Jaxson Hayes

Goo Punch

13 hours ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

I know we have a ton of basketball geniuses on here and even though I hate Shaka as well the NBA game is way more wide open and fits what Jaxson does more than college where teams literally clog the lane with old fashion Zone defenses. And when you have no shooters and are trying to force a lob to our bigs it is easy to take what Jaxson does away in college. He has a crazy bright future though in the NBA. But I agree fuck shaka and I hope he gets fired this year.

It's pretty much impossible to design a scheme to get your athletic guys to the rim in transition. If it could be done, it would surly wreck havoc on everyone we played...

• Like 2

Jaxson comes in at #2 of the 11 best summer league rookies:

https://www.sbnation.com/nba/2019/7/16/20689944/nba-summer-league-rookies-brandon-clarke-grizzlies-jaxson-hayes-pelicans-rj-barrett-rui-hachimura

2. Jaxson Hayes, C, New Orleans Pelicans

The term “elite athlete” gets thrown around a lot during the draft process, but it absolutely fits for Hayes. It’s not just his incredible run-and-jump ability, but also his rare coordination and great hands he developed as a former high school wide receiver and the son of a long-time NFL tight end. He put it all on the display to create the best highlight of Summer League.

Whether he’s pushing the break himself or cleaning up for his teammates, there is no precedent for Hayes’ open floor ability as a 7-footer. His production is already showing signs of matching his physical tools. After leading all of DI in true shooting percentage as a freshman at Texas, Hayes again scored efficiently in Vegas

It may take a couple years before Hayes is able to make an impact at the NBA level. He needs to add strength — particularly in his lower body — to handle traditional bigs in the paint. When it happens, there is no telling how high his ceiling might be.

• Like 1

Hayes has been very promising, and I don't want to neglect the other Pelicans early pick, Alexander-Walker.  He really projects perfectly for a player with Zion and Jaxson if things work out well.  You never read too much into summer league, but I have to believe the Pelicans have to be actually excited in a lot of ways to be rid of Anthony Davis and moving on to a new era with frankly a lot of young intriguing players.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Meh, Smart says he's maybe a 2-deep contributor this season at the college level.  We gotta see what's what before UAB and Central Michigan come to town.  I mean, there's talk of an #11 seed in the Big Dance...so gotta evaluate and be patient.  

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Decent showing tonight in an overtime loss to the Suns: 17 points (6 of 8 from the floor, 5 of 7 from the line), 5 rebounds (4 offensive), 1 assist, 5 blocks, 1 turnover and 5 fouls in 33 minutes.

Plus this gem:

"Oh my goodness gracious! I can't unsee that. I cannot unsee that." (from the version on ESPN)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...