said:

If you're into useless trivia, the last one was by none other than DJ Monroe against OK State in 2012

Given the precarious future of the play in the sport of football, I'd really like to see UT get at least one more in before they're done away with. And that's all I really have to say about that I guess. 

marquise never housed one?

There's barely any more returns, period.  Most every kicker has enough leg to get it into/near the end zone, and getting the ball at the 25 usually ends up a better option than a 15-25 yard return, which gets called back for holding or a block in the back 50% of the time.

There's barely any more returns, period.  Most every kicker has enough leg to get it into/near the end zone, and getting the ball at the 25 usually ends up a better option than a 15-25 yard return, which gets called back for holding or a block in the back 50% of the time.

Didn’t we get a penalty on a touchback still???

Heard could do it 

the 1978 by Lam Jones was the last time until Victor Ike in 2000 vs. Oregon in the Holiday Bowl.  I remember falling asleep only to be awoken by Mike Tirico shouting about the return as it happened.  

Weird thing about the 1978-2000 gap was that UT had Eric Metcalf and Tony Jones, two of the fastest UT players of all time, returning KOs in the late 80s lined up together (back when you had 2 returners).. and they never housed it. 

Edited by NowThis
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, DaggerHorns said:

Yup, sweet thread bro.

What universe do you live in where 2009 is more recent than 2012? I'd like to go there. 

And Fozzy was a better returner than Marquise. Fozzy had 2 in 2011 I think. 

Edited by Helobious

12 minutes ago, Helobious said:

What universe do you live in where 2009 is more recent than 2012? I'd like to go there. 

And Fozzy was a better returner than Marquise. Fozzy had 2 in 2011 I think. 

What universe do you live in where I specifically stated years? I’d like to go there.

Weird thing about the 1978-2000 gap was that UT had Eric Metcalf and Tony Jones, two of the fastest UT players of all time, returning KOs in the late 80s lined up together (back when you had 2 returners).. and they never housed it. 

Tony jones was very fast. Metcalf was much slower than him. I was friends with Gardere and Shannon K so I did some summer workouts with the team and knew a lot of the guys. I had class (bio of birds) with Metcalf and Jones and we raced after class. Metcalf beat me by a little but Jones beat us by a significant margin.
  • Like 1

Yeah well with the new fair catch rule I would just assume we just take it on the 25 about 90% of the time unless they just kick it really short for some reason.

Sometimes I forget that DJ ever actually got to carry the ball while he was at UT.

Edited by Valmy77

30 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

Yeah well with the new fair catch rule I would just assume we just take it on the 25 about 90% of the time unless they just kick it really short for some reason.

Sometimes I forget that DJ ever actually got to carry the ball while he was at UT.

He had a few jet sweeps go for a yard or two.

3 hours ago, Helobious said:

I heard that talked about, getting rid of kickoffs could be in the future.   But how does that work, when time is short an onsides kick is crucial for a chance to win.

Hell, at this point, I'd settle for never starting inside the 20, even if that means fair catching it every time
This.

I hate the pussification of football but more and more head injuries will end this sport. I'm good with kicking off at the 50 so the onside kick is still in play.

3 hours ago, NowThis said:

Heard could do it 

the 1978 by Lam Jones was the last time until Victor Ike in 2000 vs. Oregon in the Holiday Bowl.  I remember falling asleep only to be awoken by Mike Tirico shouting about the return as it happened.  

Weird thing about the 1978-2000 gap was that UT had Eric Metcalf and Tony Jones, two of the fastest UT players of all time, returning KOs in the late 80s lined up together (back when you had 2 returners).. and they never housed it. 

Back then we never got shut out either. You’d never guess who the QB was when that streak got snapped. (Yes you will)

8 hours ago, Lat22 said:

Back then we never got shut out either. You’d never guess who the QB was when that streak got snapped. (Yes you will)

21 minutes ago, jdhorn92 said:

Hmm ...Gilbert?

Texas with Vince Young at QB got shut out by OU/Greg Davis in 2004. Gilbert was never any part of a shutout.

23 minutes ago, Revolution512 said:

I know right it’s like we pay track coaches for nothing!

You think you are being funny but you totally misunderstood his statement: He was talking about Oklahoma and speed, ie. You can’t coach a kid on meth. 

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Bevo said:

Weird thing about the 1978-2000 gap was that UT had Eric Metcalf and Tony Jones, two of the fastest UT players of all time, returning KOs in the late 80s lined up together (back when you had 2 returners).. and they never housed it. 

Tony jones was very fast. Metcalf was much slower than him. I was friends with Gardere and Shannon K so I did some summer workouts with the team and knew a lot of the guys. I had class (bio of birds) with Metcalf and Jones and we raced after class. Metcalf beat me by a little but Jones beat us by a significant margin.

Were they impressed with you throwing the ball over the mountain?