Colorado Ski Thread 2018/19 Season

Napoleon

Having moved to Denver this year, I bought an "Epic Pass", which gives me access to all of Vail's properties (which now includes Crested Butte). 

According to the Vail Daily, Wolf Creek in Southern Colorado has already opened for weekend skiing and I believe that Arapahoe Basin may open this weekend.

Arapahoe Basin Ski Area COO Henceroth chimes in on Opening Day

Antonio Olivero 
Summit Daily News
October 13, 2018

Brf-ABasin-SDN-101218.jpg

Arapahoe Basin Ski Area chief operating officer Alan Henceroth provided this photo on his blog on Wednesday of A-Basin's lower mountain base area near its Black Mountain Express lift.

On Wednesday, in the wake of a massive early season storm that dumped more than a foot of snow at its Summit, Wolf Creek Ski Area announced its plans to start spinning its chairs on Saturday.

The news of Wolf Creek opening for weekends only starting Saturday effectively meant that, for the first time in years, neither Arapahoe Basin Ski Area nor Loveland Ski Area will be the first Colorado ski area to open the state’s ski season.

That said, A-Basin’s chief operating officer Alan Henceroth wrote on his blog Thursday that the last three days at the ski area had been “tremendous.”

“We have made lots of snow,” Henceroth wrote. “And Mother Nature has delivered lots of natural snow. This storm has been a winner for us in another way. It is still early Fall. The sun will come out again and much of the snow of south-facing slopes will melt. That increases the streamflow, making more water available for snowmaking. All the way around, this has been a great weather event for us.

“Regarding opening,” the COO continued, “it is still a little too early to call. The forecast is very encouraging. When you start seeing snowcats on the hill, that is a good sign we are getting close. As soon as I know when we are going to open, I will let you guys (know) when we are going to open. For now, go enjoy a weekend of skiing at Wolf Creek (kudos to those guys). Stay tuned for details on our opening.”

On Wednesday morning, A-Basin’s director of marketing and communications, Leigh Hierholzer, said via email that the ski area had yet to formalize an officially announced opening date. That said, the ski area has referred to a “budgeted opening date” of Oct. 19 since A-Basin closed down its lifts last June...

https://www.vaildaily.com/news/arapahoe-basin-ski-area-coo-henceroth-chimes-in-on-opening-day/

EPIC PASS covers Vail Properties mountains like Vail, Beaver Creek, Breckenridge, Arapahoe Basin, Keystone, Stowe (VT). The various options can be found here:  https://www.epicpass.com

IKON PASS covers Steamboat Springs, Aspen, Jackson Hole & others. You can get the full list here : https://www.ikonpass.com/en

Both of these passes can save you money if you are planning on skiing ~8 days or more during the season and can cover resorts in Colorado, Wyoming, Utah, California, Canada, Vermont, Japan, the European Alps, and even Australia, depending on which pass you buy.

Edited by Napoleon

I didn't buy my Crested Butte Local Epic Pass this year for the cheap rate...just don't know how much I'm gonna be up there unfortunately. My in laws still live there full time year round so there are limited excuses, but the Vail acquisition has the locals pretty pissed - need to hear how lift ops and food/bev turn out before driving up with the pup. 

End of an era in CB that's for sure. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, immamac said:

I didn't buy my Crested Butte Local Epic Pass this year for the cheap rate...just don't know how much I'm gonna be up there unfortunately. My in laws still live there full time year round so there are limited excuses, but the Vail acquisition has the locals pretty pissed - need to hear how lift ops and food/bev turn out before driving up with the pup. 

End of an era in CB that's for sure. 

I worked one season at Crested Butte many moons ago and I have no doubt that it will now change.

When I worked there, I lived in a shitty-cold fishing cabin in Almont, 20 miles south of CB and 10 miles north of Gunnison about 100 yards off of the road that goes between the two. We frequently would go home (leave CB to go back to Almont) after work and except for Christmas/New Year's week and one or two Spring Break weeks in March, if we returned to CB to "go out" at 8pm or later, it was a ghost town. I don't mean just during the week, but weekends too.

I used to say about Crested Butte- "If you're not going there, you're not going there."

