Keaontay Ingram touches by game:

Maryland: 7

Tulsa: 13 (injured in this game)

USC: DNP

TCU 9

KSU: 15

OU: 13

Baylor: 20

Is he the best back? Yes. Is he a freshman they want 2-3 more years from? Yes. So they have to handle both. Obviously, once his touches shot up from game one to two, he got dinged up. They rested him, and have since progressed his touches game by game. In his stead are a reliable but not extraordinary stopover grad transfer and a reliable but not extraordinary sophomore. Behind them are two known qualities in Toneil Carter (fumbler) and Kyle Porter (Kyle Porter), and an unknown injury prone back in Kirk Johnson. I think they've handled Ingram well this year, and I think they are progressing him at the right rate. 

Definitely a hard row to hoe though so I understand why the perspective on RB usage this year is split. 

1 minute ago, randygilman said:

Keaontay Ingram touches by game:

Maryland: 7

Tulsa: 13 (injured in this game)

USC: DNP

TCU 9

KSU: 15

OU: 13

Baylor: 20

Is he the best back? Yes. Is he a freshman they want 2-3 more years from? Yes. So they have to handle both. Obviously, once his touches shot up from game one to two, he got dinged up. They rested him, and have since progressed his touches game by game. In his stead are a reliable but not extraordinary stopover grad transfer and a reliable but not extraordinary sophomore. Behind them are two known qualities in Toneil Carter (fumbler) and Kyle Porter (Kyle Porter), and an unknown injury prone back in Kirk Johnson. I think they've handled Ingram well this year, and I think they are progressing him at the right rate. 

Definitely a hard row to hoe though so I understand why the perspective on RB usage this year is split. 

No doubt they are easing Ingram in due to injuries and lack of strength & conditioning with Yancy since he came in to the Program in June.

Still hope Drayton can add a RB to 2019 Roster with more Homerun Ability so HORNS can break more long TD runs...

2 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Daniel Young played well against Mizzu..... Now in 2018 he looks worse so far.  Why hasn't Young or Toneil developed more.... that's the RB Coach's Job....

Drayton has yet to show any ability to develop TEXAS RBs since the best two RBs are a Grad Transfer and a True Freshman.

Young can't make people miss in the backfield, skillset our running backs have to have.

First of all, not a Drayton hater, but...

I was one of the lone voices last year when everyone was jumping on Beck and other coaches for lack of running game, all the while Drayton held the title of RUN GAME COORDINATOR, not to mention Associate head coach to go along with RB position coach duties.

In other words, with that collection of titles he's second in command to Herman..and Herman alone, so any lack of production in that room falls squarely at his feet. The rotation last year (with heavy doses of Porter) was bizarre to say the least, but I am glad he's mostly sticking to his two best RB's this year.

I'm gonna have to give him a partial pass for using Watson more early on, (5th year senior transfer with starting experience versus true Freshman) as well as the past few games because Ingram has been dinged up. The lack of development for Young and Carter is inexcusable though.
/rant.

Drayton will be judged on whether he lands Zach Evans next cycle.  That should be the only goal he should have right now.  Land him, and he will all of the sudden become the best hire on surly.  If he misses on Evans, and also doesn’t land one of Cain/Sanders.... then he won’t have done much in his 2-3 years here.   If he also misses on some of the other good backs in 2020, then he should be shown the door.   Let’s see how this plays out and make our judgment after next signing day.  

As far as RBs in campus, I think he’s done okay so far.  Watson and Ingram have gotten the bulk of the carries.  Ingram has been hurt but is starting to get a larger workload.  Can’t complain.  If Kyle Porter was still getting 5-8 touches a game, then there definitely would be some issues.

Edited by victory88

1 hour ago, Machinator said:

closetojumping would know better than I, but it looks like if we strike out on Cain and Sanders we'll either take someone like Deondrick Glass or save the scholarship and find another grad transfer rental next season until we bring in another elite prospect in 2020.

Ctj just posted RB update in 2019 Recruiting thread.... His comments below

TB - I like the Georgia TB more than others, including friends who are closer to recruiting than me and get paid to do it in some form. He looks like a guy that can move the chains, make one cut and get up field, and take a beating. He's not going to be Keontay Ingram, but he's going to be fine if he's spelling Ingram. I hope they land one of the big names, but that doesn't look incredibly promising. I've heard they're less likely to offer a back-up like Glass than they were before the season, and that is good news, IMO. 2020 is a big year for multiple backs. Texas loses Carter, Watson, Porter and Houston, so I expect them to pursue another GT.

Edited by LTtxfan

• 1 month later...
On 10/17/2018 at 9:06 AM, Thujone said:

I think this is a dumb topic. 

The two most reliable RBs are Watson (who is healthy) and Ingram (who is not healthy). There's your snap discrepancy. It's pretty obvious to anyone watching.

It's also pretty obvious that both are better than Danny (who I like, but who is better against a 3rd-4th quarter defense).

Carter can't hold the ball.

Pay me 9.95

This.  My lord people want something to bitch about.  Who knows if Drayton was responsible for us getting Watson who has been nothing short of a pleasant surprise for me.

Watson has shown the ability to get those 3.2 yards through tiny cracks and his hands are awesome.  Keontay has not appeared to be 100% all season.  

• 9 months later...

Man I have seen Drayton attributed with all kinds of powers on here. Some of y'all think he decides how many RBs Herman should carry on the roster and others think he tells Herman who to have in the game.

Position coaches do not control their position groups like little fiefdoms, neither in terms of roster management nor in-game play.

• Like 1

Man I have seen Drayton attributed with all kinds of powers on here. Some of y'all think he decides how many RBs Herman should carry on the roster and others think he tells Herman who to have in the game.
Position coaches do not control their position groups like little fiefdoms, neither in terms of roster management nor in-game play.

Hasn’t Herman said the position coach dictated who was in the game? Or was that some of Strongs dumb shit?

• 9 months later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...