Texas hasn't had a kickoff return TD in 6 years

Helobious

Weird thing about the 1978-2000 gap was that UT had Eric Metcalf and Tony Jones, two of the fastest UT players of all time, returning KOs in the late 80s lined up together (back when you had 2 returners).. and they never housed it. 
Tony jones was very fast. Metcalf was much slower than him. I was friends with Gardere and Shannon K so I did some summer workouts with the team and knew a lot of the guys. I had class (bio of birds) with Metcalf and Jones and we raced after class. Metcalf beat me by a little but Jones beat us by a significant margin.

Christ how fast were you? Metcalf was one of the fastest players in the NFL.

This thread reminds of the guy sitting behind me at the Baylor game who was completely shitfaced yelling at our team late in the game because we "haven't returned a punt for a TD in 10 years!"

Turned around to remind him that we returned one 90 yards for a TD two games ago in Manhattan.  He goes, "Oh I don't remember that", to which my buddy replied, "Probably because you're completely wasted."

/csb

Last one I remember seeing was the back to back kickoff returns in a game against Oklahoma State in 2011. Told my kids that they had seen something that does not happen often and would probably not see again at a Longhorn game at DKR in their lifetime. I wanted them to take in the moment.

• Like 1

On 10/16/2018 at 9:23 PM, Treefidy said:

I heard that talked about, getting rid of kickoffs could be in the future.   But how does that work, when time is short an onsides kick is crucial for a chance to win.

One suggestion I've heard  was the kicking team would be given the option of a fourth down and 15* (or something) from the 35. If you didn't get the first down, other team got the ball where ever the fourth down ended.

*The likelihood of getting a first down with whatever the yardage required was supposedly equal to the same probability of successfully recovering an onside kick.

• 1 year later...
On 10/18/2018 at 2:41 PM, High Plains Drifter said:

One suggestion I've heard  was the kicking team would be given the option of a fourth down and 15* (or something) from the 35. If you didn't get the first down, other team got the ball where ever the fourth down ended.

*The likelihood of getting a first down with whatever the yardage required was supposedly equal to the same probability of successfully recovering an onside kick.

I mean, was that taking into account 4th and Orlando/Diaz? 

• 2 weeks later...

How do they BS Pass Interference calls into the equation?

• 2 weeks later...