It isn't like all of the places along I-70 west of Denver from Loveland to Bachelor's Gulch (Edwards/Beaver Creek). Even from the little airport in Gunnison, it was about 45 minutes in good weather and only a handful of flights went into there.

I visited Telluride during the week in ~January and even though it was midweek, the bars were packed with "young" people. In the town of Crested Butte, there might be two pseudo-homeless looking mountain men in the 50s in "The Talk of the Town" (CB's version of "The Brick" from "Northern Exposure") chatting up Jabba The Hut's female cousin at 9pm on a Friday night... and that was it.

Someone mentioned that the airport in CB South is now more than basically an airfield for prop planes, so if that's true, then private jets will soon be flying into CB and the Spa/Restaurant/Night Life will boom while the local hippy contingent will be priced out.

The year I worked at CB, the marketing slogan on our mailers was- "Crested Butte... what Aspen used to be and what Vail never was."

I'm thinking that it will turn into "Aspen in the '80s".  (Kind of like Marfa being for people too cool to go to Santa Fe.)

On 10/17/2018 at 5:09 PM, Napoleon said:

I worked one season at Crested Butte many moons ago and I have no doubt that it will now change.

When I worked there, I lived in a shitty-cold fishing cabin in Almont, 20 miles south of CB and 10 miles north of Gunnison about 100 yards off of the road that goes between the two. We frequently would go home (leave CB to go back to Almont) after work and except for Christmas/New Year's week and one or two Spring Break weeks in March, if we returned to CB to "go out" at 8pm or later, it was a ghost town. I don't mean just during the week, but weekends too.

I used to say about Crested Butte- "If you're not going there, you're not going there."

It isn't like all of the places along I-70 west of Denver from Loveland to Bachelor's Gulch (Edwards/Beaver Creek). Even from the little airport in Gunnison, it was about 45 minutes in good weather and only a handful of flights went into there.

I visited Telluride during the week in ~January and even though it was midweek, the bars were packed with "young" people. In the town of Crested Butte, there might be two pseudo-homeless looking mountain men in the 50s in "The Talk of the Town" (CB's version of "The Brick" from "Northern Exposure") chatting up Jabba The Hut's female cousin at 9pm on a Friday night... and that was it.

Someone mentioned that the airport in CB South is now more than basically an airfield for prop planes, so if that's true, then private jets will soon be flying into CB and the Spa/Restaurant/Night Life will boom while the local hippy contingent will be priced out.

The year I worked at CB, the marketing slogan on our mailers was- "Crested Butte... what Aspen used to be and what Vail never was."

I'm thinking that it will turn into "Aspen in the '80s".  (Kind of like Marfa being for people too cool to go to Santa Fe.)

I'm a firm believer that airports ruin mountain towns.  That's one of the reasons we chose to buy near Winter Park.  Closest airport is in Kremmling, about 45 minutes away, and that's only general aviation.  DIA is the next closest.  Turning CB into the next Aspen/Telluride would be unfortunate.

Looking to try something in Colorado this year vs our normal trip to PC/Canyons. Want to avoid a clusterfuck as we have two younger kids so convenience is a huge factor. Want to be able to fly in nearby without dealing with I-70. Someplace good for the family - my wife won't be skiing this year so a town with some shopping, etc. would be good. Ski-in/Ski-out or extremely close to the lifts. Decent dining options.

I haven't been skiing in Colorado in 20+ years so looking for suggestions. Thinking Crested Butte, Telluride, Steamboat....

Monarch is a smaller hill with snowcat skiing near salida you could fly into alamosa and be right there. 

Created Butte is awesome, but first year of Vail so who knows what's gonna happen with everyone and their dogs having access to the mountain 

Yeah, love Steamboat.  Take a look at Breckenridge, I think it's a little easier to get to than Steamboat.  Lots of ski in ski out options, and stuff located on the bus line that'll get you right top the gondolas. Good in town dining and the shopping ? it's there.

What's a walk up price at PC and canyons now, haven't been in the last 2 seasons ?  

Breck is on the steep side so I'd be getting an Epic pass if its still possible, at least that trip will be paid for, and all others will be covered for the season

6 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Yeah, love Steamboat.  Take a look at Breckenridge, I think it's a little easier to get to than Steamboat.  Lots of ski in ski out options, and stuff located on the bus line that'll get you right top the gondolas. Good in town dining and the shopping ? it's there.

