Colorado Ski Thread 2018/19 Season

Napoleon

4 hours ago, gyroprotagonist said:

Just back from Keystone over the kids' spring break.  Great snow all around for the entire week.  The spawn (8 and 10yo) are almost to the point of being faster down most trails than me.

Get used to it.  It's only gonna get worse brah. Sitting in Breck with young Onboard, the 26 year old version. The only reason I'm faster than him this week is because he has a torn ACL so no skiing for him (pre ski tear).

4 hours ago, gyroprotagonist said:

Just back from Keystone over the kids' spring break.  Great snow all around for the entire week.  The spawn (8 and 10yo) are almost to the point of being faster down most trails than me.

Get used to it.  It's only gonna get worse brah. Sitting in Breck with young Onboard, the 26 year old version. The only reason I'm faster than him this week is because he has a torn ACL so no skiing for him (pre ski tear).

so you could ski from morning straight through?
It's on my EPIC pass, so I might. check it out.

Speaking of a young man’s game...

Ive said I was going to be in the first hundred up the mountain and last hundred off River Run, dozens and dozens of times. I recall 2 really good days where I actually did it.

I can get up early. I can eat sandwiches on the lift to save more time. I can ski until 8pm. I can drink. Trying to do any 3 of those for more than a day or 2 whips my ass.
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Llano Estacado said:

Ive said I was going to be in the first hundred up the mountain and last hundred off River Run, dozens and dozens of times. I recall 2 really good days where I actually did it.

I can get up early. I can eat sandwiches on the lift to save more time. I can ski until 8pm. I can drink. Trying to do any 3 of those for more than a day or 2 whips my ass.

There may be millions of people who can do one of the following and maybe even two of the following:
-Swim 3 miles
-Ride a bicycle 100 miles
-Run 26.2 miles

There aren't nearly as many who can do all of that in one day.

16 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

ACLs are overrated.  I ski without a right ACL (completely ruptured last season)

17 hours ago, Llano Estacado said:

yeah, we go fairly hard as a family for 5 or 6 days straight on the spring break trips. Never saw the point of skipping a day once you got to the mountain.  But it is getting easier and easier to increase the day (and let's be honest here, morning) drinking and decrease the time going down the mountain.  At Keystone i liked to reward myself with a nice bloody mary in the morning after reaching the outpost food place (not via the gondola).  

30 minutes ago, gyroprotagonist said:

yeah, we go fairly hard as a family for 5 or 6 days straight on the spring break trips. Never saw the point of skipping a day once you got to the mountain.  But it is getting easier and easier to increase the day (and let's be honest here, morning) drinking and decrease the time going down the mountain.  At Keystone i liked to reward myself with a nice bloody mary in the morning after reaching the outpost food place (not via the gondola).  

Only reason I could see would be the $4200 in lift tickets.

eesh

Just got back from Keystone as well.  Could not have asked for better conditions with a 78” base and sunny/no wind - 40degrees at the base.  Day 1 my wife (no pics) bailed due to altitude sickness and my son was in snowboard lessons, so I got most of the day to fly around the mountain and do whatever the fuck I felt like.  So great to not have to wait on anyone.  A lot of waiting on the wife on day 2, but spent most of the day at the Outpost &  Labonte’s.  Saw a super hot blonde in a Longhorn coat on one of the runs.  Day 3 my 9 year old was ready to join us after 2 days of lessons - got him on his first blue (Paymaster) and there was no turning back.  Great but exhausting quick 3 day/4 night trip.

Went to Telluride with the fam last week, possibly the best conditions I’ve ever had.
Obligatory stop at Gorrono Ranch on our only bluebird day:
4c305cc3dbc9739883c048f6c06afb85.jpg
Here’s the snow report the day we left, a lot of locals said they don’t remember the last time they had a 100”+ base in the spring:
8768c9f5b624a4731bfb63c90bce6109.jpg

It snowed off and on the whole time we were there (Saturday - Friday) and pretty much constantly from Tuesday night to Thursday morning. We got fresh tracks Thursday morning in powder that was up to my shins, I’ll never forget those runs.

• Like 2

Here at Breck since late Monday.  Lots of snow, but its starting that Spring thing it does, wet, hard, deep bumps.  Yesterday was as Bluebird as it gets, but a little to warm. Anything over 25 messes with snow quality.  Hitting day 3 today, half day to day so I can charge a full day tomorrow. 

• 1 month later...

Summited Mt St Helens today.  Skinned up 6 miles for 5000ft elevation gain. The return 6 were made easier by skiing off the summit.  

Bluebird sky and no wind up top, which was amazing. About 10 feet to the left in the pic foreground is a cornice with a drop of over 1000ft into the volcano crater.  

932293EE-1536-4D32-B6E6-E2BE43355543.jpe

Mt Adams in the background 

• Like 8

Buddy I summited with sent me some of his pics from St. Helens on Wednesday:

Out of a 5k ft climb, had to boot up this one 100ft pitch.  Morning angle of light almost hides Mt Hood next to the cloud.  Also note the snow chute made from glissading hikers starting foreground left that trails out below.

A1E2423A-9F13-4FBA-9262-D2359D6776A9.jpe

looking across the crater at Mt Rainier in the background.  That gray layer on the water at the back of the lake is thousands of tree logs from the eruption almost 40 years ago.

4E2E82CA-4988-4A45-B3C1-F9A63792E59C.jpe

The best way down and off !

F7D6DF6E-2DE8-4EB6-8F8F-793029DC8182.png

A88E05B2-B8CD-4F61-AE15-4BBFFF6D38AE.png

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

we're not skiers, but interested in other activities (snowmobiling, hiking, etc, depending on when/where). we visit CO often, but mostly the CoSprings-Denver-Ft. Collins corridor - open to points west and higher elevation, pun intended 😊

is Durango good that time of year? we've been to Breckenridge once and Estes Park, but long ago - either of those recommended for an extended stay (7 day min)?

march/april/may timeframe - we know it's spring break season but we are both flexible, will work around Texas dates for sure. 

we are an inter-racial couple, smaller town is okay but want a 'comfortable' environment. we will both be vaccinated by that time.