Jaxson Hayes

Goo Punch

• 3 weeks later...

My early read, Hayes is a perfect team player, great attitude.

http://www.espn.com/nba/insider/story/_/id/25350686/2019-nba-draft-stock-watch-zion-williamson-new-no-1-pick

Hayes made a big-time statement with his 15-point, 9-rebound, 3-block performance in a win over UNC. The freshman blew away the large contingent of scouts and executives with his agility, shot-blocking instincts, rebounding in traffic, soft hands and overall touch. With clear one-and-done potential, I'll be watching Hayes closely on Friday against Nick Ward and Michigan State. 

Hayes had 11 on 4 of 6 shooting while Ward had 6 in 2 of 7.

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, BigOrange1 said:

tankathon has him #16 in their mock draft.  enjoy him while you can.

I had been holding out hope that we could get him to stay another year and develop but every time I check out a mock draft, he just keeps on moving closer and closer to a lottery pick.  Starting to look like he's definitely going to be gone at this point

5 hours ago, Fastbreak said:

10 points, 4 boards a game. Managed 8 points, 3 boards versus the mighty Radford <too lazy to look up mascot>. Why isn't he in line for the #1 pick?

It's not about what he's doing now, that's not why players get drafted.  It's about his potential for future growth and that's very evident in Jaxon Hayes.  I was curious about the 10 point game that you called him out on so I checked Myles Turner's game log for his one season at Texas and in 68% of his games here, he scored 10 points or fewer.  But he was still a lottery pick because NBA GMs could see his potential and he's been a pretty solid NBA player, worthy of that lottery pick.  

Rick Barnes tried to keep Turner from being one and done. He thought that if he benched him and kept his production low, scouts wouldn't be so interested in him and he could get him to stay at Texas for another year. This backfired on Rick because not only did the scouts see through this and maintain their interest in Turner anyway, all of the UT fans that season said "WTF is our best player doing on the bench?" I doubt Shaka will try this with Hayes, though he may keep him on a pretty tight leash. My guess though is that we are seeing a lot of Jaxson Hayes by season's end this year.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

7 hours ago, Fastbreak said:

10 points, 4 boards a game. Managed 8 points, 3 boards versus the mighty Radford <too lazy to look up mascot>. Why isn't he in line for the #1 pick?

He plays half a game and is shooting 70%. He likely would be sitting at 15 and 8 if moved to as many minutes as Roach and Osetwhatever...

Edited by pacman

1 hour ago, Cameltoe said:

Rick Barnes tried to keep Turner from being one and done. He thought that if he benched him and kept his production low, scouts wouldn't be so interested in him and he could get him to stay at Texas for another year. This backfired on Rick because not only did the scouts see through this and maintain their interest in Turner anyway, all of the UT fans that season said "WTF is our best player doing on the bench?" I doubt Shaka will try this with Hayes, though he may keep him on a pretty tight leash. My guess though is that we are seeing a lot of Jaxson Hayes by season's end this year.

That is not why he was benched, everybody knew he was a 1-year rental from the jump.

Yeah, there was no shot of Myles Turner staying for a 2nd year regardless of what Rick Barnes did.  I believe he was something like the #2 prospect in his class, there was no possibility ever of Myles Turner being more than a 1 year rental.

Jaxson Hayes is also having his playing time limited as well.  Myles Turner averaged 22.2 MPG at Texas, while Hayes is currently at 21.0 MPG so it's not like he's getting more time than Turner to compile those stats so I'd say that's a pretty apt comparison.  Jaxson Hayes is playing a minute per game less than Turner and is averaging 10.3 ppg while Turner average 10.1 ppg at Texas.  Those numbers don't jump off the page at you but that's why you draft players off potential and not college production, and thus why scoring only 10 points against Radford doesn't mean anything for his draft status.

1 hour ago, justinjc7 said:

Yeah, there was no shot of Myles Turner staying for a 2nd year regardless of what Rick Barnes did.  I believe he was something like the #2 prospect in his class, there was no possibility ever of Myles Turner being more than a 1 year rental.

This simply isn't true. At the very least, nothing of this nature was apparent at the time Turner was at UT. People saw him riding pine at Texas, not in the starting lineup, and said one of two things: The majority of people said "it looks like Myles Turner was a bit over-rated and has significant basketball learning to do before he is at the NCAA level", and the minority of people said "why the hell is Turner on the bench when his efficiency stats are just fine?"

So it was not apparent at all at that time that Turner would pan out as an NBA prospect and many doubted that he would, seemingly Rick Barnes included. I believe in the mind of Rick Barnes there definitely was hope of a 2nd year at Texas for Turner. If this isn't the case, then it's difficult to explain Rick's behavior. If you think Rick wasn't trying to keep Turner around, then his personnel choices that year look even crazier.

Turner was 4th on the team in minutes, 3rd in FGA, and 3rd in points. He was benched for the same reasons that every player gets benched under Rick Barnes, and the idea that Rick tried being mean to him as a strategy to keep him around is so fucking stupid that only one poster here could acuslly think that. And yes, it was always known that Turner would be a one and done. That is a fact.