What's a walk up price at PC and canyons now, haven't been in the last 2 seasons ?  

Breck is on the steep side so I'd be getting an Epic pass if its still possible, at least that trip will be paid for, and all others will be covered for the season

He wants to fly directly there.  Can't do that at Breck.

1 hour ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Ahh didn't see that.  What's the direct flight to Steamboat ?  

Doubt there are many, if any, direct flights to Steamboat, but I'm sure that there are puddle jumper flights from Denver. Flight schedule: 0992cc1a29827e540abd2a6fd07ac2f7?AccessK

I was going to recommend Telluride. That's a great town with lots to do for non-skiers. Crested Butte is a smaller town and there's less to keep non-skiers entertained. (At least that's how it was long ago.) You'd fly into Gunnison Airport.

There's always Aspen. (I think that there are flight into there... somewhere.) http://www.aspenairport.com/flight-information/flight-schedule 

Also, Vail/Beaver Creek, you can fly into Eagle County Regional Airport and then you barely hop onto I-70 and you're there in now time, but you come from the West so it's not the clusterfuck that you're looking to avoid. Apparently American Airlines has direct flights from DFW and United has flights from Denver.

Edited by Napoleon

I didn't think there was an airport nearby that took commercial jets.

Eagle for Vail is definitely  a nice way to go, but cost more. Aspen has commercial jet service, but the weather can fuck with you.  If fly in is the deal breaker it just doesn't get much better than Park City.  But you want t check out other places from time to time.

Ahh didn't see that.  What's the direct flight to Steamboat ?  

DFW -> Hayden is 2 hr 20 min. Did it last year and it was incredibly easy. Then it’s a 30 minute shuttle ride into Steamboat.

I personally prefer Telluride as a ski town over Steamboat. I also think the surrounding San Juan mountains are much more scenic.
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, HoustonHorn said:

Looking to try something in Colorado this year vs our normal trip to PC/Canyons. Want to avoid a clusterfuck as we have two younger kids so convenience is a huge factor. Want to be able to fly in nearby without dealing with I-70. Someplace good for the family - my wife won't be skiing this year so a town with some shopping, etc. would be good. Ski-in/Ski-out or extremely close to the lifts. Decent dining options.

I haven't been skiing in Colorado in 20+ years so looking for suggestions. Thinking Crested Butte, Telluride, Steamboat....

Beaver Creek.  Easy to fly into.  Stay in the village and you have skiing, shopping, and dining right outside your front door.  Can keep wife and kids entertained.

Pricey though.

It's been a snowy "Night Before Halloween" in Denver and apparently it's also been hitting some of the ski resorts up I-70.

Breckenridge over the previous 24 hours up until ~3:15am.

breckenridge-snowstake-ca~640_2018_10_31
https://www.breckenridge.com/the-mountain/mountain-conditions/mountain-cams.aspx 

Vail over the last 24 hours..

vail-official-snow-stake~640_2018_10_31_
https://www.vail.com/the-mountain/mountain-conditions/mountain-cams.aspx 

Arapahoe Basin's snow flake thing is 18 inches tall and you have to figure out from the image how much snow they've gotten. (They clear the snow at 5am every morning.) I'm going with 5 inches of snow since yesterday.

arapahoe-basin-snow-stake~640_2018_10_30

arapahoe-basin-snow-stake~640_2018_10_31
https://www.arapahoebasin.com/snow-conditions/web-cams/ 

Edited by Napoleon

I now have realized that you can't link a ski site's photos, because they dump them every day or two.

Here is Breckenridge's snow accumulation as of 5am local time to 10:20pm local time (though they haven't adjusted their clock to Daylight Standard Time yet).

Breckenridge-Snow-11-4-18-at-10pm.png

Screen-Shot-2018-11-04-at-10-27-49-PM.pn

I've noticed that Breckenridge is doing the best, followed by Arapahoe Basin. Keystone & Vail are significantly behind those two even though they are all pretty close together along (or just off) I-70.

