Price Negotiation on new HVAC System

My current house came with two expensive Trane systems. They break sometimes too. Trane replacements parts are also very expensive. No way in hell I’d spend that kind of money for AC. Goodman all the way. 
One of the benefits of Goodman is that they are sold to distributors who sell them to any licensed AC tech. Other brands are typically sold through a much tighter network of authorized dealers. Competition is a good thing, for consumers. 
Bernard

They sell Trane at Lowe’s or Home Depot. Or do you have to get a tech to get it for you?

I don’t think you, or any random licenced AC tech, can walk into Home Depot and walk out with a Trane AC system on your cart. HD is selling the whole package, installed by the installation company of their choice, not yours. It’s like buying granite counter tops at Home Depot. The guy in the store just types your name and address into the computer. Everything else is third party.

Bernard

8 hours ago, Bernard said:

My current house came with two expensive Trane systems. They break sometimes too. Trane replacements parts are also very expensive. No way in hell I’d spend that kind of money for AC. Goodman all the way. 

One of the benefits of Goodman is that they are sold to distributors who sell them to any licensed AC tech. Other brands are typically sold through a much tighter network of authorized dealers. Competition is a good thing, for consumers. 

Bernard

My HVAC guy SWEARS by Goodman.  He's visited the factory and all that shit.  He thinks that they're rock-solid. 

On 10/19/2018 at 7:26 AM, SquishMitten said:

Need to replace one of mine as well. Been wondering if I could get clever and buy a home warranty and start getting it worked that way. Anybody ever tried that? Only concern is that it won’t be broken “enough” for them to cover a full replacement, but I’m sure that can be arranged...

Doesn't work.  They will cover only if the unit has been serviced by a licensed HVAC company in the last 6 months. If you can get somebody to put a bandaid on it and give you a receipt, it might work.  I'm in real estate, and I've seen warranty companies install new units.  It does happen. 

Had to get two new ones in Feb.

Two brand new Rheem's, quote was $12k for both. Paid cash, got it for $10.5k. HVAC is crazy expensive. One of my good friends bought a house, got house poor, and 6 months later had to finance new HVAC. Youch.

The 31 year old Payne AC unit at my mom’s rental townhouse just crapped out. New system going in right now. 

3 tons. 14 SEER. New air handler with electric heat. Condenser delivered by crane to roof top. Goodman equipment. $4,200.

The guy I’ve been using for years is now a Bryant (owned by Carrier) dealer. He recommended Bryant. I’m sticking with Goodman. Same price.

Bernard

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone have recommendations in the Cedar Park/Austin area?  One of our systems crapped out, inspection says it's a leak, likely in the machinery so it makes sense to replace it at this point (15 years old).  Got quotes for good/better/best ranging from 6.3K to 10K for Carrier systems up to 20 seer (3 ton, both furnace and outside unit) from Covenant, our normal service provider.  We're managing with space heaters for now so would like to get it right - anyone have a trusted provider?

Anyone have recommendations in the Cedar Park/Austin area?  One of our systems crapped out, inspection says it's a leak, likely in the machinery so it makes sense to replace it at this point (15 years old).  Got quotes for good/better/best ranging from 6.3K to 10K for Carrier systems up to 20 seer (3 ton, both furnace and outside unit) from Covenant, our normal service provider.  We're managing with space heaters for now so would like to get it right - anyone have a trusted provider?

I went with Honest Air Conditioning.

I got bids from Fox, Stan’s, and one other I can’t remember. Tried to get them apples to apples and surprisingly got the best deal from Fox but they were all in the same ballpark.

Don’t waste your money on a 20 seer

• 1 year later...

Don’t sweat it. Capacitors fail. It’s zero reflection on the health of the rest of the system. Assume you’ll make it to 20 years, or more. I put a Goodman in my mom’s house in 1993. It’s still going strong, but it’s had the capacitor replaced a few times.

Bernard

3 hours ago, Bernard said:

Don’t sweat it. Capacitors fail. It’s zero reflection on the health of the rest of the system. Assume you’ll make it to 20 years, or more. I put a Goodman in my mom’s house in 1993. It’s still going strong, but it’s had the capacitor replaced a few times.

Bernard

Yeah, I get it but it is never a bad thing to be prepared. Yesterday, I was 95% sure it was the capacitor but just in case it was a compressor problem, I went through this thread. I noticed that you were able to get an install done for around $4000 where other people were being charged $8000. So when the repair guy put in the capacitor, I asked him about how much a new system would cost and he told me around $7500 starting. A 4 ton 16 Seer Goodman from your link or from Amazon is around $1600 and about $3600 with the indoor cased evaporator coil and natural gas furnace. So the labor being charged is approximately $4000. Couldn't 1 experienced person do it in half a day? That labor charge is too high even if you consider it takes 2 people to get that stuff in the attic.

Time of year matters. Supply and demand. A new AC in Texas costs more in August than in January. A new system install is more like a full day for two guys. They have to the the equipment on site, and haul off your old junk. Throw in some extra parts too like a new line set and a new pad. All that said, these guy make out like bandits during hot summer months when they are all busy and a homeowners are sitting in hot houses with broken systems. Even worse, many AC guys are actual bandits. They will lie through their teeth about the repairs your system really needs. MANY a homeowner has been sold a new system when all they needed was a $30 capacitor. 

Bernard

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, Bernard said:

Time of year matters. Supply and demand. A new AC in Texas costs more in August than in January. A new system install is more like a full day for two guys. They have to the the equipment on site, and haul off your old junk. Throw in some extra parts too like a new line set and a new pad. All that said, these guy make out like bandits during hot summer months when they are all busy and a homeowners are sitting in hot houses with broken systems. Even worse, many AC guys are actual bandits. They will lie through their teeth about the repairs your system really needs. MANY a homeowner has been sold a new system when all they needed was a $30 capacitor. 

