Jaxson Hayes

Goo Punch

Yeah, none of that is true.  It doesn't matter how well or poorly the #2 rated prospect in the country plays in college, if you're rated that highly, you're going to college to get your 1 year out of the way and then going pro and everyone knew that from the jump.  I doubt any rational fan with a passing knowledge of college basketball realistically thought he ever had a chance of returning for his 2nd year.  I mean, he was the 11th overall pick in the draft so clearly the people in the know didn't doubt his NBA potential 

3 hours ago, justinjc7 said:

Yeah, none of that is true.  It doesn't matter how well or poorly the #2 rated prospect in the country plays in college, if you're rated that highly, you're going to college to get your 1 year out of the way and then going pro and everyone knew that from the jump.  I doubt any rational fan with a passing knowledge of college basketball realistically thought he ever had a chance of returning for his 2nd year.  I mean, he was the 11th overall pick in the draft so clearly the people in the know didn't doubt his NBA potential 

do you even Jared Sullinger, bro?

Yeah but he was also back in the 2010 class.  ESPN is blocked on my work computer and my phone internet just stopped working so I didn't make it to 2010 but I made it back to 2012 and since then, Isaiah Austin is the only top 3 prospect to not leave after their freshman season.  And he actually did declare for the draft after his freshman season but had to back out and come back to school because he had a shoulder injury.  So of the 18 top 3 prospects over the last 6 years, only 1 of them stayed in college for more than a year and it was only due to an injury.  It's pretty much a given now that if you're a top 3 prospect, you're going pro after a year and that was certainly always the case with Myles Turner. I don't recall ever hearing anyone think there was a chance that Myles Turner would stay for another year to develop at the college level; I know I certainly didn't, I don't know where that guy's getting that from.  

19 minutes ago, justinjc7 said:

Yeah but he was also back in the 2010 class.  ESPN is blocked on my work computer and my phone internet just stopped working so I didn't make it to 2010 but I made it back to 2012 and since then, Isaiah Austin is the only top 3 prospect to not leave after their freshman season.  And he actually did declare for the draft after his freshman season but had to back out and come back to school because he had a shoulder injury.  So of the 18 top 3 prospects over the last 6 years, only 1 of them stayed in college for more than a year and it was only due to an injury.  It's pretty much a given now that if you're a top 3 prospect, you're going pro after a year and that was certainly always the case with Myles Turner. I don't recall ever hearing anyone think there was a chance that Myles Turner would stay for another year to develop at the college level; I know I certainly didn't, I don't know where that guy's getting that from.  

First (and generally), that was the joke.  A faux-attempt to "disprove" your point by showing it to be true in the last 10-ish years.

Second, if ESPN is blocked on your work computer, you should get a new job.

In related news, Myles Turner only got 17 minutes last night. It's obviously a ploy by McMillan to sabotage Turner's market value and ensure he stays in Indiana. The four-year extension Turner signed in October already guarantees that, but it never hurts to be certain.

Poor Myles, always destined to be pawn to some coach's selfish whims.

Saying Barnes was trying to get a 2nd year with Turner is me throwing Rick a bone and trying to make sense of the reality that happened. If you wanna give another explanation for why he was bringing off the bench and giving 22 minutes a game to a guy who was 5 months away from being one the top rookies in the NBA, I'm all ears.

3 hours ago, Cameltoe said:

Saying Barnes was trying to get a 2nd year with Turner is me throwing Rick a bone and trying to make sense of the reality that happened. If you wanna give another explanation for why he was bringing off the bench and giving 22 minutes a game to a guy who was 5 months away from being one the top rookies in the NBA, I'm all ears.

Myles is timid and was shooting poorly and thinking too much at times, and Rick coaches everyone the same; more accurately he coaches everyone as if they will be in the program for four years; it's a flaw of his. I'm sure if he had to go back and do it over he would change it, but the fact that you're referencing Myles' rookie year- and not his play as a freshman- as evidence he should have played more is telling. If Myles had played better he would have played more. Neither guy should be happy with his performance that season. 

Edited by Goo Punch

On 12/15/2018 at 4:50 PM, Cameltoe said:

Because Barnes values trust above all other things, and he couldn't trust Turner to run the offense. Myles is an all-world talent but he wanted to showcase his NBA game regardless of the plays Barnes was calling. The only carrot/stick he had with an obvious one-year rental was starting/minutes, but that leverage only goes so far when he's the best player on the team.

