Anyone Fix a Furnace?

BNB

Cold weather sucks!

My furnace is switching off after about 10 min before the set temp.  

I watched a youtube video on it possibly being the flame sensor.  Any opinions on that? Just disconnect it and clean it with a brillo pad?

Thank you.

53 minutes ago, BNB said:

Cold weather sucks!

My furnace is switching off after about 10 min before the set temp.  

I watched a youtube video on it possibly being the flame sensor.  Any opinions on that? Just disconnect it and clean it with a brillo pad?

Thank you.

It wouldn't ignite if it was just a dirty flame sensor. At least I don't think. I've had that problem before where it would start to ignite and then shut off and fixed it exactly as you describe. But maybe the actual flame sensor is bad. 

Could be the thermocouple.  I am guessing that "before temp" is really a shorter overall run time?  Similar time despite the thermostat setting?    In other words raising the thermostat by 10 degrees PAST the desired temperature does not result in the shutoff being AT the desired temp.  Thermocouple is also a cheap fairly simple replacement.  Just make sure and get the right replacement part, there are basically two types that cover like 90 percent of all thermocouples.