On 11/7/2018 at 10:08 AM, ColoradoHorn said:

Breck and Keystone opened today.  First time to open early in 10 years.  With 11 runs open.  Will be there for Thanksgiving week.

On 11/7/2018 at 11:39 AM, Onboard 2.0 said:

Breck is friggin bringing it  right now !!

I didn't realize that Breck had already opened. (Not that I will get up there today.) It was supposed to tomorrow, Friday the 9th, and there are "Opening Day" events at the mountain & in Denver (SATURDAY night at Punch Bowl Social) .

Apparently they are looking pretty good up Peak 8.

Screen-Shot-2018-11-08-at-12-56-28-PM.pn

The base of Peak 8 today, Thursday, November 8th, at about 1:00pm local time.

Breckenridge-Base-of-Peak-8-11-8-18.jpg

I apologize for asking, what will seem to be, a really stupid question, but...

Is a place like Beaver Creek accessible by car?  I just moved back to DFW (from E TN).  Unless the area was experiencing a really bad storm, one could pretty easily access Gatlinberg and Sugar Mountain (NC).  I'd love to plan a ski vacation for my family, but air travel is kind of out of the question.

1 hour ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

I apologize for asking, what will seem to be, a really stupid question, but...

Is a place like Beaver Creek accessible by car?  I just moved back to DFW (from E TN).  Unless the area was experiencing a really bad storm, one could pretty easily access Gatlinberg and Sugar Mountain (NC).  I'd love to plan a ski vacation for my family, but air travel is kind of out of the question.

Not totally sure what you mean, but I'll explain how to get there.

1) Beaver Creek has a "village" at the base of the ski area. It was created to be a village at the base of a ski resort, it is not a town that converted into a ski resort.

2) If you are staying in the village at the base of the mountain, you can just walk to the lifts. If you are not, you can drive through the gate down by the village of Avon and park underneath the village right there, or you can park in a lot at the base of the mountain and take a shuttle up to the mountain.

3) The Westin Riverfront Resort & Spa in the Avon has a little lift to the base of the Bachelor's Gulch area and there you can take a lift up to a ski area that will then allow you to ski down to the base of the Beaver Creek lifts or to a lift that takes you up again to ski down to the Beaver Creek area.

4) The Arrowhead ski area is two mountains over from Beaver Creek (to the west) and you can go up that lift, then ski down to a lift that takes you up to the main Bachelor's Gulch drop, and then you can ski down to a lift that goes up/over(?) to where you can ski down to Beaver Creek (I believe), but parking is limited in the Arrowhead area.

However you choose to go there, BEAVER CREEK IS ACCESSIBLE BY CAR & TO PEOPLE WHO AREN"T STAYING THERE.

• Like 1

Thanks.  That's what i was asking about.  In Knox, you could prob get to Ober Gatlinberg even in a raging snowstorm.  The roads are generally maintained and one can take a tram to the ski area.  To get to Sugar in NC, one could be limited by having to go through some mountains to get there.  I am unfamiliar with the elev in the Beaver Creek area and was wondering if it'd only be accesible by car in only the clearest of weather.

I realize everything is accessible if in the vicinity, but was curious about getting through the elevated areas between Eastern Colorado and the actual area.

37 minutes ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Thanks.  That's what i was asking about.  In Knox, you could prob get to Ober Gatlinberg even in a raging snowstorm.  The roads are generally maintained and one can take a tram to the ski area.  To get to Sugar in NC, one could be limited by having to go through some mountains to get there.  I am unfamiliar with the elev in the Beaver Creek area and was wondering if it'd only be accesible by car in only the clearest of weather.

I realize everything is accessible if in the vicinity, but was curious about getting through the elevated areas between Eastern Colorado and the actual area.

You need to keep a set of snow chains in your vehicle. During snow storms snow chains are required on vehicles,

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

You need to keep a set of snow chains in your vehicle. During snow storms snow chains are required on vehicles,

Well. . . Sometimes they are.

CO in my experience is a little more lenient than CA. As long as you have M+S on your tires with good tread, you can travel during Passenger Traction Law events.  Takes a lot of snow on 70 to require passenger chains.  I’ve driven more times than I care to admit in crappy rental cars over Vail Pass in pretty marginal conditions.

