What was your first concert and how old were you...

BigDHornfan

7 hours ago, Rollo Tomassi said:

Mine too. I was 15. Do you remember Michael Anthony's "solo"?  He rolled around on the floor with his Jack Daniels bass guitar. Quite the contrast to Eddie's performance and skill. 

It started with him chugging a bottle of Jack. That was the high point of his solo.

On 3/27/2018 at 9:02 AM, Moby Ric said:

Going without my parents.  Def Leppard with Tesla as an opening act in the Summit in Houston.  1986 maybe.  ! was 15.

Going with parents Kenny Rogers at the Summit.  In the round, with an octagon stage.

Now that I think about it, Def Leppard was in the round as well.  mind blown

I was at this Def Leppard show too

• Like 1

My parents took me to see Genesis at the Astrodome when I was 4. I remember none of it, but I was able to get a bootleg copy of the show many years later. They were an incredible live band. 

The first one I went to on my own was Foo Fighters at Reliant Arena in 2003. I was 15 and it was a life changing experience. 

• Like 1

Fourth grade. Houston Symphony Orchestra. Field trip in school to the Music Hall attached to the Coliseum on Bagby. Filled that place with school kids and they explained classical music and shit to us. Repeat in fifth and sixth grade. Other concerts at Miller theatre in Herman Park. Saw Gypsy there. Good shit. Film Woodstock in Jester auditorium, marajuhana it ends in an a, aud was very smoky, good shit. Uh 60thousand people smoking dope and making pyramids and hearing bad company, joe cocker, santanna, n zztop, royal was pissed cause some moron cut out a state of texas shaped piece of new astroturf. Oh and some at that armory place on riverside.

Prolly the first were the bohunk polka bands at my family reunion when I was a kid. OU sucks.

19 hours ago, Cheeseweasel said:

I was 6. Not sure I would have appreciated the greatness.

However, I could have seen Mick Taylor live and lived a happier life.

You are a Mick Taylor fan? A buddy of mine shared a story with me. Occurred four years after Taylor left the Stones.

My friend worked as a bouncer at Up And Under on Brady Street in Milwaukee. Dive bar with a small stage; the neighborhood hadn't yet suffered through gentrification. 

Mick Taylor was the scheduled entertainment one night. The basement of the club served as the green room. I don't remember a poured concrete floor at the time. The building was over one hundred years old so it may have been the original dirt floor and timber and stone walls. On the top of a filthy old washing machine used for laundering bar towels, Mick Taylor was sorting out pills and preparing a line of coke or a speedball. My friend had to help him upstairs to a barstool on stage. The set lasted forty-five minutes and that was it for the evening. Hailed a taxi and carried him out to the car.   

After the Stone's American Tour 1972 concert, I next saw Taylor in Chicago in 2013 with the Stones as a guest artist. Played on Midnight Rambler and Satisfaction. Really great. Strange that he hadn't been included on Honky Tonk Women as he'd been the one to convince Mick and Keith it was a slow blues song.

Then, a few years later, in one of those Glimmer Twin twists when we'll never know if it was truly an oversight or if Mick and Keith intentionally slighted Taylor:
 https://www.express.co.uk/celebrity-news/658838/Rolling-Stones-forgotten-Mick-Taylor-odds-world-best-known-rock-band

3 hours ago, Stoogey said:

You are a Mick Taylor fan? 

Huge Stones fan and when Taylor was in the band, they were at the top of their game.  Let It Bleed,  Sticky Fingers, and Exile On Main St are my favorite stones albums and it's no coincidence that Taylor was a part of them.

How do you all store your concert tickets? I presume everyone keeps them as souvenirs (probably wrong) but do you have a scrapbook or photo album or something similar?
I have historically kept mine in the cd cases for the most recent album that was released at the time of the show (or the most recent one I owned). That only works as long as you continue to buy physical media, and if you have purchased something by each band you see.

i just turned 15.  Nov 20 1982 Van Halen Frank Erwin Center.

Romeo Delight

Unchained

Drum Solo 

The Full Bug

Runnin' With the Devil

Jamie's Cryin'

Little Guitars

Where Have All the Good Times Gone (The Kinks cover)

Bass Solo

Hang 'Em High

Cathedral

Secrets

Everybody Wants Some!!

Dance the Night Away

Somebody Get Me a Doctor (With "I'm So Glad")

Ice Cream Man (John Brim cover)

Intruder

Oh, Pretty Woman (Roy Orbison cover)

Guitar Solo (Including "Eruption" + "… more )

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Bottoms Up!

Encore: You Really Got Me (The Kinks cover)

Happy Trails (Roy Rogers cover)

Edited by LongestHorn
Because your mother is a whore
  • Like 1

Metallica's Summer Sanitarium tour in 2000. The tour include Korn, System of a Down and Kid Rock. Pretty sweet set up for 15 year old me. There were quite a few ladies in the crowd flashing the boobs during the day, so it was very much a success 

Hetfield had hurt himself prior to the show in Irving and missed the gig. They brought out the rest of Metallica for their set and then rotated the band's singers through to do mash ups. 

On 4/5/2018 at 10:17 PM, Hunchback said:

How do you all store your concert tickets? I presume everyone keeps them as souvenirs (probably wrong) but do you have a scrapbook or photo album or something similar?
I have historically kept mine in the cd cases for the most recent album that was released at the time of the show (or the most recent one I owned). That only works as long as you continue to buy physical media, and if you have purchased something by each band you see.