You can see something similar going on right now at WVU with Konate, where Huggins is benching him repeatedly for a "knee issue" that somehow magically clears up from game to game. Konate wants to show his NBA shooting range and Huggins wants him to get in the fucking paint and swat some shots.

• 3 weeks later...

Jaxson Hayes:

c4f04051a8ac6f75365a965f1d75bbaa.jpg

compared to-

Mo Bamba:

929f0ddb617ae72c428b6a41f0b9bd0d.jpg

Jarrett Allen:

8dbfe0dc46f9f91cb8be20130701c529.jpg

Myles Turner:

98cdb7e73e313428d8228d239f560300.jpg

Hayes compares favorably with all of our other recent one and some first rounders with his per-40 stats, and he more than passes the eyeball test. The fact that it took him so long to feature as a starter for us is criminal, and we still take waaaaay too many threes co spidering that we have a guy shooting 75% from the field on the season. He has a beautiful FT stroke too, he'll easily be above 80% from the line at the next level. Enjoy him while you can.

Also, note his poor rebounding numbers relative to the other guys- a staple under Shaka, where we've been pretty damn poor at rebounding. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Goo Punch
  • Like 1

Jaxson Hayes:

c4f04051a8ac6f75365a965f1d75bbaa.jpg

compared to-

Mo Bamba:

929f0ddb617ae72c428b6a41f0b9bd0d.jpg

Jarrett Allen:

8dbfe0dc46f9f91cb8be20130701c529.jpg

Myles Turner:

98cdb7e73e313428d8228d239f560300.jpg

Hayes compares favorably with all of our other recent one and some first rounders with his per-40 stats, and he more than passes the eyeball test. The fact that it took him so long to feature as a starter for us is criminal, and we still take waaaaay too many threes co spidering that we have a guy shooting 75% from the field on the season. He has a beautiful FT stroke too, he'll easily be above 80% from the line at the next level. Enjoy him while you can.
Also, note his poor rebounding numbers relative to the other guys- a staple under Shaka, where we've been pretty damn poor at rebounding. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cool post. I like seeing the comparison of those four.

The problem with Hayes is he has absolutely no back to the basket game so we're limited in ways we can get him the ball.  I did like the high post stuff we saw from him last night which allowed him to revert back to his guard skills and drive and dish on a couple occasions.  Too bad we suck, a promising season would probably seduce a guy like him into coming back since he wasn't exactly expecting to be a "1 and done" coming into the season.  

11 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

The problem with Hayes is he has absolutely no back to the basket game so we're limited in ways we can get him the ball.  I did like the high post stuff we saw from him last night which allowed him to revert back to his guard skills and drive and dish on a couple occasions.  Too bad we suck, a promising season would probably seduce a guy like him into coming back since he wasn't exactly expecting to be a "1 and done" coming into the season.  

i'm wondering why he doesn't take any jumpers at all. his FT form is outstanding, you can see that he will be an 80%+ shooter at the next level, and even the threat of a jumper from the elbow would open up a lot of things within our offense. well, we probably don't have enough intelligent or purposeful off-ball movement to really take advantage of it, but everything from a dribble drive for Hayes to having our shooters in the corner being able to cut towards the rim would open up with the ball in his hands at the elbow with even the threat of a shot going up. 

On 1/9/2019 at 3:38 PM, Catdaddyhorn said:

He's a borderline lottery pick; it's going to take more than flashing your skirt up at him to get him to turn down millions for limited financial upside, especially with Will Baker coming in next year. The dude calls every game day "bag day", he's looking to move up IMO.

• Fuck You 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

From The Athletic:

14. Los Angeles Lakers — Jaxson Hayes, Texas

The Lakers are going to look very different next season. That feels like a pretty safe assumption. Heck, there’s no guarantee that they even hang on to this pick. But if they do, I love the idea of selecting Hayes as their long-term answer at center. At 6-11 with a 7-4 wingspan, he’s been one of the biggest risers of draft season due to what he’s accomplished for Texas. No other center prospect in this class can match his combination of length, leaping explosiveness, fluidity and potential. He’s a terrific interior defender, could slide out on the perimeter long-term, finishes far above the rim and even has some potential to put the ball on the floor in short-roll situations.

The concerns are that he’s not necessarily the most polished player and that he’s still got some holes to fix. He’s overaggressive to a fault on defense, resulting in regular foul trouble. Also, it pushes him out of rebounding position, something he’ll need to work on with a talented big-man coach. Still, it’s rare to find an athlete like this at his size. My guess is that a team in the lottery figures that they can learn how to fix some of the faults that plague him at 19.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...