Onboard is right though, chains are a good idea to have.  Decent tires good.  AWD on good tires better.  Chains good.  Any vehicle with winter tires even better.  My Outback on winter tires with AWD and a 3.6 liter 6 cylinder will be waiving at you as I pass: best 😉 

1 minute ago, Upgrayedd said:

CO in my experience is a little more lenient than CA. As long as you have M+S on your tires with good tread, you can travel during Passenger Traction Law events.  Takes a lot of snow on 70 to require passenger chains.  I’ve driven more times than I care to admit in crappy rental cars over Vail Pass in pretty marginal conditions.

Onboard is right though, chains are a good idea to have.  Decent tires good.  AWD on good tires better.  Chains good.  Any vehicle with winter tires even better.  My Outback on winter tires with AWD and a 3.6 liter 6 cylinder will be waiving at you as I pass: best 😉 

True, I've been in storms on I 70 and the signs weren't on, and other times they were.  Having  the chains (or snow tires) is a good bit of insurance though.

2 hours ago, Upgrayedd said:

I have a rear wheel drive car with tons of torque and very low ground clearance. (~4 inches)

I need to get rid of that car pronto, but in the meantime I'm going to try to go up a few times on days where there is a 0% chance of precipitation.

You like your Outback? I've been eyeing the Mazda CX-5 & the Subaru Forester, the Honda CRV is just so ugly these days, but it's at the top of all of the rankings in that range.

7 hours ago, Napoleon said:

I have a rear wheel drive car with tons of torque and very low ground clearance. (~4 inches)

I need to get rid of that car pronto, but in the meantime I'm going to try to go up a few times on days where there is a 0% chance of precipitation.

You like your Outback? I've been eyeing the Mazda CX-5 & the Subaru Forester, the Honda CRV is just so ugly these days, but it's at the top of all of the rankings in that range.

I love it.  About the same ground clearance as a Grand Cherokee with a lower center of gravity.  Handles more like a sedan than suv.  A little less interior cargo volume than comparable suvs, but my roof box takes care of that.

I got the 3.6L 6 cylinder.  The 4 just seemed a little under powered for me.  I’ve got no issues going up the grade and passing fully loaded.  I considered the Forester with turbo, the style just didn’t click.

She’s a great mountain vehicle that is going to get a little more use this season with Telluride now on my season pass.

Not necessarily for CO, but I'm looking to get a trip in for my 30th bday in mid April. I'd prefer to stay in NA since I'll only have a week off. What places have the best shots at being open and should I books soon or wait? I would assume A-Basin or Whistler would be fine.

Edited by SimonBolivar

15 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

I can't recall chains being required on passenger vehicles at any time in the past several years.  They do enforce the traction laws periodically, though, which require either 4WD or AWD or snow tires.  If the roads are bad enough that they are requiring chains on passenger vehicles, you might want to rethink whether you want to be on the road.

4 hours ago, Upgrayedd said:

I love it.  About the same ground clearance as a Grand Cherokee with a lower center of gravity.  Handles more like a sedan than suv.  A little less interior cargo volume than comparable suvs, but my roof box takes care of that.

I got the 3.6L 6 cylinder.  The 4 just seemed a little under powered for me.  I’ve got no issues going up the grade and passing fully loaded.  I considered the Forester with turbo, the style just didn’t click.

She’s a great mountain vehicle that is going to get a little more use this season with Telluride now on my season pass.

Yeah, my wife used to have a Lesbaru Outback.  Was one of the best bad weather cars I've ever driven.  Low center of gravity combined with higher clearance is great.  But then you're driving a Subaru.

17 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

I can't recall chains being required on passenger vehicles at any time in the past several years.  They do enforce the traction laws periodically, though, which require either 4WD or AWD or snow tires.  If the roads are bad enough that they are requiring chains on passenger vehicles, you might want to rethink whether you want to be on the road.

I was driving out of Vail 4 or 5  seasons ago in a pretty big snow storm around 5:00 in the morning, heading back to Denver.  There was 4-8" of snow on I70 depending upon where the plows had or hadn't been.

There were lit/ LED signs along the way saying all vehicles required to use snow chains. I remember thinking yeah I doubt there are snow chains in my rental vehicle.  There weren't.