Bernard

Well my $30 capacitor cost me $280. He did clean my system though (and broke my hose - one of those expensive flex types). He seemed like a pretty nice guy though. I called at 9:00pm to see if they could come out the next day and he made it there in about 30minutes. Based on what I told him though, he pretty much already knew it was the capacitor.

Call it a win. Lots of AC would have told you straight up your compressor is dead and you need a new unit, especially if you’re a woman. Same day service. 9:30 PM arrival. Sleeping in a cool house that same night. Money well spent.

Bernard

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

As noted somewhere on Shag... I have an AC guy & I think he has been out to maybe 2 or 3 houses for y'all.  Used to run my roofing crew until he went to school 10 years ago & now 8 years licensed.

1 Man show, reliable, not insane prices.  Send a PM if you want the info.

Lives near 183 / Ben White kinda area, travels all over the CenTex.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 8/12/2020 at 10:36 PM, Bevo said:

Who has the best price for a 4 ton HVAC system in N. Austin/Cedar Park? Not ready yet, but my capacitor just went out and the unit is 13 years old. I'd rather prepare early than be stuck asking my wife for help.

Like others noted,  go for a temporary fix right now if possible and stretch a new purchase out until what we call winter in most of Texas.  Used to be in the newspapers, the AC companies during that time span were begging for business and would advertise not only good discounts, but other stuff like a couple of years of free filters, purification systems, etc.   

And with a new system, you will save money with your summer usage (my summer usage was $400 plus, now mid $200's).   My original system was 14 years old and came with the house we built which in most cases the builders go with whatever they can get on a cost savings basis for them.  It probably was not the most energy efficient unit available back in 2004 although it had Energy Star labels on it and all that jazz in the instruction manual.   I know when we build our new home in a few years, I will pay more attention to that detail for sure.  Especially if we do the smart home thing.  

On 8/14/2020 at 1:18 AM, Bernard said:

Bernard

20 years is optimistic.  Not so much for a 93 unit, but with every year that passes, the expected life goes down.

8 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

20 years is optimistic.  Not so much for a 93 unit, but with every year that passes, the expected life goes down.

I disagree. Compressors are getting better, not worse. When I had that 1993 unit installed, Goodman was the new name for Janitrol AC units. Some folks told me back then that Janitrol/Goodman was trash and wouldn’t last. My job back then was CRE acquisitions; strip centers and warehouses. Our in-house AC guy liked Goodman. So did one of our property managers. They’ve been proven right. 

I bought the system on our company account. 5-ton condenser, coil, air handler with electric heat, and all new ductwork in the attic: $2,000. Paid our guy and his helpers $1,000 to install. The outside unit looks pretty janky after 27 years in the sun, but still blows cold. 

Bernard

7 hours ago, Jkwellborn said:

I can remember swapping out units that were around 40 years old when I was a kid. Still running too.

My parent's three-phase Carrier, OEM with the house in 1950, went out in 1991 because lightning struck a transformer and fused the compressor coil winding.

Guy that replaced it said it was a shame because they would be replaced every 15 years.  Between my parents, me, our friends and other family, you could set your watch by it.  Carrier, Trane, Lennox.

My AC went out again last night. Is there anything that can cause capacitors to go out? Hopefully, it was just poor manufacturing of the capacitor.

Yeah, using them. They aren’t made to last, at least not like they used to be. Turn the unit on and way down. Go put a stick in the condenser and spin the fan. This is just if the outdoor unit doesn’t come on.
  • Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...
How do you know when your capacitor is bad and not something else?

Look at it. If the top is swollen, it’s most likely bad. If the unit is humming, but the fan isn’t spinning, try to spin it with a stick. If it starts spinning, you need a capacitor. Capacitors and ants in the contacts were one of the most common things we dealt with when I was younger.
  • Hook 'Em 2

20 hours ago, Jkwellborn said:

Look at it. If the top is swollen, it’s most likely bad. If the unit is humming, but the fan isn’t spinning, try to spin it with a stick. If it starts spinning, you need a capacitor. Capacitors and ants in the contacts were one of the most common things we dealt with when I was younger.

Thanks. That's what I was looking for.

12 hours ago, Steel Shank said:

Thanks. That's what I was looking for.

Just FYI in case your husband does most of the repairs - Capacitors hold a charge and can shock the fuck out of you so be careful handling them. Definitely, don't put a steel shank across the leads.

Edited by Bevo

Just FYI in case your husband does most of the repairs - Capacitors hold a charge and can shock the fuck out of you so be careful handling them. Definitely, don't put a steel shank across the leads.

That’s not entirely true. They’ll shock the fuck out of you. But in order to discharge them, you literally put a screwdriver between the posts. Obviously, hold it by the handle and make sure you aren’t touching any metal.

3 minutes ago, Jkwellborn said:

That’s not entirely true. They’ll shock the fuck out of you. But in order to discharge them, you literally put a screwdriver between the posts. Obviously, hold it by the handle and make sure you aren’t touching any metal.

Isn't there some safer way to discharge a capacitor?  Seems to me there is, but I can't recall it.

Even if you don't get shocked, that discharge can be quite a jolt.

I can remember swapping out units that were around 40 years old when I was a kid. Still running too.

I bought my house in 2014 and it still had the original Day and Night AC and furnace from 1962. 52 years and still running. The furnace got red tagged by the gas company on move in so i replaced everything with Trane.

• Like 1

Isn't there some safer way to discharge a capacitor?  Seems to me there is, but I can't recall it.
Even if you don't get shocked, that discharge can be quite a jolt.

Might be a different way. Never heard or saw it done differently. Never heard about it actually doing anything when you discharge them either.