I keep mine in baseball card sleeves in a 3-ring binder.  I have the football & basketball tickets in there too, gives a good frame of reference.

• Like 1

On 4/5/2018 at 9:17 PM, Hunchback said:

In a desk drawer with all my football tickets. Recent concert tickets have just been printed out by my printer, so made two copies, one for the drawer, one for the actual concert.

Black Sabbath reunion tour 1999 at the Pittsburgh civic arena.

Pantera opened for them. 

I was 14. 

It was fucking awesome. 

Opening song was war pigs and I was immediately blown away. 

Edited by heso

On 4/7/2018 at 1:32 AM, bamachine said:

In a desk drawer with all my football tickets. Recent concert tickets have just been printed out by my printer, so made two copies, one for the drawer, one for the actual concert.

This.

I had a ton of them in a folder (including The Who/Fabulous Thunderbirds/SRV ticket from my first "real" stadium show) that I tossed in box when my wife and I moved into our first house.  It had a detached garage and the box, along with other sundry stuff went in there until we could unpack into the house.  It rained shortly after we moved in.  I thought nothing of it until I went out there to unpack and said box that had been sitting on the floor of the garage was soaking wet and moldy about 3/4 of the way up.  It was then I realized that (a) my new garage was at the bottom of a slight, but significant to water, grade; and (b) my garage door did not create a good seal with the concrete.  I lost a good chunk of my old tix.  Sad Chad.  

First concert I remember attending was Selena in 1995 when I was 8 in San Antonio.  Pretty sweet as she is widely celebrated among my culture and also ended up being murdered later that year.  My dad also took me to see Kiss at the Alamodome in the 7th grade which was pretty sweet.

Not including the country and western acts at the Ft.Worth Stock Show & Rodeo, my first rock concert  at Will Rogers Coliseum was a triple bill consisting of Dino ,Desi and Billy, then Paul Revere and The Raiders , with Herman's Hermits closing the show. I think it was '67 or '68, part of a Dick Clark Tour if I remember right. I was 14/15 and my friends parents dropped us off ,so we were on our on amongst a shitload of screaming teeny bopper chicks . Good time, and yes, I am old.

1 hour ago, RiverwalkMiner said:

The Fixx in 1984 on the Phantoms tour. I was 16.

(I'm not counting rodeo concerts with my parents.)

The very first album I bought with my own money was a bootleg K-Tel tape with The Fixx as one of the artists, also The Tubes, The Kinks, The Police, etc. I found out it was called Sound System Hits of '83 but cannot find anything but an old commercial for it. A lot of those old K-Tel albums have been uploaded to Youtube but that one,was taken down, while they left the rest up. Bastards.

Found a link to buy it, now just need to get me a good turntable and a vinyl to MP3 converter, for nostalgia reasons.

https://www.discogs.com/Various-Sound-System/release/2164929

Edited by bamachine

On 3/27/2018 at 6:18 PM, phdhorn said:

I saw Fat Elvis near his death (about 1 1/2 yrs, before he croaked) and pretty much this, especially with the women.  I got 10th row seats through someone who gave them to my mom, who didn't want to go.  So my friend, who ironically did a great Elvis impersonation (like, formally, got paid and stuff) and I went (I was his pianist), we were I think about 18.  I will fucking tell you right now when that 2001 theme played and the lights finally splashed on Elvis, all around us women of ALL fucking ages, even in their 80's, were going so absolutely batshit apeshit frantically screamingly nuts crazy that I thought I was in another universe.  You have NEVER seen women, especially old ones, move like Walter Payton through the entire defense.  They were jumping on chairs, on each other, on me, I mean they lost their fucking minds.  

The other stuff I remember clearly is that 1) Elvis was great, self-depreciating, 2) everyone and everything on stage was completely in his control, and he was a master at knowing everything - the band, the backups, everything.  Guy was a master presenter. 3) Elvis LOVED the gospel part of his concerts and he LOVED the gospel quartet he had, and when he sang that stuff he transformed from doing almost mocking self-parodies of some of his hits (you can imagine he was sorta sick of 'em after 30 years) to putting everything he had into the gospel songs and he did.  And his voice singing that stuff was absolutely fucking magnificent... this bloated, jaundiced, sweaty fat guy in a white suit belted out those tunes so powerfully, crack on key, and beautifully, THAT'S when I knew the guy had a talent far, far greater than most people.  Man did he enjoy those songs and his voice thundered out like nothing I ever saw.

It was pretty amazing.  Oh yeah, all around me women were throwing panties, bras, keys, everything.  I mean they would have fucking died of excitement if he would have picked them up.  Oh yeah, one last thing... Elvis had a guy who did nothing but hand him bandana/neckerchief after bandana/neckerchief.  Elvis took one, swiped it around his neck, then threw it out to the crowd and I swear that an arena of pit bulls looks tame compared to the frenzy.

You have no idea how driven to an excited batshit level of frenetic crazy love pains women can be driven to.  I never saw anything like that before or since.  As in ever.

ALL of this. None of PhD Horns thoughts  can be overstated.

I will never forget the amount of underwear being thrown in stage and wondering if the women actually took it off like RIGHT THERE, or brought it with them.  My 9yr old brain could not comprehend what would make someone do this.

Oh, and I’ll never forget the guy on the PA saying  “Ladies & Gentlemen- Elvis has left the building” at the end of the show.