That's the only time I'd ever seen them that I can recall.  

Edited by Onboard 2.0
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, SimonBolivar said:

Not necessarily for CO, but I'm looking to get a trip in for my 30th bday in mid April. I'd prefer to stay in NA since I'll only have a week off. What places have the best shots at being open and should I books soon or wait? I would assume A-Basin or Whistler would be fine.

I think that it's A-Basin that closes either in early May or early June, so it will still be open. Other North American places off hand...

Colorado Closing Dates: https://www.skiresort.info/snow-reports/seasonend/colorado/ 

Mammoth Mountain (CA) usually closes in early June, so it would definitely still be open in mid-April. It's about 5 hours from LA. You might want to fly into Burbank or Ontario... don't know.

Heavenly (Tahoe, CA) has been closing around April 22nd, so if you plan ~4/15-4/22, that will be open and you can fly into Reno, NV.
https://www.snowpak.com/california/lake-tahoe/heavenly-mountain-resort/opening-dates

Banff & Lake Louise (Canada) look to close in around the same as Mammoth or much later, depending on the mountain.

Banff-Closing-Date.png

4 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

Yeah, my wife used to have a Lesbaru Outback.  Was one of the best bad weather cars I've ever driven.  Low center of gravity combined with higher clearance is great.  But then you're driving a Subaru.

Great way to pick up the lesbians, plus... Subarus are totally cool in Colorado. Maybe not in Texas, but in Colorado, there are good cars for the winter/spring - skiing & the summer - camping.

In fact, they are considered such a Colorado standard that branding badges have been made combing the Subaru badge & the Colorado Flag.

rs=w:600,h:600

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

Great way to pick up the lesbians, plus... Subarus are totally cool in Colorado. Maybe not in Texas, but in Colorado, there are good cars for the winter/spring - skiing & the summer - camping.

In fact, they are considered such a Colorado standard that branding badges have been made combing the Subaru badge & the Colorado Flag.

rs=w:600,h:600

Let's not go overboard here.  I live in CO and the only Subie I would consider as cool is an STi.  

44 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

Let's not go overboard here.  I live in CO and the only Subie I would consider as cool is an STi.  

About 6 weeks ago, there was a Subaru tuner gathering in the parking lot at the stadium when a buddy and I went to a real estate convention inside the stadium’s club level area. 

Afterwards, we walked over to check out the Subaru event and at least 80 cars were parked with their hoods up so that you could check out the engine mods and then about 30+ cars were waiting in line so that they could they could have their decibels measured at the exhibition staging area. 

Kind of like Colorado’s answer to a gathering of Camaro owners in New Jersey. 

Due to Vail getting a bunch of snow when it was dumping on Breckenridge and other I-70 resorts near the continental divide, Vail has opened 2 days early. (My guess is that a soft-opening for locals helps prepare everyone for the crush of the former "Opening Day".)

Screen-Shot-2018-11-14-at-12-26-50-PM.pn

https://www.vail.com/explore-the-resort/activities-and-events/event-details.aspx?id={54f16a61-d060-405e-8e7a-b9a4ea8eeafe}&sd=11%2F14%2F2018&ed=11%2F20%2F2018

On 11/9/2018 at 6:15 PM, Napoleon said:

About 6 weeks ago, there was a Subaru tuner gathering in the parking lot at the stadium when a buddy and I went to a real estate convention inside the stadium’s club level area. 

Afterwards, we walked over to check out the Subaru event and at least 80 cars were parked with their hoods up so that you could check out the engine mods and then about 30+ cars were waiting in line so that they could they could have their decibels measured at the exhibition staging area. 

Kind of like Colorado’s answer to a gathering of Camaro owners in New Jersey. 

Oh yeah.  Colorado is a Subaru state for sure.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BurntEyes said:

Per my post above, lotta noobs and kooka, some boarders with I - Bad Ass syndrome.

butter milk is more noobs that wanna actually learn and be safe noobs.

highlands was legit, again, like 5-7 years ago.

Aspen does have some amazing eye candy at night, but I couldn't afford them.

I wouldn't be able to afford the cover charge and a drink to get into a place to look at the eye candy that you can't afford.